A little 1.8 News

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

A little 1.8 News

Post by FlowerChild »

Well, I spent the day today working on updating the mod to 1.81, and so far so good.

Just a brief status update:

-The mod is working, for the most part, under 1.81 now. Just getting it to this point was a fair pain in the ass.

-Water Wheels aren't displaying for some odd reason. Particularly odd, because Wind Mills are displaying properly (odd considering they use similar code). I'm pretty tired right now, so I'll take care of that tomorrow.

-There's 101 small things I need to adjust to properly fit 1.8. My current plan is to release soon as it's stable and working properly, then adjust them with time. This includes stuff like food, making the composite bow use the same system as the vanilla bow for drawing it back, adjusting armor to the new system, etc.

-The fog in my underground lair is camel-sodomozingly annoying.

Anyways, just thought I'd give y'all some news on it, as I know it's been a long wait.
Mrchaim

Re: A little 1.8 News

Post by Mrchaim »

Cool to hear! I'll admit to a certain gnawing "I wonder when i'll be able to start converting this base to a Better Than base" feeling.

Outta of curioisty, i've heard several mod makers complaining about the transition to 1.81 - Is there are particular set of reasons for that, or what's the deal? (if you do not mind me asking, that is)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Well, so far from what I've seen, there's just a lot of little "gotchas" in the conversion. Methods have changed subtly and that kind of thing.

Although honestly, I think that most of the annoyance so far has resulted from MCP changing the names of various functions. I really wish they were a bit more cautious about doing that as it causes a lot of chaos when updating mods.

The redesign and rebalance issues are probably the most problematic, which might be why others are complaining. As I said though, I'm probably going to tackle those a bit at a time over the next few releases so that I can get this thing into your hands ASAP. You'll still get old-style healing from donuts and such, but I figure that's an acceptable compromise at present.
blithen

Post by blithen »

FlowerChild wrote:camel-sodomozingly annoying.
I fucking lost it.
Add me on MSN Messenger, we can chat about our feelings and coffee and minecraft.
Brethern

Post by Brethern »

What happened to the 1.7 update?

Also optifine removes the fog and according to the author forge is on the to do list.
blithen wrote:
FlowerChild wrote:camel-sodomozingly annoying.
I fucking lost it.
Not going to comment I think by now we all know my opinion on the matter.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Brethern wrote:What happened to the 1.7 update?
I was working on it, and some of what I had planned will likely make it into this one. I decided to go with updating to 1.8 when the Forge got updated, and since it seems uncertain as to when 1.9 will actually release.

I've also been having a slow past couple of weeks, due to what I'm now realizing was probably a concussion I got during my vacation.

Don't ask...it's a looooong story :)

Oh, and btw, I just fixed the problem with the water wheels not rendering, so that's one less thing to worry about ;)
knight2109

Post by knight2109 »

FlowerChild wrote:"You'll still get old-style healing from donuts and such, but I figure that's an acceptable compromise at present.
i consider this a good thing i mean i felt that there should be at least a few things that heal strait up health maybe harder to get then normal food but ive heard the best that you can get is a gold apple increases rate of regen.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

The doughnuts thing seems fine imo; make a nice stand-in for healing potions at least...they are made in a cauldron afterall.

I'm looking forward to this, if just for having all the 2.94 stuff in the new terrain.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Sorry, I already fixed the donuts to work using the new system. Turns out I wasn't as tired as I thought :)

The one I'm not looking forward to right now is the Composite Bow. That should be...interesting.
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

FlowerChild wrote: I've also been having a slow past couple of weeks, due to what I'm now realizing was probably a concussion I got during my vacation.

Ok, I won't ask. At the same time I will shake my finger at you, and tell you to take care of yourself!

/mom-ish rant off
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
MathWizz

Post by MathWizz »

Awwww, Just as I got a descent ways into my SMP port. :P Ah well. It should be easier to port because I now know how to fix many of the bugs. I'm looking forward to the update!
KriiEiter

Post by KriiEiter »

I've been keeping busy with that Skyblock challenge map, but I've been itching to play some BTW again. As always keep up the great work FC, it's greatly appreciated.
Tekei

Post by Tekei »

This is awesome! Made me feel just that extra little bit better than usual! Wohoooo!
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

so i will have a reason to update to 1.8 after all
Alexia

Post by Alexia »

Thanks FC.

Hopefully 1.8 to 1.9 won't be much of a hassle as 1.7 to 1.8 was, they appear very similar.
Mrchaim

Post by Mrchaim »

FlowerChild wrote:Sorry, I already fixed the donuts to work using the new system. Turns out I wasn't as tired as I thought :)

The one I'm not looking forward to right now is the Composite Bow. That should be...interesting.

I'll definitely be very curious to see how you solve that, i have to admit, given how damned powerful the default minecraft bow is currently. Which, i must admit, having done archery is really irking me. You can pull back an arrow far faster than how steve does it - In fact you want to, make it a nice smooth motion - Aiming will slow you down, but not THAT much.

Converse, it's to all intents and purposes impossible to shoot in a melee - someone flailing in your face is going to render it actively impossible to draw the bowstring back, let alone loose the arrow. There's good reason you see people use arrows as a makeshift melee stabbing tool in fiction - it's basically a tiny spear, and it's going to be way more effective than your bow (Which you could still use as a very awkward bludgeoning weapon, but that'd probably end up cracking or otherwise doing something terrible to it. Not a good plan)

Then again, something or someone that's been hit by an arrow does not normally shrug it off at all, unless you've got some nice armor - and even then, the english and their longbows would like to talk. (As an aside, standing next to someone firing a longbow is somewhat worrying- there's a serious, auible difference in the sound of their arrows going through the air. That and quite a bit of time waiting for them to dig the arrows out of the target).
Chuffy

Post by Chuffy »

Superb news, if theres one thing I think Ive learnt over the last few weeks, Minecraft isnt worth playing without BTW
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

Chuffy wrote:Superb news, if theres one thing I think Ive learnt over the last few weeks, Minecraft isnt worth playing without BTW
After the whole "Ooh pretty sparkly update" effect wore off, I felt the same way.
Quesoman

Post by Quesoman »

Good, it will give me enough time to restructure my world to fit the new BTW building.

On a side note: Flowerchild, how many block id's are we left with after installing your mod over 1.8?
Cultures are born and die, but the cheese is immortal.

-A very wise man
razar51

Post by razar51 »

FlowerChild wrote:Sorry, I already fixed the donuts to work using the new system. Turns out I wasn't as tired as I thought :)

Well for 1.9 you could make it so Enderman can't dodge broadhead arrows like they do regular arrows. Also, since enderman have been given a huge health buff (4 hits with diamond sword to kill), the composite bow would then have more of a concrete use. (enderman killer)

As for the 1.8 update, im not sure what to do about the composite bow, longer shooting distance?.
I'll have to get that enderman nerf mod as well when BTW gets updated to protect my redstone circuitry.
Glox

Post by Glox »

Mrchaim wrote: given how damned powerful the default minecraft bow is currently.
Wasn't it way more powerful before? Now you have to wait to pull back the arrows, before you could just spam left mouse button to fire 50 arrows in 1 second. Bows are less powerfull, individual arrows are indeed way more powerfull. (50 arrows in 1 sec to kill a mob before vs. 1 - 2 arrows now in a few seconds now)
razar51 wrote: Well for 1.9 you could make it so Enderman can't dodge broadhead arrows like they do regular arrows. Also, since enderman have been given a huge health buff (4 hits with diamond sword to kill), the composite bow would then have more of a concrete use. (enderman killer)
I'd stay away from anything to do with endermen for now. Seems like alot has changed between 1.8 and 1.9, and i don't think it's over yet seeing as how they cant go by 3 seconds without teleporting atm.
If they do stay like they are now then i definetely support composite bows as endermen killers.
MagusUnion

Post by MagusUnion »

Good to know... I'm going to go ahead and do my feature of 1.8 MCForge ID Resolver, and add this mod after this is released via that function. Been getting requests for a 'Let's Play' Series, so I won't feel too restricted now to get started on it (since you are the only damn mod maker that doesn't make new world generation dependent items into minecraft anyway, lol)...
I'm not trying to come off as strong as I do. It's hard for me to personally see how I'm affecting others (even in real like).. and it makes me seem more of an ass than I want to be, so I apologize if you find what I say 'a bit rough'...
diegokilla

Post by diegokilla »

FlowerChild wrote:
Brethern wrote:What happened to the 1.7 update?
I was working on it, and some of what I had planned will likely make it into this one. I decided to go with updating to 1.8 when the Forge got updated, and since it seems uncertain as to when 1.9 will actually release.

I've also been having a slow past couple of weeks, due to what I'm now realizing was probably a concussion I got during my vacation.

Oh, and btw, I just fixed the problem with the water wheels not rendering, so that's one less thing to worry about ;)
So does this mean new BTW content for the 1.8.1 release?
Looking forward to this release :D
KriiEiter

Post by KriiEiter »

diegokilla wrote:
So does this mean new BTW content for the 1.8.1 release?
Do I dare hope for the new source of blue dye?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

diegokilla wrote:So does this mean new BTW content for the 1.8.1 release?
Maybe, we'll see about that. It's been a VERY slow past couple of weeks for me with regards to the mod with only getting in a couple of minor additions due to the head-injury I mentioned. I've been having a very hard time concentrating and have been getting headaches if I stare at text for very long, so as you can imagine, that made it rather difficult to code.

Yesterday seemed to be a bit of a turning point for me though as I got quite a lot of work done on the conversion over to 1.8, so it seems like I'm recovering nicely.

My plan at present is to try and get as much stuff converted to 1.8 as possible today, and wrap up some small features with whatever time I have left, then *try* to release a version tonight. No promises of course, but I think that's an attainable goal.