Jolicraft BTW (16x16p) (Now with Deco support!)

This sub-forum is dedicated to add-ons and texture packs for Better Than Wolves.
Zhil

Re: Jolicraft BTW (16x16p)

Post by Zhil »

RaustBlackDragon wrote:I'm sure it'd be possible if I talked to the people involved. In fact, since I'm currently working on the final release before multiplayer, this might be a good time to do that. Thanks for the suggestion!
Actually, have you thought about looking into just providing a collar texture? Take a look at how skins work with an extra texture layer and just put a collar on. That way, whatever texture pack wolf, DT just supports it out of the box.

Question: Is every texture supposed to be a different dog, or is it actually meant to be just a collar retexture?
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
RaustBlackDragon

Post by RaustBlackDragon »

Gilberreke wrote:
RaustBlackDragon wrote:I'm sure it'd be possible if I talked to the people involved. In fact, since I'm currently working on the final release before multiplayer, this might be a good time to do that. Thanks for the suggestion!
Actually, have you thought about looking into just providing a collar texture? Take a look at how skins work with an extra texture layer and just put a collar on. That way, whatever texture pack wolf, DT just supports it out of the box.
Now THAT would be an interesting idea. However...
Gilberreke wrote:
RaustBlackDragon wrote: Question: Is every texture supposed to be a different dog, or is it actually meant to be just a collar retexture?
Neither. It's different collars by default, but it's meant to be set up so that you can make your dogs look like whatever you want, with as few restrictions as possible.
What's the price of freedom now?
Can you cut me a deal?
A crate of wholesale liberty,
or a justice combo meal?
Zhil

Post by Zhil »

RaustBlackDragon wrote:Neither. It's different collars by default, but it's meant to be set up so that you can make your dogs look like whatever you want, with as few restrictions as possible.
Yeah, I suddenly realized I could make 16 different dog breeds if I wanted to. Jolicraft has 3 by default and I'd add the default vMC wolf.

In that case, I can have 4 dogs with 4 variations each supported by v1 and add 4 more for v2 (I'm thinking Jack Russell, Border Collie, Australian Shepherd, Husky).

With randomobs, I'd just add extra skins for all the supported wolfs and DT would choose the right one by default.

In that case, DT just has to check if randomobs is installed, check the texture number and assign the DT texture number by default. If they match in terms of skins, turning a wolf into DTDoggie would seem seemless.
RaustBlackDragon

Gilberreke wrote:
RaustBlackDragon wrote:Neither. It's different collars by default, but it's meant to be set up so that you can make your dogs look like whatever you want, with as few restrictions as possible.
Yeah, I suddenly realized I could make 16 different dog breeds if I wanted to. Jolicraft has 3 by default and I'd add the default vMC wolf.

In that case, I can have 4 dogs with 4 variations each supported by v1 and add 4 more for v2 (I'm thinking Jack Russell, Border Collie, Australian Shepherd, Husky).

With randomobs, I'd just add extra skins for all the supported wolfs and DT would choose the right one by default.

In that case, DT just has to check if randomobs is installed, check the texture number and assign the DT texture number by default. If they match in terms of skins, turning a wolf into DTDoggie would seem seemless.
Yeah, that's definitely a good idea. I think I'm gonna try and make the DoggyTex thing be in an external folder.

In any case, I've already contacted Baltichou, so I'll work this out one way or another.
Can you cut me a deal?
or a justice combo meal?
RaustBlackDragon

I used the jolicraft customizer to make the wolves pugs instead of those... things, and it's a marked improvement. While I feel one can do a lot better than Pugs in the cuteness department, I'd be happy to use those in the intermediate release you talked about. Again, thanks a TON! Doggy Talents currently has pretty much ZERO texture pack support!
Can you cut me a deal?
or a justice combo meal?
Zhil

Post by Zhil »

Can you test out this prerelease?

If satisfactory, I'll release it. For now, it offers four distinct textures and all the items
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?8kkqtp963mm1tnu
RaustBlackDragon

Gilberreke wrote:Can you test out this prerelease?

If satisfactory, I'll release it. For now, it offers four distinct textures and all the items
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?8kkqtp963mm1tnu
Nice work!

A few things though:

1: The treats are a tad small, which wouldn't be a problem, except the super treat resembles a gold nugget.
2: The Doggy Charm.

"Go on, use it. Come on, it gives you a free puppy! Why don't you believe me? Come on! Do it!"

Maybe once you get some of the custom dog breeds done, you could go back to this and give it a friendlier face?

I love the rest though.

As for the dog skins, I'm assuming the skins that used the default Jolicraft undead hellhound thing were placeholders. The collars themselves looked great, nice job!
Can you cut me a deal?
or a justice combo meal?
Zhil

Post by Zhil »

RaustBlackDragon wrote:1: The treats are a tad small, which wouldn't be a problem, except the super treat resembles a gold nugget.
I'll try to make them a little larger
RaustBlackDragon wrote:2: The Doggy Charm. [Maybe] you could go back to this and give it a friendlier face?
I'll make this one an alt and provide a doggy face :)
RaustBlackDragon wrote:As for the dog skins, I'm assuming the skins that used the default Jolicraft undead hellhound thing were placeholders. The collars themselves looked great, nice job!
Well, some people like wolves, some like cute dogs. I'm leaning towards providing at least some scary looking dogs, as I'm assuming some people will want those to have a fearsome guard dog.

I'm thinking of maybe a Pitbull like dog and a Husky/Malamut for those people who like the guard dog / wolf-like dogs and some Jack Russells, Collies, Shepherds and whatnot for the cute dog lovers :)

Does that sound good?
RaustBlackDragon

Gilberreke wrote: Well, some people like wolves, some like cute dogs. I'm leaning towards providing at least some scary looking dogs, as I'm assuming some people will want those to have a fearsome guard dog.

I'm thinking of maybe a Pitbull like dog and a Husky/Malamut for those people who like the guard dog / wolf-like dogs and some Jack Russells, Collies, Shepherds and whatnot for the cute dog lovers :)

Does that sound good?
Ah yes, of course, excellent point! That sounds great, good luck!
Can you cut me a deal?
or a justice combo meal?
Mr_Hosed

Post by Mr_Hosed »

Got another bug report. The Mining Charge bottom texture (The Thin Side) is missing half the texture and is transparent.

On the note of Jolicraft wolves. They're the one texture that doesn't really fit well in default pack. Fortunately I've always slaughtered all wolves on site and with BTW stick them all in dark rooms to poop their lives away so I rarely ever see them.
Zhil

Post by Zhil »

Mr_Hosed wrote:Got another bug report. The Mining Charge bottom texture (The Thin Side) is missing half the texture and is transparent.
I can't reproduce this at all. Do you have a screenshot? Edit: oh, it only happens if you place them upside down. Fixed for next release.
Mr_Hosed wrote:On the note of Jolicraft wolves. They're the one texture that doesn't really fit well in default pack. Fortunately I've always slaughtered all wolves on site and with BTW stick them all in dark rooms to poop their lives away so I rarely ever see them.
I disagree, I love the default wolves
Mr_Hosed

Post by Mr_Hosed »

Gilberreke wrote:<snip>
I disagree, I love the default wolves
I love the cleverness of the texture work. Especially the pug. And their basic design fits well with the pack, but they always seemed "off" compared to creepers carrying dynamite or pigs covered in mud. Btw, I'll have some more pictures of my BTW world using your pack soon. I was trying to build a multifloor elevator, but I wasted SO much time on it that I'm going to do some auto-farms and maybe a soul forge steel facility first. I'll post pics to the picture thread as I finish each one.
Zhil

Post by Zhil »

Mr_Hosed wrote:I'll post pics to the picture thread as I finish each one.
I always love screenshots man :). Much obliged.
RaustBlackDragon

Hey man, I was thinking: I'm all for intimidating guard dogs and war hounds, that sounds awesome along with the cute doggies, but I honestly don't feel the default jolicraft wolves are altogether very intimidating or badass-looking, just ugly and malnourished-looking. If you think you can do better in that department, I highly encourage that you give it a shot!
Can you cut me a deal?
or a justice combo meal?
Zhil

Post by Zhil »

RaustBlackDragon wrote:Hey man, I was thinking: I'm all for intimidating guard dogs and war hounds, that sounds awesome along with the cute doggies, but I honestly don't feel the default jolicraft wolves are altogether very intimidating or badass-looking, just ugly and malnourished-looking. If you think you can do better in that department, I highly encourage that you give it a shot!
Yeah, I will, but it takes a bit of inspiration and creativity each time I have to start a texture from scratch, so I'm saving those new textures for when I feel like doing them. I've been doing a lot of texture work and I don't want to burn myself out :)
RaustBlackDragon

Gilberreke wrote:
RaustBlackDragon wrote:Hey man, I was thinking: I'm all for intimidating guard dogs and war hounds, that sounds awesome along with the cute doggies, but I honestly don't feel the default jolicraft wolves are altogether very intimidating or badass-looking, just ugly and malnourished-looking. If you think you can do better in that department, I highly encourage that you give it a shot!
Yeah, I will, but it takes a bit of inspiration and creativity each time I have to start a texture from scratch, so I'm saving those new textures for when I feel like doing them. I've been doing a lot of texture work and I don't want to burn myself out :)
Fair enough, wouldn't want that to happen! I know the feeling, actually, and it sucks royally when it happens.
Can you cut me a deal?
or a justice combo meal?
Zhil

Post by Zhil »

New release!

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?2dve9m72db085b5

- Doggie Talents support
- Moved alternate textures to the alt folder
- Some small fixes here and there, nothing major I think

RBD: the bigger treats are in the alt folder, I personally like them small :)
Last edited by Zhil on Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RaustBlackDragon

Gilberreke wrote:New release!

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?2dve9m72db085b5

- Doggie Talents support
- Moved alternate textures to the alt folder
- Some small fixes here and there, nothing major I think

RBD: the bigger treats are in the alt folder, I personally like them small :)
Okay, thanks! I'll test it out right now!
Can you cut me a deal?
or a justice combo meal?
RaustBlackDragon

OH MY GOD, YOU DID THE PACKPUPPY GUI.

Thank you!

But you forgot the little square thing that's drawn for the inventory slots. The slots don't show up, the items just float in their places in the GUI.
Can you cut me a deal?
or a justice combo meal?
Zhil

Post by Zhil »

RaustBlackDragon wrote:But you forgot the little square thing that's drawn for the inventory slots. The slots don't show up, the items just float in their places in the GUI.
It's in the PNG, it should be a dark brown square. I tested it and it works for me :/
Zhil

Post by Zhil »

Updated to BTW 3.30

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?5tgyh53nafpcadg

Haven't had much time to test, tell me if you find bugs. Breeding harness = epic
misterwuggles

Post by misterwuggles »

I blame you for my newly formed addiction to Jolicraft. I used to switch around and not really settle on anything but now I use it exclusively, even for all my non-BTW Minecrafting (which isn't terribly extensive, but still).

Thanks again man, I really appreciate the work you put into this stuff.
Zhil

Post by Zhil »

misterwuggles wrote:Thanks again man, I really appreciate the work you put into this stuff.
No problem, it's appreciated :)
Mr_Hosed

Post by Mr_Hosed »

Hey Gil, I posted the elevator I just finished building on the BTW Picture thread. Here's a teaser for ya :)
RaustBlackDragon

Hey Gil, how're the rest of the textures coming along? I can't wait to switch to Jolicraft :)
Can you cut me a deal?
or a justice combo meal?