Mob/Item separator

If you want to get banned, this is the place to post.
weylin

Mob/Item separator

Post by weylin »

Flooring that is solid to players and mobs, but allows all sorts of items to slip through.

This wouldn't be replacement for hoppers; It can't filter, it can't store items, it can't put items into a chest, and it doesn't generate a redstone signal.

At the moment, you can just use a row powered hoppers (alternating, powered from both sides), but you'll need to confine 10 thousand animals into a 1xsomething enclosure.

You guys may be able to think of other uses such an item could have

This is more of an aesthetic, so you can have all the technical stuff below a holding pin, not flood your animals with water.
Last edited by weylin on Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
Stormweaver

Re: Item filter flooring

Post by Stormweaver »

For now you can make a floor out of siding placed vertically, and flush the room with water.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
elipod

Post by elipod »

Where it supposed to be used, and why traditional materials are no go?
All my animal farms do well with water flows and hoppers, even chickens.
Stormweaver wrote:For now you can make a floor out of siding placed vertically, and flush the room with water.
Chickens will fall trough, i guess, they did fall trough glass panes and fences.
/Edit Yup, they do fall between sidings, whenever you stop the water flow.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

elipod wrote:Where it supposed to be used, and why traditional materials are no go?
All my animal farms do well with water flows and hoppers, even chickens.
Stormweaver wrote:For now you can make a floor out of siding placed vertically, and flush the room with water.
Chickens will fall trough, i guess, they did fall trough glass panes and fences.
/Edit Yup, they do fall between sidings, whenever you stop the water flow.
Then you just leave the water in place. Solved.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
elipod

Post by elipod »

Stormweaver wrote:
elipod wrote: Then you just leave the water in place. Solved.
'
I'd like to go down there for xp farming, so the usual setup is 9x9 square with water flows from the 4 corners to the middle, where the hopper is placed.
weylin

Post by weylin »

It doesn't seem very good for immersion to have a bunch of animals hopping around in water :P
With this idea, you could hide the water system under the floor so that it's out of sight, all you'll see is the fence and flooring, the item consolidation, sorting, and processing would go on down below.

You could put this kind of flooring under sawmills and grinding stones. You'll be able to walk around the devices freely, but the items fall through down into the collection bin below.

Just to clarify, this is mostly for aesthetics, but serves the purpose of separating items from mobs without a flooded mess
Iakovosian

Re: Mob/Item separator

Post by Iakovosian »

Use saws sideways on, in place of sidings. Items will still fall through (or should do, at least) but I don't think chickens will.
"It's like using a tree to stop your car. It works, but there may be consequences."
weylin

Post by weylin »

Iakovosian wrote:Use saws sideways on, in place of sidings. Items will still fall through (or should do, at least) but I don't think chickens will.
I'm not sure I get what you're saying, wont the items just get hung up on the side of them with little chance of falling through a gap?
Separator block would be more reliable and easier to expand, and you would still need to use other devices to do stuff with the dropped items.
Blueblade11

Post by Blueblade11 »

So, basicallly a grate?
255 Characters Limit? D:
http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/941586- viewtopic.php?f=11&t=3117
I don't want to go back to MCF! Even if I do stupid things here 90% of the time!
weylin

Post by weylin »

Right, but it wouldn't let chickens or silverfish fall through and inadvertently lead to the catastrophic destruction of my first built automatic manufacturing plant
Heilkaiba

Post by Heilkaiba »

This isn't actually all that difficult although my suggestion may not work depending on the design of your farm. Use a siding block attached to the underside of the block above to form a half block gap through which items can pass but not animals I have tested this on baby chickens and silverfish as these seemed the most likely to get through. Simply set up a water source one block from the edge (and to the side) to push the items into the gap and the animals past. Obviously under the gap there will need to be a space for the items to fall into hoppers, more water, etc.
weylin

Post by weylin »

I understand you can just have your animals sitting in water, but it looks rather silly when you could instead hide all that under the floor of the holding pins. It would look nicer, wouldn't be such a mess.
weylin

Post by weylin »

nobody gets the idea?

It's just a block that allows for separation between mobs and item collection systems.

Instead of putting wolves up on top of platforms surrounded by water, you'd just lead them into a holding area, and the dung would fall through the floor into whatever system you have down below.
This would also be useful for chickens as well
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

weylin wrote:nobody gets the idea?

It's just a block that allows for separation between mobs and item collection systems.

Instead of putting wolves up on top of platforms surrounded by water, you'd just lead them into a holding area, and the dung would fall through the floor into whatever system you have down below.
This would also be useful for chickens as well
The thread didn't get any more conversation because it isn't needed. And bumping your own thread is just distasteful.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Locked due to self-bump.