Request for ideas: Blue dye

If you want to get banned, this is the place to post.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: Request for ideas: Blue dye

Post by FlowerChild »

Battosay wrote: Lol ! Fuck yeah !
I always wanted to hunt and kill those blue perverts things ! (Only one girl ? For hundreds of guys ? Really ?!)
Bah. I'm pretty sure Smurfette is just a regular smurf in drag :)

Thanks for all the ideas guys. I'm liking where this thread is going. Lots of new automation possibilities are springing up here.

So far, I'm liking the crustacean idea quite a bit. It's a unique solution, introduces lots of new possibilities in the mod, and heck, it even gives me an excuse to try my hand at mob-creation without getting too crazy about it ;)

I've actually been toying with the idea of doing some new mobs as of late. I'm getting the impression that with the new creatures Mojang is adding, they're straying from the concept with each of the initial mobs that they were kindof "mob archtypes".

You had:

-The melee mob.
-The ranged mob.
-The kamikaze mob.
-The climbing mob.

I think this was a real strength of the original monster designs. Each of them had clearly defined roles.

The new mobs on the other hand just seem to be a mish-mash of ideas, and seem to be more focused on just providing visual variety rather than unique forms of gameplay.

Realizing that, I've been going over a number of additional "archtype" style mobs that I think the game would benefit from, which would open up new harvesting possibilities, and which are more than just new creatures for their own sake.

I think this mod isn't just about providing new ways to automate, but has also become about providing new *inecentives* to automate, and I think mobs can definitely be a part of that.

Don't worry about this turning into Mo'Creatures or whatever. Hopefully from the above you can see the distinction that I'm making here between the kind of mobs I'd be willing to add, and what other mods add.
Urian

Post by Urian »

Aren't they still mostly sticking to the archetypes? Mooshrooms are passive mobs so the don't count. Ghasts are flying ranged (and old). Silverfish are swarm. Endermen are... ok, they're just weird unless you want to count teleporting as an archetype. Slimes and the nether counterpart are splitters. I've got no idea what a blazer is so no idea there.
FlowerChild: Ice in deserts is a good idea
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

Oh man :)
I always wished to see what kind of new monsters and AI you'd be able to do :)

Guys, you better start making a lot of brodhead arrows, and make sure your base is properly protected.
Our defense are about to be serously challenged ^^
Urian wrote:I've got no idea what a blazer is so no idea there.
I'd say another type of range mob, just like the ghast
FlowerChild wrote: Bah. I'm pretty sure Smurfette is just a regular smurf in drag :)
You just ruined my childhood first wet dreams ... xD
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

*Looks on wikipedia*

Not to suggest anything too simple, but since IRL squid ink is a blue/black colour, using minecraft logic ink sacs could possibly be 'cooked' into blue dye; If nothing else, it would be a temporary alternative till a better idea is implemented. I do like the sea-life direction this is taking though.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
Necropolis

Post by Necropolis »

...Is anyone else as greatly disturbed about Batto's childhood dreams as I am?
FurkeyRefills

Post by FurkeyRefills »

I like the idea of having a new plant, as it would go nicely in the factory section of my kingdom.
I remember eating blueberries when I was little, an that shit used to go EVERYWHERE !
In my mind it's perfectly suited to a dye, the game need more plants and also, it would add a bit more variety to this mod !
Not that there isn't a lot already ;)
FlowerChild wrote:I've made another decision... Fuck being a plug-in.
Fracture

Post by Fracture »

Couldn't blue flowers simply be added as a damage value of red or yellow flowers?
Abracadabra, you're an idiot.
Urian

Post by Urian »

Necropolis wrote:...Is anyone else as greatly disturbed about Batto's childhood dreams as I am?
I'm keeping quiet since this is a case of "words are not enough" :)
FlowerChild: Ice in deserts is a good idea
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Fracture wrote:Couldn't blue flowers simply be added as a damage value of red or yellow flowers?
Not without modifying the base-class in a way that I couldn't hope to integrate into the Forge.
Dralnalak

Post by Dralnalak »

If you're willing to add another mob, why not consider adding a slime-type mob to the Nether? Instead of the typical slime balls, you'd get some sort of blue slime that would work for making blue dye.

I was going to suggest boiling the blue slime ball in the cauldron, but since any slime mob in the nether would probably be immune to lava/heat, why not have it drop a more solid ball that you can then grind up in the millstone? The natural heat of the Nether combines with the slime's metabolism to create crystal deposits in the creature that you can get when you kill it. (So, we're basically using slime kidney stones...?)

I found hunting slimes to be a blast, but I rarely ever find them in my worlds, so any excuse to deal with more of them (and more interesting things in the Nether) is good in my book.

Barring a new mob like that, I think a way to farm in the water would be very interesting. I'm always up for new things to farm. Have the mollusk fields work like slow sand maybe, which could increase your risk of drowning if you put in a pearl diving type method where they only spawn in X deep water.
rbh

Post by rbh »

Necropolis wrote:...Is anyone else as greatly disturbed about Batto's childhood dreams as I am?
Come on, the smurfette is kinda hot ;) (or at least she was until FC opened my eyes)

On the topic of archetypes, I would like to see a "trap mob". I can imagine clams hiding in the sand and biting your leg off if you walk on them.
AmishGoat

Post by AmishGoat »

Personally I think blueberries are the better idea, seems to me that they go along better with the other additions (hemp)
But mussels could be ok too, I guess it really depends on how they work.
Trying to destroy the you with a you is futile.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

There's always [insert fictional, conveniently blue-coloured plant here], which you could cultivate and use for [insert fictional magical properties here] and dyeing things. Doesn't have to be blueberries if you go down that road.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
the_fodder

Post by the_fodder »

Ink sac
Change ink sac to blue and use coal for black dye.
- Ink sac currently only used for making black wool and gray/light gray wool.
-base level change = bad

Noticed Fc comments when I was editing for clarity, makes sense why something so obvious was over "looked"

Berry / grape
Vines planted on top of fence post (like pressure plate) causes them to produce berries.
-(changed wording a to not tell DC how to code)
Last edited by the_fodder on Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.
It's FC mod, he just lets us play it.
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

I really like the berry bush idea, not least because it could also produce farmable red and black dyes as well. The coal tar idea would probably require some sort of 'acid' to cook with coal dust in the cauldron to produce blue dye. The mollusk concept would start opening up a need for working shorelines and oceans. Perhaps a rake item that when used to right click on clay blocks in or under water, has a chance to produce a mussel. Abalone in areas that aren't often over-fished tend to grow to be a foot long, so they would probably need a block to avoid nitpicking.

Side note, would it be possible to use coal dust as black dye in a cauldron when cooking wool?
Better is the enemy of Good
Fracture

Post by Fracture »

Ah, didn't think of that FC. Then again-- how many incompatibilities could we honestly expect from a modification to the flower class...?

@The smurfette thing: She's obviously the village whore, and I don't think even a bunch of smurfs with no ladies in sight would really bother altogether that much with a guy in drag.
Abracadabra, you're an idiot.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

the_fodder wrote:Change ink sac to blue and use coal for black dye.
- base level change?
- Ink sac currently only used for making black wool and gray/light gray wool.
- no new block ids
I think you know me well enough by now to know I'm not willing to modify vanilla behavior in this way.
Fracture wrote:Ah, didn't think of that FC. Then again-- how many incompatibilities could we honestly expect from a modification to the flower class...?
It's a bad idea, and I don't like to discuss implementation details in these threads because it devolves into me having to explain the smallest of decisions which is tiresome at best.

The Forge itself will need to modify all the plant classes in the near future to allow for the same kind of behavior I have going with the Planter: being able to place plants on non-vanilla blocks. In other words, this would create an incompatibility with the very API I am using.

I can really do without "cram more blocks into a single ID" suggestions in general. I am well aware of the technical limitations I am dealing with, and exploit them wherever possible.
Necropolis

Post by Necropolis »

One must be aware, my dear fellows, that the Smurfette in question was not a natural member of the smurf species, but was indeed a foul creation of the magics of Gargamel. Created to sow dissention into the ranks of his enemies, and lure them to him, Gargamel was thwarted by the efforts of Papa Smurf, who took the viper in his midst and turned her into a true Smurf, that embodiment of the communist ideal which was the hallmark of smurf conventions. Thus is she the only female smurf, and being that the smurfs existed fine without a female specimen in their ranks before her arrival, we can scarce assume that her presence instantly turned the smurfs into frenzied adolescents. Quite contrarily, we often see an indifference to her feminine charms by the smurfs, with the possible exception of two of their number, who appear more to be competing with each other with her as a trophy.

Having espoused the briefer part of her history, I call for an immediate cessation of this slander of Smurfette's character, as unbefitting to the diction of civilized men and women, an intractable and vile sentiment in its own right, and wholly out of keeping with the nature of the Smurf catechism.

Plus, she's flat as a board.
gftweek

Post by gftweek »

Yeah, technically Smurfette isn't a smurf at all, she's a golem or a homunculus since she was created by magic. She just happens to be blue and look like the other Smurfs.

If you've decided on crustacean mobs for dye that's cool, but otherwise; how about boiling brown mushrooms to get blue dye, yes the colours don't match (unless you use a texture pack), but it would give a reason to farm them, and I believe they grow faster than red ones anyway, so evenly designed mushroom farms would have an excess of them. Plus mushrooms are used to make dyes, albeit mostly red, yellow or green ones, but we could stretch it to blue.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

gftweek wrote:Yeah, technically Smurfette isn't a smurf at all, she's a golem or a homunculus since she was created by magic. She just happens to be blue and look like the other Smurfs.
Ummm...dude, if you're ever in a bar and approached by a flat-chested chick who claims to have been created through "magic", I suggest you apply Ockam's Razor and assume she's got a little too much junk in the trunk.
gftweek

Post by gftweek »

FlowerChild wrote:
gftweek wrote:Yeah, technically Smurfette isn't a smurf at all, she's a golem or a homunculus since she was created by magic. She just happens to be blue and look like the other Smurfs.
Ummm...dude, if you're ever in a bar and approached by a flat-chested chick who claims to have been created through "magic", I suggest you apply Ockam's Razor and assume she's got a little too much junk in the trunk.
Cheers, I'll remember that advice! Does it only apply to blue chicks? And you're assuming I'm not into that! ;)

Also by this logic many Disney characters are dudes in drag too, Minnie and Daisy for starters! Guess that fits with the hidden innuendo in many Disney films (or in some cases full frontal nudity).
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

gftweek wrote:And you're assuming I'm not into that! ;)
No assumption at all man. I'm simply providing information. What you choose to do with it is up to you :)

EDIT: And yes, all Disney characters are either trans or shooting smack. This is well known. Snow White in particular features both heavily and High School Musical is really just using basketball as a metaphor for a young man's torment over whether to go under the knife.
Magmarashi

Post by Magmarashi »

FlowerChild wrote:
gftweek wrote:And you're assuming I'm not into that! ;)
No assumption at all man. I'm simply providing information. What you choose to do with it is up to you :)

EDIT: And yes, all Disney characters are either trans or shooting smack. This is well known. Snow White in particular features both heavily and High School Musical is really just using basketball as a metaphor for a young man's torment over whether to go under the knife.

I will say, you're right about the torment that can only end with a knife part...
SCIENCE!
KriiEiter

Post by KriiEiter »

Isatis tinctoria, with Woad ( /ˈwoʊd/; or glastum) as the common name, is a flowering plant in the family Brassicaceae. It is commonly called dyer's woad, and sometimes incorrectly listed as Isatis indigotica (a newer and invalid name for the same plant)[citation needed]. It is occasionally known as Asp of Jerusalem. Woad is also the name of a blue dye produced from the leaves[2] of the plant.

So there's another option for a plant that isn't blueberries.

The Phoenicians also made an indigo dye, sometimes referred to as royal blue or hyacinth purple, which was made from a closely-related species of marine snail.

And instead of mussels we could also consider snails.
CreeperCommando

Post by CreeperCommando »

I just thought that I'd say my vote is for mussels, as they ARE the most interesting + productive in terms of BTW variety.
Below is just an old fools ramblings ;)
Could also perhaps be implemented without being a mob perhaps? (less work?)
My view is that if perhaps moulding is submerged in still water the voids of the moulding would after a time fill with these mussels, where either hitting them or pulling the moulding out of water (hint sticky pistons) would make them drop off as items (could maybe make it so that no new block ids are used and no new mobs needs to be created, by simply containing everything inside the mouldings code).
Ribky wrote:Right into the hibachi? Damn man, God hates your windmill more than he hates the uncircumcised.
FC wrote:"You have defeated zrog the mighty! Have a potato."
FC wrote: "Does Dung Float?"