1.9 pre-release or full tomorrow.

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Lighthouse

1.9 pre-release or full tomorrow.

Post by Lighthouse »

walker_boh_65

Re: 1.9 pre-release or full tomorrow.

Post by walker_boh_65 »

I thought 1.9 was supposed to have NPC's, if it does, then why make it two releases, which makes me think it will be a 1.8.3 or something similar.
Brethern

Post by Brethern »

I'm so hoping that this is just MCF over reaction.

I'm running out of dart's for my mojang pic.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

I'm not too fussed, as I still haven't started a proper 1.8 world yet.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
PuppetRebel

Post by PuppetRebel »

I think people are getting ahead of themselves. He said we would see 2 new nether mobs, not all the nether changes or npcs or anything else. I guarantee it's not 1.9 or even close.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Lol! Oh well, so much for getting BTW updated to 1.8 anytime soon :)
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

When notch said he wanted to help some moders out...what did he really mean by that?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

walker_boh_65 wrote:When notch said he wanted to help some moders out...what did he really mean by that?
Well, I won't begrudge Notch for putting out rapid updates. I just find the whole situation rather amusing :)
Lighthouse

Post by Lighthouse »

walker_boh_65 wrote:I thought 1.9 was supposed to have NPC's, if it does, then why make it two releases, which makes me think it will be a 1.8.3 or something similar.
I think after such huge update makes so many things broken, it seems they decided to go back for smaller, numerous updates.
logorouge

Post by logorouge »

Ah! If that's the case, my decision not to update until 1.9 will have been a lot easier to endure than I expected.
Azdoine may have wrote:Well, we are harvesting souls [...] Sure, they get trapped in a piece of metal, but at least they get to see the world.
AmRadTheory

Post by AmRadTheory »

I'm actually surprised there haven't been more 1.8 mini updates... like some of you have said previously, vMC just seems so... so, empty without BTW. On a semi-related note, I don't know about Jeb's coding skills, as I am no expert, but I'm a fan of his. He seems to be the one busting his ass on all the new stuff, and I don't see him getting much credit. That being said, there could be a very good reason for this that Im not aware of, but I've been in a situation that seems kind of similar to his... from an outsider's perspective of course. Long story short, let's give Jeb a little love maybe?
I am rad... in theory.
Dralnalak

Post by Dralnalak »

From a Twitter post by Notch, it seems more like another "small fix/addon" type patch. He's talking about lighting bugs.

http://twitter.com/#!/notch/status/116524276739358720

I agree that I don't mind them dropping little fixes on us as long as they're improving Minecraft, though I feel bad for the folks who are trying to rebuild the tools for modding and for the modders who are going to get even more whining about "why haven't you updated?"

Hopefully they really will release a decent API for Minecraft and the various iterations won't break everything completely.
MagusUnion

Post by MagusUnion »

Last edited by MagusUnion on Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not trying to come off as strong as I do. It's hard for me to personally see how I'm affecting others (even in real like).. and it makes me seem more of an ass than I want to be, so I apologize if you find what I say 'a bit rough'...
gftweek

Post by gftweek »

MagusUnion wrote:I really think Notch has lost his vision, or is pushing this update out to cock-block modders who were successful in updating to 1.8... I don't understand why he expects people to like (in lack of better terms) half-ass content, and call it a complete game... sure, big name companies get away with this all the time, but what makes HIM think that such philosophy is ok to practice in the first place?

If the mods aren't given a decent chance to update properly, then I won't upgrade to ANY version Notch puts out... idc how much work Jeb has had to bust his ass for them, these updates are unfair to the whole modding community who has to play catch up to him each and every time he throw a handful of new things to vMC (which ironically add nothing worth of game play value, but just new crap to clog the .jar's even further..)

(Note: I know this makes me sound bat shit angry, but I'm not trying to be verbally obscene for no reason. This kinds of things are one of the very few pet peeves that I have, so I apologize for the offence some may have with this...)
You make it sound like he's doing it on purpose. Notch is in a catch 22 with this, if he doesn't release patches people complain about the bugs, when he does they complain it breaks the mods!

Mojang does not yet officially support modding (even if they appreciate some of the cool mods people make and would like to support them in future), so bug fixes are far more important than allowing modders to catch up.
MagusUnion

Post by MagusUnion »

gftweek wrote: You make it sound like he's doing it on purpose. Notch is in a catch 22 with this, if he doesn't release patches people complain about the bugs, when he does they complain it breaks the mods!

Mojang does not yet officially support modding (even if they appreciate some of the cool mods people make and would like to support them in future), so bug fixes are far more important than allowing modders to catch up.
I do think he is partly doing it on purpose, because he doesn't support modding as of yet (or if he will).... I understand the bug fixing, but why add new (and possibly buggy) material on top of that? Doesn't make sense to create more problems if you are attempting to fix them...

Plus, the ONLY mod so far that he has 'liked' has been Pistons, which seemingly is because it doesn't break anything of his original design for 'his' type of gameplay... So I do think he doesn't want modding in Minecraft because it 'destroys' the vision he planned for the game..

Idk why he still calls this thing a game... might as well make like Valve and release MC as a Java Environment Engine like what Valve did with Source... I'm sure Mojang can still make killer cash flow instead of restricting game design like it seems like he's doing now...
Last edited by MagusUnion on Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not trying to come off as strong as I do. It's hard for me to personally see how I'm affecting others (even in real like).. and it makes me seem more of an ass than I want to be, so I apologize if you find what I say 'a bit rough'...
Brethern

Post by Brethern »

MagusUnion wrote:
gftweek wrote: You make it sound like he's doing it on purpose. Notch is in a catch 22 with this, if he doesn't release patches people complain about the bugs, when he does they complain it breaks the mods!

I do think he is partly doing it on purpose, because he doesn't support modding as of yet (or if he will).... I understand the bug fixing, but why add new (and possibly buggy) material on top of that? Doesn't make sense to create more problems if you are attempting to fix them...

Plus, the ONLY mod so far that he has 'liked' has been Pistons, which seemingly is because it doesn't break anything of his original design for 'his' type of gameplay... So I do think he doesn't want modding in Minecraft because it 'destroys' the vision he planned for the game...

Idk why he still calls this thing a game... might as well make like Valve and release MC as a Java Environment Engine like what Valve did with Source... I'm sure Mojang can still make killer cash flow instead of restricting game design like it seems like he's doing now...
I do recall that he did like BTW, and yes it's not his game anymore. Maybe he he'd stop tickling the 12 YO MCF's and focus we would not be having this conversation.
gftweek

Post by gftweek »

MagusUnion wrote:Plus, the ONLY mod so far that he has 'liked' has been Pistons, which seemingly is because it doesn't break anything of his original design for 'his' type of gameplay... So I do think he doesn't want modding in Minecraft because it 'destroys' the vision he planned for the game...
I do agree partially about the vision of the game, it is why he seldom looks at mods and is probably why he (I assume) is not going to de-obfuscate the source for modders till the full release, but if he implemented every mod that took his fancy gameplay balance would be impossible and performance and bug fixing would be a nightmare.

Not wanting to inflame this, but he has also implemented smooth lighting, partial support for high res textures (well jeb did and it doesn't support animations), and possibly some others (baby animals was supposed to be implemented partially for animal breeding), plus Notch has publically promoted BTW, the Tornado Mod, The Ather, and several others.
finite8

Post by finite8 »

MagusUnion wrote:

Plus, the ONLY mod so far that he has 'liked' has been Pistons, which seemingly is because it doesn't break anything of his original design for 'his' type of gameplay... So I do think he doesn't want modding in Minecraft because it 'destroys' the vision he planned for the game...

Ahem.... i checked out BTW because Notch recommended it. He made a huge post trying to support modding and trying to figure out how to make it happen.

Like it has been said before, It is a balance of "Perfection" vs "Creation" that i think they have done well at the moment. You are playing an unfinished product. This is why they are trying to get to an officially "Released" product. You don't build a house by starting from the bottom, then put the Carpet in, then build the walls, then wire those walls, then plaster, then paint, then furnish, then put the ceiling in.... you get where I'm going. You don't paint a picture by working from the top left corner and then across, painting each part in absolute perfection. This is how things are often done with agile methodology. Rapid prototyping is probably the best way to describe Minecraft.

If they had all sat down, established exactly how the game was going to work, lock down the specifications and work through from start to finish, then maybe you have a point. Notch had no idea what was going to happen with Minecraft when he first started it. He's only human, give him a break! If he did it the way you say it should be done, you shouldn't be playing it now. I know its an age-old response to the "Fix the Bugs" criticism but... it's a Beta product that you purchased at a cheaper rate under the fair consideration that you are using an unfinished product that my contain numerous bugs.

If you don't like that scenario, don't buy it.
If you didn't realise that was the scenario, you should have read the agreement.
If you did read the agreement and it didn't mention this, you have a reason to be pissed off.
If there wasn't an agreement when you purchased it, then this is a really big problem.
Flowerchild (IRC) wrote:I'm not trying to stop you BTW ..., I'm saying that I think you're a piece of shit...not the same thing
Beemlord

Post by Beemlord »

Tbh I don't think Notch is, or should, be worried about mod support at this point. His main concern is not whether or not modders have to play catch-up, but rather finishing his game. (this is STILL the beta release if you guys have forgotten) I don't find it infuriating, nor do I condemn, Notch and the Jens for releasing another update already. I'm glad they're getting another (semi)major update out there and I'm looking forward to the new Nether mobs. Perhaps it will make our Netherrack runs a bit more interesting once BTW is able to update but until then vMC is a more than adequate time consumer. You do realize you can build up a 1.8 world and then add in BTW once it updates without breaking your world, right?
Brethern

Post by Brethern »

finite8 wrote:
MagusUnion wrote:

Ahem.... i checked out BTW because Notch recommended it. He made a huge post trying to support modding and trying to figure out how to make it happen.

Like it has been said before, It is a balance of "Perfection" vs "Creation" that i think they have done well at the moment. You are playing an unfinished product. This is why they are trying to get to an officially "Released" product. You don't build a house by starting from the bottom, then put the Carpet in, then build the walls, then wire those walls, then plaster, then paint, then furnish, then put the ceiling in.... you get where I'm going. You don't paint a picture by working from the top left corner and then across, painting each part in absolute perfection. This is how things are often done with agile methodology. Rapid prototyping is probably the best way to describe Minecraft.

If they had all sat down, established exactly how the game was going to work, lock down the specifications and work through from start to finish, then maybe you have a point. Notch had no idea what was going to happen with Minecraft when he first started it. He's only human, give him a break! If he did it the way you say it should be done, you shouldn't be playing it now. I know its an age-old response to the "Fix the Bugs" criticism but... it's a Beta product that you purchased at a cheaper rate under the fair consideration that you are using an unfinished product that my contain numerous bugs.

If you didn't realise that was the scenario, you should have read the agreement.
If you did read the agreement and it didn't mention this, you have a reason to be pissed off.
If there wasn't an agreement when you purchased it, then this is a really big problem.
I'm not concerned with the fact that I bought a beta game, I'm not happy with the changes which is a right I have as a consumer. And as far as I am concerned a beta tester.

As far as the changes, someone will make a mod that removes them. I'm working on getting rid of that fog. If the MCF were easier to deal with it would probably be gone by now.
finite8

Post by finite8 »

Brethern wrote:
finite8 wrote:
MagusUnion wrote:

I'm not concerned with the fact that I bought a beta game, I'm not happy with the changes which is a right I have as a consumer. And as far as I am concerned a beta tester.

As far as the changes, someone will make a mod that removes them. I'm working on getting rid of that fog. If the MCF were easier to deal with it would probably be gone by now.
Press Alt-F4... gets rid of the fog. :)
Flowerchild (IRC) wrote:I'm not trying to stop you BTW ..., I'm saying that I think you're a piece of shit...not the same thing
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

MagusUnion wrote:I really think Notch has lost his vision, or is pushing this update out to cock-block modders who were successful in updating to 1.8... I don't understand why he expects people to like (in lack of better terms) half-ass content, and call it a complete game... sure, big name companies get away with this all the time, but what makes HIM think that such philosophy is ok to practice in the first place?

If the mods aren't given a decent chance to update properly, then I won't upgrade to ANY version Notch puts out... idc how much work Jeb has had to bust his ass for them, these updates are unfair to the whole modding community who has to play catch up to him each and every time he throw a handful of new things to vMC (which ironically add nothing worth of game play value, but just new crap to clog the .jar's even further..)

(Note: I know this makes me sound bat shit angry, but I'm not trying to be verbally obscene for no reason. This kinds of things are one of the very few pet peeves that I have, so I apologize for the offence some may have with this...)
He has never called it a complete game. Notch has had this vision for the direction of Minecraft for a long time. First he did the engine bits, now he's working on the gameplay for the game he wanted to make. We may or may not agree with what he does but it is the right of the game designer/producers to dictate the direction of the project. All your beta purchase entitles you to is access to the early versions of the game. You would need to actually own a chunk of Mojang stock to have any say in their activities. This sort of comment is exactly what FC was talking about when he discussed donations in the interview. Offering money to the person or persons doing the work does not give you the right to tell them what to do. It only gives you the right to not give them more money in the future.

You do have the right to be upset with Notch, even if the reason you're upset is that he's trying to complete an unfinished game. Voicing it, on the other hand, is the sort of thing that resulted in this forum as an alternative to the official Minecraft boards. In the meantime you've got the solution. Just don't update. You can even save your .jar, update to 1.8 to generate the new biomes, terrain, etc and then replace it with your old 1.7 .jar so you can use all your existing mods.
Better is the enemy of Good
MagusUnion

Post by MagusUnion »

k
grimper12341

Post by grimper12341 »

finite8 wrote:it's a Beta product that you purchased at a cheaper rate
Holy crap someone besides me actually remembered that :D

Puts a cork in all the "we paid for this so it has to be perfect" people ^^
gftweek

Post by gftweek »

Hmm:
notch Markus Persson
Designing a villager mob. They won't do much in 1.9, but at least they will spawn with (new) villages.
This tweet almost convinces me that the release (or leak of the release) today will be 1.9, but that 1.9 will not be the end of the adventure updates. It sounds like we are getting partially implemented NPC's, nether ruins, some new mobs, and new biomes. I don't see skills, AI, sound changes or boss mobs yet though, hopefully there will be alchemy though.