Illegal modpack with BTW

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Kwilt

Re: Illegal modpack with BTW

Post by Kwilt »

@Kas: Silly. We haven't made one complaint about anybody being deprived of adf.ly revenue. You should do research before spouting such nonsense. :3

*waves to the SA stalkers*

EDIT: Or, maybe we have. I can't be troubled to recheck right now. Too exhausted. Either way, I don't see why we would since we don't use the service. So it'd be trivial for us to make a complaint about it.

Image (<--------------- Click me to watch live!)
Nayoko_Ventila

Post by Nayoko_Ventila »

I havent posted much in these forums but i have been around since july, I dont think the yog followers will/should be our main issue, since all the yogscast did that they know of was play a really awesome mod pack, everything is prerecorded video wise and so it's not like they are smart in the feilds of knowing what was allowed or not. on the other hands the guy who made the pack himself would be my main point of interest. In america there is a law of copyright, basically if you make it, and it's different than what someone else made and you state it's copywrited with proof you made it then it's illegal for anyone else to claim possession of, or use said things without written permission from the creator. I dont know how the exact law goes though and i am too tired/lazy to look it up, i know this though because i'm an artist and alot of my friends have encountered art theft. (which i dont have to worry bout cause i sculpt) ramble ramble got off subject again. T.T sorry

Edit, i know this is late so you dont have to tell me. lol
Creeperkitty says sssssssBOOMMEOW
grimper12341

Post by grimper12341 »

Magmarashi

Post by Magmarashi »

grimper12341 wrote:u.u they converted trisk
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showth ... t395937751
The wolf stuff hasn't aged well outside of this community, to be honest. It had a point and a good message at the time but, honestly, it just seems rather strange now and it eats up two blockIDs. Just Say'n
SCIENCE!
Tekei

Post by Tekei »

Magmarashi wrote:
grimper12341 wrote:u.u they converted trisk
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showth ... t395937751
The wolf stuff hasn't aged well outside of this community, to be honest. It had a point and a good message at the time but, honestly, it just seems rather strange now and it eats up two blockIDs. Just Say'n
Don't take away my bedside tables! PLEASE! ;)
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

derpal wrote:I want to see all this proof of permissions because frankly it just looks like he's doing exactly what he's railing against here, which is pretty disgusting and hypocritical.
You want to see ? Who are you to ask anything ?
I don't owe you anything, so go fuck yourself.
Yeah, I can be a prick too.
Deepsniper

Post by Deepsniper »

derpal wrote:
I want to see all this proof of permissions because frankly it just looks like he's doing exactly what he's railing against here, which is pretty disgusting and hypocritical.
When FlowerChild is the first to comment on the texture pack and has nothing bad to say about it I would take that as proof enough.
derpal

Post by derpal »

So you don't have permission and you're tring to cover, as is Deepsniper by completely sidestepping the issue with a completely biased source. Gotcha. Glad we're on the same page then, otherwise, I'd have seen it by now. I want to see permission FROM THE OWNERS of the packs, BY THOSE OWNERS, ON THEIR OWN PAGES. I 100% guarantee you don't have it and you're the worst sort of hypocrite because of it. So it's ok when it's a texture pack but not when it's your precious mod? Disgusting. Absolutely disgusting conduct.
derpal

Post by derpal »

Deepsniper wrote:
derpal wrote:
I want to see all this proof of permissions because frankly it just looks like he's doing exactly what he's railing against here, which is pretty disgusting and hypocritical.
When FlowerChild is the first to comment on the texture pack and has nothing bad to say about it I would take that as proof enough.
Right, I forgot, if someone you like says nice things about something, then it's no longer copyright infringement.
Shengji

Post by Shengji »

Derpal, why would the owners of the original material post on their pages who they gave permission to use their art? If you want to know from them if they gave permission, just ask them! But I can tell you now, they were asked and they did give permission. I know this because one of the artists whose work was featured is my wife. And I just found what I believe to be the permission request in her emails, along with her reply, granting permission.

You know, if you've spent hours trawling this forum and that's all you got, sadly you wasted your time :(

Some people do things with respect to others and in return are treated with respect. This is why you percieve FC to be treated in a way you can't understand. We respect him because he has always treated us with respect.

Many, many "goons" over at SA, a forum which I am an active member off, I might add, spend your life treating the world with disrespect, and in return, you get treated like the scummy layer at the bottom of the internet. If you treated people with respect, you too could end up getting the respect people give FC, even from outside of SA. I mean, come on, even the term Goon - the people who run the forums are insulting you, laughing at you, treating you like a special needs idiot whilst you pay for their nice lifestyles with your patronage, following your own self abusing little herd in circles.

You want to know what the real joke is on the internet. You, because you just spent hours trolling, and for what? You just reinforce everything we know about you.
Last edited by Shengji on Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
7 months, 37 different border checks and counting.
Caevin

Post by Caevin »

Hey there Derpal, you certainly are taking a very hostile tone, so I'm not sure whether or not you are trying to achieve success here; but at any rate, I can provide you with the permissions you are asking for, so to speak. I could understand the hypocrisy you feel, and would fully agree with you, if such hypocrisy was there. However, the texture pack you are speaking of and the modpack are two completely different scenarios.

Here is a link to Battosay's texture pack on this forum:
Right here

On that page, he tells us where he acquired his textures from and even provides the links to go to the main pages of those creators ourselves. But, I'll provide those links he has provided here anyway.
Doku's Texture Pack
John Smith's Texture Pack
Faithful Texture Pack

I've looked through the OP of each of these packs, and not once has Battosay broken a single rule, in fact, Doku and JohnSmith have both made no rules as to how they want their packs used. While you could argue that JohnSmith does have one of his links through adfly, and thus is losing out on possible revenue, he does not demand that it be used, and is not his main goal. In short, he has no qualms about the redistribution of his work. Faithful's texture pack has this to say on the subject at the bottom of the OP:
"If anyone wants to use anything I've made please give credit and link back to this topic. If you could let me know it'd be nice but unnecessary."
And thus, Battosay has given permission exactly as the creator asked, by simply linking to the pack and making sure we are all aware of where the work came from.

Now, here is the copyright notice from the OP of the Better Than Wolves thread:

[*** COPYRIGHT NOTICE ***]
This document is Copyright ©(2011) and is the intellectual property of the author. It may not be reproduced under any circumstances except for personal, private use as long as it remains in its unaltered, unedited form. It may not be placed on any web site or otherwise distributed publicly without advance written permission. Use of this mod on any other website is strictly prohibited, and a violation of copyright.

Note: I DO NOT grant redistribution rights to this mod to anyone that asks, whether that be for a mod-pack or whatever. Don't bother asking, as it won't happen.
[************************]

In it, FlowerChild expresses exactly how the mod is to be used, which includes not being in a mod pack or any similar work. As for how Battosay's texture pack fits into that, you could think of a texture pack as a mod of sorts. In it is only work done by the creator of the texture pack, so there is no redistribution of the work it is intended to to go together with. Rather, it's a replacement for the art, and is not disallowed.

Now, I'm sure most everybody is sick of this however (including myself) so I ask that you please, if not stop the argument, at least take a more civil tone.
derpal

Post by derpal »

Caevin wrote:-quote-
Oh, so if the person doesn't explicitly say 'don't take my art' then it's ok for you to take it, gotcha.

Also nice dancing around "copyright" rules there at the end. Since the technic pack was also not meant for "redistribution" either the hypocracy continues, it's ok when you do it here, or with texture packs that aren't yours, but not when someone else does it with your precious mod. Nice how that works.
Kwilt

Post by Kwilt »

derpal wrote:Oh, so if the person doesn't explicitly say 'don't take my art' then it's ok for you to take it, gotcha.
But when someone says specifically not to use his mods, but they're used anyways, you don't seem to have a problem?

Gotcha.
Last edited by Kwilt on Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Battosay

Post by Battosay »

derpal wrote:So you don't have permission and you're tring to cover, as is Deepsniper by completely sidestepping the issue with a completely biased source. Gotcha. Glad we're on the same page then, otherwise, I'd have seen it by now. I want to see permission FROM THE OWNERS of the packs, BY THOSE OWNERS, ON THEIR OWN PAGES. I 100% guarantee you don't have it and you're the worst sort of hypocrite because of it. So it's ok when it's a texture pack but not when it's your precious mod? Disgusting. Absolutely disgusting conduct.
You stupid fuck. Can't you just read the OP on their official topic ?
Doku stated that he allowed redistribution, when he left the minecraft scene.
Vattic sent me that :
And I can't find back the post when JS talked about redistribution, but i just mailed him again, just to be sure.
Even if I don't need to, as his textures are oftenly used as placeholder in other's TP.
Magmarashi

Post by Magmarashi »

I think maybe some of us need to go for a walk or have a smoke. Maybe look at a flower or a puppy or something.
SCIENCE!
Shengji

Post by Shengji »

derpal wrote:
Oh, so if the person doesn't explicitly say 'don't take my art' then it's ok for you to take it, gotcha.
We just going to ignore the fact that he seems to have asked for permission directly and been granted it, with no strings attached, yet that permission was not published in a public forum, e.g with my the art my wife gave the green light for.

That's fine, but let's not forget, until you have proof that the author disallowed permission, you got nothing.
Kwilt

Post by Kwilt »

Magmarashi wrote:I think maybe some of us need to go for a walk or have a smoke. Maybe look at a flower or a puppy or something.
I agree. Much easier to get away with murder in public.

What?

derpal

Post by derpal »

Battosay wrote:-quote-
See now, wasn't that easier than being a little whiny child? Maybe you should properly credit things in the first place and you could avoid this sort thing, kiddo. ;D

oh and "Even if I don't need to, as his textures are oftenly used as placeholder in other's TP." is still art theft, even if other people are doing it. Hypocrite. Grow up.
Magmarashi

Post by Magmarashi »

KWilt wrote:
Magmarashi wrote:I think maybe some of us need to go for a walk or have a smoke. Maybe look at a flower or a puppy or something.
I agree. Much easier to get away with murder in public.

What?
That is actually true. The larger the crowd, the more people will shift responsibility of taking action to stop the crime around, to the point that no one helps. It has a name, but I can't remember it.
SCIENCE!
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

Lol :)
Kind of ironical to call someone whiny, when you're the one whining here.
I gave credit from the first place, you just tried to have a point with me here, to justify the action of your beloved guru, because you're too dumb to install mods all by yourself. But you failed.
I did ask for permission, even when I didn't needed to (because it's stated in their OP). On the other hand, the moron who made that pack did the exact oposite, yet you have nothing to say against it.
And you're calling me hyprocrite. How funny.
Please continue being so stupid, you're making my day :)
derpal

Post by derpal »

Battosay wrote:Lol :)
Kind of ironical to call someone whiny, when you're the one whining here.
I gave credit from the first place, you just tried to have a point with me here, to justify the action of your beloved guru, because you're too dumb to install mods all by yourself. But you failed.
I did ask for permission, even when I didn't needed to (because it's stated in their OP). On the other hand, the moron who made that pack did the exact oposite, yet you have nothing to say against it.
And you're calling me hyprocrite. How funny.
Please continue being so stupid, you're making my day :)
Glad I could help kid. ;) You sure get angry!
Deepsniper

Post by Deepsniper »

derpal wrote:
See now, wasn't that easier than being a little whiny child? Maybe you should properly credit things in the first place and you could avoid this sort thing, kiddo. ;D

oh and "Even if I don't need to, as his textures are oftenly used as placeholder in other's TP." is still art theft, even if other people are doing it. Hypocrite. Grow up.

My question to you derpal is have you ever tried to mod? It's not as easy as you think especially creating a complex mod such as BTW, BC, IC2, and RP. Those mod developers put a ton of their hard earned time and energy into this mod and when they say "Don't distribute my files without permission" they usually mean it.

Sure the devs will get over it and some aren't as pissed as you may think but its the pure and simple concept that the guy took these mods, did not ask for permission, put them together, uploaded it for Distribution and basically said in the readme "F U modders".

Now think about it this way. Only a handful of modders were hit with this attack but other might take the hint. The MC community is a pile of people who don't give a hoot about their work so they'll then decide to stop modding then next thing you know your going to be stuck playing 1.9 or something completely 2.0 because no modder feels the need to mod anymore...

So derpal go sit on your little computer enjoy the modpack if you wish just remember the fact that if your such willing to play with the modpack rather than taking 10 minutes of your time to setup the config files yourself then your lazy enough not to be here and comment on this forum.

Its not the fact that they did it its more along the lines of the way that they went about doing this and the concept of it that is just completely wrong and shouldn't be done by anyone younger than 12...
derpal

Post by derpal »

Deepsniper wrote:
derpal wrote:

My question to you derpal is have you ever tried to mod? It's not as easy as you think especially creating a complex mod such as BTW, BC, IC2, and RP. Those mod developers put a ton of their hard earned time and energy into this mod and when they say "Don't distribute my files without permission" they usually mean it.

Sure the devs will get over it and some aren't as pissed as you may think but its the pure and simple concept that the guy took these mods, did not ask for permission, put them together, uploaded it for Distribution and basically said in the readme "F U modders".

Now think about it this way. Only a handful of modders were hit with this attack but other might take the hint. The MC community is a pile of people who don't give a hoot about their work so they'll then decide to stop modding then next thing you know your going to be stuck playing 1.9 or something completely 2.0 because no modder feels the need to mod anymore...

So derpal go sit on your little computer enjoy the modpack if you wish just remember the fact that if your such willing to play with the modpack rather than taking 10 minutes of your time to setup the config files yourself then your lazy enough not to be here and comment on this forum.

Its not the fact that they did it its more along the lines of the way that they went about doing this and the concept of it that is just completely wrong and shouldn't be done by anyone younger than 12...
The sooner all the modders with attitudes like FC and Battosay quit the community, the faster the MC will actually stop being a cesspool of man-children waging drama over their derivative work built on illegally decompiled source code. Having all these drama garbage-dump examples of humanity leave can't happen fast enough.
Shengji

Post by Shengji »

derpal wrote:... their derivative work built on illegally decompiled source code.
Isn't that all mods from virtually all games? So, you basically don't want minecraft to have mods then?
Deepsniper

Post by Deepsniper »

derpal wrote: The sooner all the modders with attitudes like FC and Battosay quit the community, the faster the MC will actually stop being a cesspool of man-children waging drama over their derivative work built on illegally decompiled source code. Having all these drama garbage-dump examples of humanity leave can't happen fast enough.
So you would rather have needy 12-13 year olds who think they are all self-entitled to everything rather than some modder who prefers having a control over his own work and has a need to make the mods reasonable... I mean look at some of the mods out there... sure there are some good ones but the ones I'm looking at are the ones that are pretty much giving you invincibility at no cost/work.

Its the mods like BTW that make minecraft such a entertaining game. You have to come out of your self-entitled bubble and see that sometimes people need to do a little work to get what they want. Everyone who actively plays BTW and is part of this community understands that and agrees with that thought and that's why this forum was created. To step away as much as reasonably possible from those people who beg and whine about mods.
Shengji wrote:
derpal wrote:... their derivative work built on illegally decompiled source code.
Isn't that all mods from virtually all games? So, you basically don't want minecraft to have mods then?
If you don't like the fact that they're using the decompiler then go back to playing your little precious vMC.