New Release! (BTW V2.95)

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
blithen

Re: New Release! (BTW V2.95)

Post by blithen »

Some lens beginnings perhaps? :D <3
Add me on MSN Messenger, we can chat about our feelings and coffee and minecraft.
Husbag3

Post by Husbag3 »

I may have misunderstood, but if you need a filament to make the hibachi and you need a cauldron to make a filament, doesn't that make it impossible to progress through the tech tree?
If the minecraft world is infinite, why does the sun still rotate around it?
Urian

Post by Urian »

You only need a hibachi for a stoked fire, regular cauldron cooking can be done with e.g. netherrack (or some wood logs if you're quick enough)
FlowerChild: Ice in deserts is a good idea
Husbag3

Post by Husbag3 »

Urian wrote:You only need a hibachi for a stoked fire, regular cauldron cooking can be done with e.g. netherrack (or some wood logs if you're quick enough)
Thankyou for correcting me :)
If the minecraft world is infinite, why does the sun still rotate around it?
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

Me showing you the new changes of 2.95 :)
MagusUnion

Post by MagusUnion »

FlowerChild wrote:
MagusUnion wrote:Wait, will Redpower lamps work with Hemp or is that also disabled?
Nope. Light Blocks *only*. It was the only way to ensure that the pumpkin thing would stop, and also properly integrates the Light Blocks into the tech-tree as well as gives a progression to the players ability to grow Hemp (above, then below ground).

... really?

*opens custom recipes dictionary.txt...*
I'm not trying to come off as strong as I do. It's hard for me to personally see how I'm affecting others (even in real like).. and it makes me seem more of an ass than I want to be, so I apologize if you find what I say 'a bit rough'...
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

MagusUnion wrote: ... really?

That won't help.
MagusUnion

Post by MagusUnion »

FlowerChild wrote:
MagusUnion wrote: ... really?

That won't help.
It will if I can just circumvent the need to grow the damn plant altogether...
I'm not trying to come off as strong as I do. It's hard for me to personally see how I'm affecting others (even in real like).. and it makes me seem more of an ass than I want to be, so I apologize if you find what I say 'a bit rough'...
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

MagusUnion wrote:-snip-
If you don't want to grow hemp - one of the integral parts of the mod - why are you here?
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

MagusUnion wrote:It will if I can just circumvent the need to grow the damn plant altogether...
Yup, as always, it's nice when the work I put into a new release is received with this kind of bitching.

Time for you to take a little breather from these forums I think.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

I like the new addition. Normally my first hemp farm is above ground, and more than ready to go by the time I've got redstone and similar (Though perhaps somnia's helping with that). After my first hemp farm though, I try and get it all underground anyways. Reducing the material cost for light blocks was a very good move imo.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Stormweaver wrote:...

I like the new addition. Normally my first hemp farm is above ground, and more than ready to go by the time I've got redstone and similar (Though perhaps somnia's helping with that). After my first hemp farm though, I try and get it all underground anyways. Reducing the material cost for light blocks was a very good move imo.
Well, assuming you're sleeping at night, I doubt Somnia is helping much :)

I typically follow the same pattern as well, above ground manual farm first...automated below-ground later.
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

I do the same. 8x5-ish hemp farm gets planted as soon as I can make a hoe and move a little water around. Then I let it grow while I flatten areas for future development/go wolf hunting.

I really do like the padding addition. Not only does it keep up long term hemp demand, it could easily be used to replace scarce leather for armor or wool for beds until the factory farm gets set up.
Better is the enemy of Good
Demonicmonk

Post by Demonicmonk »

FlowerChild wrote:
Gilberreke wrote:
FlowerChild wrote:[quote="Gilberrek

Frankly, I also didn't want to risk the possibility of Notch popping out a 1.9 update in the morning either, as that would have made my work on this version rather pointless ;)

Isnt 1.9 out ? lol just not with the client, is manual install. XD
(Yay better than wolves on new worlds !!)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

DaveYanakov wrote:I do the same. 8x5-ish hemp farm gets planted as soon as I can make a hoe and move a little water around. Then I let it grow while I flatten areas for future development/go wolf hunting.

I really do like the padding addition. Not only does it keep up long term hemp demand, it could easily be used to replace scarce leather for armor or wool for beds until the factory farm gets set up.
Yeah, padded armor is still a planned inclusion, I'm just waiting for some changes coming in 1.9 with Mojang associating extended data with individual items to make that happen.

My plan for it is to make dyes usable on it so that you'll be able to create "custom clothing" on the fly in SMP once that makes it into the mod. Personally, without that, I don't think there's much justification for its inclusion, but I may also do something with it being particularly effective against fall-damage.

My original intention was to make Plate armor by crafting together Padded and the current plate, but I thought that got rather confusing with having an intermediate stage of plate that wouldn't be wearable. Instead, I opted to go with the system in place now, as I think it's a bit more intuitive overall.
Demonicmonk wrote: Isnt 1.9 out ? lol just not with the client, is manual install. XD
(Yay better than wolves on new worlds !!)
1.9 isn't "official" yet (it still requires a manual download and install), plus, once it comes out, I'd have to wait for the whole MCP/Forge update cycle again to port it over. Given it might be weeks before all that happens, and given that I think most of the major changes I have to adapt to are already in 1.8, I thought updating to it now made sense.
logorouge

Post by logorouge »

FlowerChild wrote:Version 2.95 of Better Than Wolves is ready for download!
Updated to 1.8 plus lots of tweaking and some neat additions. Nice! :)
By the time I come back to Minecraft, so many things will have changed in BTW, I'll probably have to start over just to test the newest tech tree progression. Thank you for the continued expansion of your awesome mod, even while suffering from a concussion. Damn, I should have sent you a Get well card! There you go. Better late than never.
Azdoine may have wrote:Well, we are harvesting souls [...] Sure, they get trapped in a piece of metal, but at least they get to see the world.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

FlowerChild wrote:

People sleep at night? what blasphemy is this?

Half the reason I got somnia in the first place was so that I could skip the overly-boring daytime. the other half was so that were I to sleep at night, at least there'd be some mobs trying to kill me after I wake up; nothing like waking to see five or so spiders crowding your skylight ^.^
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

logorouge wrote:
FlowerChild wrote:Version 2.95 of Better Than Wolves is ready for download!
Updated to 1.8 plus lots of tweaking and some neat additions. Nice! :)
By the time I come back to Minecraft, so many things will have changed in BTW, I'll probably have to start over just to test the newest tech tree progression. Thank you for the continued expansion of your awesome mod, even while suffering from a concussion. Damn, I should have sent you a Get well card! There you go. Better late than never.
Thanks Logo, and good to see you're still around man :)

The changes in this release are really minor though. It's been a rough past couple of weeks, but hopefully I can start getting back to the more interesting side of developing the mod today.
TheGuy

Post by TheGuy »

Wiki updated with the new recipes.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

I'd like to point out that I love the update as always, might not have come across in my previous post :)

Was just asking some follow up questions to understand it all better
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Phantum

Post by Phantum »

FlowerChild wrote:

I typically follow the same pattern as well, above ground manual farm first...automated below-ground later.

So above ground hemp farms with a glass roof(no light blocks) is still viable correct?

Also, I haven't said this as of yet, as I'm fairly new to these forums, but I appreciate what you've done here with this mod. I had been planning to start modding when notch released his api with the intentions of doing some of what you've already done (albeit differently) :/ but as of late I've been working 72 hours a week, so it's nice to enjoy a path of minecraft that really makes the game that much more substantial. VMC just isn't worth it imho.
Last edited by Phantum on Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*´¨)
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)
(¸.•´ (¸.•` ¤ Phantum
Fallen Sun Gaming Administrator
-It's not about what you've got, it's what you make of what you've got.
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

phantum wrote:So above ground hemp farms with a glass roof(no light blocks) is still viable correct?
Yes indeedy!
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
KriiEiter

Post by KriiEiter »

I guess I'm the only one that uses lightblocks above ground with a building built around it then? I used to build solely underground, but then you can't enjoy the outside of your buildings.

Plus I always feel like I can't do as much underground.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Gilberreke wrote:I'd like to point out that I love the update as always, might not have come across in my previous post :)

Don't worry about it man.

Questions and polite criticism are always fine. I just find it rather tiresome when the first words out of someone's mouth when I release new updates are semi-hostile complaints. It's extremely demotivating when that's the reaction I get out of putting work into the mod, so I've decided to be less tolerant of it.

It wasn't what you were doing at all, so please don't confuse my reaction to others as being associated with you just because you were talking about similar issues.

For the sake of my enjoyment of making this mod, I've decided to make an effort to take it much easier in general and not get so bent out of shape about stuff. Part of that is adjusting my own attitude, and part of that is just not putting up with crap I don't like instead of getting into drawn-out confrontations about it :)
Phantum

Post by Phantum »

FlowerChild wrote:
Gilberreke wrote:I'd like to point out that I love the update as always, might not have come across in my previous post :)

Don't worry about it man.

Questions and polite criticism are always fine. I just find it rather tiresome when the first words out of someone's mouth when I release new updates are semi-hostile complaints. It's extremely demotivating when that's the reaction I get out of putting work into the mod, so I've decided to be less tolerant of it.

It wasn't what you were doing at all, so please don't confuse my reaction to others as being associated with you just because you were talking about similar issues.

For the sake of my enjoyment of making this mod, I've decided to make an effort to take it much easier in general and not get so bent out of shape about stuff. Part of that is adjusting my own attitude, and part of that is just not putting up with crap I don't like instead of getting into drawn-out confrontations about it :)

Heh, I ran an aion private server and did a lot of the coding for the software now in use back in the day, and thus understand what that's like... to be honest, just ban the haters, and leave it at that. If you allow them to remain and lurk they'll never change, and they'll just burn you out. Haters are a poison to society. They're the ones that expect to get a $20/hour job right out of highschool where they don't have to work for it. :P

Heh, you should try holding interviews for a construction company, or try working as a foreman. It's awful D:
*´¨)
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)
(¸.•´ (¸.•` ¤ Phantum
Fallen Sun Gaming Administrator
-It's not about what you've got, it's what you make of what you've got.