The Learning Curve: Redstone, Logic, and Applications

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
morvelaira

Re: The Learning Curve: Redstone, Logic, and Applications

Post by morvelaira »

As someone with a heavy plate, I understand completely. Clean your plate, and come back when you may. My thoughts are with you.
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
darahalian

Post by darahalian »

I agree that having a basic knowledge of logic (especially digital logic) is possibly the most important thing to have when making any redstone device that's more complicated than a door switch. Knowing how to use the resources you are given in minecraft to turn this knowledge into actual results is a close second. If there are going to be classes, I think these concepts are what should be focused on.

emmasteadman wrote:Example I built a bridge using pullies....it works fine except if the button is active on one side of bridge (on) and i go to the other side....i can't switch it off and vice versa.
Not knowing how to fix that annoys me no end.
If you want to have switches on both sides of the bridge that will change the state of the bridge no matter what, all you need to do is to hook the two switches up to an XOR gate whose output goes to all the gearboxes or whatever that your current switch goes to.
FlowerChild wrote:Remain ever vigilant against the groth menace my friends. Early detection is crucial in avoiding a full-blown groth epidemic.
Ferrus.Manus

Post by Ferrus.Manus »

Buttons leading to T Flip-Flop works too. Especially since now you can build compact T Flip-Flops using turntable.
magikeh

Post by magikeh »

Ferrus.Manus wrote:Buttons leading to T Flip-Flop works too. Especially since now you can build compact T Flip-Flops using turntable.
WOAH WOAH WOAH!! can you post a few pics of this device??
Magical Shit
Show
Syruse|Work: i like magic shit
MagikEh: ...
MagikEh: >.>
MagikEh: <.<
»» MagikEh walks to the bathroom
Syruse|Work: hahaaaaaaaaa
Syruse|Work: wait
MagikEh: xD
Syruse|Work: fuck
Syruse|Work: NO
Syruse|Work: DONT
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

Go take a look at the BTW Community Castle map, I use them in the traps of my maze.
Just finish the maze, and you'll get acces to the wiring ;)
magikeh

Post by magikeh »

Battosay wrote:Go take a look at the BTW Community Castle map, I use them in the traps of my maze.
Sweet!! ^_^ ... but now i have to wait untill i get home... only 7 hours, 19 min and 42 seconds to go!!
Magical Shit
Show
FaceFoiled

Post by FaceFoiled »

jamestully22 wrote:
Battosay wrote:Go take a look at the BTW Community Castle map, I use them in the traps of my maze.
Sweet!! ^_^ ... but now i have to wait untill i get home... only 7 hours, 19 min and 42 seconds to go!!
You will beat me to it! :D I have 9 hours and 15 min to go!! Thankfully one of those hours is lunch so I get get my fix going and test stuff :P. Best thing about work, I have an hour to test stuff to work on when I get home :D.

On topic though:
I am personally very happy with these kind of threads and especially the instructional videos that are around to show how some things work and why. Regardless though, in my opion the "best" way to learn these things is to copy someone else's work, and see how it works step by step. That way you will understand how to make it, why it is made in a certain way, and how certain features of the circuitry work.

That does not mean I don't like to ask questions ^_^
magikeh

Post by magikeh »

FaceFoiled wrote:-SNIP-

On topic though:
I am personally very happy with these kind of threads and especially the instructional videos that are around to show how some things work and why. Regardless though, in my opion the "best" way to learn these things is to copy someone else's work, and see how it works step by step. That way you will understand how to make it, why it is made in a certain way, and how certain features of the circuitry work.

That does not mean I don't like to ask questions ^_^
yeah there is nothing better than getting someones map off the internet and going in and totally messing up all the wiring and devices, just to see how it works!!
Magical Shit
Show
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

A turntable with symmetric torches acts as a T flip flop, if you time the pulse right
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
magikeh

Post by magikeh »

Gilberreke wrote:A turntable with symmetric torches acts as a T flip flop, if you time the pulse right

ohhhh i see, you have the input on the gearbox and the output is the turntables torches!! WOW that is awesome!! makes a lotta sense... but i think the piston Flip Flop is still a lot more compact therefore more praticle!
Magical Shit
Show
FaceFoiled

Post by FaceFoiled »

Hmm, Piston flip flop? Sounds interesting! I shall google it! :D

So far ive been using a basic one of 4x4, 3 high (found schematic in a BTW video actually :P). Served me well so far, but a more compact one would be great :D

/edit

Quick videoi found regarding piston t-flip flops with the person explaining it all as well (which I love :P).
magikeh

Post by magikeh »

pretty sneeky eh? i never even thought of using a piston to make a flip flop (or any other type of redstone application as a matter of fact!) but now there is a piston in each gate that you can think of!! ^_^/
Magical Shit
Show
BigShinyToys

Post by BigShinyToys »

Spoiler
Show
http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/222 ... -redstone/
I think i have found a map that might be of help to someone that wants to use redstone . this has examples of lots of redstone circuits. maby Someone could add Better than wolves specific Stuff to what is already there that would make it Very useful. i don't know if it has the latest piston Based logic gates yet ?? Any way Hope this helps.
magikeh

Post by magikeh »

WAOW a whole wiki devoted to redstone stufff, check it out!
Magical Shit
Show
Rasuth

Post by Rasuth »

HavokSCOUT and I discussed the use of BDs in the basic Redstone logic gates over here. There are also some explanations what these gates do and/or how they work.
TaterBoy wrote:Well, now I know. And as GI-Joe says, knowing is half the battle. :)
The other half is violence.
Unless you're GI Socrates. Then the other half is "You don't know anything
- TheAnarchitect
finite8

Post by finite8 »

If you want to be able to truly master Redstone Circuits, you must first understand the basics of what is behind it.

I suggest you read through and fully understand this:

http://www.learn-c.com/boolean.htm

If you can answer the following correctly, you are on the right track:

1 AND 0 =
Spoiler
Show
1 AND 1 =
Spoiler
Show
0 AND 0 =
Spoiler
Show
1 OR 0 =
Spoiler
Show
1 XOR 1 =
Spoiler
Show
If you can understand the above, you can master Redstone Logic as it follows the same rules. 1 = Redstone powered, 0 = Redstone unpowered. By mastering the Boolean Logic, you can represent almost any sequence of events and inputs that you want.

The main messy stuff is learning the rules of what results in particular blocks being powered, and what doesn't. Also, you need to be aware of "block updates". A block being update will recompute its state (such as if a door should be open or not, or a piston being extended). A block changing states between powered and unpowered will update itself, but not always blocks surrounding it. You can often encounter problems where a piston will extend when a block diagonal to it gets powered, but won't retract when unpowered, or worse is that a block gets powered when you didn't expect it.
Flowerchild (IRC) wrote:I'm not trying to stop you BTW ..., I'm saying that I think you're a piece of shit...not the same thing