Better Than Traps

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
DaveYanakov

Better Than Traps

Post by DaveYanakov »

We may not have SMP yet but it's never too early to design infernal engines. Post your favorite designs here.

I'm leading off with a fairly complex thingie, based on the principle of "that which can be detonated through carelessness can be made to detonate deliberately."
Spoiler
Show
It can be made far more compactly but this is an early prototype and room had to be made for a very long fuse.
Better is the enemy of Good
Phantum

Re: Better Than Traps

Post by Phantum »

I fail to see the significance.
*´¨)
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)
(¸.•´ (¸.•` ¤ Phantum
Fallen Sun Gaming Administrator
-It's not about what you've got, it's what you make of what you've got.
Camerinthus

Post by Camerinthus »

It's for the (distant?) future SMP release, traps are a major part of an anarchy/PvP server.
IGN: Camerinthus
Mrchaim

Post by Mrchaim »

One neat one you can do is what appears to be a wooden floor, with the only entry way requiring you to trigger a redstone signal somehow.

Shortly after you get in, the floor explodes into panels due to all the sawblades hidden underneath it, either killing your victim from the sawblades...

Or just lagging him out from the frigging huge amount of panels all over the damn place.

(Note: Said saw-floor is hideously impracitcal to build, requiring at LEAST two gear boxes per saw blade, and will only be able to cover 8 of every 9 blocks)
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

Saw floors would be even better than my planned saw lined pits! Even if SMP never happens it's fun to design ways to destroy interlopers. Or ways to explode your way into their bases...

I think I accidentally developed the siege cauldron....
the_fodder

Post by the_fodder »

Love the saw floor idea!

Why do you say you could only cover 8/9 blocks?

and Impractical is the name of the game... check out my auto sorter it wouldn't be difficult to modify to buzz saw up a 3 or 4 wide room.
Last edited by the_fodder on Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
It's FC mod, he just lets us play it.
Mrchaim

Post by Mrchaim »

the_fodder wrote:Love the saw floor idea!Why do you say you could only cover 8/9 blocks?
Limitation of the mechincal power system. To create an infinitely extenable design, you end up with something that looks like this:

Saw Saw Saw Saw Saw Saw Saw
Saw Gap Saw Gap Saw Gap Saw

It's literally impossible to fill in those gaps, as there's no way to place a gearbox and supply it with mechincal power - the system simply does not have space, and there's no way to get this space no matter how you arrange things, as it'll be blocked by the axels for the other 8 saws.

Stilll, that arrangement results in a floor that's really damn hard to navigate as a single slip drops you onto the saw blades without a way out - and it'd be simple enough to setup dispensers in the wall to... "ensure" that such a slip happens. Or you can just replace the gaps with catci (What i would not give for a "spike" block...)
the_fodder

Post by the_fodder »

I don't see how it would be impossible, you just need more gearboxes. Look at my link, I have 16 gearboxes funneling into a single box to power 9 hoppers. As you can power saws from the side or bottom you 7x7 grid just turned into a 5x5 and I showed that it is possible to get power to 6x2 wouldn't be that hard to extrapolate out from there.
It's FC mod, he just lets us play it.
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

Yep. It wouldn't happen all at once as different saws would have differing gearbox delay but that just adds to the fear when you see the floor start randomly exploding all around you.
Mrchaim

Post by Mrchaim »

Uhm... slightly was to what you're replying to, Dave.

Fodder: You're probably right that for a smaller grid size, you can ensure complete mechnical power to all the saws via powering them from the side. For anything bigger than 7x7 grid however, it does become literally impossible - You'll always be able to power the outer edge from the sides, but the inner areas will require power from the bottom, and as said, my best design for this can only achive 8/9 saws powered - it's simply physically impossible to power the ones in the centre of each 3x3 area.

That said, even in a 7x7 area, you're only missing 9 saws out of 49, so that's still a pretty damn good return on the amount of space taken. And, as i said, you can fill in those missing spots with catci. (Bonus points for setting up some safe spots on top of the catci and a ladder somewhere so that you have to race to the ladder before the floor explodes, then navigate a very lethal parkour course!)
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

It is possible, you just have to be willing to use an extra 3-8 gearboxes per saw and multiple power sources. Not feasible for anarchy SMP but for a single player adventure map built in creative mode?
Mrchaim

Post by Mrchaim »

DaveYanakov wrote:It is possible, you just have to be willing to use an extra 3-8 gearboxes per saw and multiple power sources. Not feasible for anarchy SMP but for a single player adventure map built in creative mode?
If you've got a design that does this, and is infintely extenble in all directions, then i do dehmand you show me (Said in as humorous tone of voice as possible).

Seriously, I'd love to see it, as i was racking my head on how to achieve a full coverage of sawblades. So i'd love to see such a design if you've got one.
angra_mania

Post by angra_mania »

I believe this design is infinitely extendable, plus it's only powered by one power source. All you pretty much do is connect the outer gearboxes to the next inner layer, and keep doing this until you reach the center. You can also create a pit composed of saws on the floor and walls if you want.
Spoiler
Show
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

That is way more compact than what I came up with for a 9x9 floor. Mine was basically extend axles downward to make a sort of upside down pyramid of gearboxes facing outward, then extend every other out using a few sets of three axles+gearbox with the rest pointing down, then just keep extending them til they got clear of each other. Definitely a brute force method so I'm very impressed by that design.
Triskelli

Post by Triskelli »

Let's see if we can come up with a few trap ideas:
  • Block Dispenser Suffocation Chamber
  • Concrete Trap
  • Gearbox Annoyance Machine
  • Detector Block Trigger
Hmm... Might be getting a little expensive when compared to some of the existing traps, but this is something fun to ponder. =]