FlowerChild's Dev Diary: Week of September 2nd

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: FlowerChild's Dev Diary: Week of September 2nd

Post by FlowerChild »

FlowerChild wrote:That is just way too much work to invest into trying to avoid the process of natural selection :)
Ok, NM about the above. After posting it, I came up with a clever solution to this problem:
Spoiler
Show
The server will now also display a log message when a player connects without the mod installed to help server-ops in the tech-support process, and to allow them to mock the noob ;)

What I realized I could do was encode if BTW was installed into the difficulty level that all clients send to the server on connecting (which isn't actually used in SMP, but whatever, it's still sent by vanilla regardless) along with some other basic info on their settings. That way, if the mod isn't installed, the server recognizes it because the difficulty level is within the standard vanilla range, and can then send a warning message back to the client.

It's a bit hacky mind you (c'est la vie), but thanks to that idea, this task was far easier to complete than what I thought would be required.

I also added a number of other log messages for the server, just so server ops could easily verify that BTW is installed and running properly, since I was already in that area of the code.

So yeah, the above replaced fixing the minor Siding/Moulding/Corner bugs as my warm-up task for the day ;)
FaceFoiled

Post by FaceFoiled »

That's very sexy. Already had someone with a mismatch last night that caused an issue =D.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Oh, one additional note about all this version checking stuff:

Obviously, it won't apply to version 4.01 of the mod, or before.

If a 4.01 client connects to a 4.02 server, the user will get a warning message that they don't have the mod installed at all, because obviously 4.01 has no concept of this version checking system. This will resolve itself with time, so that the proper message will say be displayed if a 4.02 client connects to a 4.03 server, and so on.

Also worth mentioning is the smile my above solution to detecting mod installation gave me, because basically what it amounts to is BTW clients informing the server that they have their difficulty cranked up to "11" ;)
justcallmecloud

Post by justcallmecloud »

FlowerChild wrote:Also worth mentioning is the smile my above solution to detecting mod installation gave me, because basically what it amounts to is BTW clients informing the server that they have their difficulty cranked up to "11" ;)
Hardcore Sheep, Hardcore Chickens, Hardcore Bonemeal, Hardcore Buckets, Hardcore Death, and raising the difficulty to 11 out of 4. You are really cranking up the difficulty. :P

Thank you for adding the "You don't have this mod" feature. It will be helpful on the admin side.
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

Not 42 ? :(
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Battosay wrote:Not 42 ? :(
Dude...Douglas Adams references are fine and all, but I'm a very sad modder if you aren't catching Spinal Tap ones:

nmarshall23

Post by nmarshall23 »

FlowerChild wrote:
Battosay wrote:Not 42 ? :(
Dude...Douglas Adams references are fine and all, but I'm a very sad modder if you aren't catching Spinal Tap ones:

Did ya see what brand of amp that is? Yea, that's Marshall Brand. We go to 11..
Ulfengaard wrote:BTW by FC: Fixing vanilla, one version at a time. :)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Well, I think handling all these annoying technical details (aka "grunt work") has given me a jonesing for some actual game design and development.

So, I've decided to work this afternoon on a new block that I've been planning on and off for the past few months. This is of course where I refrain from posting details as to what exactly it is that I'm doing, but I will say that I think it will make many of you very happy :)
Rianaru

Post by Rianaru »

*tinfoil hat*

:D
FlowerChild wrote: -----

A short while later:

FlowerChild: What is this pussy shit?
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Yay! I love new blocks. I'll admit that new mechanics, hardcore game modes and detailed tweaks to improve minecraft are awesome and all, but you can't beat having a new block once in a while.

The only question is: Will it be as awesome as wicker?
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Stormweaver wrote:Will it be as awesome as wicker?
Hehe...I will even provide an additional hint in saying this new block is so awesome as to use an entire BlockID, whereas Wicker shares its own with 15 other blocks ;)
embirrim

Post by embirrim »

FlowerChild wrote: Hehe...I will even provide an additional hint in saying this new block is so awesome as to use an entire BlockID, whereas Wicker shares its own with 15 other blocks ;)
I feel really bad for the wicker :(
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

embirrim wrote: I feel really bad for the wicker :(
Don't worry...poor old Wicker will get its own blockID once Mojang makes the extended IDs available ;)

I guess it's worth mentioning that coding blocks to occupy the same ID like that is a major pain in the ass for nothing, and also leads to oddities such as them sharing all the same properties, such as flammability, which sounds they make when you walk on them, and which tools are effective on them, with all the other blocks in the bundle.

I'd really prefer not to have to resort to that kind of hackery, which is one of the many reasons why I'm so looking forward to extended block IDs.
Gormador

Post by Gormador »

So far I love this thread ! It's very interesting to get some of the "behind the scene" of the creation of the mod. Thank you for taking the time to do it !

And a new block planed (in your head) for months ? ... Why am I scared ?
FlowerChild wrote:If you have a suggestion, I recommend that it have pure manna from heaven flowing forth from its vagina to warrant posting it at this point in time.
LJEKadeshi

Post by LJEKadeshi »

FlowerChild wrote:Hehe...I will even provide an additional hint in saying this new block is so awesome as to use an entire BlockID, whereas Wicker shares its own with 15 other blocks ;)
Well the biggest thing he's talked about in the past that I can think of for this, especially now that the fervor for it has died, is probably the two way chute; however, this is just speculation.
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

LJEKadeshi wrote: Well the biggest thing he's talked about in the past that I can think of for this, especially now that the fervor for it has died, is probably the two way chute; however, this is just speculation.
That would be my guess as well! Either way, it'll be epic
MrLemon

Post by MrLemon »

LJEKadeshi wrote:Well the biggest thing he's talked about in the past that I can think of for this, especially now that the fervor for it has died, is probably the two way chute; however, this is just speculation.
My first thought as well, however the Splitter Chute has been planned sense mid-December, which was about 7 months ago, however "the past few months" could really be any number I suppose, but I'd say it would more likely be 2 or 3 months.
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

We can guess all we want and are likely never to guess correctly. It was probably something only hinted at in one of his many phases.
Rianaru

Post by Rianaru »

Could also be the hopper card that he announced for Phase 7 :)

A short while later:

Rianaru

Post by Rianaru »

walker_boh_65 wrote:We can guess all we want and are likely never to guess correctly. It was probably something only hinted at in one of his many phases.
I KNEW IT! It's block that grows into the shape of a phallus, simultaneously allow FlowerChild to build tens of thousands of phalli!

A short while later:

Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

While we're making wild guesses, mine will be...candles. Everyone loves candles. And the 16 colours guarantees it needing a whole block ID :)
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Stormweaver wrote:While we're making wild guesses, mine will be...candles. Everyone loves candles. And the 16 colours guarantees it needing a whole block ID :)
Actually, I'd need 2 block IDs for candles to cover the lit and unlit state. Hence why they aren't placeable in the mod yet ;)
TheInfernalEnchanter

Post by TheInfernalEnchanter »

Stormweaver wrote:While we're making wild guesses, mine will be...candles. Everyone loves candles. And the 16 colours guarantees it needing a whole block ID :)
A. That would truly be epic.
B. My guess is something along the lines of a new source of mechanical power. Maybe a doggy-powered hamster wheel?
TheAnarchitect wrote:Steve also occasionally gets random flashes of uncontrolled insight, like what the caves under that mountain look like.
Ah, chunk errors...
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

TheInfernalEnchanter wrote: B. My guess is something along the lines of a new source of mechanical power. Maybe a doggy-powered hamster wheel?
Check the rules in the suggestion sub-forum. I think you will find that's definitely NOT it.

Besides, that would be an entity, not a block.
TheInfernalEnchanter

Post by TheInfernalEnchanter »

FlowerChild wrote:
TheInfernalEnchanter wrote: B. My guess is something along the lines of a new source of mechanical power. Maybe a doggy-powered hamster wheel?
Check the rules in the suggestion sub-forum. I think you will find that's definitely NOT it.

Besides, that would be an entity, not a block.
Ah, whoops. I derped. Sorry, I'm not a coder in any meaning of the word...
TheAnarchitect wrote:Steve also occasionally gets random flashes of uncontrolled insight, like what the caves under that mountain look like.
Ah, chunk errors...