Vanilla Minecraft News Discussion

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Battosay

Re: Morvelaira's MC News Compilation

Post by Battosay »

I'm scared ...
destineternel

Post by destineternel »

upper right corner behind the logs looks like a new block of ore?
Spoiler
Show
Last edited by destineternel on Mon May 21, 2012 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<DaveYanakov> I know I overuse them and put them in inappropriate places but they just feel so good.
<icynewyear> shit is delicious
<MagikEh> Don't try to give me da D
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

"XP From Villagers: Slaying villagers with this mod will produce massive amounts of XP. In the battle against the Enderdragon, the souls of the innocent/barely-sentient are the most valuable of all!"

It still says they do in the OP on MCF. Although it makes sense that he may remove that eventually. I'm not confident in Jeb's ability to not wreck the game by doing this. They've already added iron golems which are farmable for ridiculous amounts of iron.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

destineternel wrote:upper right corner behind the logs looks like a new block of ore?
Maybe the money comes from an ore? Like it's rubies maybe?
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

Sarudak wrote:
destineternel wrote:upper right corner behind the logs looks like a new block of ore?
Maybe the money comes from an ore? Like it's rubies maybe?
Looks like an arrow in a log to me.
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

SterlingRed wrote:Looks like an arrow in a log to me.
No, the red stuff, behind the log
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

Yeah, that's obviously a new money.
And again, that's really scary.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Battosay wrote:Yeah, that's obviously a new money.
Hehe...yeah, I think you see the same potential for Equivalent Exchange being built into vanilla that I do here ;)
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Cash ore. Great.

@FC: I find myself agreeing.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
destineternel

Post by destineternel »

FlowerChild wrote:
Hehe...yeah, I think you see the same potential for Equivalent Exchange being built into vanilla that I do here ;)

no! no! no!
<DaveYanakov> I know I overuse them and put them in inappropriate places but they just feel so good.
<icynewyear> shit is delicious
<MagikEh> Don't try to give me da D
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

FlowerChild wrote:
Once again you have articulated the vast, wordless horror that I felt here. Don't get me wrong - in certain settings EE is fun and interesting. Like specific challenge maps, etc. But not in just random survival mode.
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
RaustBlackDragon

Post by RaustBlackDragon »

FlowerChild wrote:
...Hey... Know what you could do FC? If this really winds up having EE-esque abuse potential in the end, what if you modified villagers to nerf them to, oh, I don't know, have limited funds to buy things, and be unwilling to buy more than a few different types of things?

Aside from the obvious inside joke, this would make it so that true EE-esque abuse would only be achievable by having a massive transport network joining multiple villages together, each outfitted with defense mechanisms to keep the villagers that buy/sell the goods you have/need from being killed.

Just thought I'd throw that out there ;)
What's the price of freedom now?
Can you cut me a deal?
A crate of wholesale liberty,
or a justice combo meal?
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

RaustBlackDragon wrote:...Hey... Know what you could do FC? If this really winds up having EE-esque abuse potential in the end, what if you modified villagers to nerf them to, oh, I don't know, have limited funds to buy things, and be unwilling to buy more than a few different types of things?
^This slayed me. Absolutely cracked up laughing hard. I cried even.

As for the rest of it - it's a bit premature to speculate since we don't even really know wtf is going on. But... it appeals to my nature. I may or may not be an economics maven in other games. >.>
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
Gormador

Post by Gormador »

I don't no, maybe villagers selling chicken makes sens if they have a chicken coop , same for the wheat as they already have some wheat farms...

What I would prefer is something like not being able to acquire specific items other than by this trade thingy. For example, new items (that make sens in the game, obviously (I love troll)), or even old items which crafting recipes would be removed.

This feature definitely have some great potential.
What I say is that in Thursday's snapshot it will most certainly be "crap-like", but /might/ be improved after that.

At least I hope so.
FlowerChild wrote:If you have a suggestion, I recommend that it have pure manna from heaven flowing forth from its vagina to warrant posting it at this point in time.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

FlowerChild wrote: Hehe...yeah, I think you see the same potential for Equivalent Exchange being built into vanilla that I do here ;)
This is exactly my fear.
Husbag3

Post by Husbag3 »

I sure hope this isn't a world gen change and they're just trolling us...
If the minecraft world is infinite, why does the sun still rotate around it?
Itamarcu

Post by Itamarcu »

One leather armor - 4 rubies.
Pants - 3.5 rubies.
Mask - 2.5 rubies.

Dung is free, usually. So a breeding harness should cost...10 rubies?
You know what you should read? Worm. Here you go: https://parahumans.wordpress.com/catego ... tion/1-01/
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

itamarcu wrote:One leather armor - 4 rubies.
Pants - 3.5 rubies.
Mask - 2.5 rubies.

Dung is free, usually. So a breeding harness should cost...10 rubies?
Don't start, it's been a while since I had a chance to swing the banhammer ;)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

If I were a gambling man (which I am), I'd put my money on this eliminating the scarcity of all vanilla resources.

When you look at the recent design trends in MC, you see that everything is becoming easier, and this fits Jeb's stated design policy of catering to popularism.

This responds to "what if I don't like mining?" type questions from players. Well, now you trade for everything instead and never have to go below ground. Which pretty much means mining will no longer be part of the game.

Luckily, the mod is largely dependent on its own set of resources for the most part, which I most definitely will not make tradeable by villagers. Luckily, as stated elsewhere I've also taken design decisions to isolate the mod relative to those made in vanilla. What I'm seeing here is just validating that decision further.

So yeah, most likely will suck for vanilla, but hopefully the damage to the mod will be minimal.
Pants - 3.5 rubies.
Mask - 2.5 rubies.
Saying "fuck this" and completely isolating your mod's design from that of vanilla: priceless.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

FlowerChild wrote:If I were a gambling man (which I am), I'd put my money on this eliminating the scarcity of all vanilla resources.

When you look at the recent design trends in MC, you see that everything is becoming easier, and this fits Jeb's stated design policy of catering to popularism.

This responds to "what if I don't like mining?" type questions from players. Well, now you trade for everything instead and never have to go below ground. Which pretty much means mining will no longer be part of the game.

Luckily, the mod is largely dependent on its own set of resources for the most part, which I most definitely will not make tradeable by villagers. Luckily, as stated elsewhere I've also taken design decisions to isolate the mod relative to those made in vanilla. What I'm seeing here is just validating that decision further.

So yeah, most likely will suck for vanilla, but hopefully the damage to the mod will be minimal.
Pants - 3.5 rubies.
Mask - 2.5 rubies.
Saying "fuck this" and completely isolating your mod's design from that of vanilla: priceless.
So it IS a new dimension!
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

I don't think it will be as bad as you guys fear (I hope)

We have very little information at this point to speculate on, so don't lose your minds just yet :P

I really don't think jeb will be as stupid as implementing a form of EE in vanilla.
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

MoRmEnGiL wrote: I really don't think jeb will be as stupid as implementing a form of EE in vanilla.
I would like to present exhibit A: the chests that exist in villages that contain the rarest resources found in the game.

Extrapolate from there, and I think it's pretty easy to see where this is going.
Gormador

Post by Gormador »

FlowerChild wrote:
MoRmEnGiL wrote: I really don't think jeb will be as stupid as implementing a form of EE in vanilla.
I would like to present exhibit A: the chests that exist in villages that contain the rarest resources found in the game.

Extrapolate from there, and I think it's pretty easy to see where this is going.
Please let us, foolish naïve people, have some hope.
Until Thursday at least.
After that you will have all the right to use your spiky armor to remind us that hoping for the best for minecraft is just stupid now.
Please :-)
FlowerChild wrote:If you have a suggestion, I recommend that it have pure manna from heaven flowing forth from its vagina to warrant posting it at this point in time.
RaustBlackDragon

Post by RaustBlackDragon »

FlowerChild wrote:

I seem to remember that was Notch's idea, but the original intention was that taking from it would cause the villagers to go apesh*t on you, which I think could have potentially balanced it out.

Also, hopefully at the very least the buy/sell rate won't be 1 to 1, as it almost never is in RPGs, so at least it won't be JUST like EE in that regard.
What's the price of freedom now?
Can you cut me a deal?
A crate of wholesale liberty,
or a justice combo meal?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

RaustBlackDragon wrote:Also, hopefully at the very least the buy/sell rate won't be 1 to 1, as it almost never is in RPGs, so at least it won't be JUST like EE in that regard.
Doesn't really matter man. Combine it with an automation system that produces just about anything, and it'll add up to an infinite supply of diamonds.

Anyways, as others have said, we can't be certain this is the direction it will take, but just seeing that one interface screen, and several other of Jeb's previous design-decisions, is enough for me to be sufficiently confident to start basing my own design decisions around it.