Mechanical Arm

If you want to get banned, this is the place to post.
finite8

Mechanical Arm

Post by finite8 »

I know the title doesn't describe it very well, but for all my google searchings, it is the only phrase that returns results for what I'm thinking to help visualize it.

In a nutshell: A Mechanism that works similar to a pulley, but pulls AND pushes platforms along all 3 axis and uses "Mechanical Joints" instead of Ropes.

Why it is relevant to BTW: It is simple, useful, expandable, and while it may not fit in with the current "Stone Age" feel to BTW... it may fit in with the later stages.

Pros:
- Adds a new mechanism that should improve game-play flexibility without being overpowered.
- Difficulty to construct should keep it in a relevant position in tech tree.

Cons:
- Making Platforms move Horizontally may be too technically difficult to implement.
- May add too much of a "Steam Punk" feel that could conflict with the current mods direction.

Details:

Take the following image as an example
Spoiler
Show
Ignoring the boxing glove on the end of it, you have a mechanical arm that can stretch as far as the number of Mechanical Joints on it. To use such a device, you would place a special Mechanical receiving block... lets call it "Mechanism". This has an inventory the same as a pulley does. The direction you place it is the direction the mechanical arm will stretch out from (i.e: placed like a Dispenser).

This would not replace Pistons as i don't think such a mechanism should be able to move blocks but instead, it should be able to move Platforms the same way as a pulley does with a few exceptions:
- When the "Mechanism" has a redstone signal, it is set to "extend" and when it there is no redstone signal, it is set to "retract".
- It will only be able to extend OR retract when it receives mechanical energy from a connected axle.
- It connects to an Anchor and uses the same platform moving mechanics as per normal (the anchor MUST face the Mechanical arm).
- It can push/pull a platform both Horizontally AND Vertically.
- Same rules the can cause a Rope to break can also cause the Mechanical Joints to break.

Such a device would obviously emphasize Iron use over other materials. Construction of its components should be dependant on other BTW components. If more metalworking based items are coming in BTW, then constructing the finer mechanical components would require working with hardened forms of Iron such as Steel.
Flowerchild (IRC) wrote:I'm not trying to stop you BTW ..., I'm saying that I think you're a piece of shit...not the same thing
Thieme

Re: Mechanical Arm

Post by Thieme »

If you speak of the vertical arrangement it is also known as a scissorlift dunno how you would call the same thing in horizontal arrangement tho :/
grimper12341

Post by grimper12341 »

Horizontal arrangement would have to have something underneath the block being pushed/pulled tho, else the arm would bend or break under the strain.
finite8

Post by finite8 »

grimper12341 wrote:Horizontal arrangement would have to have something underneath the block being pushed/pulled tho, else the arm would bend or break under the strain.
This is a game where you can have an entire mountain balance on top of a single fence post. I'm not entirely sure Physics accuracy is all that relevant :)
Flowerchild (IRC) wrote:I'm not trying to stop you BTW ..., I'm saying that I think you're a piece of shit...not the same thing
grimper12341

Post by grimper12341 »

So how come axles break under their own weight then.
Minecraft forums thread OP wrote:18)Axle: The Axle is to mechanical devices what Redstone Wire is to circuits. It acts as a means of transmitting mechanical power. Note that only 3 axles may be placed in a row if they are receiving power. Trying to extend them further than this will result in the Axle breaking under the strain of its own weight. If you wish to power devices further away, then a Gear Box will be required.
Urian

Post by Urian »

[quote="grimper12341"]So how come axles break under their own weight then.
/quote]

That's the narrative explanation to a behavior stemming from the game mechanics. The meta data for an axle won't allow it to work for a longer span than 3 axles and thus FC has it breaking so that people won't go "WhY iT n0 w0rkZ?".

Also,. having a mountain balance on a fencepost isn't that weird (theoretically it's possible :p ), you can build a dam for lava made out of snow.
FlowerChild: Ice in deserts is a good idea
grimper12341

Post by grimper12341 »

...so shouldn't we stick to the narrative then for consistency?