Can we tone the Notch-Bashing down please?

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
Brethern

Re: Can we tone the Notch-Bashing down please?

Post by Brethern »

Fracture wrote:
Brethern wrote:
Fracture wrote:
darahalian wrote:
Brethern wrote: You're a 7 foot tall tank that kills things.

End of story. It's not devil may cry or Mercenaries it's shoot and slash as fast as possible.

That's all I want.
That may be all you want, but for most people, that type of gameplay gets boring very quickly, as there is simply no skill involved. That type of gameplay can be good stress relief, but not much of anything else imo.
This. No skill means no replay value, which in turn means wasted money.
TL.net seems to like it.

Therefore My opinion hasn't changed.
You're allowing your opinion of a game to be decided, rather than by logical dissection of the game's worth, by an outside group. I can see there's no real point to arguing with you.

And yes, hooray for off-topic.
I played the demo and decided that I liked the game, my opinion was made up long ago.

I was merely pointing out that a site dedicated to one of the most elitest games ever likes a game you call button mashing.
Fracture

Post by Fracture »

Brethern wrote:
Fracture wrote:
Brethern wrote:
Fracture wrote:
darahalian wrote:
Brethern wrote: You're a 7 foot tall tank that kills things.

End of story. It's not devil may cry or Mercenaries it's shoot and slash as fast as possible.

That's all I want.
That may be all you want, but for most people, that type of gameplay gets boring very quickly, as there is simply no skill involved. That type of gameplay can be good stress relief, but not much of anything else imo.
This. No skill means no replay value, which in turn means wasted money.
TL.net seems to like it.

Therefore My opinion hasn't changed.
You're allowing your opinion of a game to be decided, rather than by logical dissection of the game's worth, by an outside group. I can see there's no real point to arguing with you.

And yes, hooray for off-topic.
I played the demo and decided that I liked the game, my opinion was made up long ago.

I was merely pointing out that a site dedicated to one of the most elitest games ever likes a game you call button mashing.
Being a coder for Starcraft2 doesn't make their opinions any more valid than that of anyone else, so it's irrelevant.
Abracadabra, you're an idiot.
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

Summary of this debate:
Spoiler
Show
Fracture

Post by Fracture »

Aptly put, Bino. xD
Urian

Post by Urian »

Soon someone will pee on the carpet. Awww, man - that carpet really tied the thread together.
FlowerChild: Ice in deserts is a good idea
grimper12341

Post by grimper12341 »

So much talk about Relic but no one mentioned Company of Heroes?

Heresy! D:
Fracture

Post by Fracture »

Urian wrote:Soon someone will pee on the carpet. Awww, man - that carpet really tied the thread together.
Don't you mean the thread really tied that carpet together? Trust me, using carpets for tying doesn't work that well. Been there, done that, girlfriend nearly lost her arm. I mean-- what?
Tekei

Post by Tekei »

To be (somewhat?) on topic when it comes to story in games. One of the things that has struck me as extremely odd is the fact that MMOs tend to evolve in that direction as well. Scripting, storytelling, instancing etc are all things developed to increase "immersion" and easier deliver the narrative to the players but they also decrease player-to-player interaction to a degree. I, however, am a strong believe in the fact that MMOs are better left as sandbox games like UO, Eve Online etc where the players are able to develop their own stories. Storytelling in multiplayer is better suited for co-op games than MMOs imo.
Flesh_Engine

Post by Flesh_Engine »

I just typed like a giant wall of text to reply to various things in this thread and my session seems to have timed out so i'll rephrase in a nutshell since i'm not typing all that again...

@FC:
40k: DoW is imo an enjoyable series, some titles were rehased, others were a bit more entertaining. Space marine is Tomb Raider in a different setting, ive known this the moment i visited the site and didn't see a skills/abilities page. You should give the 40k RPG line from Fantasyflightgames a try; blast to play if you can get some friends together, try the intro adventures, rules light and quick to get into :)

SupCom: Kingdoms is in the fridge, depending on Chris Taylor's bank account figures we'll get something decent or another sellout like SupCom2...

Mechwarrior; scary that we share this amount of intrests... Check out MW LL /Mektek :)

Surprised that you liked Oblivion; couldn't find myself in the "oh wait, you leveled, now the monsters that killed you are stronger as well." vibe. Seemed to defeat the point in actively trying to get better at something...

Fallout is "ok" in the Action.RPG sense but a forgetable experience, unlike its predecessors
What wasn't a forgetable experience for me recently was Command & Conquer 4; i wanted, no, needed to know the ending and i can't shake that feeling of complete and utter world crushing dissapointment that accompanied me placing the DVD back in the jewel case, sorta like finishing the story of Starcraft 2 but then it wasn't *that* bad...

Problem of games these days is that they're dumbed down to please the masses and a game that is more complex doesn't seem to roll around often while a challenge these days seems to rely on how fast you can mash buttons...

How this ties into Notch; how he does development just doesn't strike me as someone with a vision, a goal he's working towards. This is reflected in his half-assed approach to features and concepts which frustrates people. The 1.8 is getting too big so it's going to be divided among 1.8 & 1.9. I'll hold my tongue about it since i'm not following it too closely but i'm very curious to see how fleshed out the features introduced in 1.8 will be after 1.9.
I'm hoping for giant gameplay with the addition of giant mushrooms though!
"An engine of flesh can do that..." // "Man feed Machine. Machine feed Man..."
Brethern

Post by Brethern »

Flesh_Engine wrote:I just typed like a giant wall of text to reply to various things in this thread and my session seems to have timed out so i'll rephrase in a nutshell since i'm not typing all that again...

@FC:
40k: DoW is imo an enjoyable series, some titles were rehased, others were a bit more entertaining. Space marine is Tomb Raider in a different setting, ive known this the moment i visited the site and didn't see a skills/abilities page. You should give the 40k RPG line from Fantasyflightgames a try; blast to play if you can get some friends together, try the intro adventures, rules light and quick to get into :)

SupCom: Kingdoms is in the fridge, depending on Chris Taylor's bank account figures we'll get something decent or another sellout like SupCom2...

Mechwarrior; scary that we share this amount of intrests... Check out MW LL /Mektek :)

Surprised that you liked Oblivion; couldn't find myself in the "oh wait, you leveled, now the monsters that killed you are stronger as well." vibe. Seemed to defeat the point in actively trying to get better at something...

Fallout is "ok" in the Action.RPG sense but a forgetable experience, unlike its predecessors
What wasn't a forgetable experience for me recently was Command & Conquer 4; i wanted, no, needed to know the ending and i can't shake that feeling of complete and utter world crushing dissapointment that accompanied me placing the DVD back in the jewel case, sorta like finishing the story of Starcraft 2 but then it wasn't *that* bad...

Problem of games these days is that they're dumbed down to please the masses and a game that is more complex doesn't seem to roll around often while a challenge these days seems to rely on how fast you can mash buttons...

How this ties into Notch; how he does development just doesn't strike me as someone with a vision, a goal he's working towards. This is reflected in his half-assed approach to features and concepts which frustrates people. The 1.8 is getting too big so it's going to be divided among 1.8 & 1.9. I'll hold my tongue about it since i'm not following it too closely but i'm very curious to see how fleshed out the features introduced in 1.8 will be after 1.9.
I'm hoping for giant gameplay with the addition of giant mushrooms though!
I never even bothered picking up C&C 4.

I used to be a giant C&C fan I loved tib wars and kanes wraith. The story was set up for a major alien invasion of earth or Kane and the brotherhood travelling into Scrin territory.

Instead we get the crappy ending where tiberium is nearly eradicated.

I was depressed.
M!C

Post by M!C »

I know this is the off-topic section but isn't this getting a bit too off OP?
At least it would be nicer to read if this was split in two topics.
Haidaes

Post by Haidaes »

Flesh_Engine wrote: Surprised that you liked Oblivion; couldn't find myself in the "oh wait, you leveled, now the monsters that killed you are stronger as well." vibe. Seemed to defeat the point in actively trying to get better at something...
Lol after butchering that quote orgy I actually forgot to write something.
The whole monsters level with you concept was totally overhyped. Both by the developers who thought it was a great move and by the customers who believed it to be utter BS. While monsters leveled with you, they were neither godlike nor did they gain as much by leveling up as you did. The really bad part was that it fucked up the story and the loot system. If you went straight for the mainquest you would fight lousy imps or goblins or what ever these things were called right till the end. Fighting deidra (w/e) was half the fun of the main story. On the other hand if you leveled up fast enough by doing sidequests you would constantly run into mercs and bandits that would wear the best possible armor and all you had to do was harvest it. Also bandits in shiny green chainmail looked kinda weird to beginn with.
grimper12341

Post by grimper12341 »

Rawr.
Jagdpanther is displeased D:<