PayPal Help

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
FlowerChild
Site Admin

PayPal Help

Post by FlowerChild »

Ok guys, I tried to setup my donation button yesterday, and being a total PayPal noob, I ran into a problem that has me scratching my head:

The thing is, after it was all setup, I ran a test where I made a donation to myself. Everything worked out hunky dorey, until the donating account received the email receipt for the transaction.

In the receipt *my real name was clearly stated* (as the recipient of the donation). This is a big problem, as my name is extremely distinct and it would take someone a 5 minute google search to track me down based on that alone. Given the amount of hate I receive from the Minecraft community, this is obviously not something I want to have happen.

Now, I wanted to put this out there in case any of you have experience with PayPal. Is there any way you know of that I can hide my real name while accepting PayPal donations?
Necropolis

Re: PayPal Help

Post by Necropolis »

You'd need a business account. It will show the name of the business, instead of your own. I'm not sure exactly of what the cost will be.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Necropolis wrote:You'd need a business account. It will show the name of the business, instead of your own. I'm not sure exactly of what the cost will be.
All right man, thanks for the help. Will give that a shot.
BigShinyToys

Post by BigShinyToys »

Just give me youre
NAME:
DOB
Creditcard details
and I will set it up for you ;)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

BigShinyToys wrote:Just give me youre
NAME:
DOB
Creditcard details
and I will set it up for you ;)
Lol! If I'm paranoid enough to donate money to myself to test this thing out, I'm far too paranoid to fall for the above ;)
screally

Post by screally »

Can't you get a friend or family to set it up for you?
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

As soon as this is up, I'm buying you 20$ of beer :D
grimper12341

Post by grimper12341 »

FlowerChild wrote:This is a big problem, as my name is extremely distinct and it would take someone a 5 minute google search to track me down based on that alone
It's Homer Wolfkill isn't it D:

(wonders if anyone will get the specific simpsons reference)
Lighthouse

Post by Lighthouse »

Necropolis wrote:You'd need a business account. It will show the name of the business, instead of your own. I'm not sure exactly of what the cost will be.
Aren't business account non-free (i.e you have to play fee for the account each month)? It begins to be like rather bad idea...... >.>
Brethern

Post by Brethern »

Lighthouse wrote:
Aren't business account non-free (i.e you have to play fee for the account each month)? It begins to be like rather bad idea...... >.>
The pay pal site says they are free.

Also as another option I'd consider google check out.

Why?

It's not paypal and google has many decent services as well.
Kwilt

Post by Kwilt »

Brethern wrote:
Lighthouse wrote:

Why?

That's actually not a good idea. If you want to see a prime reason as to why you shouldn't (and can't) use Google Checkout for 'donations', check out this post about Project Zomboid.

Love Google to death (they put pennies on my pocket, so they're the boss), but some things just aren't a good idea with them. Dunno if their TOS has changed at all, but yeah. No bueno.

Image (<--------------- Click me to watch live!)
Brethern

Post by Brethern »

KWilt wrote:
Brethern wrote:
Lighthouse wrote:

Why?

That's actually not a good idea. If you want to see a prime reason as to why you shouldn't (and can't) use Google Checkout for 'donations', check out this post about Project Zomboid.

Love Google to death (they put pennies on my pocket, so they're the boss), but some things just aren't a good idea with them. Dunno if their TOS has changed at all, but yeah. No bueno.
So what exactly was the issue anyways?
Kwilt

Post by Kwilt »

Brethern wrote:So what exactly was the issue anyways?
Basically, IndieStone (the company that made Project Zomboid) basically didn't fall into the jurisdiction of an organization or group that can legally accept donations through Google Checkout. I doubt it would harshly deal the same with Flower and BTW, but I'd rather not take my chances, given how they had to pay hell to get their money.

I'd have to go diving into the TOU to tell you if you'd be able too, but like I said, if we're working fine with PayPal, I see no reason to run a double hassle.

Image (<--------------- Click me to watch live!)
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

Project Zomboid is a great game and great fun, I recommend it to fans of zombies, survival and games you have to figure out.

The real name in paypal receipts is an old issue, much discussed and very unfortunate.

To my knowledge there is no workaround, other than upgrading to business,thus giving the company name in the receipt. If you do that though iirc you will only be able to withdraw money to your company's bank account. It is a hassle for sure.

And what you said about the hate you receive just downright saddens me..
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
Brethern

Post by Brethern »

KWilt wrote:
Brethern wrote:So what exactly was the issue anyways?
Basically, IndieStone (the company that made Project Zomboid) basically didn't fall into the jurisdiction of an organization or group that can legally accept donations through Google Checkout. I doubt it would harshly deal the same with Flower and BTW, but I'd rather not take my chances, given how they had to pay hell to get their money.

I'd have to go diving into the TOU to tell you if you'd be able too, but like I said, if we're working fine with PayPal, I see no reason to run a double hassle.
To be fair they probably should have read the tos more.

I don't like paypal or google checkout.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Sorry for the necro, but having returned to trying to set this up, I'm still having huge difficulties.

I *can* upgrade my account to business, but that requires me to provide a whack of customer support info, including an address.

Obviously, having my address attached to receipts is actually worse than having my name attached :)

I really need help from someone that understands the ins and out of receiving donations through PayPal. If anyone can provide it, I'd be very much obliged.
Calcifire3691

Post by Calcifire3691 »

I'd be careful about trying to obscure things. paypal is getting into a habit of freezing accounts for the slightest mistake recently. (see regretsy fiasco (apparently, it's ok to care for sick cats,but not ok to buy christmas presents for orphans) and a more recent one about an alzheimers charity)
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

OMG NECRO! BANNED!

On a more serious note. What about bitcoin? That would keep you anonymous... Lol
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Calcifire3691 wrote:I'd be careful about trying to obscure things. paypal is getting into a habit of freezing accounts for the slightest mistake recently. (see regretsy fiasco (apparently, it's ok to care for sick cats,but not ok to buy christmas presents for orphans) and a more recent one about an alzheimers charity)
I don't want to provide false information or anything like that. That's why I'm having this problem to begin with.

I definitely want to keep everything on the up and up, but if there's a way not to have my identity revealed to people making donations while doing so, I'd very much like to know about it.

I'd be very surprised if every modder on MCF who is accepting donations through paypal is also revealing who they are at the same time.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Maybe you could ask some of them?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Yeah, that was my first thought to, but the only big modder I really have a relationship with where I'd trust them with something like this is SpaceToad, and from what I can tell he's not actively following his mod-related email account anymore, so I'm unlikely to be able to get any information from him in a reasonable amount of time.
RaustBlackDragon

Post by RaustBlackDragon »

FlowerChild wrote:Yeah, that was my first thought to, but the only big modder I really have a relationship with where I'd trust them with something like this is SpaceToad, and from what I can tell he's not actively following his mod-related email account anymore, so I'm unlikely to be able to get any information from him in a reasonable amount of time.
Tell ya what: I'm actually having this exact same issue. I'll ask around and let you know what I find out.
What's the price of freedom now?
Can you cut me a deal?
A crate of wholesale liberty,
or a justice combo meal?
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

I don't believe anyone with malicious intentions would go as far as make you a donation just to find out who you are. Of course, that information can and probably will get you eventually in any case after a while, but even then, what's the worse that could happen? Some throwing eggs at your house?... I mean, all these people that hate you are just a bunch of angry kids, venting their own insecurities and depression on anyone they can, anonymously on the internet, because its so easy... Do you really think anyone would have courage or even care enough to do anything worse? Its pretty easy to flame people over the internet. For real, not so much...
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

jorgebonafe wrote:I don't believe anyone with malicious intentions would go as far as make you a donation just to find out who you are.
Really ?
You're just too kind then :)
I'm pretty sure a lot or people would pay 1$, just to find new way to troll him.
And even more, they only have to di it once, and share the info.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

I really want to know what your distinctive name is now... :P

EDIT: Another option for anonymous donations. Dwolla. Although I think they only work for in the US.
Last edited by Sarudak on Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.