New Release! (BTW V3.61)

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: New Release! (BTW V3.61)

Post by FlowerChild »

TheAnarchitect wrote: I too thought that having the BD put the minecart in the second block was intentional: It allowed me to grab the minecart from one track and put in on another track.
Nah, that was a bug introduced when I refactored some of the BD code awhile ago. I'm surprised nobody reported it as it was also causing arrows to fly through solid blocks and that kind of thing.

I discovered it while testing the firing of dynamite from the BD.
TheAnarchitect

Post by TheAnarchitect »

I think no one reported it because we were too busy using it.
The infinitely extendable Pottery system
Real Life is an Anarchy Server.
Deepsniper

Post by Deepsniper »

FlowerChild wrote:Version 3.61 of Better Than Wolves is ready for download!]

-Added Redneck Fishing. Yeehaaaaa!
Sweet! just wait till i get my dinamite!
FlowerChild wrote:Version 3.61 of Better Than Wolves is ready for download!]

-Fixed problem with still being able to tell rabid wolves to sit after feeding them wolf chops. Many wolves were harmed in the making of this feature...and how I laughed.
Guess that ruins my plans for the wolf in a jar museum...

Thanks once sgain for the update FC!
Panda

Post by Panda »

This update has 'eye opening'. :)
Never say no to Panda.
darahalian

Post by darahalian »

I always like your 'small bug-fix updates', there's usually something awesome thrown in as well! Time to go fishing!
FlowerChild wrote:Remain ever vigilant against the groth menace my friends. Early detection is crucial in avoiding a full-blown groth epidemic.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

darahalian wrote:I always like your 'small bug-fix updates', there's usually something awesome thrown in as well! Time to go fishing!
Well, this one actually turned out to be a major bug-fixing update, at least in terms of the work involved :)

I think it will be very good for the mod in the long-run though as it caused me to dig deep into the chunk load/save code for MC, which is something I always had a tendency to avoid. I've already got a few items on my todo list that have resulted, that should serve to further stabilize mod blocks under those circumstances.

It's not the kind of thing that contributes much to the "wow" factor overall...but it definitely helps big-time with overall reliability, and thus suspension of disbelief.
embirrim

Post by embirrim »

FlowerChild wrote:
There's no immediate advantage that I know of to giving the soul-sand planters a standard bounding box (like, nothing you can automate now because of it). I did it for the sake of consistency and because it opens up such possibilities in the future. The non-standard box was also no longer required, allowing me to trim out that code.
Yes I suppose consistency is good. Maybe one day we'll be able to use lava as an item transporter in the nether =D
FlowerChild wrote: I'm not against other people using it if they see fit, but it's definitely not for me, and for the kind of mod I'm making, I think it would actually serve to decrease revenue overall.

So yeah, absolutely not going to happen :)
Hm yes, that makes sense. To be honest, I have no idea of adfly revenue.
Really, move donation button up =D eriottosan is totally right.
ninjapenguin23

Post by ninjapenguin23 »

Redneck Fishing. Yeehaaaaa!
I immediately thought of this:
Spoiler
Show
slightly different, but still.

also, since the bloodwood sapling that drops is a custom entity, couldn't an item be dropped through some sort of fire-resistant gel and become a fireproof copy of itself so that it could be transported with lava for some period of time, when it would turn back into the original entity, whether it was in lava or not?
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Dude. Don't make feature request/suggestions on the release thread. Also that's not gonna happen...
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Sarudak wrote:Dude. Don't make feature request/suggestions on the release thread. Also that's not gonna happen...

Post by 001010 »

Awesome! At first I didn't even understand what you ment by redneck fishing, and only realized what you ment when I was messing around with the unlit dynamite.

Needless to say, I was very surprised.
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

Redneck fishing is great. I nearly died laughing when I first tried it. I remember this as a reply to a suggestion about hoppers collecting fish. I didn't think this was going to be added anytime in the near future. So, thanks for the pleasant surprise. This feature also convinced me to start a 1.2.5 btw pure world (I was using btw). I had been planning on doing it, but this sold it.
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
RenEvo

Post by RenEvo »

Congrats on the release!! Wish I wasn't so busy :(
FlowerChild wrote:Version 3.49 of Better Than Wolves
-Added ability for villagers to toss the milk.
YouTube | Twitch
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

RenEvo wrote:Congrats on the release!! Wish I wasn't so busy :(
Thanks man! Definitely miss having you around, and hope that you're getting through the hellish period at work ok :)
Dry Paratroopa

Post by Dry Paratroopa »

Redneck fishing is like using that fish-creating special ability in the Tribal stage of Spore, except very explosive and fricking hilarious (the Yeeehaaa also reminded me of when you launch an ICBM later on in the same game). The fishing rod is now a useless stick. So, sweetness. Awesome job FC.
Both the Colosseum of the past and the Hunger Games of the (supposed) future stem from the fact that life is simply a competition to see who can live the longest.
kregoth

Post by kregoth »

FlowerChild wrote:Well, I don't want to turn this into an overall revenue thread, but for several reasons:

a) I hate internet ads.
b) To me, using the mod to promote random products I know nothing about is full-out "corporate whore" behavior. To me, it's a completely different thing from accepting voluntary contributions.
c) The revenue you can expect to get from ad-fly is seriously trivial and is unlikely to total over the course of a month what a single decent donation is likely to bring in.
d) I think it serves to discourage donations as people figure your revenue is coming from elsewhere, and it also serves to annoy them.
e) It encourages questionable behavior like splitting your mod into 5 different downloads, because that behavior becomes "correct" given the business model involved, and if you've ever been through that kind of download process as a player, it seriously sucks ass. When I was actively developing BTB, there were occasions where knowing I had to go through it actually caused me to procrastinate about updating the mod.
f) It promotes mod development where more downloads = more money, which will inevitably compromise design integrity...especially of this mod. This feeds back into possibly decreasing donations as I'd then potentially be catering to the kind of players that don't make them (i.e. kids).

I'm not against other people using it if they see fit, but it's definitely not for me, and for the kind of mod I'm making, I think it would actually serve to decrease revenue overall.

So yeah, absolutely not going to happen :)
100% agree with you it is exactly what I think of ad.fly as well. I have never really liked the fact that MCF allowed it.

I think the only really sure way is to show it everywhere. What I mean by that is most people are just looking for the download and pretty much disregard everything else except the release notes. You might want to attach the donate button to your signature, or every time you post a new version.

Or hand draw us shit for donating like Todayone hahaha :P
FlowerChild wrote:My theory is that stupidity acts like an infectious organism on the net. Unless it's regularly pruned from your "garden", it will inevitably overwhelm it and kill off everything else.
tedium

Post by tedium »

Gormador wrote:It wouldn't make sense that water destroys water source block. Or I'm missing something in basic water properties... ^^
And suggesting something about a brand new addition to the mod in the release thread isn't always a good idea ;-) (like, probably never)
hehe yeh, i didn't think about the way i worded it. should have left it as the question of "does dynamite destroy water source blocks" and then test played myself before thinking it would be cool.

i do have another question though... does the biome you are in have any effect on fishing? or is it purely based upon the number of water blocks? actually, scrap that as a question. i don't want an answer, i just want people to test it for me, because i'm not ready to update still XD

final not-a-real-question-or-suggestion... can too much dynamite in a pond rip open a dimensional vortex and summon Cthulhu? can it please? XD

i think i'm just over excited about dynamite fishing. i'll stop asking questions now until i've actually updated :)
FlowerChild makes heroes of us all, and gives us battle axes where we had swords weak as zombie paws.
Ethazeriel

Post by Ethazeriel »

Found what looks like a small bug with platforms: sometimes when they are going down, it is not possible to jump while standing on them. I had reproduced this a few times in my world, though I could not manage to do it going up.

Also thank you very much for the release, fish automation woooo!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Briali wrote:Found what looks like a small bug with platforms: sometimes when they are going down, it is not possible to jump while standing on them. I had reproduced this a few times in my world, though I could not manage to do it going up.
Submit a bug-report please. This isn't the place for it, and I doubt it was introduced in this release.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Briali wrote:Found what looks like a small bug with platforms: sometimes when they are going down, it is not possible to jump while standing on them. I had reproduced this a few times in my world, though I could not manage to do it going up.
Nevermind...fixed it :)
Poppycocks

Post by Poppycocks »

FlowerChild wrote:
Nevermind...fixed it :)
Oh wow, that was quick.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Poppycocks wrote: Oh wow, that was quick.
I've got a good handle on the Pulley/Platform code now. I actually just took care of the last bug related to them too (items jerking when dropped on a moving plat).

I was avoiding that code for a long time because I knew the amount of work involved in correcting the problems associated with it. Now that I've taken care of that, it shouldn't be an issue anymore.

But no, before someone inevitably asks...I'm not going to make them move sideways ;)
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Poppycocks wrote:Oh wow, that was quick.
that's what she said

Bah, it's killing me not playing these updates :/ this is the third one :3

somewhat automating fishing seems like a nice way to get back into things though, with luck.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
Gormador

Post by Gormador »

FlowerChild wrote: But no, before someone inevitably asks...I'm not going to make them move sideways ;)
I would love to see a troll about that. You know, some edited images (or stop motion) put together. We would hear about it for months ! That would definitely be cool for a good laugh :p

But no, not worth the effort !
FlowerChild wrote:If you have a suggestion, I recommend that it have pure manna from heaven flowing forth from its vagina to warrant posting it at this point in time.
risingphoenix

Post by risingphoenix »

*whimper* damn work and damn school to the depths of hades for keeping me from updating, just one month to go before I'm free! Thanks again for all your hard work FC, I'd donate if I had any money, but I'm sure you know how school can be :-)
IowaGuy wrote: Because if one is going to build a cow farm it should be a glorious automated symphony of cows doing the saw mill boogey.