M!C's News Compilation

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
morvelaira

Re: M!C's News Compilation

Post by morvelaira »

M!C wrote: Is it just me or did you change colours over night?
Ha! I apparently did! I am both pleased and mystified.
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
M!C

Post by M!C »

morvelaira wrote:
M!C wrote: Is it just me or did you change colours over night?
Ha! I apparently did! I am both pleased and mystified.
Congratulations are in order then. ;)

On topic so to speak:
The "new guy" (aka Mojang's new AI programmer) is also on twitter obviously and I'll read what he shares with the world over there (thankfully, it's not as much as Notch's wall o' tweets). There's nothing really "feature-related" yet but I think I'll list some general tweets so that people can get an idea who he could be.
M!C

Post by M!C »

Ok, tweets by the new guy are listed now ...

He's impressed by Notch's work? Now that can mean many things: impressed by a game that had millions of customers during beta-stage or impressed by the chaos Notch produced? ;)

At least he doesn't promise any wonders ... Looks like he knows what a task lies ahead of him. AI stuff is not a piece of cake (or at least doing it efficiently enough in a short time isn't).
The great randomo

Post by The great randomo »

;)
Chris Martin wrote:The morning is for sleeping.
M!C

Post by M!C »

The great randomo wrote:video
;)
In case I am supposed to reply to that:

GEMA won't let me watch it (copyright).
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

It's a song called Ghost Town, and I think it's meant to imply something about the lack of updates. Which of course isn't your fault.
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
M!C

Post by M!C »

morvelaira wrote:It's a song called Ghost Town, and I think it's meant to imply something about the lack of updates. Which of course isn't your fault.
Well, I was about to get to that now actually. There are one or two things I can list, nothing important really but it's a start. ;)

On some days twitter simply hates me though and then I start by reading the BTW forum stuff instead of updating this thread first ... so if you see me posting around here and there's no news update yet, that's because of twitter not doing what it's supposed to do.

EDIT: I think I'll take the "nothing of importance" part back. Removing the collision box of ladders doesn't sound too good for me ... That means lava flows through them now, right? Yet another blow against mobtraps (lava blades) or what? Not that I need one with BTW but still ... oh wait signs can still be used for that purpose ... let's see when that's fixed ...
The great randomo

Post by The great randomo »

It wasn't anything about the fact that this topic hasn't been updated in a while, I was just saying that jeb doesent seem to be putting out news much, so this thread is very quiet.
Chris Martin wrote:The morning is for sleeping.
M!C

Post by M!C »

The great randomo wrote:It wasn't anything about the fact that this topic hasn't been updated in a while
Nah, I didn't take it as that man. :)
The great randomo wrote:I was just saying that jeb doesent seem to be putting out news much, so this thread is very quiet.
As the optimistic person I sometimes am (or pretend to be) I interpret the lack of news as a sign that Jeb is working on his two (or hopefully three) bigger projects.
1.) API
2.) incorporate the new guy (and doing AI stuff)
3.) make BTW SMP possible aka clean up the SMP code (I can hope, can't I?) ;)
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

M!C wrote:3.) make BTW SMP possible aka clean up the SMP code (I can hope, can't I?) ;)
I sure am.
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

M!C wrote: EDIT: I think I'll take the "nothing of importance" part back. Removing the collision box of ladders doesn't sound too good for me ... That means lava flows through them now, right? Yet another blow against mobtraps (lava blades) or what? Not that I need one with BTW but still ... oh wait signs can still be used for that purpose ... let's see when that's fixed ...

Nope. Signs don't have collision boxes, but fluids cannot coexist with them :P Same goes with any block that is not a full block really. Place an iron bar or a fence post in a lake. The water magically stays away from it forming a full block of emptyness around it :P

The only things this changes is

a) You cannot sit on top of a ladder anymore.
b)You won't die if you drop ontop of a ladder from a big height.
c)You can't use a ladder to make an one block space smaller than a full block. Which is the biggest shame actually, since it was used in a lot of mob seperators and minecart systems.
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

May as well have something to discuss: latest snapshot info: linkity link link

of note:
- Decreased randomness of Enchantment Tables
- Made biomes slightly more varied (hills in forests and deserts, beaches)
- Added world type options (currently only super-flat and default)

So enchanting is being...fixed to a degree (Doubt it'd feel better than FC's system though), terrain gen is being changed again, and we finally have flatmaps for testing contraptions apparently.

*mixed feelings*
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
Shengji

Post by Shengji »

Stormweaver wrote:May as well have something to discuss: latest snapshot info: linkity link link

of note:
- Decreased randomness of Enchantment Tables
- Made biomes slightly more varied (hills in forests and deserts, beaches)
- Added world type options (currently only super-flat and default)

So enchanting is being...fixed to a degree (Doubt it'd feel better than FC's system though), terrain gen is being changed again, and we finally have flatmaps for testing contraptions apparently.

*mixed feelings*
Urgh, changing world gen screws up worlds - unacceptable after release
7 months, 37 different border checks and counting.
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

Shengji wrote: Urgh, changing world gen screws up worlds - unacceptable after release

Good grief. I hate this. I've spent all my mc playtime since btw turned 1.0 compatible to iron out the transitions.. :/
War..
War never changes.

M!C

Post by M!C »

MoRmEnGiL wrote:Good grief. I hate this. I've spent all my mc playtime since btw turned 1.0 compatible to iron out the transitions.. :/
You won't get anymore ugly transitions because Jeb said that old maps won't adobt recent changes (you have to generate a new map to get the smoother biome edges etc.).
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

M!C wrote:
MoRmEnGiL wrote:Good grief. I hate this. I've spent all my mc playtime since btw turned 1.0 compatible to iron out the transitions.. :/
You won't get anymore ugly transitions because Jeb said that old maps won't adobt recent changes (you have to generate a new map to get the smoother biome edges etc.).
That was said last time, when he actually meant that new maps wont have existing terrain replaced. Everyone misinterpreted him.
M!C

Post by M!C »

BinoAl wrote:That was said last time, when he actually meant that new maps wont have existing terrain replaced. Everyone misinterpreted him.
Huh? Really? Well, then what I said is totally wrong ... Nice, new map again (or maybe I'll just keep the pregenerated part I've got so far, it's not like I'm going to venture further than what I have now[1gb]) ...
Husbag3

Post by Husbag3 »

The latest snapshot is a bit of a joke IMO. They added languages, one of which was pirate.
It's the most pointless thing ever implemented.
If the minecraft world is infinite, why does the sun still rotate around it?
Battlecat

Post by Battlecat »

Some of the biome generation changes look nice. Sandy beaches, more variation in the terrain and better blending between swamp colors and normal terrain are a pretty good addition.
M!C

Post by M!C »

Mhm, looks like I'll have to go back to updating this thread daily ... the time of laziness is finally at an end (and we have stuff to read again). ;)

Again about chunk borders:
Jeb: Maybe some minor ones.... I didn't move any biomes, I just made them slightly more varied

Did someone try the snapshot and can confirm this? I'm starting to get confused ... ;)
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

M!C wrote:Mhm, looks like I'll have to go back to updating this thread daily ... the time of laziness is finally at an end (and we have stuff to read again). ;)

Again about chunk borders:
Jeb: Maybe some minor ones.... I didn't move any biomes, I just made them slightly more varied

Did someone try the snapshot and can confirm this? I'm starting to get confused ... ;)

Actually I did a quick test (very quick though) and didn't find any fugly transitions from the old generator to the new. In fact the only new thing I noticed is this
Spoiler
Show
War..
War never changes.

Husbag3

Post by Husbag3 »

Does this blend the transition from swamp water to regular water better?
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

Yes, from what I've seen it does.
War..
War never changes.

Husbag3

Post by Husbag3 »

Good, because the transitions were just horrible...
Katalliaan

Post by Katalliaan »

Recent post from jeb: http://twitter.com/#!/jeb_/statuses/157141588324257792
Did you notice we updated Cobalt to v101a last week? http://playcobalt.com/ Also, I think we'll update Minecraft to 1.1 tomorrow...
Open in case of fire
Spoiler
Show
Not now stupid - in case of fire