Storage methods for common materials

If you want to get banned, this is the place to post.
DaveYanakov

Storage methods for common materials

Post by DaveYanakov »

I'm hesitant to make any suggestions at all this month but the number of tile entities I've had to use for storage has really started to tax my system.

Basically I'd like to see a method using either machinery or a simple anvil recipe to create two tiers of item form storage for things like dirt, cobble and other very common materials. Being able to compress my bulk goods storage by a 16:1 ratio would allow me to remove a ludicrous number of chests and kill a lot of lag.
Better is the enemy of Good
Elevatator

Re: Storage methods for common materials

Post by Elevatator »

I´dont see how this would logically work, but I could advice you the backpack mod, where you can craft (if you want coloured) backpacks, and name then: http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/741 ... k-ssp-smp/
You can storage much more materials in one chest (or your inventar) with this mod.
⠀⠀⠀⢀⣀⣠⣤⣤⣤⣶⣶⣶⣦⡀
⠀⠀⢠⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣦
⠀⢀⣾⣿⣿⠟⠉⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠻⣿⣿⣷⣄
⠀⣼⣿⣿⠏⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠘⣿⣿⣿⣧
⣰⣿⣿⣿⡀⠀⢀⣴⣾⠿⣵⣦⠀⠀⣿⣿⣿⠇
⠙⢿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠈⠛⠁⠀⠈⠁⠀⣠⣿⣿⡏
⠀⠀⠻⣿⣿⣷⣤⣀⣀⢀⣀⣠⣾⣿⣿⡿
⠀⠀⠀⠈⢻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡥⠤⠒⣢
⠀⠀⠀⠀⣀⣽⣿⣿⡿⠿⠿⠛⠉⠁⣀⣤⣶⠟⠁
⠀⠀⢴⣭⣥⣶⣾⣿⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⠁
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣿⣿⣿⡷⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⣧⡀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢾⣿⣿⣿⣤⣤⣤⣤⣤⣼⣿⣿⣿⠇
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

As much as I would love to see something like this, I don't think it's the kind of thing BTW would add
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

FC's stated in the past that he doesn't want to add storage blocks for common vMC matirials without there being good reason within the context of the mod - something about a slippery slope and all that. You're likely best off either getting rid of some of that stone (better to have a machine make it on demand) or getting a mod that specifically gives you more storage space per tile entity.

It'd be like asking flower to make quad-chickens because my games lags too much when I have 400 chickens, but I'm fine with 100 chickens.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Stormweaver wrote: It'd be like asking flower to make quad-chickens because my games lags too much when I have 400 chickens, but I'm fine with 100 chickens.
Tell me more about these quad-chickens :)
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

FlowerChild wrote:
Stormweaver wrote: It'd be like asking flower to make quad-chickens because my games lags too much when I have 400 chickens, but I'm fine with 100 chickens.
Chickens with four heads, eight breasts, and confined to little chicken-y wheelchairs?
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
Husbag3

Post by Husbag3 »

By the sounds of it, your not even going to use such a large amount. Why not just burn it?
If the minecraft world is infinite, why does the sun still rotate around it?
backspace119

Post by backspace119 »

FlowerChild wrote:

forget quad chickens make something more useless like hex squids XD (then add in some metadata( btw thx for explanation researched a little more and it is suddenly clear why there were all the facepalms XD) )
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

FlowerChild wrote:
heh, it's actually something I came up with when brainstorming ideas for nethermobs a while back. Be like a hydra-chicken, spitting eggs to force you into lava or something :) Then I realized that, other than for a nice bit of egg production, smart players would probably just hatch normal chickens.

Plus, blood spiders sounded cooler.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Stormweaver wrote: heh, it's actually something I came up with when brainstorming ideas for nethermobs a while back. Be like a hydra-chicken, spitting eggs to force you into lava or something :) Then I realized that, other than for a nice bit of egg production, smart players would probably just hatch normal chickens.

Plus, blood spiders sounded cooler.
May I put forth a counter-proposal for 4-wheel-drive all-terrain chickens (maybe with deployable pontoons)?
Gargantuan_Penguin

Post by Gargantuan_Penguin »

FlowerChild wrote: May I put forth a counter-proposal for 4-wheel-drive all-terrain chickens (maybe with deployable pontoons)?
why not just have a jumbo jet chicken? for all of steves travel needs. just think "thank you for flying magic chicken airways."
And HOW!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Gargantuan_Penguin wrote: why not just have a jumbo jet chicken? for all of steves travel needs. just think "thank you for flying magic chicken airways."
No, I want to keep the air-lanes free for the turtles.
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

FlowerChild wrote:
Gargantuan_Penguin wrote: why not just have a jumbo jet chicken? for all of steves travel needs. just think "thank you for flying magic chicken airways."
No, I want to keep the air-lanes free for the turtles.
Damn skippy. We earned our elitist swine with wings and armor status... somehow... And we ought to be able to enjoy it!
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

For those of you who may not know the origin of the whole "Flying Turtle" thing, it actually goes way back to someone responding to an idiotic tech-support request on MCF with the following:

OneTripleZero

Post by OneTripleZero »

FlowerChild wrote:For those of you who may not know the origin of the whole "Flying Turtle" thing, it actually goes way back to someone responding to an idiotic tech-support request on MCF with the following:
Funny that when I heard the term used here, I actually thought of that pic, never imagining that they were actually related. Little bits of history are awesome.
Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for Humanity - Horace Mann
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

OneTripleZero wrote: Funny that when I heard the term used here, I actually thought of that pic, never imagining that they were actually related. Little bits of history are awesome.
Yeah, in the days that followed the posting of that pic, I began to refer to those that helped out on the MCF thread answering questions and doing tech-support and such (for which I was infinitely grateful as the mod got more popular) as "Flying Turtles".

Seemed natural to carry that over when we moved to the new forums :)
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

I always wondered about that... Thanks, that is a very interesting piece of BTW history.
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

FlowerChild wrote:Seemed natural to carry that over when we moved to the new forums :)
Interestingly, whenever I've said "I'm a flying turtle of BTW" (normally in response to 'did u make teh mod' thanks to me avatar, or when introducing myself to livestreamers and such) It's never once had it's meaning questioned.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Stormweaver wrote: Interestingly, whenever I've said "I'm a flying turtle of BTW" (normally in response to 'did u make teh mod' thanks to me avatar, or when introducing myself to livestreamers and such) It's never once had it's meaning questioned.
Hehe...I think in general once you say something beyond a certain weirdness quotient, people feel strange even asking you what you mean :)
Zhil

Post by Zhil »

You know what is most interesting? I've been part of two Minecraft communities, this one and Vowelcraft. At Vowelcraft, the donators were called Sea Turtles. So, since I've been playing Minecraft, I've been a Sea Turtle and a Flying Turtle :)

Silly things in life that crack me up :)
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

FlowerChild wrote:Lil' bit of history
Huh, ya know. I never once asked myself where the name came from, but know I can't stop wondering why? Regardless its still interesting to know.
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

Husbag3 wrote:By the sounds of it, your not even going to use such a large amount. Why not just burn it?
I'm actually going to be using about five times the amount I currently have. It's just coming in faster than I can place it.

And I was talking about storage items, not blocks. Adding Block IDs just for cobble storage would be silly. Also, quad chickens would rock. Best derail this board has ever seen.

In addition to the weirdness quotient, it's contextually obvious what calling yourself a flying turtle means if you have any brain at all. For those who don't the embarrassment of the weirdness quotient is tripled.
Better is the enemy of Good
Joeyjoebob

Post by Joeyjoebob »

DaveYanakov wrote:
I'm actually going to be using about five times the amount I currently have. It's just coming in faster than I can place it.

And I was talking about storage items, not blocks. Adding Block IDs just for cobble storage would be silly. Also, quad chickens would rock. Best derail this board has ever seen.

In addition to the weirdness quotient, it's contextually obvious what calling yourself a flying turtle means if you have any brain at all. For those who don't the embarrassment of the weirdness quotient is tripled.
By storage items, you're making me think of a type of item I think I saw in Forestry called a crate where you craft together one type of item for mass storage. Is this what you're referring to, because if so I might be able to get behind something like that.
TheAnarchitect wrote:
TaterBoy wrote:Well, now I know. And as GI-Joe says, knowing is half the battle. :)
The other half is violence...
Itamarcu

Post by Itamarcu »

Did you just necro to say "There is a mod for that"?
You know what you should read? Worm. Here you go: https://parahumans.wordpress.com/catego ... tion/1-01/
Joeyjoebob

Post by Joeyjoebob »

itamarcu wrote:Did you just necro to say "There is a mod for that"?
No I was saying I supported the idea of an addition like this to BTW, and also I was trying to explain to everyone else in the thread because it seemed like everyone was thinking he was referring to something like a backpack. Didn't realize I had necroed.
TheAnarchitect wrote:
TaterBoy wrote:Well, now I know. And as GI-Joe says, knowing is half the battle. :)
The other half is violence...