1.2 feature discussion

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
FlowerChild
Site Admin

1.2 feature discussion

Post by FlowerChild »

1.2 seems a big enough update to create this thread to post people's discoveries.

I decided to create a test-world to check out the new stuff, and just noticed upon entering a villager's blacksmith, there was a chest in the back containing two pieces of iron armor, an iron sword, and a gold bar. Pretty powerful way to start off a game, and I haven't seen this addition mentioned anywhere.
kregoth

Re: 1.2 feature discussion

Post by kregoth »

This video is a great summary it was retweeted by jeb :)

FlowerChild wrote:My theory is that stupidity acts like an infectious organism on the net. Unless it's regularly pruned from your "garden", it will inevitably overwhelm it and kill off everything else.
Ribky

Post by Ribky »

Yeah, those blacksmith's chests can be pretty ridiculous, there is the chance of diamonds/obsidian/etc turning up in there too; and as far as I have seen, it's seed dependent, not random. I still haven't decided if I like it or not.

EDIT: And kregoth, that video was friggin' sweet.
Last edited by Ribky on Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The spice must flow...

[03:28] <Detritus_> Weird, I'm still logged in her
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Ribky wrote:Yeah, those blacksmith's chests can be pretty ridiculous, there is the chance of diamonds/obsidian/etc turning up in there too; and as far as I have seen, it's seed dependent, not random. I still haven't decided if I like it or not.
Well, it basically can bypass the entire vanilla "tech-tree" (what little of it there is) when you start a world, so I can't say I like it.
TheAnarchitect

Post by TheAnarchitect »

I like the idea behind it, though. Perhaps if it was dependent on distance from starting location? As in villages near your start would have only "surface" gear like leather armor and stone tools, while a villages 15 maps away has a higher chance of iron, and if you walk for dozen hours in a direction you'll start to find the deep stuff like obsidian and diamond. That'd be a nice way to incentivize surface exploration.
The infinitely extendable Pottery system
Real Life is an Anarchy Server.
Ribky

Post by Ribky »

I like being able to rob villagers, I do not like skipping to the end of the tech tree with a lucky seed. I'm okay with the chests, just wish they had a bit heavier a restriction of what was in them. Or maybe if they implemented a "further from spawn = better loot" (ninja'd) system for those blacksmith chests.

The iron golems pose a similar problem. Although I like the concept of automating iron production, the iron golem farms people are building look like they'll make it way too easy.
The spice must flow...

whitechaos35

Post by whitechaos35 »

The loot in blacksmith chests was there in previous releases. I'm not sure about 1.0, but 1.1 definitely had them.
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

FlowerChild wrote:
Ribky wrote:Yeah, those blacksmith's chests can be pretty ridiculous, there is the chance of diamonds/obsidian/etc turning up in there too; and as far as I have seen, it's seed dependent, not random. I still haven't decided if I like it or not.
Well, it basically can bypass the entire vanilla "tech-tree" (what little of it there is) when you start a world, so I can't say I like it.
I wonder if it would be possible to swap the things up near the top of the vanilla tech tree for pieces of tanned leather armor... Those blacksmiths tend to be a kinky lot.
Better is the enemy of Good
Ribky

Post by Ribky »

Well.. they gotta tan leather for their smithy aprons right? And their Friday-night-in-the-dungeon aprons too.
The spice must flow...

FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

After seeing these two items on the wiki:

- Redstone Lamps placed outside and turned on can cause performance drops, which are especially noticeable on lower-end computers.
- Breaking a lit Redstone Lamp will yield a lit Redstone Lamp block which does not stack with normal, unlit Redstone Lamps in the inventory. Placing the lit version away from a Redstone power source will instantly unlight it, allowing it to drop normally and be stacked with other unlit Redstone Lamps. This is likely due to it being two separate blocks, to be compared with Redstone Ore and glowing Redstone Ore.

just wanted to say:

<face palm>
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

FlowerChild wrote:<face palm>
So I guessing this is your favorite update ever, huh? ;)
deathzaplin

Post by deathzaplin »

both kinds of torches can now be placed on top of glass (not the sides and not on glow stone or leaves) as glass can not be powered by redstone this could create ways to compact redstone, i have shown some examples in the pic below

Spoiler
Show
Last edited by deathzaplin on Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kain Magin

Post by Kain Magin »

Ribky wrote:And their Friday-night-in-the-dungeon aprons too.
just lol. 1st thing that came to mind was
Spoiler
Show
from Hostel
FlowerChild wrote:"Fuck me".
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

walker_boh_65 wrote: So I guessing this is your favorite update ever, huh? ;)
Nah, there's some good stuff in there, I'm just REALLY surprised to see those kind of bugs come out of such a simple new block.

Like, I basically added the equivalent in a few hours about a year ago as the first thing I did in BTW, without knowing a thing about the MC code-base, and definitely didn't release with any problems like that.

As I've said before, self-testing is incredibly important for programmers, and I was just very surprised when I saw those two bugs as it basically indicates next to none was done on the redstone lamps.
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

Perhaps you gave them such a false sense of assurance. If it was so easy for you, it totally must not be hard for them. Which would really make them look like arrogant pricks.

They're probably more just overworked and underorganized.
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Odd bug I'm experiencing: It looks like the textures on a cow's head switches to some kind of blank white one when you attack them.

Strange.
FaceFoiled

Post by FaceFoiled »

Check the seed: -890896699 if you want to check out a cool Jungle Biome. You spawn right on the edge off one, which is on a mountain/hill at the sea, with shit. Look's pretty interesting. :)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

FaceFoiled wrote:Check the seed: -890896699 if you want to check out a cool Jungle Biome. You spawn right on the edge off one, which is on a mountain/hill at the sea, with shit. Look's pretty interesting. :)
I spawned very close to two jungle biomes without choosing a particular seed. I get the impression they're rather common.

Also just noticed something else: skeletons drop bows (even enchanted ones) rather frequently when killed. There goes another aspect of the "tech tree" :)
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

I found five very large jungles so far flying around but no ocelots at all.
Better is the enemy of Good
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

DaveYanakov wrote:I found five very large jungles so far flying around but no ocelots at all.
Strange. I must have seen at least a dozen in about ten minutes in a jungle biome. Must be similar to wolves in their distribution.
kregoth

Post by kregoth »

FlowerChild wrote:
FaceFoiled wrote:Check the seed: -890896699 if you want to check out a cool Jungle Biome. You spawn right on the edge off one, which is on a mountain/hill at the sea, with shit. Look's pretty interesting. :)
I spawned very close to two jungle biomes without choosing a particular seed. I get the impression they're rather common.

Also just noticed something else: skeletons drop bows (even enchanted ones) rather frequently when killed. There goes another aspect of the "tech tree" :)
I think a FlowerChild MC patch is fine with me if it helps balance the mod in the changes that break it :)
FlowerChild wrote:My theory is that stupidity acts like an infectious organism on the net. Unless it's regularly pruned from your "garden", it will inevitably overwhelm it and kill off everything else.
TheAnarchitect

Post by TheAnarchitect »

The Vines are a complete replacement for ladders. They grow everywhere. They can be farmed. They do everything ladders do an more. You can place them at the top of a shaft or cliff and wait for them to grow down. You can use them in combination with pistons to make ladders that withdraw behind you. You may still make ladders for aesthetic reasons, or because you haven't found 2 iron yet, but for most purposes you'll be using vines now.
The infinitely extendable Pottery system
Real Life is an Anarchy Server.
Urian

Post by Urian »

TheAnarchitect wrote:The Vines are a complete replacement for ladders. They grow everywhere. They can be farmed. They do everything ladders do an more. You can place them at the top of a shaft or cliff and wait for them to grow down. You can use them in combination with pistons to make ladders that withdraw behind you. You may still make ladders for aesthetic reasons, or because you haven't found 2 iron yet, but for most purposes you'll be using vines now.
Er, not me. I like the physical hit box of ladders for certain systems and ladders don't spread out and cover everything. :)
FlowerChild: Ice in deserts is a good idea
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

kregoth wrote: I think a FlowerChild MC patch is fine with me if it helps balance the mod in the changes that break it :)
Nah, that's not the kind of stuff I "fix". It's Mojang's tech-tree, and they're free to break it if they like.

I think it's a real shame though, as it's taking the focus of the game away from making stuff (which is one of the strength's of MC's design), and focuses it instead on finding stuff (which is what pretty much every RPG on the planet does).

Honestly, I question Notch's decision to turn the *design* of Minecraft over to Jeb. I don't think he's a designer.
FaceFoiled

Post by FaceFoiled »

Some listed bugs:

Bugs:
  • - Big trees are very rare in Forest, birches, pines in Taiga, swamp trees in Swamps, giant mushrooms in Mushroom Biomes
    * 99% of the big trees are replaced by small trees, so no big trees in biomes like Mountains that could generate rare big trees
    - Snow doesn't appear on maps
    - F3 takes more resources than before, making the game unplayable on old computers
    - The biome "FrozenRiver" and "DesertHills" does not have a space like other biomes (e.g. "Ice Mountains")
    - Mushrooms are generated on bedrock layer in The Nether
Also, the nether:
"However, in the Nether, layers 128 to 256 are only accessible in creative mode, due to the unchanged ceiling bedrock at layer 127"