Looks like there will be Alchemy in vMC 1.9

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
gftweek

Looks like there will be Alchemy in vMC 1.9

Post by gftweek »

It has been discovered that there are potion effects built in to 1.8, but only a few of them are accessible, like cave spider poison, eating rotten flesh/raw food, or golden apples (boosts health regen rate).

This sounds like something ripe for building into mods if we can't wait till the alchemy changes Notch has hinted at, someone already made simple a SMP mod for testing it.
walker_boh_65

Re: Looks like there will be Alchemy in vMC 1.9

Post by walker_boh_65 »

alright who gave mojang this forum, i want names now! In all seriousness, im sure FC will find a way to work with it, if it is indeed implemented into the game, and he isnt trolling us by saying alchemy is coming next
Deepsniper

Post by Deepsniper »

Now let the fun begin
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

Hm, i feel like notch is taking some inspiration from terraria lately. Certainly a good thing :)
M!C

Post by M!C »

Reviving this topic instead of making a new one (title is related closely enough).

Jeb just posted:
Potions are delayed because *add to cauldron, pick up, look at tooltip, pour back into cauldron, repeat* was extremely tedious
Soo, alchemy seems to be close to completion and there is one interesting new detail:

They stole our cauldron!
Last edited by M!C on Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

M!C wrote: They stole our cauldron!
Sigh :)
Deepsniper

Post by Deepsniper »

Man just when I was almost done with my alchemy mod... back to the drawing board then...
FlowerChild wrote:
Hey FC why sigh? you could think about it this way, Your idea was so good that they "had" to use it.
M!C

Post by M!C »

Deepsniper wrote:Man just when I was almost done with my alchemy mod... back to the drawing board then...
FlowerChild wrote:
Hey FC why sigh? you could think about it this way, Your idea was so good that they "had" to use it.
Quite right but it means additional work for keeping an already established feature in the mod (which is probably not the most exciting thing to do). ;)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Well, I don't consider the general concept of a "Cauldron" my idea (it's a pretty common object after all). I sincerely doubt that their version has anything to do with the BTW one, and I would guess it's just a pot to mix potions in.

At this stage I'd suspect the most likely outcome is that I just change the name of my Cauldron to something else and everything else about it remains unchanged.
Dralnalak

Post by Dralnalak »

Or maybe they both stole it from Shakespeare?

Double, double toil and trouble
Fire burn, and caldron bubble

;)

I am looking forward the the addition of alchemy. I like being able to do things with the stuff I gather. More crafting, more options, more things you can play around with. All of these things encourage me that Minecraft will be sucking me back in for a lot of hours in the nearish future.
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

This topic now have its place in the BTW Discussion section ;)
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Honestly, I'm still trying to figure out why notch wants MC to be Terraria.

But whatever. Just got to hope that the alchemy system notch makes has some for of...logic to it, as opposed to the expected "Omg that sounds like a great effect! lets choose some of the randomly new and otherwise useless ingredients and use them for it! MONEY!"

Anyone here played The Witcher before? A system like that would be nice. Simple, yet detailed enough to stop it being incredibly boring after using it five times.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
gftweek

Post by gftweek »

Stormweaver wrote:Honestly, I'm still trying to figure out why notch wants MC to be Terraria.

But whatever. Just got to hope that the alchemy system notch makes has some for of...logic to it, as opposed to the expected "Omg that sounds like a great effect! lets choose some of the randomly new and otherwise useless ingredients and use them for it! MONEY!"

Anyone here played The Witcher before? A system like that would be nice. Simple, yet detailed enough to stop it being incredibly boring after using it five times.
Pretty sure Notch had ideas about adding elements like this before Terraria was released (he talked about alchemy way back), although he admitted to liking the way they did some things and taking inspiration from it.

From what I've seen of people having discovered potions, it looks like they'll have multiple effects, like healing you but slowing your mining speed for a period.
Deepsniper

Post by Deepsniper »

As well with the way Notch has implemented potions from what I've seen in 1.8.1 It's actually fairly simple to code in potion mods. :)
Beemlord

Post by Beemlord »

Stormweaver wrote:Honestly, I'm still trying to figure out why notch wants MC to be Terraria.
I don't believe he is attempting to make it like Terraria, but the latter game has a very good gear and difficulty progression which I believe Notch could learn a great deal from. Seeing stronger enemies the further down into the earth we go would be a pretty good solution to the "this game is way too easy QQ" issue most people seem to have. Unfortunately, its not a long way from sea level to bedrock level in minecraft and can take a very short time to do and with the addition of fast ways to get to the bottom (ravines and mineshafts) would pose issues with this way of handling things.

But back on topic: I trust FCs direction with this mod and I'm very sure he will handle the addition of the cauldron in an adequate way. As for potions, they are a good thought but things like health potions will only serve to piss whiny kids off even more about how Minecraft is too easy.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

BinoAl wrote:Hm, i feel like notch is taking some inspiration from terraria lately. Certainly a good thing :)
Yeah, I really disagree with this. IMO Terreria is an adventure game with some building elements in it, while Minecraft is a building game with some adventure elements in it. That's why I got board of Terreria within a few hours of first downloading it while Minecraft still interests me.

The one thing that Minecraft does better than any other game out there IMO, is let players manipulate the world. Personally, I think Notch has lost sight of this big time, and is instead focusing on the elements of the game which other games do much better.

Focusing on the weaknesses of your design instead of its strengths is a big game-design mistake IMO. Minecraft will never be a good action/adventure game. It is however, an excellent building game.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

FlowerChild wrote:
BinoAl wrote:Hm, i feel like notch is taking some inspiration from terraria lately. Certainly a good thing :)
Yeah, I really disagree with this. IMO Terreria is an adventure game with some building elements in it, while Minecraft is a building game with some adventure elements in it. That's why I got board of Terreria within a few hours of first downloading it while Minecraft still interests me.

The one thing that Minecraft does better than any other game out there IMO, is let players manipulate the world. Personally, I think Notch has lost sight of this big time, and is instead focusing on the elements of the game which other games do much better.

Focusing on the weaknesses of your design instead of its strengths is a big game-design mistake IMO. Minecraft will never be a good action/adventure game. It is however, an excellent building game.
Bored*

These are my thoughts exactly. Terraria has a lot more 'content' than minecraft does, but it's version of the diamond reset hits a whole lot harder - once you have enough pieces of the end-game equipment there's nothing left for you to do than find bugs. Even the bosses become kinda meh little more than halfway through the game. Turning minecraft into a 3D terraria is a downgrade from what we already have imo.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
gftweek

Post by gftweek »

I see it as the more incidental things that are added that make the updates more interesting, rather than the core focus.

- added hunger? Farming now compulsory and therefore worthwhile and more interesting.
- animal breeding? New passive mob grinder designs.
- 9 new records? Now there is a reason to build a record farm.
- new mob spawners? Item grinders for alchemy.
- lava and water create smoothstone? smoothstone smelting no longer required (once you can use BTW BDs anyway)

I like the environmental changes like the new sounds, water and lava leaking, fence hit box, and the new blocks more than the new mobs or combat. I haven't found a stronghold and I'm not searching for one, probably won't bother with them much for 1.10 either!

I'm certainly not going to be going for a high score! Oh god, please don't let Notch add an online leaderboard!
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

Totaly agree on everything you said :)
Sprinting is the only "adventure" thing that seems cool.
Oh, and don't forget the new epic biomes.
gftweek

Post by gftweek »

Battosay wrote:Totaly agree on everything you said :)
Darn, knew I forgot something.

I am also vaguely interested to see what use the villagers will have, otherwise they'll just have built me a nice base to take over...hmm, that house can be the windmill, that one the chicken farm, I can use that forge to make a smoothstone factory...oh hello Mr Testificate, just looking around...replace that farm with an animal breeding pen...
Magmarashi

Post by Magmarashi »

Some more, in-depth, information on Alchemy

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/673 ... guidepics/
SCIENCE!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

I do like the biomes, I must admit, but without knowing what kind of work went into them, I can't really say if they were worth the cost.

Honestly, I've hardly used sprinting at all, although I only played with 1.8 for a few hours. What do you like it for Battosay? Maybe I'm missing something :)
KriiEiter

Post by KriiEiter »

FlowerChild wrote:
I do like the biomes, I must admit, but without knowing what kind of work went into them, I can't really say if they were worth the cost.

Honestly, I've hardly used sprinting at all, although I only played with 1.8 for a few hours. What do you like it for Battosay? Maybe I'm missing something :)
I used sprinting a lot to begin with until I realized that it makes your hunger meter go down dramatically quicker. So it's not great for when you're first starting a world and have no access to good food supplies.

Once you have enough food though, sprint everywhere. It's great for spelunking as you can jump a huge amount further.
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

FlowerChild wrote:

I didn't necessarily mean that notch was trying to make minecraft a lot like terraria, but he has been toying with a lot of features like those found in terraria. It may just be that notch is heading in a more adventure based direction, which i agree, is a bad design decision. As soon as he revealed he was adding the level up system, i've been facepalming frequently :p
Brethern

Post by Brethern »

BinoAl wrote:
FlowerChild wrote:

I didn't necessarily mean that notch was trying to make minecraft a lot like terraria, but he has been toying with a lot of features like those found in terraria. It may just be that notch is heading in a more adventure based direction, which i agree, is a bad design decision. As soon as he revealed he was adding the level up system, i've been facepalming frequently :p
Leveling would be fine if it was done the way dwarf fortress did it. The more levels you gain the faster you do tasks. Or like Mcmmo did it where you could get double drops and such. If you are just learning how to mine you're only going to get what you see, but the more experience you get you'll be able to recognize how much ore is in the block you just mined.