TechPack Energy 0.2 - BTW/BC addon

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Gilberreke

TechPack Energy 0.2 - BTW/BC addon

Post by Gilberreke »

TechPack Energy 0.2

BTW Version: 2.96
Buildcraft Version: 2.2.1

Mechanical Engine: BC engine powered by mechanical energy from the back. This is a stable engine that never explodes and always outputs the same energy.

Recipe: Same as BC redstone engine, but with BTW gearboxes instead of wooden gears.

Download: http://www.mediafire.com/?3yxikjfmlj933gd

Old post:
Spoiler
Show
Now that jorge released his mod, I think it's time I released mine too.

I have a working BuildCraft/BTW mod that allows you to power redstone engines with mechanical power to get higher energy yield

Phase two will be biofuel. You throw wheat/hemp, sugar and charcoal into a refinery block, which generates BC fuel. I need to work out a few details for this, so it'll be a second release.

I'm about to release this, so I thought I'd get some feedback first. If everyone likes the idea, I'll release it. I'm probably throwing up the prerelease tonight.
Last edited by Gilberreke on Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:42 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
walker_boh_65

Re: BTW/BC addon - Energy

Post by walker_boh_65 »

been thinking about using BC, i think, depending on how i think it is balance was, this might tip me over the edge into using it.
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

Started BC a few days ago, and even if it seems off in Minecraft, unlike BTW, I really enjoyed playing with oil. So I might be interested :)
Mac

Post by Mac »

Since I like these two mods i`m definitely giving it a try.
Even if I normally use them separately.
My Youtube channel.

gftweek

Post by gftweek »

I have just installed BC with the latest BTW release, I haven't used it much yet though, but like the idea of being able to use resources across both and combine features.
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

That would be interesting, I like the idea of making redstone engines more powerful... Also I never actually used biofuel in BC, might try it now :P
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

I'm liking all these small compatibility mods, but what really needs to be addressed isn't compatibility so much as tech level.

One thing that came out of the recent modpack drama is that it's quite opbvious that compared to the other 'technical' mods out there, BTW is fairly...primative. I wish I could code in the slightest, as I'd love to do a tie-in mod which takes things like buildcraft, redpower and IC2 and shunts the progression to be in line somewhat with BTW - for example getting wooden/stone pipes around the start of mechanical power tech, and more advanced ones with the advent of alchemy and steel. That way you can play them together without BTW's progressive gameplay being swamped by the often cheaper solutions found in the other mods.

Just my opinion though. Tbh, I'm content with BTW as a stand-alone for the most part.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

Stormweaver wrote:I'm liking all these small compatibility mods, but what really needs to be addressed isn't compatibility so much as tech level.

One thing that came out of the recent modpack drama is that it's quite opbvious that compared to the other 'technical' mods out there, BTW is fairly...primative. I wish I could code in the slightest, as I'd love to do a tie-in mod which takes things like buildcraft, redpower and IC2 and shunts the progression to be in line somewhat with BTW - for example getting wooden/stone pipes around the start of mechanical power tech, and more advanced ones with the advent of alchemy and steel. That way you can play them together without BTW's progressive gameplay being swamped by the often cheaper solutions found in the other mods.

Just my opinion though. Tbh, I'm content with BTW as a stand-alone for the most part.
That's actually more or less the plan.

Tier 1 will tie all energy systems together, after that I'll do more balance stuff. Here's my list for the energy pack:
- BTW energy in BC (biofuel, mechanical engine and nethercoal) - this release
- BTW energy in IC² (hemp into plantballs, mechanical energy to electricity) - jorge's release + recipe
- BTW energy in RP2 (will depend on RP2's final feature set)
- BC energy in IC²/RP2 (electric output for BC engines)
- BC energy in BTW (BC engines power axles)
- IC² energy in BTW (axle engine)
- Energy converters (Blutricity/electricity/BC's redstone signals)
PatrickSJ

Post by PatrickSJ »

Stormweaver wrote:I'm liking all these small compatibility mods, but what really needs to be addressed isn't compatibility so much as tech level.

That could be done, but it could require changing the recipes. For example, IC2 uses refined iron to make the machine blocks which are one of the basic blocks. This could be delayed by replacing refined iron with BTW steel. Then change rubber to be creatable in only in the cauldron.

Redstone Power requires redwire alloy so we make it creatable only in the crucible in the manner of steel. That should help players complete BTW before you can advance very far in the other mods.

Edit
Compatibility is nice but tech trees require dependencies, so I am asking myself how can BTW make the other mods dependent on it.
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

I guess you are talking about rather then making mods to link somehow all three mods together, making a mod that would really change all three mods and create a fourth, all in one mod, with all balancing and tech progression in one? Wow... that would be a huuuuge undertaking.... Not to mention it would almost surely require changing base classes from all mods, therefore creating a problem with publishing it...
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
Magmarashi

Post by Magmarashi »

PatrickSJ wrote: Compatibility is nice but tech trees require dependencies, so I am asking myself how can BTW make the other mods dependent on it.
But re-writing a mod, that isn't yours, to FORCE it to tie in is pretty...well, it isn't something I expected anyone in this community to be behind at all. That seems to go against all the most basic tenants of respecting Mod Authors and their wishes and directions.

I mean, someone just got a nice little vacation away from the forums for expressing his intent to undo part of the work FC had just put in to updating BTW to 1.8.1. It was rude and disrespectful and he had it coming. I don't even know what to think about this at all. Wow. :(
SCIENCE!
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

jorgebonafe wrote:I guess you are talking about rather then making mods to link somehow all three mods together, making a mod that would really change all three mods and create a fourth, all in one mod, with all balancing and tech progression in one? Wow... that would be a huuuuge undertaking.... Not to mention it would almost surely require changing base classes from all mods, therefore creating a problem with publishing it...
Yeah, this. It's a huge undertaking, so for now I'd rather create small mods that glue everything together. A big balance mod would be cool, but it'd be HUGE. It'd also require a dedicated patcher to patch everything in, as I can't distribute any sources of the mods.

Think small, I'm not going to maintain a huge mod like that
Magmarashi wrote:But re-writing a mod, that isn't yours, to FORCE it to tie in is pretty...well, it isn't something I expected anyone in this community to be behind at all. That seems to go against all the most basic tenants of respecting Mod Authors and their wishes and directions.

I mean, someone just got a nice little vacation away from the forums for expressing his intent to undo part of the work FC had just put in to updating BTW to 1.8.1. It was rude and disrespectful and he had it coming. I don't even know what to think about this at all. Wow. :(
You don't seem to know what this is all about. First of all, this thread is about my small engine patch, don't derail it because someone suggested a huge balance mod. Secondly, no one is talking about forcing anything. Please take this discussion elsewhere.
PatrickSJ

Post by PatrickSJ »

Balancing mods is a huge undertaking. The problem is that nothing currently offers the ability to remove furnace/workbench recipes. If that could be done then someone could offer a compatibility mod that removes key recipes and insert new recipes that then creates a tech tree without modifying the original mods. Right now anyone would have to modify the mod files and redistribute. Since we don't do that it will have to wait until the ability to remove recipes is provided.

In the meantime the ability to have various mods interact is very nice.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

PatrickSJ wrote:In the meantime the ability to have various mods interact is very nice.
Exactly. Back on topic everyone, or I'll ask a mod to clean this thread out.
Xecaquan

Post by Xecaquan »

Not sure I completely agree with BTW being out of place.

In my Citadel world I have BTW, IC, and BC. Almost every room, but primarily the workshops have something from all three mods as part of each automated system. If it is simply the use of a hopper or turntable or even the all time fav the block dispenser. Each of the mod provides my systems something special, and allows me to get any automation done I want.

Granted if you think of BTW only in regards to the water/wind mill they seem dated to a nuclear reactor or an oil rig. But BTW brings so much more to the table than just the basic mechanical system.

Now I wish there were ways for me to power a gear box via a electrical current that either BC or IC provide but I'll live with tucking a water mill in the back of a room to get the job done.

On topic: providing power this way is it lower or equal to the stone engine?

Regarding the biofuel.... have you looked at doing it the way IC2 handles biofuel? to include the extractor, canning machine and Fuel cans?
MagusUnion

Post by MagusUnion »

Magmarashi wrote:
PatrickSJ wrote: Compatibility is nice but tech trees require dependencies, so I am asking myself how can BTW make the other mods dependent on it.
But re-writing a mod, that isn't yours, to FORCE it to tie in is pretty...well, it isn't something I expected anyone in this community to be behind at all. That seems to go against all the most basic tenants of respecting Mod Authors and their wishes and directions.

You mean me? Use my name next time plz...

And I personally like this because I see it as the next major step in the modding community as a whole: mods of mods. Meaning that members of different communities can come together and blend their hard work together in bigger and better things collectively, and not feel isolated by their own code from what they have done. Thru this utility, I do think mods can become intertwined in ways that not even the own mod creators foresaw...

Quite awesome imo. I think this is part of the reason the Minecraft Forge was made: to facilitate these cross-overs, and blend mods in such a fashion that they not only co-exist within the game, but other thrive off of each other's presence.

(but it is humorously ironic that a few things mentioned here have already been done by myself with small, behind-the-scenes mods... lol)
I'm not trying to come off as strong as I do. It's hard for me to personally see how I'm affecting others (even in real like).. and it makes me seem more of an ass than I want to be, so I apologize if you find what I say 'a bit rough'...
Magmarashi

Post by Magmarashi »

API Faciliated compatability is fantastic and should be a possibility and set goal for all who can manage it.

My outrage was misplaced, though, so I do apologize.

Magus, i was trying to not be rude and call you out, it is a peeve of mine
SCIENCE!
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Magmarashi wrote:

Sorry, didn't realise my post seemed so...harsh. Sorry for derailing your topic -.-

I'll probably download it once it's available though, as I'm going to be using buildcraft sooner or later anyways. sounds like a nice way to tie it in.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

Alright, here is release 0.1, mechanical redstone engine. Apply mechanical power to the back of a redstone engine to make it double its energy output. Let me know what you would like to see different.

Note that this is a prerelease, I need to figure out some stuff, mainly how not to make it crash if you don't have the correct mods installed. An update for that is already in the works and will be available for the next release. It is stable though and shouldn't give problems

http://www.mediafire.com/?quuca9cfg2zsgyy
PatrickSJ

Post by PatrickSJ »

Gilberreke wrote:Alright, here is release 0.1, mechanical redstone engine. Apply mechanical power to the back of a redstone engine to make it double its energy output. Let me know what you would like to see different.

Note that this is a prerelease, I need to figure out some stuff, mainly how not to make it crash if you don't have the correct mods installed. An update for that is already in the works and will be available for the next release. It is stable though and shouldn't give problems

http://www.mediafire.com/?quuca9cfg2zsgyy
Do you mean checking if the classes needed exist? You can use Class.forName(className). According to the API Class.forName(String className) "Returns the Class object associated with the class or interface with the given string name."
walker_boh_65

Re: TechPack Energy 0.1 - BTW/BC addon

Post by walker_boh_65 »

added to the buildcraft folder, correct?
gftweek

Post by gftweek »

walker_boh_65 wrote:added to the buildcraft folder, correct?
I haven't downloaded it yet, but I would think it should just work from the .minecraft/mods folder, if it doesn't edit vMC class files.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

gftweek wrote:I haven't downloaded it yet, but I would think it should just work from the .minecraft/mods folder if it doesn't edit vMC class files and is in a zip file (does modloader access rar files?).
Both BC and my mod need to be installed in the bin folder for now, I'll look into that.

There appears to be a saving chunks issue reported, if you have that, I'm looking into it.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

Sorry for the double post, but I fixed the issue and the link should be updated. Can anyone test this mod and let me know if it works for them?
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

link is still broken for me