New Release! (BTW V2.95)

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

New Release! (BTW V2.95)

Post by FlowerChild »

Version 2.95 of Better Than Wolves is ready for download!

Download Link

This version contains the following changes:

-Updated to version 1.81 of Minecraft. Note that a few items in the mod still need to be adjusted to work with the new systems (like the Composite bow, and proper Hopper filtration of the new items), but everything should be functional.

-Added Padding as an item (Fabric + feather).

-Added Filament as an item (glowstone dust + redstone dust in Cauldron).

-Added recipes to convert Fabric and Rope back into Hemp Fibers for storage purposes.

-Changed the recipe for the Armor Plate to require padding (placed right below the Steel).

-Changed the recipe for the Light Block to use a Filament instead of glowstone dust, and glass panes instead of glass blocks.

-Changed the recipe for the Hibachi to use a Filament instead of glowstone dust.

-Changed Hemp to ONLY grow under Light Blocks if they are underground. No more growing it under pumpkins :)

-Changed the Crucible over to use the same generic recipe system I introduced for the Cauldron in 2.93. As before, please keep a close eye on the Crucible and what it is outputting, and please let me know of any problems, as this was a rather large refactor of the way the code for it works and errors could have easily been made.

-Changed the rail to iron conversion in the Crucible to 8 to 3 instead of 16 to 6. Please forgive my lowest common denominator fail :)

-Fixed problem with the Battle Axe only returning 3 units of Steel when melted down in a Crucible, rather than 5.

-Fixed problem where Planters that didn't contain soil could sprout flowers.

-Removed recipe to convert two Hemp Fibers into string. Sorry guys, I didn't like it as it blurred the lines between what was spider silk, and what was Hemp within the game, and opened up a whole can of worms design-wise with regards to what could be done with one and not the other. Besides, there's now a peaceful source of string with webs.

Enjoy! :)
Paul the Carrot

Re: New Release! (BTW V2.95)

Post by Paul the Carrot »

Yes!!! I love you! New stuff to waste my life with!
Mrchaim

Post by Mrchaim »

I am now weeping at all the time i spent pre-building my hemp farm... with pumpkins.

You fiend! I suppose that'll teach me to think ahead.

A query - is there any chance of glowstone being made to function for the hemp, given the effort to gather that, or is the intent you _have_ to design your hemp farms to include powered lighting now? No complaints if that's the case, i just want to find out exactly what the deal is. (And i can ceartinly see the argument that a, you want light blocks to be part of the mod, and b, Glowstone can actually be suprsingly easily harvested).

Other than that: Thank you man for contiuning to keep this mod up to date, and to contiune to iterate on things. it's really appreciated.
Thalmane

Post by Thalmane »

Yay! Now to find an awesome seed to start my new game on.
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

And 'lo did Morvy read out the release notes. And the server members did rejoice. ;)
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
MagusUnion

Post by MagusUnion »

Wait, will Redpower lamps work with Hemp or is that also disabled?
I'm not trying to come off as strong as I do. It's hard for me to personally see how I'm affecting others (even in real like).. and it makes me seem more of an ass than I want to be, so I apologize if you find what I say 'a bit rough'...
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

MagusUnion wrote:Wait, will Redpower lamps work with Hemp or is that also disabled?
I hope they will, that'd be bad if not :/
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

MagusUnion wrote:Wait, will Redpower lamps work with Hemp or is that also disabled?
Nope. Light Blocks *only*. It was the only way to ensure that the pumpkin thing would stop, and also properly integrates the Light Blocks into the tech-tree as well as gives a progression to the players ability to grow Hemp (above, then below ground).
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

FlowerChild wrote:
Nope.
Nope it doesn't work with hemp or nope, it's not disabled?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Gilberreke wrote: Nope it doesn't work with hemp or nope, it's not disabled?
As I said in my edit above, *only* Light Blocks.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

FlowerChild wrote:
That's a bit of a bummer, but I see no way to fix it, unless you allow all light sources except pumpkins and lightstone :/

I understand the decision though, as it integrates the light stone into the tech tree.

Can't wait until you figure out a way to fit in the BD, magic mossy just seems a little... random
Urian

Post by Urian »

Thanks for the update! How is it determined if the hemp is above or under ground? Would it be possible to have glowstone blocks also being able to grow hemp? That way you'd need to wait for nether access before being able to move your hemp farms underground but compact farms are still possible.
FlowerChild: Ice in deserts is a good idea
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Gilberreke wrote:
FlowerChild wrote:
That's a bit of a bummer, but I see no way to fix it, unless you allow all light sources except pumpkins and lightstone :/

I understand the decision though, as it integrates the light stone into the tech tree.

Can't wait until you figure out a way to fit in the BD, magic mossy just seems a little... random
Yeah, sorry man, but I can only balance relative to this mod and cross-functionality is a secondary concern. Just think of it as only the Light Blocks putting out the correct amount of UV :)

The BD and DB are next to be properly integrated into the tech-tree. The mossy cobble made more sense when it was limited to growing around monster spawners, but given that it now also appears in other areas...not so much. I actually wanted to get that aspect into this release, but I started getting tired, had other obligations tonight, and wanted to get the 1.8 update out as I had alluded to earlier today.

Frankly, I also didn't want to risk the possibility of Notch popping out a 1.9 update in the morning either, as that would have made my work on this version rather pointless ;)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Urian wrote:Thanks for the update! How is it determined if the hemp is above or under ground? Would it be possible to have glowstone blocks also being able to grow hemp? That way you'd need to wait for nether access before being able to move your hemp farms underground but compact farms are still possible.
No, it's going to be Light Block only. I built a 2 to 1 conversion ratio between Light Stone Dust to Filaments in to help ease any pain involved, but that's as far as I'm willing to go.

Part of the reason I do stuff like this is to give specific uses to mod-blocks to encourage new players to experiment with different aspects of the mod and get habituated to using them. You can almost think of it as an extended tutorial that goes on throughout the game. Obviously, opening this up to other light-sources spoils that effect.
Thalmane

Post by Thalmane »

So now we are growing our hemp underground... Hidden from the public and those pesky helicopters with their special equipment for finding hemp.. If I got a prescription from the local village priest could I grow it outside again?
Last edited by Thalmane on Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Urian

Post by Urian »

Alright, fair enough :) I think I've already figured out a way to keep my hemp farm design pretty much intact, keeping it compact is the next step after automation :p
FlowerChild: Ice in deserts is a good idea
KriiEiter

Post by KriiEiter »

I've only ever used Light Blocks to grow hemp, but then again that's probably because Jack O' Lanterns are so god-awful ugly. Orange is easily my least favorite color.

I can't wait to see how you're going to implement the BD into the tech tree, I'm both excited and frightened.
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

I actually really like the underground hemp 'nerf'. The padding and filaments are a nice touch as well. If they ever see time in an update maybe add a hemp fiber to the recipe to give the dusts something to adhere to while cooking in the cauldron now that there's no worry about two fibers turning into string.
Better is the enemy of Good
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

DaveYanakov wrote:I actually really like the underground hemp 'nerf'. The padding and filaments are a nice touch as well. If they ever see time in an update maybe add a hemp fiber to the recipe to give the dusts something to adhere to while cooking in the cauldron now that there's no worry about two fibers turning into string.
Hehe...that's actually not a bad idea. Thanks :)

Just a couple of minor tweaks to the tech-tree though with the padding and filaments. The main purpose of the release was to get the mod upgraded to 1.8.
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

<3
Didn't take the time to read the changelog, I'll do that tonight when I'll be back from work.
Anyways, thanks man, virtual beer for you (and soon a real one ?) :)
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

Of course, a release when i have lots of things to do today, your timing is impeccable. Filament, huh, something tells me there will be more uses for that soon. Can wait til i can test it out.:-)
Devalish

Post by Devalish »

nice rebalance for the pumpkins, as they weren't so rare any more.
It would be to easy to go underground with it is my guess, or am I
wrong in my thinking, and is / are there more reasons behind it?

*edit: typo's !
Any post or reply from me is based on the knowledge and thought patterns relative to my mind; they are subjective.
I don't deal in absolutes as I believe in learning. My every action is a result of calculation and choice.
Ferrus.Manus

Post by Ferrus.Manus »

Since there's redstone in the filament already you could replace redstone dust in the recipe with 4th glass pane for nice symmetrical recipe.
But anyway thanks for update, it's nice to see the original block being integrated into the mod proper. I'm eagerly waiting to see how you will integrate BD and DB.
Deepsniper

Post by Deepsniper »

FC I kinda hate you right now as I just got into the office and saw this meaning I cant play 1.8 with BTW... :(
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

I'm liking the sound of the changes - I did always find glass to be the biggest bottleneck in light block production....but that was the reason I was going to cultivate a huge pumpkin farm. curses.

As a heads up, the top of te readme states that this is a mod for 1.7.3; now would be an awkward moment for people to actually use it for the installation instructions.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.