1.9 pre-release feature discussion

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Phantum

Re: 1.9 pre-release feature discussion

Post by Phantum »

Tbh, a lot of the new features, (imho) are pretty much a joke, they're unfinished, and are going to remain as such for another year. Look at slimeballs.
*´¨)
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)
(¸.•´ (¸.•` ¤ Phantum
Fallen Sun Gaming Administrator
-It's not about what you've got, it's what you make of what you've got.
Urian

Post by Urian »

One thing I found interesting is the creation method of the snow golems. AFAIK this is the first vMC recipe where placing blocks in a specific pattern causes the change (to an entity in this case). I guess that's a feature that mods could put to good use.
FlowerChild: Ice in deserts is a good idea
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Urian wrote:One thing I found interesting is the creation method of the snow golems. AFAIK this is the first vMC recipe where placing blocks in a specific pattern causes the change (to an entity in this case). I guess that's a feature that mods could put to good use.
I doubt it's a feature per say, as much as it's just a quick check when the pumpkin is placed for two snow blocks beneath it, followed by removal of those blocks, and the creation of an entity.

In other words, I don't think it's a general purpose system or anything that allows us to do stuff we couldn't before. This kind of thing could already easily be done with the existing code.
diegokilla

Post by diegokilla »

FlowerChild wrote:
Urian wrote:One thing I found interesting is the creation method of the snow golems. AFAIK this is the first vMC recipe where placing blocks in a specific pattern causes the change (to an entity in this case). I guess that's a feature that mods could put to good use.
I doubt it's a feature per say, as much as it's just a quick check when the pumpkin is placed for two snow blocks beneath it, followed by removal of those blocks, and the creation of an entity.

In other words, I don't think it's a general purpose system or anything that allows us to do stuff we couldn't before. This kind of thing could already easily be done with the existing code.
That's similar to how you implement stoking cauldrons and the kiln, right?
Mrchaim

Post by Mrchaim »

So Notch is adding animal breeding right now! tm.
As thanks for that cheer-up, I will try to add animal breeding. On my laptop. In bed. :D
They won't stop breeding!!! imgur.com/qt1Ad?full
If you hold food in your hand, they follow you around. If you feed them, they enter "love mode". Two animals in love mode = babies.
You know what would be fun? If every single animal in minecraft came from eggs. Breeding would involve moving egg blocks around.
Yes, cow eggs. Is that really that strange? ;D
I'm debating back and forth the cow-egg idea whether i like it or not. It's consistent with existing methods of creating new animals, but introduces issues with having things happen "naturally", requiring really distinct player input beyond just the taming stage, and i'm not convinced i entirely like that. Not a problem for us with BTW and our horrifying factory farms (On the assumption that they'd work exactly like Chicken Eggs), but defintely a problem in vMC.
Tekei

Post by Tekei »

Im wondering what'll happen to wolves if feeding is the trigger for breeding. I guess you'll just have to tame them 1 at a time or somehting in that case...
Urian

Post by Urian »

Imagine what will happen to our dung farms... We lock a bunch of them in a dark room and forcefeed them aphrodisiacs. My god, it will be an orgy!

Coming soon: alternative ingredient to dung for tanning leathers: boil the scoured leather together with wolf pups!
AmishGoat

Post by AmishGoat »

@Mrchaim, sorry if I'm being an idiot, but where did you find the site for the picture?
@Tekei, maybe it'll have a random chance for success (so like 1 in 8 times you feed them they'll have a baby), with a hard limit so you can't infinitely breed them.
and @Urian, You make it sound like a bad thing... I especially like the wolf pups as alternative to dung!
Trying to destroy the you with a you is futile.
Magmarashi

Post by Magmarashi »

Yes, completely worth eating up a block ID, which are precious and not to be wasted on frivolities
SCIENCE!
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

http://imgur.com/qt1Ad?full
notch put up a picture of the animal breeding

he also tweeted this after he ran into a problem, not sure if its a joke or not
You know what would be fun? If every single animal in minecraft came from eggs. Breeding would involve moving egg blocks around.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

From what notch said, it sounds like animal breeding's going to be a manual process - you have to hand feed them.

I can't see FC editing the base classes for every animal, just to eat dropped food, or hooks for it being put in the forge tbh. Oh well. Here's to being glad BTW's staying 1.7.3 for now >.<
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Stormweaver wrote:From what notch said, it sounds like animal breeding's going to be a manual process - you have to hand feed them.

I can't see FC editing the base classes for every animal, just to eat dropped food, or hooks for it being put in the forge tbh. Oh well. Here's to being glad BTW's staying 1.7.3 for now >.<
Actually, me allowing automated feeding of each animal seems like a highly probable solution to all this and is totally in-keeping with the spirit of the mod.

Yes, I'd have to edit a number of base-classes to do it, but they aren't ones likely to interfere with other mods, so I'd likely be willing to go that route *if* that seems reasonable once I dig into the code.
logorouge

Post by logorouge »

FlowerChild wrote: Actually, me allowing automated feeding of each animal seems like a highly probable solution to all this and is totally in-keeping with the spirit of the mod.
Ouf. Glad to hear that. Obligatory manual feeding for any animal breeding just sounds tedious. Unless Mojang give us a trough/feeding tray block... but I doubt it. (would be a neat use for wheat though)
Azdoine may have wrote:Well, we are harvesting souls [...] Sure, they get trapped in a piece of metal, but at least they get to see the world.
Brethern

Post by Brethern »

FlowerChild wrote:
Stormweaver wrote:From what notch said, it sounds like animal breeding's going to be a manual process - you have to hand feed them.

Actually, me allowing automated feeding of each animal seems like a highly probable solution to all this and is totally in-keeping with the spirit of the mod.

Yes, I'd have to edit a number of base-classes to do it, but they aren't ones likely to interfere with other mods, so I'd likely be willing to go that route *if* that seems reasonable once I dig into the code.
I'm not sure if I'm ok with the idea of being able to breed animals just to get materials from them. On one hand it would be nice since I could create my super epic zombie fortress without having to concern myself with animals staying inside, but on the other hand it would make BTW allot easier.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Brethern wrote: I'm not sure if I'm ok with the idea of being able to breed animals just to get materials from them. On one hand it would be nice since I could create my super epic zombie fortress without having to concern myself with animals staying inside, but on the other hand it would make BTW allot easier.
Pre 1.8 animals spawn in a way that can be entirely automated for farming. The way animal breeding is described above with manual feeding sounds like it allows you to spawn as many as you like, and thus gets you all the materials you want from them, but you just have to do all the clicking yourself.

Automating the feeding process thus wouldn't make the mod any easier at all than it was pre 1.8, so I'm not sure what you're talking about.

Also, this is all based on heresay yes? I suspect we should drop this line of conversation entirely for now as it's not really related to the features in 1.9 pre-release and is thus off-topic.
M!C

Post by M!C »

FlowerChild wrote:Also, this is all based on heresay yes? I suspect we should drop this line of conversation entirely for now as it's not really related to the features in 1.9 pre-release and is thus off-topic.
It's based on one of Notch's tweets ... very vague ... he's just playing around as always. ;)
Urian

Post by Urian »

I just found my first Netherhold, I must say it feels a bit epic to make your way through the nether and suddenly stumble upon something this size (and the architecture is nice too):
Spoiler
Show
Urian

Post by Urian »

Hmm, are vines the first type of blocks that can exist in the same block as another block? You can't place two vines in the same block manually but they can grow into a block where there is a vine already.
Mrchaim

Post by Mrchaim »

For another upcoming feature: Enderpearls now have a use - Throw them, and you'll be teleported to where they land. Oh, and take 5 points of falling damage from it.

Source: http://www.reddit.com/r/Minecraft/comme ... ow/c2mwldd

I think i like it. The damage penalty means it's not really going to be an easy escape card, and it's entirely possible to have it backfire on you horribly with shoddy aim/the damage penalty. On the other hand, the advantage is big enough to make you want to risk it - And in 1.9, Endermen are supposed to be rarer spawns, so it shouldn't bee too common to find em. (Discounting a mobtrap, of course). I do want to see what the actual throw range is though - if it's like Eggs/Snowballs/Pre 1.8 arrows, it could be overpowered just for the sheer distance traveled. Guess we'll see.

It does lead to the hilarious image of steve going "Crap! about to die!" *hurls enderpearl, explodes inside own base*.
Urian

Post by Urian »

If only we could shoot enderpearls from dispensers... Reliable (as long as you have pearls) transportation over moats, ravines, etc.
Tekei

Post by Tekei »

Urian wrote:If only we could shoot enderpearls from dispensers... Reliable (as long as you have pearls) transportation over moats, ravines, etc.
Unless that teleports the dispenser. haha, that would be hilarious :)
Mrchaim

Post by Mrchaim »

Tekei wrote:
Urian wrote:If only we could shoot enderpearls from dispensers... Reliable (as long as you have pearls) transportation over moats, ravines, etc.
Unless that teleports the dispenser. haha, that would be hilarious :)
I saw someone in that thread suggest that should instead have the victim of whatever is hit by the enderpearl teleported to the dispenser. No idea how hard that would be to implement, but oh the shenanigans it would let you pull.
Xetian

Post by Xetian »

Hopefully they do a clean job of it so it's easy to mimic the behavior with mods (elemental arrow of teleportation anyone?)
FlowerChild wrote: Lol! Dude, I don't think any of our lives would look too good if a random 9-second clip were grabbed as an illustration ;)
Fracture

Post by Fracture »

If we were going for derivatives of the Ender Pearl I'd prefer something more along the lines of an Ender Pad. Make slabs of ender pearls, arrange 3x3 on the ground. If you throw an ender pearl to your feet within loaded chunk distance of one, it warps you to it (at perhaps a higher health cost, though not capable of killing you, to make sure you safety these things.
Abracadabra, you're an idiot.
gftweek

Post by gftweek »

Fracture wrote:If we were going for derivatives of the Ender Pearl I'd prefer something more along the lines of an Ender Pad. Make slabs of ender pearls, arrange 3x3 on the ground. If you throw an ender pearl to your feet within loaded chunk distance of one, it warps you to it (at perhaps a higher health cost, though not capable of killing you, to make sure you safety these things.
It would almost be worth it even if it did kill you!
- Surrounded by creepers, being shot at by skeletons, on half a heart with an inventory load of mined goods, you throw your last ender pearl at your feet and teleport back to your base in your storage room, dying instantly and exploding inventory all over the hoppers spread across the floor for just such an occurrance. You wake up groggy in the next room by your bed from the strangest dream, and go next door to sort through your last mining haul and start smelting. -