Off-Topic Hell (Was: An Important Announcement)

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
embirrim

Re: An Important Announcement

Post by embirrim »

I for one am quite happy with this. I can imagine a (pretty useless) mob trap using a skeleton spawner. Just make them drop a few blocks into a confined space, and have their drops be separated. Bones into rendering and arrows go back up into a dispenser to kill the skeletons xD Perpetual killing machine, good for someone like me who doesn't use arrows.

Oh and it's as I said in the BTB thread. Although I can use diamond pipes for sorting, I will be setting up some kind of contraption using this feature, just because it's fun and challenging.

EDIT: We want MORE TEASERS!!!!!!
Itamarcu

Post by Itamarcu »

I wonder if the new bellows' functionality could be used to drive the wolves' dung back to it's stomach, for further digestion. That seems like a first step in creating enchanted poop :)
You know what you should read? Worm. Here you go: https://parahumans.wordpress.com/catego ... tion/1-01/
Urian

Post by Urian »

Nah, I'd rather see enchanted poop being made by using a hopper to put it into a companion cube for fermentation until it (the cube) explode in a rain of enchanted dog feces. It's like a rainbow all made out of brown nuances and with a port-a-potty of golden showers at the end of it.
FlowerChild: Ice in deserts is a good idea
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

FlowerChild wrote:
BinoAl wrote: So, wanna spoil to use which other items are moved by bellows now, or are going to make us endure the torturous wait? ;)
Well, basically anything "light" or shaped in such a way that it feels like it should be pushed (like fabric).

I just went through all the items in the game/mod and made a judgement call on them. I suspect this will get refined over a few releases as people spot problems or potential additional uses, etc.

Just a simple little feature, but it makes quite a difference. I like it in terms of gameplay too, as you get basic sorting with the Hopper, which is relatively easy to use, but in order to do "advanced sorting" you really have to work at it. That machine definitely wasn't a simple one to build :)
Haha, awesome. What's a shame is that there isn't a large number of cases where this is necessary, the hopper/filter system can still separate most items. Still, I'm interested to see the uses more people will inevitably discover :)
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

BinoAl wrote: Haha, awesome. What's a shame is that there isn't a large number of cases where this is necessary, the hopper/filter system can still separate most items. Still, I'm interested to see the uses more people will inevitably discover :)
It doubles the number of sorting catagories. It won't be necessary, but for people who like to build huge sorting machines it'll be great ^.^
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
Damonjay

Post by Damonjay »

Stormweaver wrote:
It doubles the number of sorting catagories. It won't be necessary, but for people who like to build huge sorting machines it'll be great ^.^
I wouldn't be surprised if FC makes using the Bellows for item sorting a Compulsory part of advancement through the tech tree.

I realise this is a bit of a spinoff but he could theoretically be introducing new blocks/items which require separation via Bellows. (much like hellfire dust and a hopper)

- just to keep your mind wondering about the possibilities ;)
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

Stormweaver wrote:It doubles the number of sorting catagories. It won't be necessary, but for people who like to build huge sorting machines it'll be great ^.^
I still feel like there will be some other use for it. Because of this:
FlowerChild wrote:A block that allows you to gently blow light objects a meter over a period of time...yes :)
I'm guessing it will be nigh useless for item transport, because it will move items very slowly. The only real separation that could be achieved here that we couldn't before is arrows/bones. Ofc, who knows what's in the next update, we might have more items we need to sort from our farms :)
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

Too bad I didn't stumble across this yesterday. I could have ninjad Bino! My first thought when I saw it was that it sorted light items. Oh Wel.
FC mentioned it being especially useful for those not using btb, I for one do use btb and will also be using this. I find diamond pipes to be a bit too magicly precise to me. I feel like they need to really be called a valve that uses the hopper filters. I avoid using them and run all my items through hopper filters before/after my pipes.

Anyway, one alternate use for this is a timer! Yeah we have 5 min item despawn timers but depending on how long this takes to move 1 block it could be blown in a loop to pass in front of a bd or fall onto a pressure plate to output a signal.
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

SterlingRed wrote:I could have ninjad Bino!
My crouching tiger defeats your wilted orchid style
*mouth moves out of sync with words*
Poppycocks

Post by Poppycocks »

Ah, a friend of mine's going to kill me for this, he wanted to suggest bellows for moving items just the day after the anniversary. This is slightly different though so I'm glad I ultimately told him not to.

It also puts the "more uses for leather" into perspective.
darahalian

Post by darahalian »

I have finally accumulated a full half stack of steel blocks!

Now to complete my portal/contraption/whatever it is.
Spoiler
Show
The mass production of steel was pretty fun. Thanks to semi-automated machinery, it wasn't too painful, either.
FlowerChild wrote:Remain ever vigilant against the groth menace my friends. Early detection is crucial in avoiding a full-blown groth epidemic.
Williamson

Post by Williamson »

darahalian wrote:Now to complete my portal/contraption/whatever it is.
Nice job on getting the steel. Just checking for when I build this thing, but could have sworn it was two lenses in the middle, rather than diamond blocks.
Just checking, because otherwise I'm going to be stuck wondering why it does nothing when the big release comes.
darahalian

Post by darahalian »

I'm pretty sure it was diamond blocks, but of course the video is gone now, and I can't check. But I made one in creative shortly after seeing the movie, and I used diamond blocks then, when it was still fresh in my mind. Anyway, if you have two diamond blocks, you have more than enough diamonds to quickly make two lenses if diamond blocks don't work. But, yeah, I'm pretty sure it was diamond blocks.
FlowerChild wrote:Remain ever vigilant against the groth menace my friends. Early detection is crucial in avoiding a full-blown groth epidemic.
Williamson

Post by Williamson »

Fair point, I'll just make sure I've got enough for that, and if one doesn't work, I'll switch.
At least I'm aware of that now, thanks!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Williamson wrote:Fair point, I'll just make sure I've got enough for that, and if one doesn't work, I'll switch.
At least I'm aware of that now, thanks!
Chances are unless you deciphered ever clue in the video, it'll do nothing once the big release comes out anyways ;)
darahalian

Post by darahalian »

FlowerChild wrote:
Chances are unless you deciphered ever clue in the video, it'll do nothing once the big release comes out anyways ;)
I've taken precautions based on the current knowledge of it. It IS kind of cool to respawn on a diamond block surrounded by obsidian and steel after I die. And now that I think about it, I'm getting more ideas about what the thing might do...

Man, I am going to be so excited once the big release comes out...
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Finally got my half stack of steel blocks! Now I just need diamonds which might take me a while since I'm playing with BOD...
Williamson

Post by Williamson »

FlowerChild wrote:Chances are unless you deciphered ever clue in the video, it'll do nothing once the big release comes out anyways ;)
Then it shall look awesome while doing nothing! Even building this thing is going to be satisfying. The netherrack I ended up using for this took ages to mine, even with a steel pick. I shall treasure it.
Gormador

Post by Gormador »

I love how every step you make developing the mod give it a bit more depth.
I'm really looking forward to those nice feature that will come along the next big update. And by that I don't mean THE BIG anniversary update, but the one you simply call the "next update (NOT the big one mind you)". Yeah, for me, each and every of the update is a big one !
Oh, and as we haven't seen you too much the last couple of days, my hopes are that release date is close ! Of course, whenever it comes is fine.

Now, we only have to bug the crap out of Mojang to make them do an update which only purpose would be to unlock the block ID limitation !

By the way FC, you haven't trolled us in a little while. This is strange. ^^
FlowerChild wrote:If you have a suggestion, I recommend that it have pure manna from heaven flowing forth from its vagina to warrant posting it at this point in time.
Starshifterxen

Post by Starshifterxen »

I'm hoping the need for half a stack of steel block is a massive troll and it turns out what you really need is iron...
sky_demon

Post by sky_demon »

Damn thats nice. Firstly i thought that bellow made a vacuum that killed skeleton, but then i saw arrows in a distance :DD
Still really awsom :) this long update delay is good for those who dont have that much steel :) i almost finished my Mayan Temple and next thing im going to work on is steel automation.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Gormador wrote: Oh, and as we haven't seen you too much the last couple of days, my hopes are that release date is close ! Of course, whenever it comes is fine.
It is actually (and again...NOT the big update ; ) ), BUT I just realized yesterday that one of the features I'm building into this release is quite a bit more complicated than I had originally anticipated and requires some rather special code to pull off. On the bright side though, I'm confident it's some code I'll be able to use again in the future for some rather cool stuff, so I think it's worth it.

So, going to spend the day working on that, after which I have a few more small loose ends which I may or may not tackle for this release. Anyways, all that to say, it should be coming within the next few days :)
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

FlowerChild wrote:it should be coming within the next few days :)
<3
I think I'm going to prepare a giant mass including every item in the game, then see which ones are pushed by the bellows C:
danielngtiger

Post by danielngtiger »

FlowerChild wrote:one of the features I'm building into this release is quite a bit more complicated than I had originally anticipated and requires some rather special code to pull off
:0 *Is excited*

It's good the Anniversary Update (not "the big update" I agree with Gormador) won't be for a while because I need more steel. It seemed like a lot, but now that I've actually tried to mine that much iron and make that many soul urns, I have realized that it is A LOT.
Thank you for all your hard work FLowerchild.
/ramble
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright before you hear them speak.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

FlowerChild wrote: Anyways, all that to say, it should be coming within the next few days :)
yay

Definitely looking forward to this. I keep putting off starting a BTW world because of my bad habit of restarting every time new content is added anywhere other than the end of the tech tree >.>
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.