M!C's News Compilation

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: M!C's News Compilation

Post by FlowerChild »

Katalliaan wrote:Recent post from jeb: http://twitter.com/#!/jeb_/statuses/157141588324257792
Did you notice we updated Cobalt to v101a last week? http://playcobalt.com/ Also, I think we'll update Minecraft to 1.1 tomorrow...
Why does my heart sink when I hear that? Oh well, I guess there was only so long I could go without an "update nowz!" epidemic :)
BigShinyToys

Post by BigShinyToys »

I know most of Us regular players wont be updating. Minecraft is just not minecraft without BTW.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

BigShinyToys wrote:I know most of Us regular players wont be updating. Minecraft is just not minecraft without BTW.
Thanks man, but at the same time, I find myself wondering: what does this 1.1 version add?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I haven't seen news of a single feature that it puts into the game. Is it really just a tweak and bug-fix release? Is there anything you guys are looking forward to in it?
Husbag3

Post by Husbag3 »

The only new feature I'll be using is the flatmaps.
If the minecraft world is infinite, why does the sun still rotate around it?
Katalliaan

Post by Katalliaan »

Well, according to the snapshot builds they've been releasing, the only real features it's adding are wool regrowth of sheep, "oak" leaves having a chance to drop apples, and localization support. There were also some bug fixes - notably, a few biome fixes (like smoother transitions on swamp biomes and beaches being generated again), creepers dropping records other than "13" and "cat" when killed by a skeleton, and removal of void fog.
Open in case of fire
Spoiler
Show
Not now stupid - in case of fire
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

FlowerChild wrote:
BigShinyToys wrote:I know most of Us regular players wont be updating. Minecraft is just not minecraft without BTW.
Thanks man, but at the same time, I find myself wondering: what does this 1.1 version add?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I haven't seen news of a single feature that it puts into the game. Is it really just a tweak and bug-fix release? Is there anything you guys are looking forward to in it?
I'm in a list kinda mood, and have 5 mins free. Assuming this is a finalised version of the snapshots, we're getting this:

Tweaks
- Revamped terrain generation & better transitions
- Taiga biomes get snow and ice
- Creative mods tweaks
- Farmland trampling changed
Features
- Flatmap terrain gen
- Sheep regrow wool
- Trees drop apples

Huh, so much for needing 5 mins. Shouldn't this be a .01 update?

Ninjad: Yeah, I know. But mine's a list. Everyone loves lists.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Stormweaver wrote:Huh, so much for needing 5 mins. Shouldn't this be a .01 update?
Yeah, that's my feeling on it. Anyways, hopefully this won't be a big update for MCP or the mod. I'd really have preferred if he had waited to release until there was something substantial added, but I can't exactly expect Mojang to cater their development to modders.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

FlowerChild wrote:
Stormweaver wrote:Huh, so much for needing 5 mins. Shouldn't this be a .01 update?
Yeah, that's my feeling on it. Anyways, hopefully this won't be a big update for MCP or the mod. I'd really have preferred if he had waited to release until there was something substantial added, but I can't exactly expect Mojang to cater their development to modders.
That's true. Not until the mystical API of rumour is finished anyway; at which point it'd be nice for a little bit of consideration, no matter how much of a letdown it ends up being.

Someone needs to go around the mojang office with a pad of post-it notes, and spam 'Flesh out the bloody game already' everywhere. That'd get it done.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Stormweaver wrote: That's true. Not until the mystical API of rumour is finished anyway; at which point it'd be nice for a little bit of consideration, no matter how much of a letdown it ends up being.

Someone needs to go around the mojang office with a pad of post-it notes, and spam 'Flesh out the bloody game already' everywhere. That'd get it done.
Yeah, agreed. This just kinda feels like a "it's been awhile since we put out an update" update.

I don't blame them for taking it slow right now, given Christmas vacations just ended, they were celebrating release, and they have to train new hires, but it would be nice if they didn't disrupt the community just for the sake of putting *something* out. Again, I can't expect them to constantly take modders into account, but this one does seem rather frivolous.
FurkeyRefills

Post by FurkeyRefills »

The only thing that makes any difference to me is the farmland changes, it'll stop my pinky from constantly aching !
Plus its just less of a pain in the arse to be able to walk normally over crops. :)
FlowerChild wrote:I've made another decision... Fuck being a plug-in.
Husbag3

Post by Husbag3 »

Well the "It's been a while sice we did an update" atitude is really the best one. I like the snapshots, if you wanted the most recent features you could have them, but if you wanted your favourite mods you could have those too.
If the minecraft world is infinite, why does the sun still rotate around it?
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

FurkeyRefills wrote:The only thing that makes any difference to me is the farmland changes, it'll stop my pinky from constantly aching !
Plus its just less of a pain in the arse to be able to walk normally over crops. :)
And as such manual farms go from rewarding careful layouts of walkways and ledges to...rewarding rows of wheat in squares of logs.

The farmland change was made solely to benefit villages imo, as opposed to having to code the AI to sneak :3
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Stormweaver wrote: And as such manual farms go from rewarding careful layouts of walkways and ledges to...rewarding rows of wheat in squares of logs.

The farmland change was made solely to benefit villages imo, as opposed to having to code the AI to sneak :3
Agreed. As I mentioned awhile ago, I'm not keen on the trampling changes. Just one less thing to consider while farming, and I think having the player need to be consciously aware of "I don't want to trample my crops" was a cool aspect of it.

I'm not sure if it's related to villagers though. If it was, it would have been really easy to just flag villagers to not trample crops as they move through them. It probably wouldn't even be noticeable to the player, and would have just come across as "the villagers know well enough not to trample their own crops".
Blueblade11

Post by Blueblade11 »

FlowerChild wrote:
Stormweaver wrote: And as such manual farms go from rewarding careful layouts of walkways and ledges to...rewarding rows of wheat in squares of logs.

Agreed. As I mentioned awhile ago, I'm not keen on the trampling changes. Just one less thing to consider while farming, and I think having the player need to be consciously aware of "I don't want to trample my crops" was a cool aspect of it.

I'm not sure if it's related to villagers though. If it was, it would have been really easy to just flag villagers to not trample crops as they move through them. It probably wouldn't even be noticeable to the player, and would have just come across as "the villagers know well enough not to trample their own crops".
If it WAS for the villagers, woudlnt it have been easier to do the same thing they did with spiders?
255 Characters Limit? D:
http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/941586- viewtopic.php?f=11&t=3117
I don't want to go back to MCF! Even if I do stupid things here 90% of the time!
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

Well, sheep wool regrowth is quite big for me, I can never get enough wool for both my construction projects and my redstone circuitry.. It is kinda small for an update, but if they didn't do it soon enough people would start getting antsy, so I suspect it is more to stop people from flooding them with "where's the update!" rather than actually being release worthy. Oh well, can't complain.
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

MoRmEnGiL wrote:Oh well, can't complain.
You don't have to waste hours of your time updating to a new version of MC ;)
RaustBlackDragon

Post by RaustBlackDragon »

I wonder... have they already added the AI tweaks? If so, I'm actually a bit curious to know what exactly they've done with wolves. Anybody willing to guess whether or not it'll add anything I can incorporate into doggy talents AI?
What's the price of freedom now?
Can you cut me a deal?
A crate of wholesale liberty,
or a justice combo meal?
Zhil

Post by Zhil »

RaustBlackDragon wrote:I wonder... have they already added the AI tweaks? If so, I'm actually a bit curious to know what exactly they've done with wolves. Anybody willing to guess whether or not it'll add anything I can incorporate into doggy talents AI?
I'm pretty sure they haven't even started on that stuff
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
RaustBlackDragon

Post by RaustBlackDragon »

Gilberreke wrote:
RaustBlackDragon wrote:I wonder... have they already added the AI tweaks? If so, I'm actually a bit curious to know what exactly they've done with wolves. Anybody willing to guess whether or not it'll add anything I can incorporate into doggy talents AI?
I'm pretty sure they haven't even started on that stuff
So... What does this update add, exactly? Apples, sheep regrowing wool, and a handful of bugfixes?

...Is it just me, or does it seem like the entirety of this update could have been accomplished by me in a day while high on corn syrup?
What's the price of freedom now?
Can you cut me a deal?
A crate of wholesale liberty,
or a justice combo meal?
Yamboyz1

Post by Yamboyz1 »

Also mob spawning eggs, language, golden apple nerf, plus all the stuff other people mentioned
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other.

-Abraham Lincoln
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Yamboyz1 wrote:Also mob spawning eggs
Huh? What does that one refer to?
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

FlowerChild wrote:
Yamboyz1 wrote:Also mob spawning eggs
Huh? What does that one refer to?
In creative. It's a way to spawn any mob you want
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

BinoAl wrote: In creative. It's a way to spawn any mob you want
Oh. Phew :)
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

FlowerChild wrote:
BinoAl wrote: In creative. It's a way to spawn any mob you want
Oh. Phew :)
Hah. I see what had you worried there. Bye bye balance! Lol
Katalliaan

Post by Katalliaan »

Oddly, they don't act like chicken eggs - you use them to "place" the mob instead of throwing them.
Open in case of fire
Spoiler
Show
Not now stupid - in case of fire