Breeding

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
Battosay

Breeding

Post by Battosay »

With 1.9 pre-release 2, we can now see how the breeding system will work.
(paul already made a vid about it : )
Spoiler
Show

So, looks like with a stack of wheat and a couple of animals, you pretty much get a ton of them (and of their drops too, obviously) ...

Thoughts ?
Katalliaan

Re: Breeding

Post by Katalliaan »

Clearly, we need to figure out how to automate it for a friendly mob killing machine.
Open in case of fire
Spoiler
Show
Not now stupid - in case of fire
Deepsniper

Post by Deepsniper »

Battosay wrote:Thoughts ?
My thought is now now can I make this so that the new "breeded" animals will end up in my grinder...

Edit:

Actually now that I've looked at the video closely I can easily say that a cattle-yard like object would make this very possible very fast. Here's a link to a site I found with a cattle-yard layout... http://www.grandin.com/design/blueprint/basicurv.html
Last edited by Deepsniper on Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
M!C

Post by M!C »

Is there any limit to it? If not I might test how many mobs my machine can handle at max ... would be a little odd though ... imagine 100+ sheep in a 2x2x2 box ...
Katalliaan

Post by Katalliaan »

I'd imagine it works like eggs - you can go beyond the normal limits.
Open in case of fire
Spoiler
Show
FaceFoiled

Post by FaceFoiled »

Battosay wrote:Can we go back to talking about anything else. Tell me about your last vacations, your grandma's garden, your sex life, whatever. Anything else.
My thoughts are all over the place, as I read the first thing, then saw you made a BREEDING thread, and the first thing I see in that was a sheep.

You really don't want to know my thoughts right now. :P
Battlecat

Post by Battlecat »

Deepsniper wrote:
My thought is now now can I make this so that the new "breeded" animals will end up in my grinder...
Seems simple enough to me. Conduct the breeding in a contained area that can be flooded with water to flush them into a grinding system.

The only catch is ensuring that a minimal breeding pair are preserved for future replication. Maybe a switching system that redirects the first of the flushed animals back into the pen. I sense experiments for science in the near future!
M!C

Post by M!C »

Katalliaan wrote:I'd imagine it works like eggs - you can go beyond the normal limits.
I'm soo gonna test that! As soon as I get my java fixed that is ...
Deepsniper

Post by Deepsniper »

Muahahhaah I think I know what I'll be doing as soon as 1.9 comes out >:D

Actually I remember this thread that had the layout for a slaughterhouse type thing. I wonder what Battosay could do with this?... Would be interesting to see for sure...

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=433
Last edited by Deepsniper on Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

Battlecat wrote:
Deepsniper wrote:
The only catch is ensuring that a minimal breeding pair are preserved for future replication. Maybe a switching system that redirects the first of the flushed animals back into the pen. I sense experiments for science in the near future!
I guess you could use a couple of minecarts? They pick up animals, right?
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

heh, this could be fun.

On a side note though, it looks like wildlife is worse than wolves when it comes to following you. can't wait to be pushed into lava by a chicken >.>
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
Deepsniper

Post by Deepsniper »

That wouldn't be a problem with animal pens though...
M!C

Post by M!C »

Stormweaver wrote:heh, this could be fun.

On a side note though, it looks like wildlife is worse than wolves when it comes to following you. can't wait to be pushed into lava by a chicken >.>
Since it is wildlife you can't exactly expect it to follow you like an obidient dog, can you? ;)

As for the gameplay, I think it's just adding a little more difficulty to getting your pen filled since then what Deepsniper said applies ... assuming you have it well fenced.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

I don't know what to think at present. This will definitely make animal farms...weird.

It also looks like auto-feeding through animals eating food next to them won't really be enough on its own for automation of animal farms given the close proximity the child animal appears in to its parents.
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

Katalliaan wrote:I'd imagine it works like eggs - you can go beyond the normal limits.
Are you sure ? And what's the "normal" limit ?
I already had >100 chickens in my egg farm.
Deepsniper

Post by Deepsniper »

At least I know I'll never have too many stacks of wheat now XD
Katalliaan

Post by Katalliaan »

By "normal limit" I mean the natural limits put on spawning (less important now that passive mob spawning has been nerfed).
Open in case of fire
Spoiler
Show
DaDodsworth

Post by DaDodsworth »

something I notices is that the child sometimes will spawn outside a wall, for example a 1 block room with 2 animals in will cause a child to spawn outside, I haven't given it much testing though.
gftweek

Post by gftweek »

I haven't tried out pre-release 2 yet, but wondering if as suggested above, anyone has tried breeding two animals that are in minecarts? In theory it would contain them, but allow their offspring to be herded away (or it just wouldn't work at all).

Also, apparently (for now at least), you can breed snowmen as they are inherited from the animal class.
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

What happen to a minecart placed on the ground when a water flow comes ? And to an animal inside ?
Time to do some testing ^^
Also, apparently (for now at least), you can breed snowmen as they are inherited from the animal class.
lol :)
Deepsniper

Post by Deepsniper »

As soon as I get home I'm gonna throw together some stuff and try to see if I can make a CattleYard work in 1.9. Once BTW is updated though I think we should be able to control the flow of animals using BD, DB and counters... that way we don't overkill our livestock.
Last edited by Deepsniper on Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DaDodsworth

Post by DaDodsworth »

Just played with the minecart idea, and it works pretty Well!
Thieme

Post by Thieme »

Notch really needs to fix their AI. Just herded a lot of animals into a holding pen made out of fences 2 high. Just so that they could jump glitch straight out again when i stood next to the fence with wheat in my hand :/ So currently i am holding my animals in a pit instead of a fenced area.
Deepsniper

Post by Deepsniper »

you can use the fence gates though to get into the pens..
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

Deepsniper wrote:you can use the fence gates though to get into the pens..
That's not what he's talking about ;)