Hellfire Bombs

If you want to get banned, this is the place to post.
Crazylemon64

Hellfire Bombs

Post by Crazylemon64 »

The whole idea:
Spoiler
Show
Well, concentrated hellfire is quite unstable as it is, and it wouldn't be tough for Steve? to connect the dots. Could emulate the old ghast attack effect, leaving (stoked?) fire in its wake. However, the fire may make this explosive a poor choice for harvesting large amounts of common blocks (like netherrack, important in the later stages of this mod), a task TNT can do better at. Using metadata, you could have another block with the same ID (Or simply have them be items), with some compound that would inhibit the fire, at the cost of nerfing the blast power a little as well.
TL; DR; Hellfire explosives explode better than TNT, but is fiery w/o some kind of inhibitor.
Last edited by Crazylemon64 on Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:17 am, edited 4 times in total.
jorgebonafe

Re: Hellfire Bombs

Post by jorgebonafe »

I like this idea. And it would be possible to prevent using any block IDs by creating only a throwble item, like a hellfire grenade.

But I have a feeling this was probably suggested before
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
Crazylemon64

Post by Crazylemon64 »

jorgebonafe wrote:But I have a feeling this was probably suggested before
I have that feeling too, but looking at the post history of the past three pages or so, it comes up completely clean. Well, I saw an interesting suggestion for using TNT to literally blow fish out of the water, but that's it. Mayhaps these bombs could drop cooked fish!
Being on topic here, an item would work just fine for this too, it may be a little less precise, but would have the same effect. Using some auto-processing block, like a cauldron, with some reagents could cut out the crafting middleman and directly explode. This actually gives me the idea for a whole new block, but 1 thread, 1 suggestion.

EDIT: A VERY good use for this kind of item would be netherrack harvesting, as netherrack has a blast resistance comparable, if not lower, than dirt. Why bother with TNT anymore if you have a more unstable and powerful alternative?
danielngtiger

Post by danielngtiger »

The first thing I thought of when seeing this was that it would be awesome if you could craft it with glue and make a "sticky grenade."

It could definitely be useful as a netherack havsting mechanic. Ghast bombs seem to blow such a big hole, even a comparable explosive could be worthwhile. It seems like it would be reasonably at Steve's tech level, Ghasts make such inordinate amounts of fireballs anyway that it is probably possible to somehow replicate that.
However, I definitely think this should be a throwable item, as an explosive doesn't really warrant a block id, seeing as we have TNT.
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright before you hear them speak.
DocLazy

Post by DocLazy »

It would be nice to have an explosive that didn't destroy blocks like the current TNT does.
OneTripleZero

Post by OneTripleZero »

I would actually love this, some kind of thrown explosive. I was trapped in a ravine last night and ran out of arrows. Would have done me wonders if I could have been able to drop some bombs on the creepers waiting for me on the next level down.
Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for Humanity - Horace Mann
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

Hellfire could be integrated into the thrown potion mechanics to create a throwable tnt of sorts.
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
Crazylemon64

Post by Crazylemon64 »

jorgebonafe wrote: But I have a feeling this was probably suggested before
Hmm. Just used the search function, and it seems there's already a topic: Right here.

Do you guys think it warrants this suggestion being shut down, or is there enough variance between the two ideas?
MoRmEnGiL wrote:Hellfire could be integrated into the thrown potion mechanics to create a throwable TNT of sorts.
And hellfire potions could make the player explode/catch on fire, and splash would ofc explode on impact. And as for whether it's possible for FC to code in new potion effects w/o base class edits or not, we'll just have to wait and see.
GabLann4

Post by GabLann4 »

that would b awesome!
maybe made with steel, and when exploding making a 5x5 fire area, or maybe even make wholes on the ground
If u don't like my post, I'm sorry...
I'm trying to e optimist.