HOLY CRAP Do I have a lot of work on my hands.

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: HOLY CRAP Do I have a lot of work on my hands.

Post by FlowerChild »

RaustBlackDragon wrote:FlowerChild, thank you SO MUCH for all your help. I've managed to update to 1.2.3, and thanks to your help, I didn't have to use the new AI and mess with that weird mutexbits() system.
You're welcome man, and I'm glad it helped you out :)
RaustBlackDragon

Post by RaustBlackDragon »

FlowerChild wrote:
RaustBlackDragon wrote:FlowerChild, thank you SO MUCH for all your help. I've managed to update to 1.2.3, and thanks to your help, I didn't have to use the new AI and mess with that weird mutexbits() system.
You're welcome man, and I'm glad it helped you out :)
Oh, and since you're using the new AI-

Never mind. I was going to tell you how you can make wolves not act like zombies with the new system, but then I came to my senses.
What's the price of freedom now?
Can you cut me a deal?
A crate of wholesale liberty,
or a justice combo meal?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

RaustBlackDragon wrote:Oh, and since you're using the new AI-

Never mind. I was going to tell you how you can make wolves not act like zombies with the new system, but then I came to my senses.
Hehe...yeah, that wouldn't end well ;)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

SUCCESS!

The mod is now running in 1.2.3 :)

Now for a huge battery of tests...
RaustBlackDragon

FlowerChild wrote:SUCCESS!

Epicness! Congrats!
Can you cut me a deal?
or a justice combo meal?
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

FlowerChild wrote:SUCCESS!

Yaaaaaay!!!!

I updated to 1.2 already in order to play on my server. It's been two days and I am already itching to get back to BTW.
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

morvelaira wrote: Yaaaaaay!!!!

I updated to 1.2 already in order to play on my server. It's been two days and I am already itching to get back to BTW.
Hehe...shouldn't be much longer. While I never makes promises about this kind of thing, it's looking good for the near future.

My main concern is map-conversion. I want to be very careful about that one, and so far I've only tested that the the mod is running in my 1.23 world I created last weak, and that I can make a Gear.
scout37

Post by scout37 »

Good God man, have you been inhaling coffee to keep going? its been what, 3 days? Your devotion makes me ashamed of myself, especially when i consider how I was an update pest on mcf. You deserve every hour of rest you take for the next few weeks.
Living has been the #1 cause of death since time began.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Well, it took around 15+ hours of coding, totally in the dark because I couldn't even run the game.

Worked on the first shot after that marathon too, so I'll toot my own horn for just a moment due to the miserable epic I just went through and say:

Damn I'm good :)
scout37

Post by scout37 »

FlowerChild wrote:
Damn I'm good :)
I think everyone can agree on that one.
destineternel

Post by destineternel »

congrats! Hope the testing goes smoothly.
<DaveYanakov> I know I overuse them and put them in inappropriate places but they just feel so good.
<icynewyear> shit is delicious
<MagikEh> Don't try to give me da D
Battlecat

Post by Battlecat »

Nice job! Either that went far more smoothly than you feared or you've been burning the midnight oil the last few nights. Glad to hear you've gotten past the first hurdle and are into the testing!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Battlecat wrote:Nice job! Either that went far more smoothly than you feared or you've been burning the midnight oil the last few nights. Glad to hear you've gotten past the first hurdle and are into the testing!
I estimated 10-15 hours to do the conversion, so it went about how I had anticipated.

Did a bit of burning of the midnight oil, but after getting over utter despair I went into tenacity mode.

Anyways, not done yet, but I'm going to take a little break before running further tests to savor the moment a bit.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Well, we've got a nice relaxing renstream tonight so I'd say your timing is impeccable.

Glad to hear you got through it all ok though. Lets hope MCP don't do this again/have a chance to do this again :)
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Stormweaver wrote:Well, we've got a nice relaxing renstream tonight so I'd say your timing is impeccable.
Hehe...I noticed the stream announcement earlier, and was actually hoping I might be able to release before he goes live so that he can play with it :)

When I said "take a break", I meant go to the store, buy some smokes, make a sandwich, then get back to it ;)
Ethazeriel

Post by Ethazeriel »

Congrats, and thanks for using this thread to update us on what the update process was like. This insight on what the update process was like (even with the MCP idiocy) was very interesting to observe.
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

Well, at least come by the stream and say heelo. Maybe have a drink. Would be a good excuse for me to do so as well, and lord knows I could probably use it.
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
RaustBlackDragon

FlowerChild wrote:Arg...fuck me.

The "lot of work" for this update just hit me, not from the AI, but from MCP deciding to rename all the deobfuscated paramaters for functions as "par1, par2, par3, etc". instead of the former "i, j, k, etc.".

For the love of the gods, why?!!!!! Man, I really hate it when those guys just rename variables for shits and giggles. What a fucking mess.
I'm just curious, but this has been puzzling me for a while... how exactly does this cause issues? I didn't have to change anything from i j k to par1 par2 par3. They're self-contained, aren't they? As long as they're consistent within the void/boolean/watever itself, it should be fine, shouldn't it?

I'm curious as to what you were doing that made this a problem.
Can you cut me a deal?
or a justice combo meal?
sargunv
Site Admin

Post by sargunv »

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe he uses a program to help with merging his modified class files and the new vanilla files. When all the parameter names are changed, the program "lights up like a christmas tree."
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Yup, Sarg is right there. It also has to do with the huge number of base-class files that BTW modifies (around 50).

It's no problem if you have your own functions in your own classes. When you have code scattered within vanilla functions though, all the variable names that code references have potentially changed, and even nastier, sometimes they have changed but retained some of the previous variable names assigned to completely different variables (i,j,k being prime examples).

In other words, I had to go over all my base-class modifications line by line. That's what took around 15 hours. Porting my own classes over took maybe 30 minutes (even though there's around 150 of them).

Also, as he mentioned, my diff tool was effectively rendered useless by the number of changes in the code-base, so I had to do it all manually.
RaustBlackDragon

FlowerChild wrote:Yup, Sarg is right there. It also has to do with the huge number of base-class files that BTW modifies (around 50).

It's no problem if you have your own functions in your own classes. When you have code scattered within vanilla functions though, all the variable names that code references have potentially changed, and even nastier, sometimes they have changed but retained some of the previous variable names assigned to completely different variables (i,j,k being prime examples).

In other words, I had to go over all my base-class modifications line by line. That's what took around 15 hours. Porting my own classes over took maybe 30 minutes (even though there's around 150 of them).

Also, as he mentioned, my diff tool was effectively rendered useless by the number of changes in the code-base, so I had to do it all manually.

Thanks for the info! That makes sense.
Can you cut me a deal?
or a justice combo meal?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Oh great. There appears to be bugs in vanilla map conversion. Ug.
scout37

Post by scout37 »

ouch. Thats gotta be a pain.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

scout37 wrote:ouch. Thats gotta be a pain.
Yeah, and I have a *very* old map (like more than a year old now) as my main world.

The conversion process causes a crash-bug in it. I seem to be able to patch it up through code, but then I get massive lag-spikes in the offending area.

This may take awhile.
RaustBlackDragon

FlowerChild wrote:Oh great. There appears to be bugs in vanilla map conversion. Ug.
Mother of God...
Can you cut me a deal?
or a justice combo meal?