Flippers

If you want to get banned, this is the place to post.
Thalmane

Flippers

Post by Thalmane »

With the new ocean biomes water can now be generated much much deeper then befor. The oceans floors are now so deep in fact that once you hit bottom you only have a few seconds to look around befor you have to come back up. That doesn't really give someone much time to try and do anything down there. So why not add flippers and increase the players water movement speed to what it would be on dry land? The player would be restricted to the same time limit under water but with the flippers equipped he could cover a slightly greater distance. Sadly I cannot think of any other use for a pair of flippers unless FC wants to add a fish submarine that's propelled underwater with flippers 0.o
Stormweaver

Re: Flippers

Post by Stormweaver »

Huh, a green title. Maybe I should attempt to be nicer for this suggestion?

I completely get where you're coming from. In the meantime:
- What reason does the player have for going so far underwater?
- Why should this kind of addition be added specifically to BTW?
- What part of BTW does this suggestion tie into?

Once those three questions can actually be answered (inb4 'its be cool to underwaters') then there might be good reason. For now, it's just suggesting an item to make a purely vMC aspect more convenient for little/no justification.

I guess I failed.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
Thalmane

Post by Thalmane »

Sadly there is nothing in game that someone would want to go that far below, but with the deep oceans there are those who will want to build bases inside of them. Now considering future content. The way notch randomly moves from one aspect of the game to the next he will more than likely add something other than squid to the watery biomes. Also looking at the blue dye thread FC started, if he so chose to go with the oyster idea this would obviously help with farming those little guys.

As for why this mod. Well I've been following this mod befor the cauldron, back then FCs focus was to try and add more uses for the near useless. Assuming FC hasn't changed such things eventually he will add something to make the oceans useful. flippers would be a natural thing to add in the game if deep water content is added. I decided to suggest them now instead of waiting for the content( that I am almost 100% sure will be added, eventually) to be added because it only consumes an item id. We've conquered wood, automation, the nether, and currently starting to conquer steel. Is a small boon to water movement really that odd at this point in the tech level of the mod?

Cured leather is the resource that would be used for the webbing naturally.

You don't have to treat me special just because I'm a greeny :p a tongue lashing is the least of my worries. I simply saw a completely forgotten aspect of the game and came up with what I feel to be a reasonable item that might get more players using the sea.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Given mojangs....development so far, I wouldn't be sure that notch'll add anything to oceans - even if he did, he'd have the same chance again at adding something to facilitate it, kinda like this topic suggests.

Till then though, we have the heavily underrated boats, and upcoming potions - I believe one of the known effects is water breathing. Not to mention mods dedicated to things like swimming or diving...etc etc etc. I'd love to dive too, I just can't see why BTW would be the right place for it.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Hmmmm...I have to say, I do like the idea of deep-sea diving and that kind of thing.

I think I'd lean more towards something along these lines however:

http://www.divingheritage.com/waybackkern.htm

Definitely food for thought :)
Thalmane

Post by Thalmane »

Hehe that's why I think of ideas that have nothing to do with the tech level ;) I figure you've just about got that figured out already so I try and come up with things that aren't so obviously thought of. Originally I was going to suggest something like in the link but I felt it would be a little too powerful for current usage. So instead i thought flippers. They would make working underwater easier but in no way could they make it an easy endeavor.
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

We can also consider potions, coming in 1.9.
There's some effect that will increase player movement.

But the easiest thing to do for breathing underground will always be a door/reed that you place on the bottom on the ocean.
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

About uses specific with BTW... I was reading the SMP thread and something comes to mind... Well, since water is not opaque, making a base hidden just under the ocean might be interesting and allow for windmills to work. A diving dress would be really cool... Also could give another interesting use for pumps (I know, another thread, but how could I mention it any other way?) for pumping air to the vest, and that could create some interesting gameplay possibilities... Like, just an example, using the vest to create the frame for an underground base, then using the very same pump to suck the water from inside the room.
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
The great randomo

Post by The great randomo »

With. The addition of potions in 1.9 or 1.10, there will be a few that grant you the ability to breathe underwater for a certain period of time. If flippers and other underwater apparatus to make you move faster then deep sea diving will certainly be a possibility.
Notch has said that he will be adding more underwater features to the game, so unless notch adds them himself, they should be in this mod.
Chris Martin wrote:The morning is for sleeping.
Rugaard

Post by Rugaard »

I liking this idea, I tend to like seeds that dump you on a small island in the middle of the ocean and I often go to the sea floor when I see a ravine or some sort of opening, also its the only place I can get clay if none spawned on the islands
BigShinyToys

Post by BigShinyToys »

First off clay mining under water would be very cool . and best i can tell the new potions will extend the users breath hold time . but given the bellows are in BTW it might be used to pump ait to the player or fill up a tank of some kind also Maybe weights made form iron or steal could make the player sink faster . A diving system would be very cool.

But I have to admit its uses are limited to

- Clay mining
- island building
- Hidden bases
( IF ported to SMP ) sneak attacks form the water.
Thalmane

Post by Thalmane »

Sadly as Battosay mentioned; while this and other ideas maybe cool and worth considering for the mod it's best to wait until the alchemy and enchantment system comes out befor thinking of something like this.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Thalmane wrote:Hehe that's why I think of ideas that have nothing to do with the tech level ;) I figure you've just about got that figured out already so I try and come up with things that aren't so obviously thought of. Originally I was going to suggest something like in the link but I felt it would be a little too powerful for current usage. So instead i thought flippers. They would make working underwater easier but in no way could they make it an easy endeavor.
Yeah, but the diving suit is actually something I can aim the design towards in the long term. Say if I have other uses for a machine that creates compressed air or what have you, it's the kind of thing where I can fit it into the tech tree with a bunch of other stuff. It's also just frigging cool :)

The above poster is right though in that it's probably best to wait and see what the potion system produces, as the above may be entirely extraneous. This isn't something I'd pop into the mod anytime soon regardless.

Anyways, I just kinda like the idea based on the possibilities it opens up for the future of the mod.
Urian

Post by Urian »

Compressed air in the future? Hmm, pneumatic tubes for item transport would be nice when Steve gets there :)
FlowerChild: Ice in deserts is a good idea
Zhil

Post by Zhil »

I'd like to point out that this would work really well with the crustacean mod mentioned earlier.

Perhaps the lower you go to harvest a crustacean, the more chance it drops a pearl. That way we can go pearl diving. Combine the white pearl with an ender pearl for teleportation like devices.

Just throwing some of the better suggestions of the blue dye thread into this.
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx