Ocean Transports / Cargo Haulers

If you want to get banned, this is the place to post.
PatrickSJ

Ocean Transports / Cargo Haulers

Post by PatrickSJ »

Minecarts can be used to transport items from point A to point B, but building a rail system to cross oceans is expensive and annoying. BTW has several tools for advanced crafting and perhaps we are at the stage where we build transports that can travel rivers, large lakes, and oceans and haul a lot of items (more than a double chest's worth).

Local and ground based transport systems can still be minecart based, but oceanic transport needs something better than a long rail system that takes forever to build. This wasn't really necessary prior to 1.8, but with the new terrain generation it has become impractical to build bridges everywhere.
Thieme

Re: Ocean Transports / Cargo Haulers

Post by Thieme »

So to rephrase you want something to be added to the mod wich makes it easier to transport items across large bodies of water.

My opinion is that it doesn't fit the mod (yet) and building bridges or tunnels just seems part of the game to me.
And if you then come across a ocean of 1000×1000 why should you want to cross it?
Not to start a MC -> real life comparison but for us oceans where a boundary for a long time as well.
M!C

Post by M!C »

Similar ideas have been discussed and rejected or postponed. Use your search function:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1405&p=19864&hilit=vehicle#p19864

This one's also worth a look if a bit chaotic:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=17&hilit=vehicle
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Since all distances in MC can be divided by 8 by means of the nether, long distance transportation of items is kinda...well, meh. On top of that, I doubt half my inventory would be full were I to move my BTW tech to a new area - just need a stack of logs, a bunch of iron and the waterwheel-axles-saw and you're gravy. Maybe a few bits to make a cobble generator too.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
PatrickSJ

Post by PatrickSJ »

Thieme wrote:So to rephrase you want something to be added to the mod wich makes it easier to transport items across large bodies of water.

My opinion is that it doesn't fit the mod (yet) and building bridges or tunnels just seems part of the game to me.
And if you then come across a ocean of 1000×1000 why should you want to cross it?
Not to start a MC -> real life comparison but for us oceans where a boundary for a long time as well.
Thieme, the chickened crossed the road to see what was on the other side. Why should I also limit myself to 1 place? I see an ocean and and I want to see what is on the other side. Hence I suggest a transport that makes it easier to erase that boundary. However, while I do see building as major part of the game, building railways just to transport more than local distances is very, very annoying. Tell me, if you had a way to pick up and move would you? I find a certain challenge in starting in a new location, but having to start from the very first workbench is ugh. Taking the time to gather resources, put then in the transport, and then exploring until I say stop here? Now that is fun.

M!C wrote:Similar ideas have been discussed and rejected or postponed. Use your search function:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1405&p=19864&hilit=vehicle#p19864

This one's also worth a look if a bit chaotic:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=17&hilit=vehicle
MC, those suggestions were about just having something to ride or local transport. Also, I did search and see those. However, they were not about being able to move across large bodies of water. Admittedly prior to 1.8 all bodies were small and easy to bridge.

Stormweaver wrote:Since all distances in MC can be divided by 8 by means of the nether, long distance transportation of items is kinda...well, meh. On top of that, I doubt half my inventory would be full were I to move my BTW tech to a new area - just need a stack of logs, a bunch of iron and the waterwheel-axles-saw and you're gravy. Maybe a few bits to make a cobble generator too.
Stormweaver, you cannot send a cart from the main world into the nether. Would need to unload, carry, load, unload, carry just to move items. If there was a way to have a cart from the main world successfully move into the nether I would be for it. I just want a way to be able to transport over large distances without having a build a 1-time rail system. A transport allows you to move items and explore at the same time.
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

I think "I need a way to move bases across water huge distances" would meet FC's recently articulated request for suggestions. It presents a problem, that can't really be accomplished in an "automated way" and could fit in with the general scheme of BTW. In general the longer you play the more you are really tied down to one location, having something like this could again (with some risk) give you an opportunity to pull up your stakes in search of a new place to settle.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

PatrickSJ wrote:
Stormweaver wrote:Since all distances in MC can be divided by 8 by means of the nether, long distance transportation of items is kinda...well, meh. On top of that, I doubt half my inventory would be full were I to move my BTW tech to a new area - just need a stack of logs, a bunch of iron and the waterwheel-axles-saw and you're gravy. Maybe a few bits to make a cobble generator too.
Stormweaver, you cannot send a cart from the main world into the nether. Would need to unload, carry, load, unload, carry just to move items. If there was a way to have a cart from the main world successfully move into the nether I would be for it. I just want a way to be able to transport over large distances without having a build a 1-time rail system. A transport allows you to move items and explore at the same time.

I have a good memory, and I know for a fact this has been suggested before in the 1.8 biome context. Beyond that...there's so much here that just seems...just...what?
- You can move your whole inventory with you to the nether. If you have to make a couple of 20-second trips to load up your cart(s), it's more than made up for by the incredibly reduced travelling time
- "Moving itemz is hardz"; Shiftclicky, portal, shiftclicky. Done.
- If you're exploring, why do you need more than 36(?) slots? Even food stacks now.
- Why not build a rail system? It's cheap, easy and looks cool. and is one of the only rewarding features of vMC.

If i'm missing something I apologise, but i see this thread don't why even.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
grimper12341

Post by grimper12341 »

The zeppelin mod is what you want. You can build a ship, put a bunch of chests on it, then make it fly or float. Even works (sometimes) with blocks from other mods, a lot of people use it to make oil tankers for buildcraft. However do backups before experimenting with mod blocks, if you pick a block it doesn't like your minecraft may die.

In fact, the zeppelin mod is perfect for what you are suggesting, it would be a massive waste of time for FC to do the same.
Necropolis

Post by Necropolis »

I agree. Was thinking Zeppelin the whole time. It's what I use for my little archipelago to go and collect animals and bring them home. And I've used it several times for long distance exploration and resource retrieval in the days when my metals were using betterore, so my mines were few, far between, and rich. Which, by the way, is a way I would have liked to have seen Minecraft go. It gives you incentive to explore. Only problem with betterore was that there was no indication on the surface (despite biome odds increases) that there was a mineral deposit underneath.
PatrickSJ

Post by PatrickSJ »

Necropolis wrote:I agree. Was thinking Zeppelin the whole time. It's what I use for my little archipelago to go and collect animals and bring them home. And I've used it several times for long distance exploration and resource retrieval in the days when my metals were using betterore, so my mines were few, far between, and rich. Which, by the way, is a way I would have liked to have seen Minecraft go. It gives you incentive to explore. Only problem with betterore was that there was no indication on the surface (despite biome odds increases) that there was a mineral deposit underneath.
The zepplin OP says that chests don't hold items (they pop out when it becomes movable). How did you carry resources?
Sky_Som

Post by Sky_Som »

PatrickSJ wrote:
Necropolis wrote:I agree. Was thinking Zeppelin the whole time. It's what I use for my little archipelago to go and collect animals and bring them home. And I've used it several times for long distance exploration and resource retrieval in the days when my metals were using betterore, so my mines were few, far between, and rich. Which, by the way, is a way I would have liked to have seen Minecraft go. It gives you incentive to explore. Only problem with betterore was that there was no indication on the surface (despite biome odds increases) that there was a mineral deposit underneath.
The zepplin OP says that chests don't hold items (they pop out when it becomes movable). How did you carry resources?
Zeppelin mod does now do chests. Just not furnaces. Even redstone works now.(I never played with redstone on the craft, it's gotten buggy with the 1.8.1 release... Lost my house to it) But still I have to agree, a better boat to get across oceans would be good.
Minecraft Name:Sky_Som
grimper12341

Post by grimper12341 »

Yeh the zeppelin people are very hypocritical. They yell at peeps in the thread for not reading the OP, when half the time they havn't updated it and that information isn't in the OP xD
Necropolis

Post by Necropolis »

I think furnaces work now, too...yep, furnaces work.
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

Funny thing is, you can use the zeppelin mod for much more than air transport.. :P

For eg a fast to build manually controlled elevator.

Still, we need to agree on this guys, is the fact that another mod has a solution to a problem a deterrent by itself for implementing a BtW solution or not? Because I see this argument virtually in every other suggestion and usually the problem is not that it has been done/can be done, but that the original idea is not suitable to btw

Also the fact that something can be done in vMC is not an automatic "no" to a concept. You can already build elevators in vMC with pistons, that didn't stop BtW elevators :]
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
grimper12341

Post by grimper12341 »

Well I really don't see the point in FC wasting time on something that's already been done, when he could be designing something original and interesting.

Obviously not all the mods suggested will fit with BTW's tech tree, but we can't have everything.
Necropolis

Post by Necropolis »

I would say that it depends on how well implemented it is in another mod, and how compatible that mod is with others. If it modifies no base classes, is well programmed, and solves a host of needs (usually more than what the original poster was wanting), it's usually also a safe bet that it would not be particularly easy to implement. With all those properties, it would be superfluous for FC to work it into the mod, unless he had specific plans for it that far exceeded what the other mod had to offer. What FC has made plain is that he wants suggestions for problems that people have, and problems that are solvable already with ease and efficiency by mods that fulfill the above conditions are probably not within the scope of suggestions that he wants. Transportation mods in particular fulfill them, as with Zeppelin and Airship. Or even Trains.
Deepsniper

Post by Deepsniper »

If I knew where to start, what needed to be done and understood/looked over some boat code I think I could work something out... I'm nowhere near the coder FC is but if I can get some pretty good form of it done I'm sure people would like it.
Necropolis

Post by Necropolis »

The problem people have with the boat is that it works like a boat. It drifts, it takes time to start up, it continues to move after you apply motive force, and if you smash it at high speed into rocks it breaks. I've never felt any of these things to be particularly annoying or unnatural. To me it just feels like being on a boat. My only problem was the inability to make ships for the purposes of cargo transport and long term ocean voyages (and the lack of oceans to make such trips viable). Those problems have been solved by Notch and a single mod. So I'm not really sure there is a need to make a "better" boat, although I'm certain people would take it.

Though come to mention it, there is a Steam-boat mod by pchan (the maker of Airship) that moves faster and has much better control. So maybe that's something to look into.
Deepsniper

Post by Deepsniper »

Maybe but I personally like the aspects of the current boat, well except for the breaking aspect but i can make a workaround with that making the "barge" slower than the regular boat but also much more durable and maybe larger too... could be a use... I think I could figure out something that might word and also would make it a lot of fun to use... I mean who wants to use rails to get across the sea or large lake if they can just use a boat to carry their stuff...
M!C

Post by M!C »

Mojang has something in the works it seems ...
Okt. 25. 04:11 PM
Jens Bergensten
Yeah there are plenty of boat bugs... I'll look at them before Minecon
Deepsniper

Post by Deepsniper »

Well that spoils my fun... I'll still work on it and see what I can do. Maybe, If i study a bit of the BTW code I could slip it into the BTW tech tree as an add on... But first I'll have to dig up the boat code and modify it a bit which isn't that hard then slip in some extra data to make it like mine-cart chest.... Anyone got any other suggestions for it?

Oh I just got an idea now :) Make it a customization boat... so you need to build the parts of the boat then put it together... but there are more parts depending on what you want... That way you can build boats of different aspects but they don't necessarily need to be the size of a house...
PatrickSJ

Post by PatrickSJ »

You mean make it in the same fashion as the zeppelin mod but with a static layout or more like the airplane mod?
Deepsniper

Post by Deepsniper »

As the airplane mod i guess. Kinda hard to tell when all my notes are in paper..
PatrickSJ

Post by PatrickSJ »

Deepsniper wrote:As the airplane mod i guess. Kinda hard to tell when all my notes are in paper..
Hm, I'm to quickly break a rule here regarding recipes, but perhaps a construction yard block is best. However, instead of recipes it requires X amount of various blocks/items in its inventory. Once the requisite amount the player can pick a "construction" and the yard block + materials is consumed with a vehicle entity appearing in its place.

I always had a problem with being able to carry planes in my inventory, but I do admit that being able to carry so much cobble isn't much different.

However, large scale yards does open possibilities for things that seem like they should not be created in a workbench or anvil. Does this mean that we should consider methods for large constructions as a pat of BTW? It can be especially expensive if the yard block requires an anvil.
Deepsniper

Post by Deepsniper »

I like the way your going... I'll see what I can do about the boats first, then I'll see what I can do on the construction method.. for now though I'm still at work and far from having my codes handy.