Saw (handheld tool)

If you want to get banned, this is the place to post.
The great randomo

Saw (handheld tool)

Post by The great randomo »

Ok, so I'm brand new to this forum (my first post) so don't come down hard on me for anything I get wrong.

My idea is a saw tool, not an automated one that is powered by mechanical power, but a new set of craftable tools that do exactly the same job as an automated one. Like an axe, different grades of axe ( possibly wood to diamond) cut at different speeds. However, unlike an axe, instead of wood blocks that it chops dropping 1 wood, they drop 4 planks. If it chops a plank, then two panels are dropped, etc etc etc.

There are advantages and disadvantages of using a manual saw compared to using an automatic one: manual has durability, which means it consumes more resources.
Auto has no durability which means it lasts forever
Mannual doesent require any other equipment
Auto requires power
Manual is portable
Auto is fixed to the ground

Let me know what you think of my idea

Also, am I allowed to post another idea straight after or do I have to wait?
Deepsniper

Re: Saw (handheld tool)

Post by Deepsniper »

I like the idea but that kinda destroys a part of the tech tree if you can get it right away.
The great randomo

Deepsniper wrote:I like the idea but that kinda destroys a part of the tech tree if you can get it right away.
I hadn't thought of that. I guess the solution is making a weaker one earlier and an indestructible one later on.
Chris Martin wrote:The morning is for sleeping.
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

Mhhh... you're proposing the handsaw from Redpower aren't you ?
As D. said, it completely ruins the tech tree. So, nope.
The great randomo wrote:I hadn't thought of that. I guess the solution is making a weaker one earlier and an indestructible one later on.
Doesn't fix the problem.
The great randomo

[quote="Battosay"]Mhhh... you're proposing the handsaw from Redpower aren't you ?
As D. said, it completely ruins the tech tree. So, nope.

I haven't heard of the handsaw. Maybe it could be craftable with iron and onwards, so it isnt instantly obtainable?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

The great randomo wrote: I haven't heard of the handsaw. Maybe it could be craftable with iron and onwards, so it isnt instantly obtainable?
It's not a matter of it being instantly obtainable. The Panels, Mouldings, and Corners are an integral part of the BTW tech-tree as they limit the progress of what you can make at various points.

Iron is a resource that is available at pretty much any time. Sorry man, but I don't really see any point to this suggestion other than to make things easier and available sooner. That's really not what this mod is about.

Thread locked.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Ok, it just occurred to me that if this were done with Steel instead of iron, it would actually be a viable option without breaking the tech tree. I still don't see the point to it, but will reopen the discussion in case someone else does :)
The great randomo

The way I see it, is as a way to create panels on the go, rather than having to return to your saw every time one is required.

Thanks for commenting on my first post, by the way. :)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

The great randomo wrote:The way I see it, is as a way to create panels on the go, rather than having to return to your saw every time one is required.

Thanks for commenting on my first post, by the way. :)
No prob :)

True, I see what you're saying about it being "on the go", but I'm not sure if Panels etc. are something that you really need to do that with.

Like, aren't they usually used in large building projects where setting up your workbench/Saw area is kinda part of the fun? Either that or they're also used in recipes for mechanical contraptions, where you'd generally already have a source of mech-power on-hand.

I always kinda get a kick out of setting up my little "home improvement" areas :)
The great randomo

FlowerChild wrote:at randomo"]

True, I see what you're saying about it being "on the go", but I'm not sure if Panels etc. are something that you really need to do that with.

Like, aren't they usually used in large building projects where setting up your workbench/Saw area is kinda part of the fun? Either that or they're also used in recipes for mechanical contraptions, where you'd generally already have a source of mech-power on-hand.

:)
Saws are pretty hard to set up, requiring power and all that. These are much easier to use. Say you are building something including panels etc a long way from your house and your saw. These save you from having to go all the way back, chop them up, come back and then place them, and allows you to do it much faster.
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

Maybe if it took a longer time to cut wood into panels? The regular saw could be a much faster alternative, so you would still certainly want to set up a workshop for larger building projects, but for smaller things, it would serve its purpose as portable, and eventually gets the job done. Also, if made using moulding, it could still use iron in the recipe without ruining the tech tree
Zhil

Post by Zhil »

I do agree that steel handsaws would be nice to have
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

i disagree, because once you make one handsaw, why would you need to ever use the saw again?
Zhil

Post by Zhil »

walker_boh_65 wrote:i disagree, because once you make one handsaw, why would you need to ever use the saw again?
For automation
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

Gilberreke wrote:
walker_boh_65 wrote:i disagree, because once you make one handsaw, why would you need to ever use the saw again?
For automation
i automate things for ease, so personally i would never need to automate the saw if i could just get panels and molding and what have you, where ever i am. I dont think anything is easier then that.

Plus it wouldnt need mechanical power. I think it would be far to OP to be put in the mod.
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

After all, it would only be an item. No need for block ID.
So, maybe. Why not.
But it would have to
1) use steel and an anvil
2) have a very low durability
3) not be reyclable in a crucible
4) be freakin' long to cut stuff (~obsidian ?)

Can be debated, yeah :)
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

Gilberreke wrote:
For automation
Not for automation, for... well, almost everything, still. The way i would see it being implemented is taking very long to cut wood into panels. So long that if you're cutting more than a few wood blocks, your better off setting up a saw
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

BinoAl wrote:
Gilberreke wrote:
For automation
Not for automation, for... well, almost everything, still. The way i would see it being implemented is taking very long to cut wood into panels. So long that if you're cutting more than a few wood blocks, your better off setting up a saw
that makes more sense, i guess i was thinking more in the sense of how the saw works in RedPower, where it is done in the crafting bench. But i guess i could see it work if it is similar to what Battosay suggested.
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

How would a tool like that work? You hit the wood with it until it breaks into two panels?
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
The great randomo

Battosay wrote:After all, it would only be an item. No need for block ID.
So, maybe. Why not.
But it would have to
3) not be reyclable in a crucible

Can be debated, yeah :)
Why would the durabilaty need to be so low? After all, steel is expensive and more powerful than diamond.
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

The great randomo wrote:Why would the durabilaty need to be so low? After all, steel is expensive and more powerful than diamond.
Balance ;)
Husbag3

Post by Husbag3 »

I have not read the whole of this page so someone may have said this (or it just goes wothout saying), but you could use the haft for a handle and it wolud not matter what material you used because you would have progressed far enought throught the tech tree to get it.
If the minecraft world is infinite, why does the sun still rotate around it?
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

The things is, if it's too early in the tech tree it'll break the balance, and if it's too late there'd be little or no point to it; may as well just carry a couple of stacks of mouldings and assemble things into the size you need them when you need them. As for nerfing it - I doubt anything less than battosay's post would be balanced, yet that in itself would make it useless - that slot in your inventory could be used to hold...I dunno. Panels? >.>

If we get this, I doubt seeing it near our current point in the tech tree would work. Lets see what FC's next few releases lead to - it mi9ght make more sense there somewhere.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

Stormweaver wrote:As for nerfing it - I doubt anything less than battosay's post would be balanced, yet that in itself would make it useless - that slot in your inventory could be used to hold...I dunno. Panels? >.>
Very good point :)
Dirdle

Post by Dirdle »

Battosay wrote:After all, it would only be an item. No need for block ID.
So, maybe. Why not.
But it would have to
3) not be recyclable in a crucible
At that point, the item is nerfed out of existence. Imagine Steve's face on reaching the top of the current BTW tech-tree:
"Behold! I have the Steel Armor of Invincibility! The Steel Sword of Slaying! The Steel Pick of Armok's Own Excavation! The... steel handsaw of very slowly chopping a few things in half and breaking forever? I'll pass."

The point being that steel is really good as a reward for jumping through all those hoops to make it; making one particular steel item very obviously far weaker than the others will look like either extreme aversion to powerful items or a botched retcon of a genuinely overpowered item, to someone playing the mod for the first time. In particular I object to slowing down the handsaw to anything near obsidian speeds. What's the point of an on-the-go paneling solution that's usually slower than walking back and using a stationary saw?

A mediocre handsaw made of high-tech only materials functions as a sort of "backdoor tech tree" - only available after you take the long route up, but lets you shortcut past what might be tedious repetition if you find yourself without a full complement of resources (especially limiting ones like dung) and want to quickly set up a BTW-active base (this is more plausible in 1.8+, where there's further to go between different biomes and resources). The lack of automation alone makes it nearly balanced with respect to the saw - who breaks apart gravel into flint by hand once they have hoppers and filters? Would a "hand-sieve" that breaks one gravel block into only one flint be broken? I sincerely hope the answers are "no one" and "no" respectively, otherwise I worry this mod has a serious case of "But That's Strictly Better Than Storm Crow" syndrome =/.

Overall I don't much like this idea; I much prefer building in one location to expanding to new ones constantly, and I suspect the majority of people playing this kind of mod would agree. But I can definitely see arguments for including this, and not everyone likes what I like.
What Strange Devices!