Finding the new Soulforged Steel Block property

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
matty79321
Location: public Location getLocation() { return new Location("Neeeerrrrrrddd"); }

Re: Finding the new Soulforged Steel Block property

Post by matty79321 »

I think I just found something, although it always leads me to a crash. I started a brand new world, settled at my original spawn, quickly got to manual steel, and went looking for the closest stronghold. I found it, placed water in one of the lava bin things on the side, placed a SFS block next to the water, and it gave me some error (I'll post the crash log in the help section). If i read the error log correctly, it does say that it was checking for a stronghold. My guess is that you have to start using eyes of ender starting at your original spawn for the SFS block to show its new feature.

Edit: minor incompatibility, crash fixed now
Last edited by matty79321 on Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Unfortunately, without a total rewrite, vanilla MC will still be a resource whore.
Rianaru

Post by Rianaru »

On a related note, has anyone tried using other elements at other strongholds? It would make sense if a stronghold that goes to a 'plane of water' makes SFS blocks scream when exposed to water. Maybe theres different materials associated with the different dimensions as well O_o

Obsidian>fire dimension portal
SFS blocks>water dimension portal
etc.
FlowerChild wrote: -----

A short while later:

FlowerChild: What is this pussy shit?
Graphite

Post by Graphite »

Well crap... that means that stronghold base I've been building for the past few months is at exactly the wrong spot for this update :P
matty79321
Location: public Location getLocation() { return new Location("Neeeerrrrrrddd"); }

Post by matty79321 »

Graphite wrote:Well crap... that means that stronghold base I've been building for the past few months is at exactly the wrong spot for this update :P
Not quite, I imagine that FlowerChild will add the other elements' features on SFS blocks soon enough, we just have to be patient.

Edit: It seems that the Southern-most stronghold is water, the other two I have yet to figure out.

Edit 2: Never mind about the above edit, I proved myself wrong.
Unfortunately, without a total rewrite, vanilla MC will still be a resource whore.
Graphite

Post by Graphite »

That's why I said "...for this update" ;)
matty79321

Post by matty79321 »

Graphite wrote:That's why I said "...for this update" ;)
True story. -_-
Ceunon

Post by Ceunon »

FlowerChild wrote:
Ceunon wrote: I wonder if FC is planning on giving us a way to identify which stronghold is linked to each one of the dimensions, because it all looks too "random" so far.
Ummmm...logical disconnect much? :)
I mean as something besides the actual SFS blocks properties. Something like a big sign above each stronghold that says "Here is the entrance to the Realm of Dagon - Please pick your diving dress at the counter in the right corner".
The Phoenixian

Post by The Phoenixian »

My current test: Right now I'm just leaving a SFS block on a visible edge of the highest tower in my world and waiting for a thunder storm.

The weather sure is taking it's sweet, fat time.
♪ The screams of the souls of the damned and dying,
Fuels for me, the Industry. ♪
Ceunon

Post by Ceunon »

I'm not sure if high places have any higher chance of being struck by lightning. You might want to try using single player commands to do that, or else you'll probably only find out anything about it when we reach phase 115.9 B.
The Phoenixian

Post by The Phoenixian »

The placement is not because high places are more likely to be struck by lightning but because high places are visible. and the goal is to see whether or not SFS blocks attract lightning. While seeing if lightning has a visible effect on it is also part of this, using Single player commands to do so manually would defeat half the purpose of this experiment.

Also, I want to see if this can be discovered legitimately. Thus no spawning thunderstorms or other effects either.
♪ The screams of the souls of the damned and dying,
Fuels for me, the Industry. ♪
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Ceunon wrote:I mean as something besides the actual SFS blocks properties.
You currently have an indication of which is which man (incomplete mind you, it's only active for one at present), which is actually the reason behind this property. Not sure why you'd think a sign would be better than the player running tests to determine that for himself. The former approach is passive, while this one is interactive.
utakataJ6

Post by utakataJ6 »

Hold on...did I miss something huge in the last month, or are we saying BTW is becoming a dimensions mod...
morvelaira:
Not all Minecraft players have stamped down the knee-jerk, lawful-good Superman reaction yet. We do hold a rather high proportion of the enlightened on these forums ;)
flowerchild:
Not to mention a mod that trains the player to be rather morally ambivalent ;)
Ceunon

Post by Ceunon »

FlowerChild wrote:
You currently have an indication of which is which man (incomplete mind you, it's only active for one at present), which is actually the reason behind this property. Not sure why you'd think a sign would be better than the player running tests to determine that for himself. The former approach is passive, while this one is interactive.
I was kinda hoping for something in the actual strongholds, something that made each one of them more characteristic. But now you've reminded me that not everyone has strongholds in their worlds, so...Yeah, just forget about all of that =)

Also, interacting sure is more interesting. I wonder if you're planning to force us into building different (although similar) Devices for each stronghold...
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Ceunon wrote: I was kinda hoping for something in the actual strongholds, something that made each one of them more characteristic. But now you've reminded me that not everyone has strongholds in their worlds, so...Yeah, just forget about all of that =)
Keep in mind too, that even if a player has strongholds, the above would represent modifying world-gen, which has always, and will remain, a big no-no for this mod.
Joeyjoebob

Post by Joeyjoebob »

utakataJ6 wrote:Hold on...did I miss something huge in the last month, or are we saying BTW is becoming a dimensions mod...
Best answer anyone can give at this point is maybe.
TheAnarchitect wrote:
TaterBoy wrote:Well, now I know. And as GI-Joe says, knowing is half the battle. :)
The other half is violence...
Ceunon

Post by Ceunon »

@FC
Yeah, I'm aware of that. I've been playing this mod since before the pulley, I think, and been lurking here for quite a long time too, so I know you're not fond of messing up with people's worlds.
Joeyjoebob wrote:
utakataJ6 wrote:Hold on...did I miss something huge in the last month, or are we saying BTW is becoming a dimensions mod...
Best answer anyone can give at this point is maybe.
Unless that someone is FC. Actually, scratch that. If he said "maybe", that'd freak the hell out of all of us.
matty79321

Post by matty79321 »

FlowerChild wrote:
Well, I've completed all three End Portals in my world, just in case, and I have found (and tagged, thx to rei's minimaps for that one) all three Strongholds. Now to wait until FC adds the other components.
utakataJ6

Post by utakataJ6 »

matty79321 wrote:
FlowerChild wrote:
Well, I've completed all three End Portals in my world, just in case, and I have found (and tagged, thx to rei's minimaps for that one) all three Strongholds. Now to wait until FC adds the other components.
Ditto on the end portal completion. And true, true, I can see the chaos that would result from a FC-spoken "maybe"... run, little rabbit...

Anyway, fair enough. He's about the only person I'd trust with new dimensions...they can be done so wrong.
morvelaira:
Not all Minecraft players have stamped down the knee-jerk, lawful-good Superman reaction yet. We do hold a rather high proportion of the enlightened on these forums ;)
flowerchild:
Not to mention a mod that trains the player to be rather morally ambivalent ;)
DxPanxD

Post by DxPanxD »

utakataJ6 wrote:Anyway, fair enough. He's about the only person I'd trust with new dimensions...they can be done so wrong.
I'm sorry to say that one of the new dimensions is a sugar dimension. It's accessed by powering cake on top of a sfs block at spawn. All textures will be ripped from the High on Sugar texture pack.
Apparently I'm Capitain Overcomplicate.
Ceunon

Post by Ceunon »

As long as everything that is made of sugar there screams while powered/infused with souls...

Anyways, back on topic:

So, we've found out the mysterious property. And FC nearly (you can never be so sure) admitted that we're getting elemental realms in the future. That leave us with the spawn point leading to home. I wonder if the Nether has itself connected to any specific point in the Overworld. Also, from all the realms, why the Nether?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Ceunon wrote:And FC nearly (you can never be so sure) admitted that we're getting elemental realms in the future.
Ummm...no. That definitely did not happen :)

I believe all I've indicated here is that the strongholds are involved, and that SFS reacts to certain things. Water right now is one such thing, and it appears to be associated with one stronghold in particular.

The rest, you said, and I didn't even acknowledge ;)
Gargantuan_Penguin

Post by Gargantuan_Penguin »

FlowerChild... you are a horrible tease. And it is awesome.
And HOW!
Ceunon

Post by Ceunon »

FlowerChild wrote:
Ceunon wrote:And FC nearly (you can never be so sure) admitted that we're getting elemental realms in the future.
Ummm...no. That definitely did not happen :)
You're trying to trick me into your game. But...I...won't... - Ok, now I'm into madness deep beyond proportions.

But...You haven't denied it, either! God, I'm confused.
Joeyjoebob

Post by Joeyjoebob »

DxPanxD wrote: I'm sorry to say that one of the new dimensions is a sugar dimension. It's accessed by powering cake on top of a sfs block at spawn. All textures will be ripped from the High on Sugar texture pack.
I see nothing wrong with this.
TheAnarchitect wrote:
TaterBoy wrote:Well, now I know. And as GI-Joe says, knowing is half the battle. :)
The other half is violence...
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Ceunon wrote:But...You haven't denied it, either! God, I'm confused.
You are correct. In effect, what I have said is: maybe...

...or maybe not :)