New Release! (BTW V3.30)

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Tekei

Re: New Release! (BTW V3.30)

Post by Tekei »

I have a question.
Did I screw up my install or is there a bug that causes the detector block to detect newly planted wheat seeds (not only fully grown) or did you intentionally change it for any reason? I am in creative mode trying to figure out how to set up a few things with the new release and this is really screwing with my design. :P
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

The detector always "saw" newly planted crops. Place it one block above to detect fully grown wheat ;)
Tekei

Post by Tekei »

Battosay wrote:The detector always "saw" newly planted crops. Place it one block above to detect fully grown wheat ;)
Lol, I'm such a moron! Thanks Batto. :)
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

This one was really fun to make :)

Please don't comment on the last 30 sec :D
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

Battosay wrote: Please don't comment on the last 30 sec :D
Not doing so is nearly impossible! Thank you for the laugh <3
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
Tekei

Post by Tekei »

Battosay wrote:This one was really fun to make :)
Loved it! :)
Zaikantos

Post by Zaikantos »

I doubt anyone can stop themselves from not-commenting on your bestiality.
Oh and I love your accent. (non-gay love ofcourse).

My automated porkmaker is coming along decently. Need to make the killarea and the growup-area but those wont be a problem. And I need a compact design that you can repeat vertically.
Kwilt

Post by Kwilt »

Battosay wrote:Please don't comment on the last 30 sec :D
Your reverse psychology is doing wonders, Batto.

Image (<--------------- Click me to watch live!)
Mac

Post by Mac »

Must.....resist.....temptation.
(bangs head against desk)

Much better

Anyway, nice one.
My Youtube channel.

FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Lol! I hadn't even tested if saddles still work on the pigs when they are wearing the harness. Thanks for the demonstration that it's fully functional :)
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

Urian wrote:Nope, still can't figure it out. it feels like I've tried every combination of tanned leather and straps by now. Going to leave it for later I guess :)

Have you tried putting the mask, chest and chaps in a column on the anvil and workbench?
Better is the enemy of Good
RaustBlackDragon

Post by RaustBlackDragon »

DaveYanakov wrote:
Urian wrote:Nope, still can't figure it out. it feels like I've tried every combination of tanned leather and straps by now. Going to leave it for later I guess :)

Have you tried putting the mask, chest and chaps in a column on the anvil and workbench?
It's the workbench. Recipebook is so helpful.
What's the price of freedom now?
Can you cut me a deal?
A crate of wholesale liberty,
or a justice combo meal?
Urian

Post by Urian »

Aye, I got it after thinking about it a bit more. I first thought it was built directly from leather and it wasn't until I took a closer look at the pictures (especially the chaps of the harness) that i figured it out. I've strapped in a few cows already and wired an automated feeding system, soon I hope to have enough leather to increase the Ranch of Love :)
FlowerChild: Ice in deserts is a good idea
Mr_Hosed

Post by Mr_Hosed »

Urian wrote:...Ranch of Love :)
I like that. Ranch of love. A kind of twisted and disturbing love, but love none the less. After all, little hearts come flying out of my cows dressed in leather. It must be love. Right? Right?!

Regarding the release, I like the changes. I can finally automate my farms beyond chickens. Though, I gotta say the harness truely is disturbing as hell.

Oh, something I noticed since I'm now making dispensors alot, why doesn't the bloody crafting bench allow me to use a damaged bow in the recipe? So annoying.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Mr_Hosed wrote: Oh, something I noticed since I'm now making dispensors alot, why doesn't the bloody crafting bench allow me to use a damaged bow in the recipe? So annoying.
The recipe must be missing a little "-1", unlike the Breeding Harness one that allows you to freely use damaged gimp-bits ;)
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

I was surprised to see that Vines trap are destroyed by water. It makes them not as usefull as signs sadly I think :/
Any chance to make them more waterproof ? :)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Battosay wrote:I was surprised to see that Vines trap are destroyed by water. It makes them not as usefull as signs sadly I think :/
Any chance to make them more waterproof ? :)
Well, my goal wasn't to replace the signs completely in all their glitchy uses ;)

I don't think having them block water would really make any more sense than it does with the signs. If you have a suggestion for another block that would replace signs in that context (and make more sense), I'm all ears though :)
Mr_Hosed

Post by Mr_Hosed »

FlowerChild wrote:<snip>If you have a suggestion for another block that would replace signs in that context (and make more sense), I'm all ears though :)
Magic barriers! In all seriousness, I've no ideas beyond some sort of mystical/magical item. It's just to artificial of a concept to relate to anything real-world.

I do love the vine traps though. Now my channels are covered in those instead of signs all over the place (when relavent ofcourse). Plus, now I have an actual reason to harvest vines.
Zaikantos

Post by Zaikantos »

Automated porkchopfarm finished. ish.

Haven't been able to thouroughly test it, but it should work fine.

Only real issue could be that the fact that I'm using a wheat based timer for the wheat harvest means that not all wheat is harvested, but thats not a really big issue.

Anyway, it's a wheat farm (2 farms with 5 wheat) that feeds hoppers that feed dispensers that shoot the wheat to 5*2 pigs. Pigs fall down inbetween, go to maturing area and are sent to a (crappy) killmachine. I should probable only let the stream after the habachi's run every minute or so but I don't have the time right now. Stream leads to saw before a grate to kill any survivors off, leads to archimedes screw to surface.

Save;
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=0SMXA24S

Probably doesn't work completely but it's a start I guess. And the design would work for all animals. Then again, the breeding area can't be stacked as far as I can tell.
Ah well, work for tomorrow.

G'night

Edit;
It might be possible to stack this. Thought of it while laying in bed.

right now you have (sideview)
water------block
hopper-----block
dispenser---air
block-------air

You can turn that into

water-----block---water
hopper----block---hopper
dispenser-air-----dispenser
water-----water--water (middle water towards maturing room, outer water over hoppers towards maturing room)
hopper----block---hopper
dispenser-air-----dispenser

etc. etc.
That should work, will try that tomorrow.
Urian

Post by Urian »

I've also got my first automated farm (well, I still haven't build a way to move the wheat from the farm to the feeding system) up and running now. I've noticed two things when building and checking it: First is that the mobs seem to have weird romantic behavior and instead of going for the mob nearest to them the fall in love with the cow four blocks away and I end up with two cows standing next to each other with hearts over their heads but no babies for the slaughter. The second thing is that the gimp mask really needs a ball gag! The sound is so incredibly annoying once you get more than just a few mobs in your farm :p
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Urian wrote:IFirst is that the mobs seem to have weird romantic behavior and instead of going for the mob nearest to them the fall in love with the cow four blocks away and I end up with two cows standing next to each other with hearts over their heads but no babies for the slaughter.
Hmmm...I'll take a look at that one man. Sounds like your cows have unrealistic romantic expectations and are always going after the unattainable :)
Urian

Post by Urian »

FlowerChild wrote:Hmmm...I'll take a look at that one man. Sounds like your cows have unrealistic romantic expectations and are always going after the unattainable :)
Indeed, it's obviously a case of art imitating life :)

I did a test and put 4 wheat in each of my dispensers (I've checked that they fire correctly and accurately) for my farm consisting of 4 cow pairings. I left it running while I dug a tunnel (oh the fascinating life of a cow farmer/miner, every day is a new challenge) and found that it had produced 7 cows rather than the expected 16. I've spaced the cows so that they are in pairs with one empty block between them and the next nearest distance to a cow is 3 blocks (filled in with glass mostly). All cows are fed at at the same time.

This is what the farm looks from underneath:
Spoiler
Show
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Urian wrote:
FlowerChild wrote:Hmmm...I'll take a look at that one man. Sounds like your cows have unrealistic romantic expectations and are always going after the unattainable :)
Indeed, it's obviously a case of art imitating life :)

I did a test and put 4 wheat in each of my dispensers (I've checked that they fire correctly and accurately) for my farm consisting of 4 cow pairings. I left it running while I dug a tunnel (oh the fascinating life of a cow farmer/miner, every day is a new challenge) and found that it had produced 7 cows rather than the expected 16. I've spaced the cows so that they are in pairs with one empty block between them and the next nearest distance to a cow is 3 blocks (filled in with glass mostly). All cows are fed at at the same time.

Spoiler
Show
I haven't had a huge amount of time to play with this yet; but if you were to feed each pair one at a time, with a small delay between pairs, wouldn't that limit their...umm, choices?
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Urian wrote: Indeed, it's obviously a case of art imitating life :)

Are you saying this is a result of the unreasonable expectations problem, or that this is something else?
Urian

Post by Urian »

FlowerChild wrote:Are you saying this is a result of the unreasonable expectations problem, or that this is something else?
Well, there is the gap problem as it has been described by Parasuraman, Zeithaml and Berry in 1996 which tries to explain how the thing we actually evaluate isn't the outcome or even the perceived outcome of any effect or process but rather gap between what the expected quality and the perceived quality of the outcome. If I were to form an argument based on that model then I would say that the expected quality would be an outcome of 15 cute baby animals for the butcher's block while the perceived outcome was of less value due to it only being 7 fluffy balls of doomed cuteness.

Now, taking a step back and trying to distance myself from the evaluation process and the preconceived perceptions of the outcome I can see that an automated farm that produces 7 walking piles of resources for 32 wheat isn't that bad. There exists however due to the inherent expectations of an animal breeding system efficiency and the embedded drain on another precious resource (wheat) a certain unavoidable expectation of a minimum yield even if the exact amount fluctuates in our minds.