Mike the mighty squirrel tamer...

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
Panda

Mike the mighty squirrel tamer...

Post by Panda »

So yeah hanging out with my home slice today and this is what he did....

How does that even work?? I mean how do you convince a squirrel that your not a threat...

So yes that was todays adventure. C:
Spoiler
Show
Last edited by Panda on Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Never say no to Panda.
kregoth

Re: Mike the mighty squirrel tamer...

Post by kregoth »

First of all !spoilers! lol, second that's not being friendly, I see a squirrel acting friendly just so he can sink his teeth deeper :P
FlowerChild wrote:My theory is that stupidity acts like an infectious organism on the net. Unless it's regularly pruned from your "garden", it will inevitably overwhelm it and kill off everything else.
Panda

Post by Panda »

kregoth wrote:First of all !spoilers! lol, second that's not being friendly, I see a squirrel acting friendly just so he can sink his teeth deeper :P
No that was just from his nails running around on him : ] he didnt bite
Never say no to Panda.
Horizon

Post by Horizon »

terrible idea.

Somewhat related,
egscomics.com
in that there is a friendly squirrel/hot chick.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
TheHoboHunted

Post by TheHoboHunted »

First of all:

"BAAAAWWW!!!" :D

Second:

I'd keep a close eye on your friend. Rabies is unfortunately common among squirrels, one of the symptoms being a lax attitude unto possible threats. I haven't verified this in the least, just something I was taught when I was younger. Chances are I'm wrong though and Mike is truly a squirrel whisperer.

Either way, I envy his power/cojones.

[Edit]
Just read there was no bite, but picture evidence shows that it's mouth at one point partially enveloped Mike's finger. Transmission occurs through saliva. As long as he washed his hands afterwards / Didn't have any open wounds at the sight, I'd say he'll be / is just fine.

Sorry about being paranoid. But it worried me.
Last edited by TheHoboHunted on Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
FlowerChild wrote:Hehe...when have any of my additions to the game been innocent? :)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Yeah, I second the rabies warning. Danger man. Seriously.
TheAnarchitect

Post by TheAnarchitect »

I have a squirrel who lives on my front porch who I've named "Gadara," which if you've read Jim Butcher's Furies of Calderon series you know means something like "Honored Enemy." The darn thing can disarm my squirrel traps like a first edition thief, and when I come out to chase it away it just sits their like "what, I'm supposed to run from you?"

There's also an albino squirrel in my neighborhood that I know I've shot and I know I hit, but the darn thing just stood and stared at me. I think it's the great ghost squirrel, spirit guardian to all squirrelkind.
The infinitely extendable Pottery system
Real Life is an Anarchy Server.
TheHoboHunted

Post by TheHoboHunted »

TheAnarchitect wrote:There's also an albino squirrel in my neighborhood that I know I've shot and I know I hit, but the darn thing just stood and stared at me. I think it's the great ghost squirrel, spirit guardian to all squirrelkind.
I want to call you Ahab now. Please compose literature regarding this encounter. :D

[Apologies for off-topic, Mike is still awesome.]
FlowerChild wrote:Hehe...when have any of my additions to the game been innocent? :)
Dry Paratroopa

Post by Dry Paratroopa »

You saw a rare albino squirrel and you decided the best thing to do was shoot it? Have you been playing lots of Duck Hunt in your basement lately?

This becomes more awesome when you realize that taming squirrels requires more than just chucking a favorite object (nuts) at them like you can for wolves.
Both the Colosseum of the past and the Hunger Games of the (supposed) future stem from the fact that life is simply a competition to see who can live the longest.
TheAnarchitect

Post by TheAnarchitect »

I was just learning to tan hides at the time, so yes my first instinct was to shoot it.

And HoboHunted? Sig change just for you.
Panda

Post by Panda »

so apparently him and his brother have actually petted it befor but that was the first time holding, they are nature nuts : )

They named him ashten lol
Never say no to Panda.
TheHoboHunted

Post by TheHoboHunted »

Well, I haven't been up 15 minutes today and this thread has already made it.

Very comforting to know that there was a preexisting relationship there. I can "B'aww" with relief. :D

I'd be interested in knowing more about how it came to be.

Also:
TheAnarchitect wrote:I was just learning to tan hides at the time, so yes my first instinct was to shoot it.

And HoboHunted? Sig change just for you.
You sir, are my hero.

"That ain't no squirrel; that a great white god." (I had to.)
TheAnarchitect

Post by TheAnarchitect »

Many wild animals, like squirrels, are tamable. The real difference between "Tame" and "Domesticated" is whether the children come out tame themselves. Takes many generations of selective breeding. The good news is that by being really really nice to it, you can in fact tame a squirrel and have a squirrel pet.

I'm really jealous of Mike, actually. I can't even get my cats to like me, much less a squirrel.