New Release! (BTW V3.52)

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: New Release! (BTW V3.52)

Post by FlowerChild »

Poppycocks wrote:
embirrim wrote:oh, pity, I was expecting nether sludge to be also used as substitute for clay blocks, allowing for total nether soul urn automation, what with the bloodwood->potash recipes and all. Oh well =D
Oh wow, not bad.
Yeah, not bad at all actually. I hadn't even considered the possibility of making Pottery out of the stuff, but it makes total sense.

I'll ponder it.
TheHoboHunted

Post by TheHoboHunted »

FlowerChild wrote:
Spoiler
Show
Poppycocks wrote:
embirrim wrote:oh, pity, I was expecting nether sludge to be also used as substitute for clay blocks, allowing for total nether soul urn automation, what with the bloodwood->potash recipes and all. Oh well =D
Oh wow, not bad.
Yeah, not bad at all actually. I hadn't even considered the possibility of making Pottery out of the stuff, but it makes total sense.

I'll ponder it.
A Nether Brick Kiln would look pretty slick too. /semantics

I actually tried to make one thinking it might work, but it said there was no way...

As always, a most awesome job with the update sir. More toys to tinker with. =D
FlowerChild wrote:Hehe...when have any of my additions to the game been innocent? :)
lostone1993

Post by lostone1993 »

Cool cant wait to download, more challedges to automate :)

Though I feel like I may have missed an update somewhere

Cant wait to download
Under many names
lost-one
Spoiler
Show
My Youtube
My WIP Fan Mission for SS2(youtube)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

TheHoboHunted wrote: A Nether Brick Kiln would look pretty slick too. /semantics
Ack. And here begins the slippery slope when I add in a quick simple feature largely for aesthetic purposes :)

Let this serve as an example of why I am often so reluctant to add in "quick" features. They often have a whole can of "but, why can't it do this?" worms behind them ;)
steveman0

Post by steveman0 »

Hmmm, looks like a reason to spend more time in the nether. I might need to consider trying a bloodwood tree farm. I'm still looking for a reasonable way to generate a decent amount of wood and now I've got even more reasons especially since blood wood is worth even more to me now. Now to find a good design...
Kazuya Mishima

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

Has anybody tried to use potash in teh production of nether sludge? it seems suspicious that FC would add an additional way to get potash, if i recall potash only had two functionalities, 1 to bleach dyed wool and 2 to get soap which itself didn't have much functionality at the present.
embirrim

Post by embirrim »

FlowerChild wrote: Yeah, not bad at all actually. I hadn't even considered the possibility of making Pottery out of the stuff, but it makes total sense.

I'll ponder it.
That's a "nearly not minecraft" boner.

But seriously, I really thought it was the actual intention, to revolutionize pottery in the Nether! As you said, it makes total sense.
TheHoboHunted

Post by TheHoboHunted »

Bleh, knew I should have kept my trap shut.

Sorry FC.
FlowerChild wrote:Hehe...when have any of my additions to the game been innocent? :)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

TheHoboHunted wrote:Bleh, knew I should have kept my trap shut.

Sorry FC.
Oh, not a problem man. It's a natural enough thing to ask, but just a cautionary tale about adding seemingly simple features in general ;)
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

FlowerChild wrote:Oh, not a problem man. It's a natural enough thing to ask, but just a cautionary tale about adding seemingly simple features in general ;)
Yeah, I was actually contemplating turtling it if FC didn't respond. It's a good idea, but with some minor catches attached.
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

All right, in case people are still struggling with the Nether Sludge recipe, I'll leak some additional info.

As mentioned before, this process is related to that of creating dynamite in the mod.

However, you'll note that there's something in the dynamite recipe that differs drastically from the real-world method of creating it, namely, the Hellfire Dust.

So, what chemical properties does that tend to suggest about Hellfire Dust?
Panda

Post by Panda »

Ey ya throws the dust of theye deepest earth with theye boiled growing earth! :D
Never say no to Panda.
Ribky

Post by Ribky »

This is what I get upon return from my long journey to Upstate NY.

Thank you FC. Thank you very much.
The spice must flow...

[03:28] <Detritus_> Weird, I'm still logged in her
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

...and what should be a final clue...

Kazuya Mishima

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

FlowerChild wrote:...and what should be a final clue...
I knew it had something to do with potash. You implicitly implied as much with the new methods of synthesizing it.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Kazuya Mishima wrote: I knew it had something to do with potash. You implicitly implied as much with the new methods of synthesizing it.
Honestly, I thought this would be a lot easier to figure out.

The use of Tallow and Hellfire Dust in the dynamite recipe suggests that the Hellfire Dust has acidic properties and is a substitute for the use of Sulfuric and Nitric Acid in the real world production of Nitroglycerin (with the Tallow providing the Glycerin).

To neutralize an acid, you'd need a base. And there's only one item in the mod that is related to a strong base (Caustic Potash or Lye).
Ribky

Post by Ribky »

FlowerChild wrote: Honestly, I thought this would be a lot easier to figure out.

The use of Tallow and Hellfire Dust in the dynamite recipe suggests that the Hellfire Dust has acidic properties and is a substitute for the use of Sulfuric and Nitric Acid in the real world production of Nitroglycerin (with the Tallow providing the Glycerin).

To neutralize an acid, you'd need a base. And there's only one item in the mod that is related to a strong base (Caustic Potash or Lye).
Gee willickers, Mr. Wizard! I am playing video games and learning science!
The spice must flow...

[03:28] <Detritus_> Weird, I'm still logged in her
darahalian

Post by darahalian »

Well, I had already figured it out, but really only by throwing a ton of stuff together in a cauldron... It's nice to know the reasoning behind the recipe!
FlowerChild wrote:Remain ever vigilant against the groth menace my friends. Early detection is crucial in avoiding a full-blown groth epidemic.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

darahalian wrote:Well, I had already figured it out, but really only by throwing a ton of stuff together in a cauldron... It's nice to know the reasoning behind the recipe!
Yeah, I'm a bit disappointed that was the methodology most people seemed to resort to.

This was kind of a test for a big set of features that I have planned that involves a lot of figuring things out on the part of the player. I may have to change my planned approach somewhat :)
redrew89

Post by redrew89 »

FlowerChild wrote:Version 3.52 of Better Than Wolves is ready for download!

[snip]

-Changed the Mill Stone Gui to display its contents horizontally instead of vertically. The vertical display was due to an old feature idea that got scrapped long ago, with the horizontal making far more sense for the way it operates.

[snip]

Enjoy! :)
To those who use Vattic's Faithful 32x32 textures, I took the liberty of tweaking the millstone GUI for this change.
Spoiler
Show
Looks like a great update, otherwise! :) Looking forward to seeing what else you have up your sleeve.

EDIT: Ah, screw it, here are the updated items, too. I keep neglecting to realize that FC generally uses existing MC assets with his own tweaks, so this was a simple matter of copying the clay ball and brick items from Faithful 32's items.png, and messing with the hue, saturation and brightness sliders until it looks good. I'm not too happy with that sludge, but I feel it will do for now.
Spoiler
Show
Last edited by redrew89 on Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FlowerChild wrote:Happiness is a warm and moist tentacle.
FlowerChild wrote:I just want to be loved.
Havok wrote: I'm so fucking psyched I could punch a kitten into the troposphere
Kain Magin

Post by Kain Magin »

FlowerChild wrote:
darahalian wrote:Well, I had already figured it out, but really only by throwing a ton of stuff together in a cauldron... It's nice to know the reasoning behind the recipe!
Yeah, I'm a bit disappointed that was the methodology most people seemed to resort to.

This was kind of a test for a big set of features that I have planned that involves a lot of figuring things out on the part of the player. I may have to change my planned approach somewhat :)

keep it like it is. Its all like Notch's Secret Friday updates ^^. Hell, I'd almost suggest you to just say "added new stuff, go find it" if it wasn't for the fact that no one would ever find it knowing how your mind works... or better said, lack of knowing ^^.
FlowerChild wrote:"Fuck me".
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Kain Magin wrote:keep it like it is. Its all like Notch's Secret Friday updates ^^. Hell, I'd almost suggest you to just say "added new stuff, go find it" if it wasn't for the fact that no one would ever find it knowing how your mind works... or better said, lack of knowing ^^.
The big problem is that people tend to resort straight to using TMI or even deobfuscating the code to figure things out instead of doing it the in-game way. They tend to then spoil it for the rest of the community through "cheating".

For the features I'm planning, I suspect I'll look into how the Aether disabled certain items in TMI (I'd only do that temporarily mind you until the stuff is well known), but there's not much I can do about deobfuscating. I will likely institute a "talk about it = ban" policy when the features in question are first released.
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

FlowerChild wrote:

Please don't :) I had fun tryin' to figure this one out, and was really glad when I did !
I usually avoid reading the release topic untill I figured out the recipes for the new stuff (or when I give up searching ^^) just because I don't want to be spoiled.
And if you keep using more science and chemistry, I'm in my element, that's gonna be awesome :)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Battosay wrote: Please don't :) I had fun tryin' to figure this one out, and was really glad when I did !
I usually avoid reading the release topic untill I figured out the recipes for the new stuff (or when I give up searching ^^) just because I don't want to be spoiled.
And if you keep using more science and chemistry, I'm in my element, that's gonna be awesome :)
Did you figure it out on your own then man? I was hopeful that you might actually be the first given your knowledge of chemistry.

If even you had to resort to brute-force dumping of random stuff into the Cauldron to finally get it though, I think I need to tone down the difficulty of the puzzles I have planned ;)
Gargantuan_Penguin

Post by Gargantuan_Penguin »

I really enjoyed this puzzle. I must admit i used all of your hints before I got it, but it was enjoyable nonetheless.
And HOW!