Witnessing the end - a minecraft Journal. Chapter 20, 27/11

A place to talk to other users about the mod.

Just click 'Yes' If you're a regular reader, so I know how many of you there are.

Yes
89%
The other option
11%

Total votes: 95
BinoAl

Re: Witnessing the end - a minecraft Journal. Chapter 11, 17

Post by BinoAl »

Stormweaver wrote:-epicly huge entry-
Well, there goes my hopes of doing my psych 101 homework tonight :D (In a good way, ofc)
walker_boh_65

Re: Witnessing the end - a minecraft Journal. Chapter 12, 20

Post by walker_boh_65 »

Another great chapter, another great distraction
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Hehe, you're wecome :) but seriously, do your homework. You can always skip some sleep ^.^[/good influence]

There is one thing bugging me. There are quite a few changes upcoming for EqEx, largely the removal of agregators (in a manner of speaking) and many modifications for recipies. A major one (at this point in the journal) is that netherrack is going from redstone to rotten flesh, which i feel makes more sense. On the other hand...i dunno. Should I update and deal with it via plot device, or wait until the plot device fits more?
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
KriiEiter

Post by KriiEiter »

Stormweaver wrote:Hehe, you're wecome :) but seriously, do your homework. You can always skip some sleep ^.^[/good influence]

There is one thing bugging me. There are quite a few changes upcoming for EqEx, largely the removal of agregators (in a manner of speaking) and many modifications for recipies. A major one (at this point in the journal) is that netherrack is going from redstone to rotten flesh, which i feel makes more sense. On the other hand...i dunno. Should I update and deal with it via plot device, or wait until the plot device fits more?
As I see it, not all that much is changing (with the changing materials into other materials aspect), it's just that aggregators are going byebye in favor of condensers and such. I believe it's really just changing the fact that you could get infinite resources with the old system. This new one is actually using things up so you have near infinite, but not quite.

From what I gather, it's just that he didn't like the progression through the power items or something.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

KriiEiter wrote:As I see it, not all that much is changing (with the changing materials into other materials aspect), it's just that aggregators are going byebye in favor of condensers and such. I believe it's really just changing the fact that you could get infinite resources with the old system. This new one is actually using things up so you have near infinite, but not quite.

From what I gather, it's just that he didn't like the progression through the power items or something.
I've more or less decided how I'm going to deal with the aggregator change, although the transmustation table will be a loss, if only for my screenshots (I've used it once. then forgot about it).

Ah well. I've got the bits thought out for the next 2~ chapters, so it'll be reet.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
redrew89

Post by redrew89 »

I would like you to know that this thread is excellent, in my opinion. You're a talented writer, and the build progress looks good. I just dig large rooms underneath mountains, but Skyblock looks like a great way to have total creative freedom, without having to move all kinds of dirt and stone to do your building. Although, it would be a pain having to build platforms anywhere you wanted to start a new structure.

Plus, don't even get me started on Equivalent Exchange. You piqued my interest in this mod, and I have to say that I'm enjoying it, so far, having already gotten a P. Stone and Destruction Catalyst, along with an Alchemy Chest, Trans. Table, and both Aggregators. Now, I'm trying to get some Dark Matter, so I can make a Volcanite or Evertide Amulet. I've even set up a basic automatic sugar factory, inspired by yours, so I can transmute all the redstone and glowstone I could ever need. :P

If I keep up at this rate, I might just rip you off entirely, and make a quick cactus farm, but the nearest desert is still about a half-a-day's walk away. I guess I could just transmute some to start with, but I should probably take my Steve for a walk, as he has been spending hours in his mountain fortress, making lots of Mobius Fuel and glowstone, and waiting for his cobble stone factory to produce.

In short, I like what you're doing, and think you should update as soon as your able. I want to see what direction you decide to progress in. (I can see that EE is the type of mod where you can progress through the different items in whatever fashion you like, with certain requirements and restrictions on what you can get early as opposed to later.) Watching this topic very closely, from now on.
FlowerChild wrote:Happiness is a warm and moist tentacle.
FlowerChild wrote:I just want to be loved.
Havok wrote: I'm so fucking psyched I could punch a kitten into the troposphere
Rasuth

Post by Rasuth »

Hi there,

thought I'd join the choir of glee heralding your awesomness.

Seriously, you're doing a good job here, please keep it up.
TaterBoy wrote:Well, now I know. And as GI-Joe says, knowing is half the battle. :)
The other half is violence.
Unless you're GI Socrates. Then the other half is "You don't know anything
- TheAnarchitect
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Well, I think I've ironed out any problems regarding future updates to EqEx now, so back to storytelling...oh wait, need to actually play minecraft -.- Next bit should be up this evening.

I hope the guy who makes the albion texture pack gets better soon - I think he injured his hand - as the vannilla textures are starting to grate on me a little, and I don't like patchwork texture packs :| I also Don't have the patience to merge a few for personal use, though I'm tempted to try one day. And this is all mainly because I decided what the texture pack's plot device would be earlier today.

...it will be awesome. Kinda.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Ugh, I hate double posting. I also hate posting what is likely to be another typo-riddled chapter, but I'm tired. It's quarter to 6 in the morning here in (what will be sunny in 2 hours) England, and almost my bedtime. To make up for it, I'm thinking of moving all the previous chapters to the OP, and proofread as I go, to make sure than I'm not missing anything...also it'll leave more room for general talking and stuff, as you guys won't need to worry about cluttering the thread up. ain't I nice? Ok, a tad egotistical, but nice. Wait you want chapter 13 already? I promised it yesterday? Ocrap, here it is then.

Chapter 13: Time

I don't know where to start with this aggregator. From what I know, diamonds are used as lenses to focus ambient light on a material, and the proximity of glowstone crystals acts as a catalyst for the glowstone dust to start accumulating.

But with just that...I'm going to have to give this some thought. Simply throwing it together isn't going to work, and glowstone is too valuable to risk wasting right now. Once the reed...sugarcane farm has been harvested a few more times, I'll give it a shot. In the meantime, I need something to do.

A problem I've noticed recently relates to how building things here is...somewhat difficult. I can build huge, flat platforms with relative ease - the same goes for staircases and buildings that are built upwards. I don't have a desire to build down too far, but my little world is just going to get higher and higher, or be almost flat if I can't find a way to reach the underside of blocks sometimes soon. I know I used a water current to do so once, but...I don't want to risk that again.

Hmm, rope. I was working at grinding some hemp down when I realised that I had made my axles from the stuff - it's strong enough to operate machinery, so It should be strong enough to support my weight, right? I should braid some more, and craft some form of anchor; If it's a form of block, I shouldn't have to worry about it coming loose while climbing.

Spoiler
Show

Well, it works, in a manner of speaking. The rope feels too stiff; climbing it is possible, but it doesn't move, however I put my weight on it. I suppose it's just another of this world's conveniences, but...I just don't know. I thought I was getting used to the laws here, but I'm still finding myself surprised.

For now I may as well do something with it, I'm not at a loss for hemp fibres. Maybe use it for getting to the top of my windmill faster? Twice already storms have come suddenly and I haven't been able to climb those stairs fast enough to disable the gearbox. I could do with a way of detecting rain, but as of now, I can't think of one.

Spoiler
Show

It's gotten dark, but the rope is up. I was hurrying towards the end; the platform the rope is suspended from looks a little strange, but I should be able to fix that now, since the rope is sturdy enough for me to place items while holding onto it. But that'll be a job for tomorrow, for now I'll harvest some sugar cane and call it a night. Maybe I'll get some inspiration for this aggregator tomorrow.

No inspiration yet, so I may as well get something more done. Since I can reach the windmill from the platform below it now, perhaps I should move the saw and millstone down there? Only having one set up at a time has proven inconvenient at best.

Spoiler
Show

I've broken into my lunch early - bread and sliced melon today, I'm going to have to cull some more chickens - to decide how I want to do this. the hole for the axles to run though is done, but I'm going to have to set up some scaffolding to put them in place. I stopped to write this because from here, I can see my sugar farm, and had a thought regarding water flows. The reeds I've collected so far have always been bone dry, even if taken out of the stream itself. Would the same apply to hemp fibres? flour? If so, perhaps I could set up a collection system around the millstone, to collect them for me? It's habit of ejecting the items randomly has been a minor annoyance up till now, but if I were to set up a hopper, I could simply walk away after loading up the millstone without worrying. It's worth a thought, at least.

Spoiler
Show

I finally took down the last of the scaffolding; it's gotten late already. I've engaged the gearbox to do a quick test, and it seems it's all working fine...I was worried that the windmill might not be able to power both the millstone and saw at the same time, and I'd have to disable one. It might be a different matter once they're both in use, but I haven't noticed any extra strain in the axles just from using them till now. Now to disengage it again, collect what sugarcane has grown today, and again call it a night. Time's moving so fast, yet the world isn't changing; except for what I do to it. But then, the faster time goes by...the faster I'll be rescued.

I will be rescued.

I had another strange dream last night. I stood in vast plains, broken only by tall dark towers dimly reflecting the moonlight. Just before I woke...what was that I saw cross the sky?

Taking a break from my manual 'labour' I took out my philosophers stone, and took to transmuting some glowstone. Keeping some sugar aside for seasoning my food, and redstone for whatever wiring I may do next, I think I have enough that I can afford to waste some. Perhaps if I had lit those farms with torches, I'd have been able to start this sooner?

The first attempt at making an aggregator failed. The diamonds are flawless, and focus the light perfectly, and the glowstone...it should be in crystals on size with the diamonds, but it seems to hold together enough to cause the focused light to accumulate the dust, but it isn't working. If I try and place an item in the block, it sits there, but as the glowstone dust accumulates, it grows unstable and breaks, along with some of the glowstone blocks that are part of the construction.

Perhaps I need to clear my head...there's something simple that I'm missing here.

Setting up a water current around the millstone should be easy enough. I'd start now, but for lack of stone for the enclosure for it. There is still some raw stone - I guess it should be cobblestone, by the way it looks in the world - in the chest, but under it...I don't want to think about that yet.

Spoiler
Show

The second attempt appears successful at first glance. All I needed was a block capable of holding an item that is capable of keeping it stable while it changes, and a furnace seemed perfect. It's slow though. The aggregators I knew, you could see the dust crystallising, but this feels like watching a puddle evaporate. In the old world, I suppose - puddles, and any liquid from rain vanishes with the rain itself in this one. At least I didn't waste much glowstone making this one - what I have spare can be transmuted through iron, back into stone with a bit of work.

The stone is in the furnaces...there isn't much daylight left though. One last look outside, to plan for tomorrow. hopefully the aggregator just needs time to warm up...i'll check on it once the millstone's collector is set up. From there, I don't know what I should do.

Spoiler
Show

Morning again. Out of curiosity, I decided to see if the aggregator had sped up; from experience, the amount of dust I put in there should be fully crystallised by now. Unfortunately, it hadn't...it's operating at barely 1/8th of the speed it should be. I guess I could make more, once it's output enough to make more diamonds, but will it be worth it?

Spoiler
Show

I've started work on the millstone. It had to be raised up a little, but there is more or less enough space for a water flow. A thin panel of wood on the wall 'occupies' the co-ordinates it sits in, so the water doesn't appear to be able to flow into it, which is roughly how I planned it. At least this seems to be going right.

I think I'll build a roof over the top of it. I can't think of any reason to do so, beyond maybe as a shelter from the rain when it comes, but with my house so close even that reason seems weak. Everything is so close here.

Spoiler
Show

It's dark, but it's finally done. I seem to be able to lose myself making these small additions...even if they're not needed, passing time is a good reason for anything. Even if I'm passing time so I have more time to do other things...my nature of efficiency and automation doesn't suit this place, where time is abundant. I need ways to make time speed up. Sleep is a good method, but I can't sleep forever.

That dream again, that same shadow crossing the sky. What is that place?

Thinking about yesterday, I realised something. sure, a year ago sleep was a good method of passing time, but it felt almost as if I had forgotten the line of work I was in. It seems odd explaining it to a book, but since my knowledge on the subject is so fragmented...I guess all I can do is write it down.

Legends of alchemists and alchemy all revolve around turning base materials and metals to gold, and creating strange potions to give eternal life. In truth, it goes far beyond that: with enough resources at a man's disposal, a man can become a god, even if it requires power equivalent to that of a star for him to use it, else becoming a mere human again till he gathers more fuel. Gold isn't the end result: it's a goal, as gold is currency, and it can be traded in any kingdom in the old world. The real world: here it would be useless for that purpose. Here, there is no reason not to go further, to diamonds, and then to the true end product of alchemy, the fabled 'dark matter'. Almost anything is possible, with enough of it. Rumours of everything from flight, immunity to fire, being able to breathe water, regeneration of wounds, even weapons capable of tearing apart armies.

The ability to manipulate time.

If I had that ability...time wouldn't be an issue. An eternity here could pass in mere moments.

It's little more than a dream, no more real than those black towers and that flying shadow. But it's hope. I have a lot of things in quantity: melon slices, eggs, hemp seeds...but hope is a resource I can do something with.

Could I build hope here?

Spoiler
Show
Last edited by Stormweaver on Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
pi4t

Re: Witnessing the end - a minecraft Journal. Chapter 13, 21

Post by pi4t »

Impressive! Quite a major typo here, though :P
I was worried that the windmill might not be able to power both the windmill and saw at the same time,
Off topic, do you really go to bed around 6AM? What time do you get up??
Stormweaver

Re: Witnessing the end - a minecraft Journal. Chapter 13, 21

Post by Stormweaver »

pi4t wrote:Impressive! Quite a major typo here, though :P
I was worried that the windmill might not be able to power both the windmill and saw at the same time,
Off topic, do you really go to bed around 6AM? What time do you get up??
fixed it, thanks.

I went to bed around half seven actually - didn't need to get up till around 1. I work from/at home, so my hours...vary. They'er getting later and later as time goes on though.
Stormweaver

Re: Witnessing the end - a minecraft Journal. OP updated!

Post by Stormweaver »

Ok, from now on, all entries are going to be put into the OP, to save cluttering the thread. I'll bump the thread each time with a note saying whichever chapter's been updated, etc.

If anyone sees any mistakes, feel free to let me know - I think I've cleaned up everything up the chapter 13, but I can't be sure. But otherwise, you can talk more now. So long as the thread's kinda active, I know people are reading it. Feedback would be great though, as I'm going to be worried about it becoming stale or just devolving into rambling as time goes on -.-

Right now, everything up to chapter 13 is available. 14...doesn't even have screenshots yet, so that'll likely be tomorrow sometime.
FurkeyRefills

Post by FurkeyRefills »

Storm, are you still planning to use buildcraft at an point ?
FlowerChild wrote:I've made another decision... Fuck being a plug-in.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

FurkeyRefills wrote:Storm, are you still planning to use buildcraft at an point ?
Yup. It'll just be the pipes, pumps and perhaps the quarries (should I decide I want a proper cobble generator before soul urn tech) but it'll be there. The plan is to start to introduce them once I have glue for waterwheels, as I'll be using the mechanical engines minimod for powering them in the beginning. Well, and redstone engines too, but that'll be the rough point they turn up.

Next chapter's going to just be tidying up automation, and complaints about the cauldron not being hot enough, then I'll advance up the BTW tech tree a bit more regardless.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

Stormweaver wrote:as I'll be using the mechanical engines minimod for powering them in the beginning
As in, my mod? Fire me a PM when you'll be needing it, I need to get out the release, but my medical condition has been worse. It's not that much work, so I'm sure I can get an update out if necessary (and I do enjoy reading these).
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Gilberreke wrote:
Stormweaver wrote:as I'll be using the mechanical engines minimod for powering them in the beginning
As in, my mod? Fire me a PM when you'll be needing it, I need to get out the release, but my medical condition has been worse. It's not that much work, so I'm sure I can get an update out if necessary (and I do enjoy reading these).
Yup, and sure :)

Hope you start feeling better man.
msticninja

Post by msticninja »

I just had to register to say thanks for posting this. It's been really entertaining, and it's renewed my interest in MC for a while. :)

A bit off-topic: Have you noticed how you can use the Block Dispenser to suck up cobblestone from a cobblestone generator, and if timed right, the newly created cobblestone will stop the Dispenser from spitting it back out, thus filling it's inventory with tons of cobblestone, really quickly? Then you can use the Gem of Eternal Density to instantly convert it all to Diamond Ore.

A lot of people have probably figured that out already, but it would be nice to see how Steve perceives the blending of his old "mechanical" process with the benefits of alchemy to condense the output.(All the ores multiplying and condensing in mid-air in front of Steve is slightly disconcerting even for me, and I'm just playing the game.)

For anyone that hasn't figured it out, here's a couple versions:
Spoiler
Show
I'm using a minecart and wooden detector rails to time the on/off cycle of the Block Dispensers. If you have mechanical power nearby, a turntable is more adjustable and reliable, but I don't want to run gearboxes all the way from my waterwheel.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

msticninja wrote:I just had to register to say thanks for posting this. It's been really entertaining, and it's renewed my interest in MC for a while. :)
-snip-
Your insiration encourages me to get the next chapter up tonight :p I'll try for ealier than 5am this time.

As for the off topic: Yeah, I've used cobble generators for ages with BTW, had the building of them down to an art. Then over time I discovered that my overuse of them was causing massive particle buildup, making my game lag :| Thankfully FC's fixed it (still need to do stress testing on that tbh) so yeah, a cobble generator will pop up. Might be a while off though, now that BDs need soul urns -.-

Anyways, chapter 14 should be up tonight; I'll get the images uploaded when i next go on the PC. Featuring a bit of tidying, a bit of getting cold, a bit of warming up, a bit of lighting up, and a bit of beef. I promise I'll get to the screaming of souls sooner or later :p
msticninja

Post by msticninja »

Stormweaver wrote:
msticninja wrote:I just had to register to say thanks for posting this. It's been really entertaining, and it's renewed my interest in MC for a while. :)
-snip-
Might be a while off though, now that BDs need soul urns -.-

I promise I'll get to the screaming of souls sooner or later :p
I spent an entire night setting everything up to get Soul Urns, quite a bit to make steel now, but it is a nice "twisted" twist. I wish someone had told me about the screams though. I've got my mills right next to my house. All I hear all night is the tortured souls of the Nether being ground to dust!

Can't wait for the update. Looking forward to some serious Pi-style hallucinations and paranoia from Steve.
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

Hey, you're crushing hundreds of souls, the least you could do is be a witness to their suffering :p
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

update will be tomorrow - damned man-flu. It feels like I'm hungover, except it's constant, and didn't require any alcohol -.- Pics are uploaded though.
Ichi16

Post by Ichi16 »

hey just want to say epic journal really enjoy reading it. i feel like it does a great job of explaing in a way that not to over the top. hope you keep making more.
i really enjoy your writing style, do you write for other stuff?
back to lurking
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Ichi16 wrote:hey just want to say epic journal really enjoy reading it. i feel like it does a great job of explaing in a way that not to over the top. hope you keep making more.
i really enjoy your writing style, do you write for other stuff?
I started writing a book a few years back, and got a good responce from it tbh. The only problem is that when i'm writing, if i get interrupted, i tend to lose the flow of it immediately and it takes ages for me to get back to it :|

If it wasn't for that little flaw, chapter 14 would already be up. But instead I'm typing it up now, so it won't/shouldn't be long.
pi4t

Post by pi4t »

Noo!! I need to go to bed! Why do you tempt me??

:)
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

pi4t wrote:Noo!! I need to go to bed! Why do you tempt me??

:)
I'm almost done, but I can always put it off for a few hours to encourage you just to wake up earlier?