BTW RecipeBook fix, v101 (Updated with textures)

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
RaustBlackDragon

BTW RecipeBook fix, v101 (Updated with textures)

Post by RaustBlackDragon »

EDIT: Updated, thanks to Walker_boh65 for the textures!

Sorry if this doesn't belong here, but since it's entirely built around Better Than Wolves, I thought it would be relevant.

After a lot of tedious copy-and-pasting, I've managed to complete the first version of my add-on to better than wolves, which adds fake, unusable recipes to the game, requiring unobtainable ??? items with labels that explain whether this needs to be done on an anvil, in a cauldron, etc. The result is that if you have Risugami's recipebook, you'll be able to use it to check how to craft everything in BTW.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/25139867/BTW%20 ... 20v101.zip

I thought I'd submit it for group testing before I post it on the forums. I'm gonna use it myself, but if anybody else finds any problems with it, please let me know so I can correct them.

Thanks, and I hope you like it! Just drop it in the mods folder in your .minecraft folder.

Pictures here:

http://imgur.com/a/TfHsE
Last edited by RaustBlackDragon on Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:18 pm, edited 6 times in total.
What's the price of freedom now?
Can you cut me a deal?
A crate of wholesale liberty,
or a justice combo meal?
Zhil

Re: BTW RecipeBook fix, v1

Post by Zhil »

Great! Will have to try this one later :)
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

Well, might as well try it, i'll give a full report edited to this post.

EDIT (as promised): First off, when did recipe book change from clicking to scrolling, and in a weird way. That took way too long to figure out. I really like this and I'm glad you were able to do this. Now just a couple of suggestions.
Before releasing to the masses, create an install.txt or something to that manner.
If you could create an actual image for what you need, Such as an image that shows you need it to work on the anvil, instead of question marks. Just to save a bit of time for the user, not having to scroll over each question mark.
If there is any way to show the turns of the turntable to make each unfired pottery, that would certainly help.
I doesn't seem like the book was able to tell how many animal products made glue/tallow because they all showed up as 1:1 for me
I did not see the recipes for cooking food in the cauldron (unless I completely missed it).
But again, very good for the first go around at it, I will recommend this to a friend of mine who has been intimidated, to say the least, about all the new recipes.
Last edited by walker_boh_65 on Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

Seems like a very good thing for the new/casual players, great job man :)
RaustBlackDragon

Battosay wrote:Seems like a very good thing for the new/casual players, great job man :)
Thank you!
Can you cut me a deal?
or a justice combo meal?
RaustBlackDragon

walker_boh_65 wrote:Well, might as well try it, i'll give a full report edited to this post.

EDIT (as promised): First off, when did recipe book change from clicking to scrolling, and in a weird way. That took way too long to figure out. I really like this and I'm glad you were able to do this. Now just a couple of suggestions.
Before releasing to the masses, create an install.txt or something to that manner.
If you could create an actual image for what you need, Such as an image that shows you need it to work on the anvil, instead of question marks. Just to save a bit of time for the user, not having to scroll over each question mark.
If there is any way to show the turns of the turntable to make each unfired pottery, that would certainly help.
I doesn't seem like the book was able to tell how many animal products made glue/tallow because they all showed up as 1:1 for me
I did not see the recipes for cooking food in the cauldron (unless I completely missed it).
But again, very good for the first go around at it, I will recommend this to a friend of mine who has been intimidated, to say the least, about all the new recipes.
Thanks for your input!

Yeah, I don't think I can actually show stacks of items in the recipebook, just in the output, so there's only space for 8. Since the vast majority require much more than that, I had to settle for just listing them at 1 to 1.

As for the icons, if anybody would be willing to make some for me, I'd be happy to add them, it's just I'm quite bad at sprite art.

I'll see if I can actually control what type of unfired pottery gets displayed. I think I can now that I've reconsidered it, if I look at the original recipe for BTW in the code.
Can you cut me a deal?
or a justice combo meal?
embirrim

Post by embirrim »

Nice addition to the recipe book!
But, as has been stated, it would be extremely useful if you could change the ??? for actual images =D much more useful.
Also, I noticed that the recipe for crafting a Detector Block on the anvil says it produces a Block Dispenser. I've made Detectors so... Probably a code error. Look into it!
All in all, good mod! Pretty usefull as I find myself running to the wiki sometimes -.-'
RaustBlackDragon

embirrim wrote:Nice addition to the recipe book!
But, as has been stated, it would be extremely useful if you could change the ??? for actual images =D much more useful.
Also, I noticed that the recipe for crafting a Detector Block on the anvil says it produces a Block Dispenser. I've made Detectors so... Probably a code error. Look into it!
All in all, good mod! Pretty usefull as I find myself running to the wiki sometimes -.-'
Thanks for that bug report! The majority of the process of making this was mindless copy-pasting ad nauseum, and it figures I'd make a mistake like that somewhere down the line.

And again, I'd be more than happy to include images if somebody is willing to make them, because I'm pretty bad at sprite art.
Can you cut me a deal?
or a justice combo meal?
Husbag3

Post by Husbag3 »

As well as the DB image bug, the unfired pottery image is not right.

EDIT: As well as that, could you make the image names of the question marks correspond to the command so that if we wanted to do our own textures we could do so?
If the minecraft world is infinite, why does the sun still rotate around it?
RaustBlackDragon

Husbag3 wrote:As well as the DB image bug, the unfired pottery image is not right.
Right, I thought for some reason choosing the image would be nigh-impossible for multi-form items, but I've since come to my senses, I'll work it out before I release this to the forums.
Can you cut me a deal?
or a justice combo meal?
RaustBlackDragon

Husbag3 wrote: EDIT: As well as that, could you make the image names of the question marks correspond to the command so that if we wanted to do our own textures we could do so?
They already do, they're all clone image files, because I had issue using the same image for multiple items with my main mod.
Can you cut me a deal?
or a justice combo meal?
Husbag3

Post by Husbag3 »

RaustBlackDragon wrote:
Husbag3 wrote: EDIT: As well as that, could you make the image names of the question marks correspond to the command so that if we wanted to do our own textures we could do so?
They already do, they're all clone image files, because I had issue using the same image for multiple items with my main mod.
I may have misunderstood you but whe i open up BTWRBfix it has i1 i2 i3..... instead of specific names.
RaustBlackDragon

Husbag3 wrote:
RaustBlackDragon wrote:
I may have misunderstood you but whe i open up BTWRBfix it has i1 i2 i3..... instead of specific names.

Oh, I guess I misunderstood YOU... I thought you meant you wanted me to split up the image files to make texture packing possible, but you wanted me to label the image files to make it not involve trial and error? Gotcha. I'll do that.
Can you cut me a deal?
or a justice combo meal?
Husbag3

Post by Husbag3 »

Thanks.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Very nicely done man. Thanks for putting this together, as I'm sure a lot of folks will appreciate it.
RaustBlackDragon

FlowerChild wrote:Very nicely done man. Thanks for putting this together, as I'm sure a lot of folks will appreciate it.
No problem! Once I work out the kinks, I'm gonna post it on the forums. Currently I need to fix some of the recipes, mainly the ones using the same block ID for multiple items, and also make the info things have better images. I'll need somebody to do that second part though, as I've said repeatedly, I suck at sprite art :)
Can you cut me a deal?
or a justice combo meal?
embirrim

Post by embirrim »

Lol I'd love to help you with that, however I've never actually done it so... kinda difficult xD
Do you have any suggestions?
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

RBD (you don't mind that i shorten your name do you?) I'd gladly help do some of the sprite work. All i would need its better labelled pictures, and I should be good to go. I'm not promising professional work, but it should be good enough for use.
RaustBlackDragon

walker_boh_65 wrote:RBD (you don't mind that i shorten your name do you?) I'd gladly help do some of the sprite work. All i would need its better labelled pictures, and I should be good to go. I'm not promising professional work, but it should be good enough for use.
Epic, I'll PM you a list of icons, and then I'll take care of the names for the images for you later.
Can you cut me a deal?
or a justice combo meal?
RaustBlackDragon

Can anybody tell me if I've missed any recipes, aside from the ones previously mentioned, that being the food cooking and arrowheads?
Can you cut me a deal?
or a justice combo meal?
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

Could I ask for some pictures of this? I'm curious how it actually looks but I'm not able to install it at the moment.
RaustBlackDragon

Ever used recipebook?
Can you cut me a deal?
or a justice combo meal?
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

RaustBlackDragon wrote:Ever used recipebook?
Yeah, I meant how the BTW recipes look with it. I'll probably take a look for myself tomorrow regardless.

Thanks for doing this By the way.
RaustBlackDragon

Mason11987 wrote:
RaustBlackDragon wrote:Ever used recipebook?
Yeah, I meant how the BTW recipes look with it. I'll probably take a look for myself tomorrow regardless.

Thanks for doing this By the way.
No problem, but basically to answer you question, I just put the ingredients for mixing stuff randomly on the crafting table along with a "note item" saying what it goes in, and whether it's stoked or unstoked. as for the anvil, it's the exact formation required, and I throw a "craft on anvil" tag somewhere. On a few this wouldn't fit, since they used all 9 slots, but conveniently all of these used redstone, so I made a tag for the anvil that added "Also this should be redstone."
Can you cut me a deal?
or a justice combo meal?
Blueblade11

Post by Blueblade11 »

Defintely going to try this later, I'm (usaully) tabbing off to the wiki every 5 mins :P
255 Characters Limit? D:
http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/941586- viewtopic.php?f=11&t=3117
I don't want to go back to MCF! Even if I do stupid things here 90% of the time!