The Digital Clock Ver 6 FINAL

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
BigShinyToys

The Digital Clock Ver 6 FINAL

Post by BigShinyToys »

I Started out with this picture and Then wondered if it was possible to do this in minecraft.
At the same time Flower child Updated his mod to include a device called a Turntable . this was exactly what i was looking for and i immediately downloaded the latest ver I think It was 2.7 BTW. I stated on this clock making the counters and Data to seg converter ( display matrix ) and Final after I forget how long i have Done it . I have created a Fully Working Clock in minecraft ( yes i used mods only for the display and the Counters / timer ) But the rest is pure redstone . i used Inventory editor lol editor As i didn't know about signal player commands at the time.

NOTE : to use this file you must have installed Better Than Wolves mod ver 2.81 or higher. ( this mod requires modloader 1.7.3 ) File here http://www.filefactory.com/file/cc8e681 ... FINAL_.zip

Any feed back would be great and if someone out there could make a video of this i would be eternal grateful as my computer has no graphics card and runs slow at the best of times. thank you for reading and downloading my Digital Clock.
Last edited by BigShinyToys on Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:48 am, edited 13 times in total.
magikeh

Re: The Digital Clock [WIP]

Post by magikeh »

WOW, good luck man i hope to see more of this project in the future!!
Magical Shit
Show
Syruse|Work: i like magic shit
MagikEh: ...
MagikEh: >.>
MagikEh: <.<
»» MagikEh walks to the bathroom
Syruse|Work: hahaaaaaaaaa
Syruse|Work: wait
MagikEh: xD
Syruse|Work: fuck
Syruse|Work: NO
Syruse|Work: DONT
BigShinyToys

Post by BigShinyToys »

So i just uploaded a new World file I'm still having trouble a making the thing rest after 10 cycles but in shore i can crack it . ( TOMORROW ) I'm tired it is 8:00 Pm ( more like 6:00 Pm I get up Insanly eraly ) and i need Some sleep . i will work on this more after work tomorrow ( that is if the Mod hasn't been updated and the turntable are not doing what i want them to.
Last edited by BigShinyToys on Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
BigShinyToys

Post by BigShinyToys »

Clock is fine ( MY BAD )
BigShinyToys

Re: The Digital Clock [WIP] VER 3.2 Now counts to ten

Post by BigShinyToys »

I have add a new file With more Function than the other one .
mr.creeper

Post by mr.creeper »

good luck trying to make this. Can't wait to see the end result.
BigShinyToys

Post by BigShinyToys »

i have figed out how to link my adders in two / three days i will have most of it compleat. i still need to make it so you can "set it" but it is looking good. srry no new file today . i will'post tomorro
BigShinyToys

Re: The Digital Clock [WIP] VER 4.6 Now counts to 60

Post by BigShinyToys »

New pic new file and now works better than ever.
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

Looking good man :)
Kwilt

Post by Kwilt »

That's pretty sweet. If only we could condense it, now...

Image (<--------------- Click me to watch live!)
BigShinyToys

Post by BigShinyToys »

KWilt wrote:That's pretty sweet. If only we could condense it, now...
i have been aming for function over size. but as it is i could make it so half or more was underground. but this is more proof of concept at this stage. tomoro i will modify the thrid counter and display segments. (think i migh need a train to get around the map .)
Kwilt

Post by Kwilt »

BigShinyToys wrote:
i have been aming for function over size. but as it is i could make it so half or more was underground. but this is more proof of concept at this stage. tomoro i will modify the thrid counter and display segments. (think i migh need a train to get around the map .)
I understand that, but I would love to have one of these. Just wouldn't want to build a separate building just for a clock, though. >_>

Image (<--------------- Click me to watch live!)
BigShinyToys

Post by BigShinyToys »

KWilt wrote:
BigShinyToys wrote:
I understand that, but I would love to have one of these. Just wouldn't want to build a separate building just for a clock, though. >_>
you could remove the display matrix and out put buffer. but then you would have to read the time in binary. lol
BigShinyToys

Post by BigShinyToys »

So i have Completed modifications to the 3rd counter . it now counts form 1 to 12 then resets to 1 ect... This is working well with the modification of the display matrix. but now i have hit a wall. I need a counter or something that counts to 60 seconds or One minuet . And my problem was Not a probable before the update. Now it is hell. i will explain. The old turntable had a 15 sec option this made it simple . cos 4 rotation at 15 seconds a rotation makes 60 seconds. Simple . But the flower changed it to multiples 0.5 to 1 to 2 to 4 .This makes it harder. cos all the multiples of 60 require 10 or 5 second increments. The current delay i use is 16 seconds But this makes the clock fast one second.

What i need is a design that uses the current parts to make a 60 second Pulce.
or for flower to change the last one o 5 seconds. cos 5 seconds X 4 rotations = 20 But i can make it skip one rotation Making it 15 seconds X 4 = 60

I only say the last setting should be changed because i know that you can make all the 0.5 to 4 second gaps form two turntables . And will gladly demonstrate ( if requested ) so to change to 5 secs would not Make them more overpowered ( my opinion ) but would make them more usefull for counting reel time.
BigShinyToys

Post by BigShinyToys »

here it is . Works well I haven't tryed it over 12 hours but i will do that soon Tonight
magikeh

Post by magikeh »

BigShinyToys wrote:here it is . Works well I haven't tryed it over 12 hours but i will do that soon Tonight
HOLY WOW
This is sweet man!! glad to see that you could do something this huge and awesome!!
Magical Shit
Show
Syruse|Work: i like magic shit
MagikEh: ...
MagikEh: >.>
MagikEh: <.<
»» MagikEh walks to the bathroom
Syruse|Work: hahaaaaaaaaa
Syruse|Work: wait
MagikEh: xD
Syruse|Work: fuck
Syruse|Work: NO
Syruse|Work: DONT
BigShinyToys

Post by BigShinyToys »

Battosay wrote:Looking good man :)
wow to get a comment like that form you is a big thing thank you.

On another matter.
I have now Completed the clock see for you're self new file on OP.
Thank you for you're time.

P.S if someone could make a VID you can credit you're self with helping build it .
BigShinyToys

Re: The Digital Clock Ver 6 FINAL

Post by BigShinyToys »

This is the overview of what the clock douse.

This is the display decoder. it takes a 4 bit binary input and outputs to 7 lines eatch representing one part of the screen . this is achieved with the use of programmable AND gates 10 per segment on the screes . one for each of the following 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 .

this is the back of one Number display you can see the 7 lines connected to the seven parts of the screen.

This is the back of the Programmable AND gate . you can see some of the inputs are inverted and others are not . this is how it is programed . set it so it only responds to one Binary sequence. And you can see the 4 data lines that run under the Display Decoder .

This is the front of the four input AND gate the torch being active means this is the current one that is being displayed. it then connects to the segments i want on via repeaters to stop data flowing back the wrong way.

These are counters The closest one counts seconds and the others in the back ground count minutes / hours / Am & Pm

This is the heart of the counter the four turntables . these act as the counter and output in 4 bit binary ( this then goes to the Decoder ). e.g pulse one turned the first TT ( turntable ) 90 degrees and that makes it output a signal that goes to the next TT turning it and the nest and the next . the NEXT pulse turned only the first TT pulse three then turned the first TT that turns the second TT . ( you are best to stand at the Counter looking at them when it is running to best understand how it works. ) These outputs are then Checked by a another programmable AND gate . this gate is set to the number before the Number you want to reset the counter (e.g. on the ten counter is is set to 9 ) this is because there is a buffer for the output ( buffer is needed because the screen douse some strange stuff before the bits have solidified ) and the buffer is always one behind the real value held in the TT's so after 9 is reached ( the AND gate is putting out a signal upon the Counter receiving another signal it will display then Zero out . making it display 0 and be ready for one. At the same time the AND gate sends a signal to the next counter to add one . that is how i can make it count to any number.

This is one counter unit .
Harcion

Post by Harcion »

Thanks for the in-depth explanation, I think I get it now. Although I have to check up on these programmable AND gates that I never saw before.

I made a BD-version of your counter unit that can count to 6, 10 and 12 and outputs in 4-bit binary. It is not quite as versatile as yours, but it's smaller and perhaps easier to remember how it works. Picture (with explanation below):
Spoiler
Show
The input is at the bottom of the picture. The pulses go to a BD n-counter which outputs a pulse after n pulses (to the next counter unit for hours, etc.). They also go through a BD 2-counter and directly to the first BD switcher. Thus the first switcher will switch every pulse and the other switchers every 2nd pulse.

EDIT: There's an error in the picture - there should not be redstone from the 2-counter to the n-counter. The n-counter should get its input from the first input. I modified the circuit and messed that up, sorry. Though when counting to even numbers you could wire it up like that and just count to n/2.

What the switcher BDs contain depend on which number the unit counts to, but are combinations of conductive blocks and non-conductive things, in this case minecarts. Let a conductive block be represented by 1 and a non-conductive by 0. Then, for a 12-counter, the switchers contain the following sequences from bottom to top:
1, 0
0, 1, 0, 1, 0, 1
0, 0, 1, 1, 0, 0
0, 0, 0, 0, 1, 1

For the 10- and 6-counters you just remove 1 or 3 blocks from the three last sequences. Note that the 1's have to be different kinds of conductive blocks, or they get stacked together and everything breaks down.

What happens is that when a BD-switcher switches to a conductive block (1) the BD above the relevant output bit gets power and places a conductive block which lets a current pass through. When the switcher goes to 0, the block is retracted and the output shuts off. You could also use sticky pistons with a conductive block for this.

The output at the 5th iteration looks like this:
Spoiler
Show
You have to modify the setup to count to odd numbers, and I think you probably cannot count to some of those at all. But since you only need the 6, 10 and 12 anyway it works fine.

I think that using a combination of turntables and BD's it could be made even smaller.

Also note: I think your setup is really smart, I just wanted to show an alternative now that we figured out some new BD techniques. :)
BigShinyToys

Post by BigShinyToys »

I see that is relay compact. ( I have a different system for the Clock I'm making now but if i was still using decoders i would use this and save me a huge amount of time ) thanks for coming up with it .

As for the programmable AND gates That is a term i use i Don't know if it is used by others . but basically you invert some of the inputs and leave some others Directly connected . That is why in the picture some of the blocks have a torch on the side but others have wire . the torch acts as an inverter. if you would like i can make a demonstration .
Harcion

Post by Harcion »

Ah, ok, I thought there was something more to it. No need for a demonstration, I understand now.

I'm now eagerly awaiting the no-counter-clock. :)