Vanilla Minecraft News Discussion

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Urian

Re: Morvelaira's MC News Compilation

Post by Urian »

I might find it fun if we ever get a way to create sand from e.g. cobble but as it is now I use way too much sandstone and glass in my buildings to set up anywhere except in a desert if I used large biomes and that would get boring very quickly with all the yellow. The biomes are they are now are perhaps still a bit small but I can live with it, I'd rather see a way for them to be logically arranged so that they would e.g. go from snowy->taiga->forest->plains->desert or something else that might make more sense if you'd take temperature and climate into consideration (my current world has a desert surrounded by a jungle, a snow biome and a forest, makes for good variation but feels a bit weird).
FlowerChild: Ice in deserts is a good idea
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Urian wrote:The biomes are they are now are perhaps still a bit small but I can live with it, I'd rather see a way for them to be logically arranged so that they would e.g. go from snowy->taiga->forest->plains->desert or something else that might make more sense if you'd take temperature and climate into consideration (my current world has a desert surrounded by a jungle, a snow biome and a forest, makes for good variation but feels a bit weird).
...but you want ice in your desert.
Urian

Post by Urian »

FlowerChild wrote: ...but you want ice in your desert.
Shush you, the ice is symbolic in nature and signifies the slippery slope that any minecraft physics work on!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Urian wrote: Shush you, the ice is symbolic in nature and signifies the slippery slope that any minecraft physics work on!
<grumble grumble>

I think I need to go purchase a bottle of whiskey :)
Urian

Post by Urian »

FlowerChild wrote: <grumble grumble>

I think I need to go purchase a bottle of whiskey :)
Now that's just bad planning. Always keep a few bottles at home, it's usually on rainy days you need them! :)
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

Apologies if I sounded passive agressive in the other locked topic, it wasn't my intention honestly.

I guess we just have different views on what is an exploit and what isn't, but honestly I'm sorry for sounding like that.
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

MoRmEnGiL wrote:Apologies if I sounded passive agressive in the other locked topic, it wasn't my intention honestly.

I guess we just have different views on what is an exploit and what isn't, but honestly I'm sorry for sounding like that.
No worries man. Booze solves everything :)
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

Cheers then :]

On topic, from what I hear, if you enable starting chests, in the new snapshot the chest will be surrounded by torches (if there is a solid block in the ground next to it).

I guess this is a great addition for LP'ers as the initial rituals are VERY tedious once you've seen a couple of lps or played yourself a couple of new worlds, and being able to light immediately that first hole they dig is good, as youtube already darkens most videos.

Outside of that, I still find the whole starting chest thing extremely trivial, as all it does is save you 15 mins max.
War..
War never changes.

Catox

Post by Catox »

MoRmEnGiL wrote:I guess this is a great addition for LP'ers as the initial rituals are VERY tedious once you've seen a couple of lps or played yourself a couple of new worlds (...)
That would mean we wouldn't have to fulminate watching most of them gather dozens of wood with bare hands or craft all sorts of wooden tools when they could go straight to stone tools and have all that process a lot less tedious.

I guess that would be nice. ^_^
TheAnarchitect

Post by TheAnarchitect »

Finally the feature makes sense. It's for Let's Plays.
The infinitely extendable Pottery system
Real Life is an Anarchy Server.
embirrim

Post by embirrim »

TheAnarchitect wrote:Finally the feature makes sense. It's for Let's Plays.
You mean we've finally found some sense for the feature.
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

I really like the look of this larger biomes thing. I was hoping for at least double the size but this is just amazing. I've always really detested being able to see six different climate bands from the middle of even a large desert. Now if they just included an option to spread out the actual formations a bit more so that mountain and hill biomes would have actual valleys rather than above ground ravines. Does anyone know of a terrain generator that does such a thing?
Better is the enemy of Good
mr_spoonylegs

Post by mr_spoonylegs »

Meh.
To be honest, I think that the size of the biomes is the lest of mincrafts worries, they should try implementing more
biomes. we have yet to see a volcanic biome. sure size sounds great but its not really what Minecraft needs.
"My friends call me Spoonlegs"
And yes, I drew it myself.
Katalliaan

Post by Katalliaan »

Not sure how easy it'd be for them to do a volcano. It's difficult enough creating them by hand; for there to be a biome for it, they'd have to be able to have it in the worldgen. That'd either lead to unusual-looking volcanoes or ones that all look the same, as if someone took a MCEdit .schematic file and just dropped them in.

Also, no snapshot this week due to a Swedish holiday.
Open in case of fire
Spoiler
Show
Not now stupid - in case of fire
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

With the new world height, they could give us more strange biomes a la giant mushroom, consisting of giant (petrified, ie no leaves, for the sake of FPS :P) trees or even give us real mountains once in a while. Bigger rivers would be cool. Generally, stuff that looks not too specific, which a volcano does. Dunno, if it was REALLY rare it might be cool, but we need more bread and butter biomes first.
War..
War never changes.

Husbag3

Post by Husbag3 »

I don't think I want any more wolrd gen changes that aren't optioinal because of world map errors that can occur.
If the minecraft world is infinite, why does the sun still rotate around it?
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

Word.
War..
War never changes.

morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

*breaks own rule about off topic in the thread*

I just have to find it very amusing that all the tweets out of Mojang folk today are about Diablo 3. Just sayin.
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
embirrim

Post by embirrim »

morvelaira wrote:*breaks own rule about off topic in the thread*

I just have to find it very amusing that all the tweets out of Mojang folk today are about Diablo 3. Just sayin.
I'm not a Diablo player myslef, but I'm finding the forums waay to active for the release day of a game this big.
Although, from what I've been hearing, servers are down most of the time, error 37 I believe...?
Urian

Post by Urian »

In EU the servers had severe problems at launch and around end of workday on the 15th, ow it's quite fine though. We (I play it with some friends) beat the game on normal difficulty yesterday and are now working our way through nightmare :p
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Urian wrote:In EU the servers had severe problems at launch and around end of workday on the 15th, ow it's quite fine though. We (I play it with some friends) beat the game on normal difficulty yesterday and are now working our way through nightmare :p
...but you still want ice in deserts.
Nazara

Post by Nazara »

FlowerChild wrote:
Urian wrote:In EU the servers had severe problems at launch and around end of workday on the 15th, ow it's quite fine though. We (I play it with some friends) beat the game on normal difficulty yesterday and are now working our way through nightmare :p
...but you still want ice in deserts.
Frozen deserts are a real thing.

Even normal deserts tend to frost over in winter. They get quite cold at night normally, and winter just makes it worse. The intense heat characteristic of many deserts owes more to a lack of cloud cover, due to impeding nearby mountain regions, than just being in a hot region. Those exist, of course, and they certainly don't freeze over, but most desert areas in the North Americas see ice and snow when a rainy season colides with winter. Which happens yearly at least a few times.

Oh, Antartica and the Arctic are classified as desert biomes as well.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Nazara wrote: Frozen deserts are a real thing.

Even normal deserts tend to frost over in winter. They get quite cold at night normally, and winter just makes it worse. The intense heat characteristic of many deserts owes more to a lack of cloud cover, due to impeding nearby mountain regions, than just being in a hot region. Those exist, of course, and they certainly don't freeze over, but most desert areas in the North Americas see ice and snow when a rainy season colides with winter. Which happens yearly at least a few times.

This could go many ways. I think I'll arbitrarily just choose to say:

Sigh.
Nazara

Post by Nazara »

FlowerChild wrote:
Nazara wrote: Frozen deserts are a real thing.

This could go many ways. I think I'll arbitrarily just choose to say:

Sigh.
:shrug:

I know things and like to share them. Knowledge is power and all that sort of stuff.

It's easy to see it was some sort of inside thing, but there are actually people floating around that honestly think deserts have to be sweltering hot things or that they can't border certain other regions for some reason.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Nazara wrote: I know things and like to share them. Knowledge is power and all that sort of stuff.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cliff_Clavin