New Release! (BTW V3.52)

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
johnt

Re: New Release! (BTW V3.52)

Post by johnt »

You can always make it harder to spoil by randomizing part of the solution based on the seed, but that would depend heavily on what kind of puzzle it is. You could also make part of it depend on rare loot drops, to delay people putting the pieces together.

I think depending on 'out of game' knowledge (like the real life recipe for TNT) is just going to lead people to google (and then immediately to spoilers).
TheAnarchitect

Post by TheAnarchitect »

I'm not sold on making new features mysterious.

This is the age of the internet. Just as many eyes make all bugs shallow, the number of people working on figuring it out, sharing information, and using widely varied skillsets to solve the issue means that you probably can't keep a secret longer than a few days. And I think you can't really decide HOW people are going to figure them out. Trying to logic it out is OK, but brute forcing it is borderline? A great deal of real world scientific advancement is pretty much brute force trying everything and seeing what happens. You don't want people poking in the code to figure it out, but it's available and it works. There are too many easier ways to solve the mystery than your preferred method, and nothing beyond disapproval and banning to prevent it. I don't think you should waste your time trying to enforce how people solve the problems you present them. It won't be fun for you.

What you do control is what kind of problems you present your players. I think Figuring out recipes is not the right kind of problem to have the player solve. The community will solve that kind of problem, and then move on. The people who figure it out get good feelings and cred, and everyone else misses that experience. I think Nonstandard crafting and automation are the right kind of problem to hand your players. Soul Urn Automation may be a solved problem, but you still have to build one for yourself. Each player gets the visceral thrill of building a working machine, even if they are copying someone else's solution brick for brick. Building it like that requires understanding it. (For the same reason, I HATE the idea of sharing buildcraft blueprints. I don't want a builder bot to replicate someone else's design for me, because I'd lose the feeling of accomplishment. If BTB exists and is widely used for more than a few months, there will simply be a library of nearly-optimal solutions to automation, and newbs will simply brute-force their way to a builder-bot and then have it build everything without having every thought the processes through.)

I think another way of saying this is that I believe the main question about any new BTW feature should not be "how do I get this", but "what can I do now that I have it." Because the first question has a definitive answer that will be figured out very shortly, while the second question is ultimately one each player answers for themselves.

In conclusion: I'm concerned that presenting the sort of mystery you are describing isn't going to play out the way you want it to, and that might lessen your own enjoyment in making and presenting it.
The infinitely extendable Pottery system
Real Life is an Anarchy Server.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

TheAnarchitect wrote: What you do control is what kind of problems you present your players. I think Figuring out recipes is not the right kind of problem to have the player solve.
For fuck sake man. I just said on the last page that at no point have I said this is about recipes.

Again...you guys don't know what any of this is about or what it concerns. Arguing in the dark about that given that is annoying at best.
Ribky

Post by Ribky »

I can't wait to see what this big surprise is and try to figure it out for myself. I missed out on the mystery of this one, because I was out of town, and then I hit the forums before playing :( Next time I'll cut myself off with the OP and the changelog and do it myself. I still hold a grudge from many years ago against the prick who (Don't read if you haven't seen the Sixth Sense)
Spoiler
Show
blabbed that Bruce Willis was a ghost before I saw the movie.
Keep it mysterious FC, the mind games and random clues add a game outside of the game that I personally enjoy. It sucks when that little game gets shattered.
The spice must flow...

[03:28] <Detritus_> Weird, I'm still logged in her
TheAnarchitect

Post by TheAnarchitect »

I'm sorry FC, I started typing that before you posted that. I spent a good deal of time editing trying to make sure I wasn't being a dick or a troll, and got ninja'd in the process.
The infinitely extendable Pottery system
Real Life is an Anarchy Server.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

TheAnarchitect wrote:I'm sorry FC, I started typing that before you posted that. I spent a good deal of time editing trying to make sure I wasn't being a dick or a troll, and got ninja'd in the process.
Hehe...no problem man.

Please guys, just wait to see what this whole thing is about before critiquing it. I'm trying to organize something special for the community, and if it works out, great. If not, I'll move onto something else.

More info will be made known over the coming days.
Catox

Post by Catox »

Considering :
- my chemistry knowledge is very basic. While I know potash (or more exactly, "the stuff soap is made of") is basic, I have no idea what dynamite contains in reality.
- my google translation of the word "sludge" give me a synonym of "mud" that I would tend to simply associate with : water+earth. Your indication of Battosay's job possibly being helpful, I actually tried (since I understood he's in the medical researches field) to see if the brewing system could do something
- I'm not too fond of trying to put random stuff into random other stuff very long. For all I knew it could have involved pouring souls from a soulsanded hopper into a bloc of dirt surrounded by water, that wouldn't have surprised me much :p
- my personal relation with time is quite chaotic at the moment, which make me unable to use it efficiently in general...

so I ended up rather quickly checking the wiki to find out (quite surprised I must say) the answer was there, and that I would have had as much luck to find it in game as to finish Zelda in one life on a first try.

Well, that's my personal experience with it. I'd say I prefer 'puzzles' with mechanisms I can grasp.

That being said, your 'teaser' about future puzzle makes me think of when you added blood wood. I didn't have time (and probably spirit) to explore it, but I enjoyed reading people struggling with it to find out how it worked and what was it's purpose.
So I think there's really no problem with the way you design those puzzles. Simply, people like myself won't enjoy their discovery as much as players than as spectators.
Whatever way you do it then, I look forward to see what it is.
EdzyWhat

Post by EdzyWhat »

Awesome update. I had fun working through the mystery while I was procrastinating finishing a paper. I ended up doing terrible on both the mystery and the paper, but hey, fun was had. Thanks!
I had an image here once. Then I took an arrow... somewhere...
ialdbaoloth

Post by ialdbaoloth »

FlowerChild wrote: -Added the ability to use the Lens as a light-level detector when used in combination with a Detector Block. Just point a Lens directly at a Detector Block (in a neighboring block), and off you go!
Nice! As soon as I find more Lapis, I'm wiring my hemp farms so the light blocks only come on at night.

The sludge is promising. I hope there will be more fun with nether chemistry when 1.2 raises the block limit.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

ialdbaoloth wrote:I hope there will be more fun with nether chemistry when 1.2 raises the block limit.
Unfortunately, it doesn't.
ialdbaoloth

Post by ialdbaoloth »

FlowerChild wrote:Unfortunately, it doesn't.
I thought the new map format added room for thousands more block IDs.
I hope there are not more 256s to shake out of the code. It would be sad
if your second Eureka has to wait for two minecraft versions from now.

I hope you don't terribly mind me being excited about what you might do in the future.
There are several nice things in this update, but the only other one that
intrigued me as much was the light sensor, and that's more the sort of
thing to tinker with than hope about.

Nether sludge just seems so portentous (ominous?). I'm excited to
see what will happen when there are the blocks for Steve's interest
in infernal chemistry to have effects on the world. Better (nether)
living through chemistry, or horror movie horrors? Now I wonder if
the mythical nether transport fluid might resemble The Blob.
FlowerChild wrote: -Added sheep running away when the player attempts to apply Dung to them. They don't like that.
This is actually kind of handy for herding sheep.
SgtChuckle

Post by SgtChuckle »

Lemme guess, Nether-Sludge is made from Concrete and... something. When I get off work I'll test it out with Concentrated Hellfire, Hellfire Dust, Soul Dust, Ground Netherrack etc.
EDIT: Aww, I went on the wiki and the recipe was there. Too bad this wasn't the Nether fluid, just a way to get Nether Bricks without going to a fortress.
Poppycocks wrote:Suggesting to hack the logo on all sides is akin to suggesting someone to take a crap out of a window if he doesn't like his toilet seat.
Ferrus.Manus

Post by Ferrus.Manus »

ialdbaoloth wrote:
FlowerChild wrote:Unfortunately, it doesn't.
I thought the new map format added room for thousands more block IDs. I hope there are not more 256s to shake out of the code. It would be sad if your second Eureka has to wait for two minecraft versions from now.
While the possibility was added the problem is that currently all IDs higher than 256 are occupied by items.
ialdbaoloth wrote:
FlowerChild wrote: -Added sheep running away when the player attempts to apply Dung to them. They don't like that.
This is actually kind of handy for herding sheep.
Wheat and shit - the new carrot and stick.
SgtChuckle

Post by SgtChuckle »

Ferrus.Manus wrote:Wheat and shit - the new carrot and stick.
Oh god, this. XD
Poppycocks wrote:Suggesting to hack the logo on all sides is akin to suggesting someone to take a crap out of a window if he doesn't like his toilet seat.
EvilSheeper

Post by EvilSheeper »

Yay! New release!
Thanks for putting in the hemp texture suggestion, largely appreciated.
FlowerChild wrote:Let's not get into instructions on explosive manufacture guys. I've got enough problems without attracting the attention of law enforcement :)
DreamsofFury

Post by DreamsofFury »

I should install this update.....but I have little use for it at this point as I spend no more time in the nether than is needed to fill my inventory with netherack and leave to stick them in my grinders.

Quick question, am I able to overwrite or do I start from scratch?
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Unless mentioned, you'll always be able to overwrite previous installs of BTW with new ones.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
Husbag3

Post by Husbag3 »

I was under the impression that small updates that only do a few bug fixes or tweaks could be over-written but anything more needed fresh installs.
If the minecraft world is infinite, why does the sun still rotate around it?
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Husbag3 wrote:I was under the impression that small updates that only do a few bug fixes or tweaks could be over-written but anything more needed fresh installs.
Nope, you'll only need a fresh install if:
- One of the dependants requires it
- Minecraft itself updates
- A class that previously needed modding no longer requires it

and it'll always be mentioned alongside the changlelog if it's needed.

Worth mentioning is that this is a small update.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
DreamsofFury

Post by DreamsofFury »

Thanks bunches, gonna make a topic and then get right on that.
Husbag3

Post by Husbag3 »

I stand corrected. I always to a fresh install anyway just to be sure.
Itamarcu

Post by Itamarcu »

Ferrus.Manus wrote: Wheat and shit - the new carrot and stick.
Who's gonna sig this first?

EDIT:
Spoiler
Show
Poppycocks. Who else?
Last edited by Itamarcu on Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You know what you should read? Worm. Here you go: https://parahumans.wordpress.com/catego ... tion/1-01/
Poppycocks

Post by Poppycocks »

itamarcu wrote:
Ferrus.Manus wrote: Wheat and shit - the new carrot and stick.
Who's gonna sig this first?
I don't know!
Husbag3

Post by Husbag3 »

Somebody say something stupid or funny so that I can get a new signature! ;)
DreamsofFury

Post by DreamsofFury »

Husbag3 wrote:Somebody say something stupid or funny so that I can get a new signature! ;)
.gge eht ro nekcihc eht.....tsrif emac tahw ekil llaw eht ffo dna modnar yletelpmoc gnihtemos etouq tsuj dluoc uoy rO

Suitable?