What do you guys think about people taking over "dead" mods?

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
grimper12341

What do you guys think about people taking over "dead" mods?

Post by grimper12341 »

Found this thread earlier on the minecraft forums:

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/658 ... d-updates/

At last count this guy is taking over 31 apparently "dead" mods. At first I was totally against it, because it's entirely possible the mod authors are just on holiday, or waiting for the full release of minecraft. But since noticing that he's not using adf.ly I'm kinda sitting on the fence about it.

So what do you guys think about it?

EDIT: Just got this PM from a moderator after I reported the post -
Gestankfaust wrote:I have checked out your report and sort of agree. But the thread author has taken measures to abide by the copyright rules. I'm letting it stay for now. But I will keep an eye open for anything that may arise.

If you see blatant disregard show up, let me know please.
Brethern

Re: What do you guys think about people taking over "dead" m

Post by Brethern »

I have no problem with people taking over dead mods. If the author isn't updating it anymore then it's safe to say they probably don't care about it.
grimper12341

Post by grimper12341 »

It could also be safe to say they just went on holiday though or waiting for full release, everyone seems to presume they died or don't care.
Brethern

Post by Brethern »

grimper12341 wrote:It could also be safe to say they just went on holiday though or waiting for full release, everyone seems to presume they died or don't care.
Them they probably should have posted that they were going on holiday/waiting for full release. If they don't post anything we assume they lost interest.
Magmarashi

Post by Magmarashi »

grimper12341 wrote:It could also be safe to say they just went on holiday though or waiting for full release, everyone seems to presume they died or don't care.
That would only be an issue if he didn't try and contact the mod authors to see what was going on before he started, and if he refused to take the mods down if they asked.

But he has attempted contact, and he does say he will graciously remove them at the request of any mod author that isn't OK with it. So...

Accusing him of stealing and being entitled, for doing a good thing for other people, right to his face was hilarious though

edit: yeah, they should keep the community that their mod gathers abreast of any changes or vacations they can. FC has enough respect and care for his community to let people know, it isn't asking a lot at all.
SCIENCE!
grimper12341

Post by grimper12341 »

This seems kinda similar to the technic pack fiasco to me though, mods being taken without permission even if it is apparently for a good cause. It still shows a total lack of respect for the mod author, by letting their work become corrupted by others and not even bothering to wait a while before stealing it.

And if this is allowed, where does it stop? Doesn't seem that much of a stretch to maybe add something in the mod the thief thought was missing. Then they add a whole new feature. And eventually they've taken over the mod so completely it's not what the original author envisioned.
Last edited by grimper12341 on Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Quesoman

Post by Quesoman »

However, some mods haven't been updated for months, in which case it is safe to assume they got bored and left, or something along those lines.
He clearly states that when the mod author returns and asks this person to remove his version, he will do it asap.

What he probably did was update a few of the mods for himself, and then decided to share his work, FOR FREE, with the rest of the community. I believe it is alright for him to provide a service and ask nothing in return, especially if he has tried to contact the original authors and is willing to take down his version when they return (which he has already done as shown in the 1st page).

don't worry too much about it man, it's okay.

EDIT: The difference between this and the technic pack is that the mod authors of the second were active, weren't asked for permission and when asked to take down the pack, he refused or bribed the mod authors. I do not know if he made profit from it either.
Cultures are born and die, but the cheese is immortal.

-A very wise man
Magmarashi

Post by Magmarashi »

grimper12341 wrote:This seems kinda similar to the technic pack fiasco to me though, mods being taken without permission even if it is apparently for a good cause. It still shows a total lack of respect for the mod author, by letting their work become corrupted by others and not even bothering to wait a while before stealing it.
Corrupted? Stealing?

Wow. Remind me to never do you any favors, might end up on a cross XD
grimper12341 wrote:Doesn't seem that much of a stretch to maybe add something in the mod the thief thought was missing. Then they add a whole new feature. And eventually they've taken over the mod so completely it's not what the original author envisioned.
What, like MOD AUTHORS do when they decide a Game that lacks a certain feature should have it, so they add it, and soon they have entire communities devoted to them and their mod that completely change the play style from what the original developer intended? I'm not about to start calling Modders "thieves", that I am not comfortable with.

The earliest Minecraft mods, which weren't allowed at the time under the non-existant Mojang EULA, illegally decompiled the code of MC and built around it until the community grew to work outside having to make only crude alterations and then became accepted. How we forget our roots~
Last edited by Magmarashi on Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:46 am, edited 3 times in total.
SCIENCE!
Brethern

Post by Brethern »

grimper12341 wrote:This seems kinda similar to the technic pack fiasco to me though, mods being taken without permission even if it is apparently for a good cause. It still shows a total lack of respect for the mod author, by letting their work become corrupted by others and not even bothering to wait a while before stealing it.
Let's not go there, I had to restrain myself from speaking my mind on the matter. I don't think I could so it again.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Sorry guys, but thread locked. I don't want to be starting up this debate again.