Nether Portal BooBoos

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
Eriottosan

Nether Portal BooBoos

Post by Eriottosan »

On my new main world (which I am doing 100% properly, hardcore bucket, BTW only (with a view to Kaos' add-on once it is using definitive blocks, and possibly Rausts' tools)), I have just reached the Nether. Yay! Other than the fact that I went through my portal, took one step outside of it ...
And
I
fell
down
down
down
into a lava lake. Whilst wearing my armour. Ah well, it was only iron I s'pose, and I didn't have anything special with me.
But now I'm faced with the difficult problem of building a cobblestone bridge to lead from my portal to the main-nether-land ... Because my freaking portal is floating around. And because this is to be my proper world, I can't turn off "hard" difficulty while I attempt this precarious and dangerous feat - no doubt Ghasts will want to interrupt this.

Has anyone else had this kind of experience with portals?

EDIT: 100th post :)
私は日本語が大好きだ。だから、私と話すとき、日本語で書けば、日本語で書いてください。
I like Japanese, can you tell?
Mr. B

Re: Nether Portal BooBoos

Post by Mr. B »

I've never had this experience of midair portal spawns, but it would seem that dismantling the Nether portal would be a faster alternative. Disassemble it on the Nether side, suicide, disassemble original portal, and try another location.

If you do decide to stick with the floating portal, try bringing a stack of sand or gravel to quickly descend, and then build some kind of path back up to the portal. It would probably be easier that way than trying to construct in midair while ghasts pummel you.
Gargantuan_Penguin

Post by Gargantuan_Penguin »

it happens to me quite often. though more often it is more of a peninsula than an island. the best solution is cement I find. you can make a narrow bridge of cobble and then pour cement over it a few times and voila, big old bridge.
And HOW!
Eriottosan

Post by Eriottosan »

Mr. B wrote:I've never had this experience of midair portal spawns, but it would seem that dismantling the Nether portal would be a faster alternative. Disassemble it on the Nether side, suicide, disassemble original portal, and try another location.

If you do decide to stick with the floating portal, try bringing a stack of sand or gravel to quickly descend, and then build some kind of path back up to the portal. It would probably be easier that way than trying to construct in midair while ghasts pummel you.
I wish I'd thought of that. But I'm halfway there now so I might as well stick with it ...
Gargantuan_Penguin wrote:it happens to me quite often. though more often it is more of a peninsula than an island. the best solution is cement I find. you can make a narrow bridge of cobble and then pour cement over it a few times and voila, big old bridge.
Yeah, but this is the first trip to the nether on this world ... which means no netherrack, which means no souls, which means no soul urns, which means no cement ... :P
Gargantuan_Penguin

Post by Gargantuan_Penguin »

yeah, that only occurred to me after I posted :P
but a 1 block cobble bridge will do you to start with I think. plus as far as I know ghasts cannot break cobble.
And HOW!
Eriottosan

Post by Eriottosan »

I figure I might as well break my no-uploads-till-may rule as it's only 3 screenshots ... but here is my lovely solution (using about a chest's worth of cobblestone ...):
Spoiler
Show
From the portal.
Spoiler
Show
Looking at the portal.
Spoiler
Show
Looking up my staircase.
PureZaros

Post by PureZaros »

This is by far the weirdest thing that has happened to me in the nether:
Spoiler
Show
By purezaros at 2012-04-28
By purezaros at 2012-04-28
This world was more of a screw-around world, but still. WTF?
Spoiler
Show
FlowerChild wrote:
Panda wrote:Edit: Thanks for the sticky good sir. <3
I really wish more women said things like this.
National Zombie

Post by National Zombie »

I normally enter the nether into a small cramped cove with no way out... i then have to pick a direction and mine the crap out of the netherrack to find the "main open bit" i've traveled over 180 blocks in every direction (except up or down)...

The nether is never kind to me... my most recent (not the one im working on right now) i would enter my portal in my church... enter the nether do my business.... leave though the same portal i entered and appear in a cave about 40 blocks away under water... I always had to take a boat with me... was rather annoying...
Kazuya Mishima

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

Typically i get lucky with my first gate into the nether in that they tend to spawn in the main nether cave system. There where occasions when i was spawning UNDER the lava seas which was ridiculous. I think your situation is somewhat worse though or would be for me because i hate building cobble bridges, it feels like cheating.

I have had occasions where 2nd and 3rd gates spawn over the lava seas but this isn't a problem as i've started to use build my nether constructions from the nether roof downward, replacing all my nethergates in the cave proper above the nether ceiling.

BTW ropes and anchors make this an enjoyable experience because you can actually descend from the ceilig without placing some foundation for descending.

Can you make your way up instead of horizontal ? would that be easier? Then destroy your entry gate that spawned in the nether and rebuild it in the ceiling.
Stormweaver

Re: Nether Portal BOOBS

Post by Stormweaver »

Lol.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Eriottosan wrote:EDIT: 100th post :)
boobs? Tsk tsk Erio, that's a 1 week ban for you.
TheAnarchitect

Post by TheAnarchitect »

Ummm... I'm pretty sure that "boobs" is part of Battosay's "drunken moderation" initiative, under "innappropriate thread titles." I wouldn't blame Eriottosan on that.
The infinitely extendable Pottery system
Real Life is an Anarchy Server.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

TheAnarchitect wrote:Ummm... I'm pretty sure that "boobs" is part of Battosay's "drunken moderation" initiative, under "innappropriate thread titles." I wouldn't blame Eriottosan on that.
Humor fail <crawls back in corner to drink more>
TheAnarchitect

Post by TheAnarchitect »

Hmm. Maybe the problem is that I'm not drunk.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

TheAnarchitect wrote:Hmm. Maybe the problem is that I'm not drunk.
Neither am I...yet.
Yamboyz1

Post by Yamboyz1 »

FlowerChild wrote:
TheAnarchitect wrote:Hmm. Maybe the problem is that I'm not drunk.
Neither am I...yet.
May you give us all a heads-up on when that's gonna be, FlowerChild? I need to batten down the hatches in advance.
Last edited by Yamboyz1 on Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other.

-Abraham Lincoln
TheAnarchitect

Post by TheAnarchitect »

And I'll hatchet down the bats.
Horizon

Post by Horizon »

What was that about not being drunk?
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
TheAnarchitect

Post by TheAnarchitect »

Oh no, this is me sober. I've never been drunk. Even I don't want to see that.
Yamboyz1

Post by Yamboyz1 »

TheAnarchitect wrote:Oh no, this is me sober. I've never been drunk. Even I don't want to see that.
On your feet, Horizon, this could be a trap...
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other.

-Abraham Lincoln
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

You generally don't have to batten down the hatches when I get drunk. Things just get chaotic, and I get talkative, but it rarely (if ever) puts me in a bad mood.
TheAnarchitect

Post by TheAnarchitect »

Yamboyz1 wrote:
No trap. I don't have a lot of inhibitions to begin with, I really, really don't need a disinhibitor. In fact, I mostly use mind altering substances to get more sober than I am by default.
Yamboyz1

Post by Yamboyz1 »

TheAnarchitect wrote:
Yamboyz1 wrote:
No trap. I don't have a lot of inhibitions to begin with, I really, really don't need a disinhibitor. In fact, I mostly use mind altering substances to get more sober than I am by default.
You're definitely a master of the mindfuck, Anarch.

-Abraham Lincoln
Eriottosan

Post by Eriottosan »

TheAnarchitect wrote:Ummm... I'm pretty sure that "boobs" is part of Battosay's "drunken moderation" initiative, under "innappropriate thread titles." I wouldn't blame Eriottosan on that.
Thanks, Anarchitect, would have been upsetting to have found myself with a ban for Battosay's drunken fun! Though I don't blame you for your reaction, FC. You do such a good job moderating these forums :). To be honest, when I looked at the list of active titles this morning, I thought we'd been overrun by trolls creating parodies of threads while I was asleep. The fact that it was Battosay made me hoot with laughter :').

So what's happening now, do we change our titles back to their originals, or leave them as they are as tribute to Battosay's entertainment?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Eriottosan wrote: Thanks, Anarchitect, would have been upsetting to have found myself with a ban for Battosay's drunken fun! Though I don't blame you for your reaction, FC. You do such a good job moderating these forums :). To be honest, when I looked at the list of active titles this morning, I thought we'd been overrun by trolls creating parodies of threads while I was asleep. The fact that it was Battosay made me hoot with laughter :').

So what's happening now, do we change our titles back to their originals, or leave them as they are as tribute to Battosay's entertainment?
Please leave them as is until Battosay at least awakes with a hangover :)