A new hopper filter

If you want to get banned, this is the place to post.
The great randomo

A new hopper filter

Post by The great randomo »

I for one, think the hopper filter system is one of the most ingenious aspects of the mod: it allows for complicated systems for separating items without being OP or too difficult to manage. However, there is one thing I would add: a way to split stacks in two. This would come in the form of a new filter (blood wood leaves?) that would swallow half of a stack of items placed on it, and leave the rest.
This would have many useful applications, such as separating wheat in a breeding farm and splitting the drops from a powered hopper.
I would love to see this. :)
Chris Martin wrote:The morning is for sleeping.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: A new hopper filter

Post by FlowerChild »

Well, a couple of things:

First, it really wouldn't help that much with automated systems given that stacks aren't automatically formed out of the output of farms and such, it's all single-item stacks that come out. I suppose you could rig up a second hopper to combine them into stacks and periodically spit them out, but that seems like an an extremely artificial and complicated mechanism just to get that to work.

Secondly, it's not really technically reasonable. As stacks pass over the Hopper, they collide with the filter-surface multiple times. To make this work, I'd need some kind of tracking variable to indicate if a stack has already been processed by the filter it is colliding with, and that would require me to modify the item-stack base-class. I don't think this kind of change is warranted given the limited utility this would have, as described above.

So yeah man, I don't see much utility to this at all, and given the technical requirements, it just doesn't make much sense.
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

A way to split an item rout would be welcome though. For eg a hopper variant that does not have the output on the bottom, but rather 2 outputs on the sides, and alternates sending items to those outputs when mechanicaly powered.

There is a way to split item routs currently, using clocks and pistons cutting waterflows alternatively, but it doesn't work that well and causes a lot of lag (for me at least)

Applications where this would be nice to have is breeding, wolf feeding, reseeding wheat farms from their own output, and generally resupplying automated farms with material.
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

MoRmEnGiL wrote:A way to split an item rout would be welcome though. For eg a hopper variant that does not have the output on the bottom, but rather 2 outputs on the sides, and alternates sending items to those outputs when mechanicaly powered.

There is a way to split item routs currently, using clocks and pistons cutting waterflows alternatively, but it doesn't work that well and causes a lot of lag (for me at least)

Applications where this would be nice to have is breeding, wolf feeding, reseeding wheat farms from their own output, and generally resupplying automated farms with material.
Yeah, that's certainly valid. Let me mull it over.

I'm not sure what you mean about alternating water-flows not working well though. I use that kind of system with a BD for feeding my wolves and it works great.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

MoRmEnGiL wrote:A way to split an item rout would be welcome though. For eg a hopper variant that does not have the output on the bottom, but rather 2 outputs on the sides, and alternates sending items to those outputs when mechanicaly powered.

turntables + dispensers have done just fine for me in the past. That said, to do it accurately is a hell of a lot of work for a fairly small gain. I support the idea of splitting item flows.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

I think Morn means that i may not work quite well because of lag on his machine, which is more a performance issue than anything. I haven't gotten to the point of having to consider such systems myself. Going through things very, very slowly much to my chagrin.
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

morvelaira wrote:I think Morn means that i may not work quite well because of lag on his machine, which is more a performance issue than anything. I haven't gotten to the point of having to consider such systems myself. Going through things very, very slowly much to my chagrin.
I'm sure you work spectacular despite the lag on my machine :P

What I mean is, it is a clunky system that has to be set up in very specific ways, not allowing for a lot of freedom, which means that if you want to install such a setup on an existing system you often need to tear up a significant part of the infrastructure you have in place. Plus the lag..

I like using clocks a lot, but the lag kills it for me, which is a pity, I hate having to restrict myself for technical non-gameplay reasons.
War..
War never changes.

kregoth

Post by kregoth »

I would love to see a sort of advanced hopper that has 2 outputs on the side.

The idea I think would work is it doesn't have a filter for the top it just grabs anything that goes over it, but it has 2 filters for the output portions to help split what needs to come out. so for say a chicken farm you would have a hopper that takes in eggs, chicken, and feathers and splits them based on the filters you have for the output. To help balance it a bit, maybe it would have less inventory space then a standard hopper due to the double outputs, or requires 2 mechanical power sources.
FlowerChild wrote:My theory is that stupidity acts like an infectious organism on the net. Unless it's regularly pruned from your "garden", it will inevitably overwhelm it and kill off everything else.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

MoRmEnGiL wrote: What I mean is, it is a clunky system that has to be set up in very specific ways, not allowing for a lot of freedom, which means that if you want to install such a setup on an existing system you often need to tear up a significant part of the infrastructure you have in place. Plus the lag..
I think you're exaggerating based on your performance issues man. Yes, the systems can be large and complex, but routing water-flow for distribution like that is a pretty cool mechanism IMO.

Regardless, like I said, i do consider it a valid request and will consider it. Providing some kind of chute that splits into two and randomly distributes between the two sides seems like a very basic mechanical system that should be within Steve's grasp.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

kregoth wrote: The idea I think would work is it doesn't have a filter for the top it just grabs anything that goes over it, but it has 2 filters for the output portions to help split what needs to come out. so for say a chicken farm you would have a hopper that takes in eggs, chicken, and feathers and splits them based on the filters you have for the output. To help balance it a bit, maybe it would have less inventory space then a standard hopper due to the double outputs, or requires 2 mechanical power sources.
I fail to see the advantage of that over the filter system already provided, which effectively routes in two directions based on a filter.

Then there's the added complication of needing a third filter over top to determine what goes into the system to begin with to prevent jams given that the items entering might not pass through either of the other two.

I think you're over-complicating a decent suggestion for splitting distribution for no good reason.
kregoth

Post by kregoth »

FlowerChild wrote:
kregoth wrote: The idea I think would work is it doesn't have a filter for the top it just grabs anything that goes over it, but it has 2 filters for the output portions to help split what needs to come out. so for say a chicken farm you would have a hopper that takes in eggs, chicken, and feathers and splits them based on the filters you have for the output. To help balance it a bit, maybe it would have less inventory space then a standard hopper due to the double outputs, or requires 2 mechanical power sources.
I fail to see the advantage of that over the filter system already provided, which effectively routes in two directions based on a filter.

Then there's the added complication of needing a third filter over top to determine what goes into the system to begin with to prevent jams given that the items entering might not pass through either of the other two.

I think you're over-complicating a decent suggestion for splitting distribution for no good reason.
Ya I reread the splitting he was referring to and it confused me for a minute. But ya a redstone/mechinal hopper that covers half it's filter when receiving power or no power would work quiet well.
FlowerChild wrote:My theory is that stupidity acts like an infectious organism on the net. Unless it's regularly pruned from your "garden", it will inevitably overwhelm it and kill off everything else.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

kregoth wrote:Ya I reread the splitting he was referring to and it confused me for a minute. But ya a redstone/mechinal hopper that covers half it's filter when receiving power or no power would work quiet well.
You're still not grasping (and overcomplicating) the idea.

Imagine a chute. The chute splits in two. Items falling in the chute randomly go down one side or the other. End of story.
ialdbaoloth

Post by ialdbaoloth »

Stormweaver wrote:turntables + dispensers have done just fine for me in the past. That said, to do it accurately is a hell of a lot of work for a fairly small gain. I support the idea of splitting item flows.
I like turntable + dispensers - you can see how they work :)
Especially if FlowerChild is only considering random distribution rather than strict alternation,
isn't that pretty much a single-block replacement for a dispenser on a buddy on a turntable?
(If the suggestions includes absolutely strict alternation, I don't see the motivation but it does
sound like it would be tricky to do without a new block).
kregoth

Post by kregoth »

FlowerChild wrote:
kregoth wrote:Ya I reread the splitting he was referring to and it confused me for a minute. But ya a redstone/mechinal hopper that covers half it's filter when receiving power or no power would work quiet well.
You're still not grasping (and overcomplicating) the idea.

Imagine a chute. The chute splits in two. Items falling in the chute randomly go down one side or the other. End of story.
:( "Feels like an idiot for not understanding" But I get what you mean now.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

ialdbaoloth wrote: I like turntable + dispensers - you can see how they work :)
Especially if FlowerChild is only considering random distribution rather than strict alternation,
isn't that pretty much a single-block replacement for a dispenser on a buddy on a turntable?
(If the suggestions includes absolutely strict alternation, I don't see the motivation but it does
sound like it would be tricky to do without a new block).
Aside from any performance issues mentioned above, I think the advantage of the chute I describe is it provides a simple and logical alternative to do something easily that is very simple from a mechanical standpoint to pull off. Building a relatively complex machine to do something that could be achieved with an extraordinarily simple device consisting of a couple of chutes seems counter-intuitive IMO.

Something to do this in a manner that would alternate between the two outputs on the other hand, would be a much more complex mechanical device involving some kind of sensing mechanism that would switch between the chutes each time something passes through. I'd be much more reluctant to add something like that, and I think dealing with a small degree of variance over time in your automated systems is a perfectly reasonably trade-off at this tech level.
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

Yeah, that's exactly what we need. Just a random split, which statistically should do the same job as a complex system of alternating outputs. Space conservation people! :P
War..
War never changes.

BigShinyToys

Post by BigShinyToys »

Here is how I split up the feed for my wolves. Have a two pistons facing each other . one Block ( dose not matter what is is ) and one axle between them With one blank space. Below a steam of water.
this allows you to let items drop through or not. Then place one of those over every wolfs pen and Have the water flow along the top. Then a normal dispenser can be used to put out only the amount of feed you want witch flows to the wolf that has there slot open . But not to the others . A piston rig counter can be used to alternate the opening and closing of the dogs Slots . ( this is a simple system of getting a very accurate split of food to your dogs. And can be scaled up to larger wolf dung farms. )

as for a new filter It would not work any way.

You start out with 64. It is split to 32 then 16 then 8 then 4 then 2 then 1

Wolf number six only gets 1 but wolf one gets 32. ( is not a fair system. )

[Edit]
MoRmEnGiL wrote:Yeah, that's exactly what we need. Just a random split, which statistically should do the same job as a complex system of alternating outputs. Space conservation people! :P
I put up a suggestion a long time ago For a block that could make this easier . more info in Spoiler
Spoiler
Show
Please don't bump this old idea thank you.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=818

This would sit on a turn table and be spun around Allowing items that flow onto the top to be split evenly.
Last edited by BigShinyToys on Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
The great randomo

So will this thing edit the way items are dropped from a hopper? if a glass pane type block was placed underneath it, they would go either side, or am I missing the point?
kregoth

Post by kregoth »

what FC is getting at here is a simple chute that just randomly stops anything from going down one side of the chute and alternates between the two randomly.

The idea above is great and somewhat fits. but I think that it would be a bitch to code.
Last edited by kregoth on Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BigShinyToys

Post by BigShinyToys »

kregoth wrote:The idea above is great and somewhat fits. but I think that it would be a bitch to code.
If you are referring to the old idea I linked then I have to say in my deference at the time I thought it would be easy to code. But now after trying to mod with JAVA, I can see that it would be a pain .this thread was about discussing item distribution I thought I should throw the idea in the mix and see what happens :)
The great randomo

Linking back to the original post, would this 'chute' block split a stack of items equally over 2 sides/directions? It would be useful if it did as a sort of 'side function' to the main function of the block.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

The great randomo wrote:Linking back to the original post, would this 'chute' block split a stack of items equally over 2 sides/directions? It would be useful if it did as a sort of 'side function' to the main function of the block.
To what end? You say it's useful, but how exactly would you use that?
RaustBlackDragon

Post by RaustBlackDragon »

FlowerChild wrote:
The great randomo wrote:Linking back to the original post, would this 'chute' block split a stack of items equally over 2 sides/directions? It would be useful if it did as a sort of 'side function' to the main function of the block.
To what end? You say it's useful, but how exactly would you use that?
To distribute factory-farmed pork equally between wolf feeders, for example?
What's the price of freedom now?
Can you cut me a deal?
A crate of wholesale liberty,
or a justice combo meal?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

RaustBlackDragon wrote:To distribute factory-farmed pork equally between wolf feeders, for example?
To reiterate my original point about this suggestion: anything that is automatically farmed is not stacked. It comes out in single units.
RaustBlackDragon

Post by RaustBlackDragon »

FlowerChild wrote:
RaustBlackDragon wrote:To distribute factory-farmed pork equally between wolf feeders, for example?
To reiterate my original point about this suggestion: anything that is automatically farmed is not stacked. It comes out in single units.

Okay, then I'll shut up, sorry :)
What's the price of freedom now?
Can you cut me a deal?
A crate of wholesale liberty,
or a justice combo meal?