Castle Story looks like it has a lot of potential

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
Shengji

Castle Story looks like it has a lot of potential

Post by Shengji »

http://www.sauropodstudio.com/

Fingers crossed for a Dwarf Fortress-a-like

7 months, 37 different border checks and counting.
thekyz

Re: Castle Story looks like it has a lot of potential

Post by thekyz »

I really enjoyed the presentation video, this could be a really great game!
Tsugumi Henduluin

Post by Tsugumi Henduluin »

Yup, saw this when notch tweeted about it, and immediately added their site and twitter to my favorites. This looks like it might actually turn out to be an accessible, or at least less soul-torturing, version of Dwarf Fortress. Something which I've been hoping for for years now.

Of course, it'll all depend on how things will develop from here on out. The basics are fantastic (the physics engine blew my mind... the possibilities that offers are immense), but only time will tell where they intend to go with the game. Will it be more of a sandbox game like MC, or will they head for something more goal-based? I'm personally hoping for the latter.

Whatever the case, though: I'll be keeping a close on eye on this.
Mr_Hosed

Post by Mr_Hosed »

Damn! I'm glad I didn't get started on my own version of this using Unity3D. Decided to make a web based RTS instead first (It's an untapped genre for casual web games). Very cool what they've done. I figured Unity could do it, and now I know it can :)

Also, for any commentators out there, NEVER SMACK DURING YOU COMMENTARY! I almost turned this off it annoyed me so much... then again, my old man threw full cans of beer at me when I smacked so I may just be a bit oversensitive to that particular sound.
Larmantine

Post by Larmantine »

*Jaw hits the floor*
weldaSB wrote:Edit: grammer
Gormador

Post by Gormador »

I'm looking forward to see where the two devs will lead their creation.
I think it might have a big potential for multiplayer. You start on as many flying island as there are player, one per player, and it's free for all ! Maybe with some alliance possibilities, during the game. That would be cool.

Edit : Post count : 69. If I don't post ever again, you know why.
FlowerChild wrote:If you have a suggestion, I recommend that it have pure manna from heaven flowing forth from its vagina to warrant posting it at this point in time.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

It's like minecraft had babies with black & white.

Seems interesting. Looks amazing.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
Katalliaan

Post by Katalliaan »

Stormweaver wrote:It's like minecraft had babies with black & white.
That was my first thought.

I'd love to see where they go with this - I wouldn't be surprised to see them add useful things (like ores) that only appear on certain islands. That'd mean that in multiplayer games, you'd see people either fighting over those islands, or trading for the resources that they don't have.
Open in case of fire
Spoiler
Show
Not now stupid - in case of fire
bazilshep

Post by bazilshep »

I seem to recall something about notch originally imagining minecraft as a rts game, It would seem this is what it could have looked like. This looks like an interesting cross between rts and minecraft. I think I will be watching this game's dev closely... I would really love to see custom construct-able siege engines in this and a mechanical power system reminiscent of BTW. The possibilities with the physics engine are endless.
I can almost imagine starting out in a minecraft-esque fps game then abstracting into this rts style. Kind of like how spore did it's gameplay progression, but implemented better.
Itamarcu

Post by Itamarcu »

That looks......awesome.
Awesome.

I would gladly pay over 100 dollars for this, if the developers would use its full potential.
You know what you should read? Worm. Here you go: https://parahumans.wordpress.com/catego ... tion/1-01/
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

This looks pretty sweet. Definitely buying it when it comes out.
kregoth

Post by kregoth »

Wow thanks for showing me this Shengji I am definitely keeping my eye on this. It looks like it has a lot of inspiration from DF :)
FlowerChild wrote:My theory is that stupidity acts like an infectious organism on the net. Unless it's regularly pruned from your "garden", it will inevitably overwhelm it and kill off everything else.
lostone1993

Post by lostone1993 »

that looks great will have to keep an eye on this, I like DF but the graphics make it difficult
Under many names
lost-one
Spoiler
Show
My Youtube
My WIP Fan Mission for SS2(youtube)
Katalliaan

Post by Katalliaan »

lostone1993 wrote:that looks great will have to keep an eye on this, I like DF but the graphics make it difficult
There are texture packs out there that give it graphics other than ASCII representations, you know. Besides, a game like DF wouldn't work too well with a 3D view, since the majority of your base will be underground, and hidden from the surface.
Open in case of fire
Spoiler
Show
Not now stupid - in case of fire
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

Katalliaan wrote: There are texture packs out there that give it graphics other than ASCII representations, you know. Besides, a game like DF wouldn't work too well with a 3D view, since the majority of your base will be underground, and hidden from the surface.
I've tried the texture packs, they really don't help. It's mainly viewing it all slice by slice that throws me off. The game's learning curve is pretty steep, that's why I never got too into it
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

Looks really interesting, I'll be sure to keep a close eye on it.
Horizon

Post by Horizon »

Too steep of a learning curve? I picked it up in a weekend, and am competent with it.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
Tsugumi Henduluin

Post by Tsugumi Henduluin »

DF's problem isn't its learning curve or its graphics... it's the retarded clunky controls/interface. Going for nostalgia is one thing, but not using the mouse in any way whatsoever? That's just really, really bad decision making right there. Not to mention there's almost no logic to how the menu's work either, at least none that I can pick up on.
Shengji

Post by Shengji »

Tsugumi Henduluin wrote:DF's problem isn't its learning curve or its graphics... it's the retarded clunky controls/interface. Going for nostalgia is one thing, but not using the mouse in any way whatsoever? That's just really, really bad decision making right there. Not to mention there's almost no logic to how the menu's work either, at least none that I can pick up on.
I couldn't agree more! I'd go so far as to say the UI is the factor that excludes most from the game, not the complexity
7 months, 37 different border checks and counting.
AmishGoat

Post by AmishGoat »

Wow. This game looks amazing! Definitely watching it now, thanks for sharing Shengji.
Katalliaan wrote:I'd love to see where they go with this - I wouldn't be surprised to see them add useful things (like ores) that only appear on certain islands. That'd mean that in multiplayer games, you'd see people either fighting over those islands, or trading for the resources that they don't have.
If it goes this route, I'm probably permanently abandoning Minecraft, Skyrim, AOE, and probably every other game I have. Though honestly I don't know how multiplayer would work, doesn't seem fast enough to work well (what with the build time, it wasn't terrible slow, but it wasn't exactly fast either).
Trying to destroy the you with a you is futile.