Godhood SMP Server - In Planning

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves

How should god cycling work?

Gods are changed every week or 2, nothing else changes
14%
Gods are changed every week or 2, and citizens move to a new location
14%
Gods are changed every week or 2, and the map is reset
No votes
Gods are persistent until the story plays itself to an end, then the world and gods are changed
71%

Total votes: 21
BinoAl

Godhood SMP Server - In Planning

Post by BinoAl »

Well, godhood was a very fun game. I was thinking about how I could turn it into an actual video game. However, I got the idea to make an SMP server to simulate the experience. I'm currently sorting out the details, and once bukkit updates, ill either try to combine iConomy and Permissions to create an act system, and change peoples ranks between god (Can use iConomy to buy blocks(with acts) to build something in the world, or even just give to the citizens), Citizen (the basic person, will play mostly as normal, but keeping in mind that they can empower gods by building monuments to them and possibly get things in return) and GM (Most likely me usually), who will give acts to gods, and keep everything organized overall. There will be a thread on the forum to keep a story going (totally optional for citizens to get involved in, and strongly recommended for gods) and keep track of past actions. So, does anyone have any feedback, questions, concerns, etc? I'm trying to iron out all the issues and get a solid plan going before i either use existing plugins or possibly make my own to provide this functionality.
Last edited by BinoAl on Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Noodlerex

Re: Godhood SMP Server - In Planning

Post by Noodlerex »

More of an idea than anything but is there anyway to restrict people item usage e.g Everyone, civilians and gods, can plant trees but only the nature god can use bonemeal
FlowerChild wrote: Never trust a bronie.
Deepsniper

Post by Deepsniper »

If you do it im in. Should be fun with 1.8
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

is there any way to limit who can spawn what type of block, or is it entirely up to honesty?

EDIT: i am also trying to make myself as the weather god as a minecraft skin, to limited luck, if anyone is really good at that type of stuff, could you PM me?
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

walker_boh_65 wrote:is there any way to limit who can spawn what type of block, or is it entirely up to honesty?

EDIT: i am also trying to make myself as the weather god as a minecraft skin, to limited luck, if anyone is really good at that type of stuff, could you PM me?
I figured I'd leave it up to honesty. I can see the command history anyway. I don't want to limit the gods TOO much, but if a fire god is spawning water blocks, then that's not cool. Also, I'm pretty good at MC skins. If you get me a reference picture, I can hook you up :D

Also, I'm getting more ideas. The weather god probably can't spawn many blocks. However, since the server will be modded, i may tie iConomy in with some commands. The weather god might be able to create lightning strikes, cause rain, etc at the expense of acts. I still have to see the limits of iConomy's versatility, and look at other currency mods to see if any will work better.
Noodlerex wrote:More of an idea than anything but is there anyway to restrict people item usage e.g Everyone, civilians and gods, can plant trees but only the nature god can use bonemeal
I probably can, but I wouldn't want to. I want the citizens to be able to do everything they can in other smp servers, to try and lessen the effect of "I wanna be god! i won't play if I'm not!"
Rugaard

Post by Rugaard »

interesting idea, i think ill give it a go when you start it, if i can get myself off of eve XD
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

BinoAl wrote: Also, I'm pretty good at MC skins. If you get me a reference picture, I can hook you up :D
I was trying to do it off of the picture Triskelli drew of my god
BinoAl wrote:Also, I'm getting more ideas. The weather god probably can't spawn many blocks. However, since the server will be modded, i may tie iConomy in with some commands. The weather god might be able to create lightning strikes, cause rain, etc at the expense of acts.
and fly, us weather gods like to fly...oh! it just hit me that the weather god would be able to spawn in snow blocks
Katalliaan

Post by Katalliaan »

That's a good idea, walker, seeing as how there's no cold biomes in 1.8.

Couple questions:
Is it going to be a fresh world (IE just use whatever Minecraft gives)?
Will the citizens be playing as Atrium's races or as something else (like humans)?
Open in case of fire
Spoiler
Show
Not now stupid - in case of fire
diegokilla

Post by diegokilla »

Let me know if you need any help with the bukkit or just setting up the server in general, I've been an avid bukkit server host since bukkit was released :)
sargunv
Site Admin

Post by sargunv »

If you guys have an "Earth" god, you could use Voxelsniper for terrain editing.
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

walker_boh_65 wrote:
BinoAl wrote: Also, I'm pretty good at MC skins. If you get me a reference picture, I can hook you up :D
I was trying to do it off of the picture Triskelli drew of my god
BinoAl wrote:Also, I'm getting more ideas. The weather god probably can't spawn many blocks. However, since the server will be modded, i may tie iConomy in with some commands. The weather god might be able to create lightning strikes, cause rain, etc at the expense of acts.
and fly, us weather gods like to fly...oh! it just hit me that the weather god would be able to spawn in snow blocks
Haha alright, ill do it when i get back from work tonight. Also, i think I'll allow all gods to fly, with no cost. It seems like a very god-like thing to do :p Also, if i recall, theres a command in bukkit (maybe worldedit, I'll have to check) that makes it "snow on all blocks" within a certain radius. That will be lower cost than spawning the snow blocks :D
Katalliaan wrote:That's a good idea, walker, seeing as how there's no cold biomes in 1.8.

Couple questions:
Is it going to be a fresh world (IE just use whatever Minecraft gives)?
Will the citizens be playing as Atrium's races or as something else (like humans)?
The citizens will just play as humans. The only real monster spawning that will be possible is from a god of life, and they can spawn farm animals and monsters.
diegokilla wrote:Let me know if you need any help with the bukkit or just setting up the server in general, I've been an avid bukkit server host since bukkit was released :)
Nah, I've always been the one in my group of friends to host a server. I might need some advice on server hosting services though, because my computer can't host 24/7, I'll only use my computer for the testing stages.
sargunster wrote:If you guys have an "Earth" god, you could use Voxelsniper for terrain editing.
I was just planning on going with worldedit, i know it a lot better, and will be able to set it up with iConomy/permissions a lot quicker/better
Triskelli

Post by Triskelli »

Be sure to count me in if this ever gets set up! =]
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

Triskelli wrote:Be sure to count me in if this ever gets set up! =]
how do we know this isnt one of your tricks =P
BinoAl wrote:The only real monster spawning that will be possible is from a god of life, and they can spawn farm animals and monsters.
so all spawning would be turned off? that could add for an interesting game
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

walker_boh_65 wrote:
Triskelli wrote:Be sure to count me in if this ever gets set up! =]
how do we know this isnt one of your tricks =P
BinoAl wrote:The only real monster spawning that will be possible is from a god of life, and they can spawn farm animals and monsters.
so all spawning would be turned off? that could add for an interesting game
Er, i guess i worded that badly :p In fact, thinking about it, i may give even more monster spawning commands to the god of life/nature/whatever. As in, temporarily stop monster spawns for 1 night, double passive mob spawns for a while, etc. I think I'll also find some way of limiting communication between citizens and gods. Citizens can talk and gods can hear them, but gods have to leave signs, hints, etc. It will most likely end up as citizens and gods attempting to work together as closely as possible, and try and create a flourishing world
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

I've been looking at some buttik stuff and these might be good if updated of course, i cant tell if they are or arent
http://forums.bukkit.org/threads/admn-m ... 1060.1097/for all that fun godly stuff

http://dev.bukkit.org/server-mods/multiverse-core/could be fun to have each god have their own little realm to be travel through by the pantheon (permissions and costs in to go through, along with mob spawning options in each world) could make each world using this custom seed listhttps://github.com/Herocraft/Multiverse ... or-Plugins there arent many that i have seen, but the null terrain could work quite nicely.
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

Hm, some of the commands in the god plugin could be useful. I just have to find a way to tie them in with iConomy to charge acts per use. A god of war could spawn weapons for his soldiers, go demigod, and lead a charge >:) I do want to use just one world, separate worlds would make the lack of citizens hurt that much more, and make each god only focus on one world. Sort of like the races in that game of godhood: Everyone tried to make their race flourish, instead of trying to form a world together
Speltz

Post by Speltz »

Well, for what it's worth, I'll throw my hat into the citizen ring.

Edit: Oh, and what's the scoop with being a citizen? Pledge loyalty to a god, and make offerings to the specific god that you would like a favour from? Faction wars?
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

Speltz wrote: Edit: Oh, and what's the scoop with being a citizen? Pledge loyalty to a god, and make offerings to the specific god that you would like a favour from? Faction wars?
Generally, it will be like normal smp. You can build monuments and things to the gods, which will give them acts. There wont be any preset separation between citizens like factions, but as people shift into the favor of the gods, and gods shift out of favor of each other, there may be battles, razings, etc.
Katalliaan

Post by Katalliaan »

BinoAl wrote:
walker_boh_65 wrote:
Haha alright, ill do it when i get back from work tonight. Also, i think I'll allow all gods to fly, with no cost. It seems like a very god-like thing to do :p Also, if i recall, theres a command in bukkit (maybe worldedit, I'll have to check) that makes it "snow on all blocks" within a certain radius. That will be lower cost than spawning the snow blocks :D
It's WorldEdit - /snow, with a partner /thaw.
Speltz wrote:Well, for what it's worth, I'll throw my hat into the citizen ring.
As will I.
Open in case of fire
Spoiler
Show
sargunv
Site Admin

Post by sargunv »

I'm interested in being a citizen.
Elensaar

Post by Elensaar »

This sounds like an awesomely cool idea. I'd love to play as a citizen :)
Lots of planets have a north...!
Gdnite

Post by Gdnite »

I would love to play this as well
Zhil

Post by Zhil »

I'd love being a citizen. No intent on playing as a god though
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Speltz

Post by Speltz »

Haven't really done anything with SMP other than Vanilla worlds. What kind of mods or plugins will us Joe Blows need to grab to play? Or will all that be for the server itself?
Katalliaan

Post by Katalliaan »

Speltz wrote:Haven't really done anything with SMP other than Vanilla worlds. What kind of mods or plugins will us Joe Blows need to grab to play? Or will all that be for the server itself?
I'm pretty sure the mods will all be serverside.
Open in case of fire
Spoiler
Show