Dwarf Fortress: Noob(ish) observations

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
Rasuth

Re: Dwarf Fortress: Noob(ish) observations

Post by Rasuth »

Flowerchild wrote:Honestly, I think most people would have just decided to create an entirely separate mod at this point, but I've planned out ways to integrate it into what is already there, even if it makes everything else feel like it was just an extended tutorial in preparation for the real game ;)
Holy fuck. You really know how to tease...
TaterBoy wrote:Well, now I know. And as GI-Joe says, knowing is half the battle. :)
The other half is violence.
Unless you're GI Socrates. Then the other half is "You don't know anything
- TheAnarchitect
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

FlowerChild wrote:Honestly, I think most people would have just decided to create an entirely separate mod at this point, but I've planned out ways to integrate it into what is already there, even if it makes everything else feel like it was just an extended tutorial in preparation for the real game ;)

Well, BTW as it is right now does play like that - for new users to the mod (with no outside influences) the tech tree atm introduces an idea, provides a suitably awkward method for accomplishing the idea, and as such teaches you how it works. Then the mod gives you a new tool which makes automating the first bit easier, etc. Then at the end we're giving the powertools of the mod to go back and remake everything properly, to stock up on resources for whatever the hell comes next.

...and I'm guessing some form of hell is coming next, making it all rather apt. And me glad that I've put off writing anything solid for endgame yet, since I see this new update putting a whole new brand of perspective on things.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Stormweaver wrote: Well, BTW as it is right now does play like that - for new users to the mod (with no outside influences) the tech tree atm introduces an idea, provides a suitably awkward method for accomplishing the idea, and as such teaches you how it works. Then the mod gives you a new tool which makes automating the first bit easier, etc. Then at the end we're giving the powertools of the mod to go back and remake everything properly, to stock up on resources for whatever the hell comes next.
Yup, that's how I'm largely looking at it.

"Ok, so now you know how everything (more or less) works. Now we play." :)
Poppycocks

Post by Poppycocks »

I swear to bring all of your efforts to make my mc a challenge to play to ruin - legit. Just try me.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Now you've gone and got me really curious...
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Sarudak wrote:Now you've gone and got me really curious...

Hehe...good :)
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

Oh god. I'm scared/excited. So many spoilers! :D
*morvystylesquee*
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

FlowerChild wrote:"Ok, so now you know how everything (more or less) works. Now we play." :)
I figured as much.

I just hope I can get enough soap and steel stockpiled before the real game begins.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Stormweaver wrote: I just hope I can get enough soap and steel stockpiled before the real game begins.
Now that's some foresight. Having soap on hand makes the steel blocks so much easier to insert :)
BinoAl wrote:Oh god. I'm scared/excited. So many spoilers! :D
*morvystylesquee*
Hehe...and true to form, here I am dropping the hints in an off-topic Dwarf Fortress thread where only some people will ever come across them :)
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Ow... 1 cubic meter... Ow... One freakin cubic meter man!
TaterBoy

Post by TaterBoy »

So, I have a few questions.
For someone like me who is not at all computer literate (i.e. no ability to program) would I still be able to make DF an enjoyable game in my own way? Or does it require a sizable amount of programming know-how?

I read about DF in the same magazine in which I first learned of Minecraft, saw the somewhat daunting ASCII UI and thought, "I shouldn't even try, this would probably go way over my head." But one thing I like in any game is never running out of options of things to do or ways to do those things, so just reading about it in this thread kind of makes me want to play it now. :)

So what would you all recommend I do first, before even downloading the game? Or should I just jump in headfirst and have those two guides at my side that FlowerChild linked?

(and as an aside, I just wanted to say that while I would seriously miss BTW if somehow it became unplayable, I would without question become just as addicted to the game/games you would create in the future.)
Cthulhu for President: It's not the right choice, it's the only choice.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

TaterBoy wrote: So what would you all recommend I do first, before even downloading the game? Or should I just jump in headfirst and have those two guides at my side that FlowerChild linked?
Download the Lazy Newb pack found here:

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=59026.0

Turn on a graphic tile-set (I use Phoebus), and go to town.
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

BinoAl wrote:Oh god. I'm scared/excited. So many spoilers! :D
*morvystylesquee*
I'm pleased the squee is catching on.

Beyond that, I've just got to say - FlowerChild... not this weekend but the one after that I'll be in California. It's a trip I've been planning for a few months now. I'll probably even get to meet RenEvo while I'm there. I come back home April 9th.

Guess what event coming up soon I'm more excited about? :P *omgsquee*
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
Katalliaan

Post by Katalliaan »

TaterBoy, you don't need to be a programmer to enjoy DF; there's no programming involved in terms of playing it. I'd say dig up the thread where we started to discuss the game, as there's a few useful resources mentioned there (tutorials, graphical packs that make it clear what something is, and tools like Dwarf Therapist). I'd say that you would be best off grabbing the Lazy Newb pack, gen a world, and read a bit of the basics while it's making your first world.
Open in case of fire
Spoiler
Show
Not now stupid - in case of fire
orangeweaver

Post by orangeweaver »

Shit I just realized I get back home on the 9th too. I can't fucking wait for this update. I just got home from a double and am dead tired but I might have to pop into my world and just see what I have going on, get everything in order a little before I pass out.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

orangeweaver wrote:Shit I just realized I get back home on the 9th too. I can't fucking wait for this update. I just got home from a double and am dead tired but I might have to pop into my world and just see what I have going on, get everything in order a little before I pass out.
I think I made it pretty obvious with the last update, but just to make sure:

You'll need Steel. Lots and lots of steel. If your world isn't up to the point where you have automated steel production going, you won't be able to touch the new content.
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

FlowerChild wrote:I think I made it pretty obvious with the last update, but just to make sure:

You'll need Steel. Lots and lots of steel. If your world isn't up to the point where you have automated steel production going, you won't be able to touch the new content.
I know I picked this up. With all the playing I have done on RenEvo's server of late, though, I think I already shamefully resigned myself to squee-ing vicariously through others. Probably Stormweaver and Battosay.
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
orangeweaver

Post by orangeweaver »

FlowerChild wrote: I think I made it pretty obvious with the last update, but just to make sure:

Yeah. I definitely need to get my ass to work.
DreamsofFury

Post by DreamsofFury »

Crap....this means I need to finish replicating Batto's pottery/kiln/soul urn machine.....lets see....I dont work for a few days.....KGO!!!!!
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Wait... Like a stack of steel? Or a stack of steel blocks!?!?!? More than that!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?
Ethinolicbob

Post by Ethinolicbob »

FlowerChild wrote:-lots of terrible things-
*morvsquee*
No FC! Bad!
I come here to read nice innocent DF talk.
Last thing I need is you hinting towards fulfilling certain aspects of MC that have been keeping me from spending more time there.
I have to go travel and celebrate my mothers birthday soon. When she sees me *morvsquee* what am I going to say?
Geez...
Go back and play some DF and I will pretend you were not just attempting assassination via overfilling anticipation glands. (totally a real thing)
Sarudak wrote:Interesting... Sounds like it might add a lot of challenge to the early game. Question though... It's not anything like this mod is it?

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/780 ... gh-do-you/
Cheers again Sarudak. You keep giving me little breadcrumbs of things I must keep my eye on.
Zhil

Post by Zhil »

Sarudak wrote:Wait... Like a stack of steel? Or a stack of steel blocks!?!?!? More than that!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?
Well, with what he's hinted at, more like a single or double chest of steel ingots...
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Wow! That's gonna be tough for those of us without any old worlds. Automating steel production I can do. But I don't have even remotely that much iron...
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

orangeweaver wrote:Shit I just realized I get back home on the 9th too.
Holy hell, do we all get back on the 9th? I'll be in Tennessee April 3rd to 9th
Zhil

Post by Zhil »

BinoAl wrote:Holy hell, do we all get back on the 9th? I'll be in Tennessee April 3rd to 9th
I got dental surgery the 10th. I fucking win I guess...
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx