Andelllmere's BTW Utopia Journal

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Andellmere

Andelllmere's BTW Utopia Journal

Post by Andellmere »

Due to the upswing I've noticed in journals on people's BTW experiences(And one amazing bit of work by Adjudicator, which you should check out if you haven't rather than reading my ramblings) and my brain telling me that someone somewhere will actually give a damn, I decided to try my hand at it. While trying to do the Utopia challenge. On my very first legitimate BTW playthrough. Yeah... You can run screaming now.

------------------------------------

Day 1-Boxing Trees and Mass-Murdering Sheep!

First thoughts on loading up my new world? 'There is grass everywhere! Hemp here I come!' So, with a one-two punch that'd do Mr. T proud I knock out a tree and use it's poor unsuspecting corpse to further my own ends. In other words, I got my workbench built, ASAP.

Next was choosing a location for housing. Seeing as I spawned near an ocean (It's a 1.7 ocean so it's only 4-5 blocks deep as far as I can see.) I built that beach house I've always wanted. Unfortunately, it was made with sand walls,a dirt roof(Thank you Adjudcator for twigging that little thought off!)and a wood door stuck in one side so it was ugly as sin. Fortunately, I forgot to screenshot it so you won't have to burn your eyeballs after comparing it to the likes of Battosay. Doubly fortunate, I cleared my way to a smooth stone wall while digging, so with a quick jaunt up the nearby hill, I gathered enough wood to craft a wood pickaxe and hoe. Clearing a few of those wonderfully pesky long grass blocks nets me 3 hemp seeds and 10 standard seeds. Grabbing a small stack of dirt blocks and spreading them out on the shore line, I till them and plant the hemp first and stick wheat wherever I can fit it. Farming reminds me that I'm going to want reeds at some point(For... something. What do I need them for again?) so, I finally crank my render distance to the 'Far' setting and go snatch the three reed plants from not so far away. Some more dirt blocks later(I discovered that reeds don't grow on sand until 1.8. Curse my lack of Minecraftian farming experience!) I have a neat little row of reeds near my neat little row of hemp/wheat. I'm actually beginning to feel like a farmer!

Deciding that I've lived out all the Harvest Moon-esque gameplay I can get right now, I go back to the aforementioned smoothstone wall and begin digging down in my usual staircase pattern. And, in an unusual stroke of luck, I hit ores without fumbling around in the dark for 4 days! Unfortunately, it's iron ore. And I have no coal. Cursing the whole 30 second trip back to sand hut, I discover that the sun is setting and I'm no closer to torches than before. A quick scan of the area shows a small group of sheep hanging out by the ocean and messing about in the surf. I grab my stone sword and spend until just as the sun sinks below the horizon pretending to be a mass murderer. Nets me 3 blocks of wool that I use to craft a bed in the dark and then take a nap. Maybe I'll remember what I wanted the reeds for in the morning.

---------------------------

So, there's my first day in BTW Minecraft. I'd do Day two as well, but I want to see if this writing style is okay with those of you who'll actually read this. Also, if you have any tips, tricks, or comments about helping a poor lost guy with finding his way(Mainly to clay!), it'd be much appreciated.

No screenshots, unfortunately, as I was mid-Day 3 when I finally caved to my subconscious' demands and didn't start writing until Night of Day 3, but Day 2 will bring stuff I can showcase/be berated for.
Need a combination door? I've got one you can use.
Tragert

Re: Andelllmere's BTW Utopia Journal

Post by Tragert »

Good story glad there is another Journal that is being very well written try adding fantasy like the other one
A man always has two reasons for doing anything: a good reason and the real reason. >:)
Andellmere

Re: Andelllmere's BTW Utopia Journal

Post by Andellmere »

Tragert wrote:Good story glad there is another Journal that is being very well written try adding fantasy like the other one
As much as I'd love to do so, I don't have the writing skills just yet. This is half-journal for actual gameplay and half-plea for help when I get completely stuck.
After getting a good grasp on BTW and some of the less instant-gratification gameplay for Minecraft all the way up to the endgame(read: Diamond gear and final tier of BTW). I'll probably try to write one like that. Hope to do even half as well as that one.
Need a combination door? I've got one you can use.