Mod Api Discussion (by Mojang)

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
Mr. B

Re: Mod Api Discussion (by Mojang)

Post by Mr. B »

If you can't make it, we'll be providing logs of the meeting after the fact.
That is from the first post in the topic for those of you interested in reading the discussion.
logorouge

Post by logorouge »

Mr. B wrote:That is from the first post in the topic for those of you interested in reading the discussion.
Nice. I'm interested in the discussion itself for sure, plus I'd like to check if FC manage to pull off his challenge. :P
Azdoine may have wrote:Well, we are harvesting souls [...] Sure, they get trapped in a piece of metal, but at least they get to see the world.
Elevatator

Post by Elevatator »

Well, we will see the logs.
⠀⠀⠀⢀⣀⣠⣤⣤⣤⣶⣶⣶⣦⡀
⠀⠀⢠⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣦
⠀⢀⣾⣿⣿⠟⠉⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠻⣿⣿⣷⣄
⠀⣼⣿⣿⠏⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠘⣿⣿⣿⣧
⣰⣿⣿⣿⡀⠀⢀⣴⣾⠿⣵⣦⠀⠀⣿⣿⣿⠇
⠙⢿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠈⠛⠁⠀⠈⠁⠀⣠⣿⣿⡏
⠀⠀⠻⣿⣿⣷⣤⣀⣀⢀⣀⣠⣾⣿⣿⡿
⠀⠀⠀⠈⢻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡥⠤⠒⣢
⠀⠀⠀⠀⣀⣽⣿⣿⡿⠿⠿⠛⠉⠁⣀⣤⣶⠟⠁
⠀⠀⢴⣭⣥⣶⣾⣿⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⠁
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣿⣿⣿⡷⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⣧⡀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢾⣿⣿⣿⣤⣤⣤⣤⣤⣼⣿⣿⣿⠇
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Well, on the bright side: that reminded me of how much I hate meetings :)
fallendice

Post by fallendice »

Anything productive?
If it can't be built, FlowerChild just hasn't thought of it yet. ;)
Ethinolicbob

Post by Ethinolicbob »

Well cheers for going anyhow.
As a modder with a significant fan base you essentially represent a sizeable piece of the Minecraft community.
So again, cheers!
Also, did you complete your challenge?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Ethinolicbob wrote:Well cheers for going anyhow.
As a modder with a significant fan base you essentially represent a sizeable piece of the Minecraft community.
So again, cheers!
Also, did you complete your challenge?
No man, I got so bored with the meeting I just kinda zoned out and was doing other things while it was going on, check in periodically to see if anything useful was being discussed. I tried to make one minor point during the course of it, but it was obvious it wasn't going to get through, so I just shrugged and moved on.

And no, I can't say it was productive. My impression of it was a bunch of modders trying to sound smart by posting relatively useless observations about the API. Most of the discussion wasn't even really about the API itself, but about some kind of automatic mod distribution system.

You can go through the logs yourself, but the only useful tid-bit of information I got out of it was Searge mentioning that a 1.3 version of MCP would be released soon, which is probably a good indication that 1.3 itself will arrive in the very near future.

Anyways, there's some talk of them creating a forum (or something) for the developers involved, which I would personally find a much more useful format. I really don't want to have to sit through that kind of cluster-fuck again.
Elevatator

Post by Elevatator »

Have you said placenta?
⠀⠀⠀⢀⣀⣠⣤⣤⣤⣶⣶⣶⣦⡀
⠀⠀⢠⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣦
⠀⢀⣾⣿⣿⠟⠉⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠻⣿⣿⣷⣄
⠀⣼⣿⣿⠏⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠘⣿⣿⣿⣧
⣰⣿⣿⣿⡀⠀⢀⣴⣾⠿⣵⣦⠀⠀⣿⣿⣿⠇
⠙⢿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠈⠛⠁⠀⠈⠁⠀⣠⣿⣿⡏
⠀⠀⠻⣿⣿⣷⣤⣀⣀⢀⣀⣠⣾⣿⣿⡿
⠀⠀⠀⠈⢻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡥⠤⠒⣢
⠀⠀⠀⠀⣀⣽⣿⣿⡿⠿⠿⠛⠉⠁⣀⣤⣶⠟⠁
⠀⠀⢴⣭⣥⣶⣾⣿⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⠁
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣿⣿⣿⡷⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⣧⡀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢾⣿⣿⣿⣤⣤⣤⣤⣤⣼⣿⣿⣿⠇
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁
PatrickSJ

Post by PatrickSJ »

It is sad that the API discussion got off track. I'll check the log when I can, but did you see any discussion of a need for a standard way of managing block-item-entity interactions via interfaces or other methods?
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

PatrickSJ wrote:It is sad that the API discussion got off track. I'll check the log when I can, but did you see any discussion of a need for a standard way of managing block-item-entity interactions via interfaces or other methods?
They didn't even get that far, I don't think. They got off into other narrow discussions when it was meant to be a very broad high level conversation.
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
PatrickSJ

Post by PatrickSJ »

morvelaira wrote:They didn't even get that far, I don't think. They got off into other narrow discussions when it was meant to be a very broad high level conversation.
... Well, maybe I won't read the log. I want to avoid any brain injury from smacking my head against the wall.
Six

Post by Six »

FlowerChild wrote:Most of the discussion wasn't even really about the API itself, but about some kind of automatic mod distribution system.
I saw a post topping the minecraft reddit the other day titled something like "What I want from the Mod API". The entire thing said nothing of the actual API and essentially described a Steamworks interface for the minecraft client. I wonder why I read comments on there sometimes.
kregoth

Post by kregoth »

Jun 30 19:07:28 <FlowerChild> FlowerChild, developer of Better Than Wolves, and the man you love to hate
HAHA Priceless!

After reading through a little bit of the log, to me the whole plugin system just seems horrid to me! Although dynamic ID's saved through world.dat instead of that jar seems intreaging to me, but I don't know enough about MC code to understand how this helps modders and ID conflicts.

It would have been so much easier, and cheaper (wouldn't have had to hire Buckit) To have an open source license agreement. I really don't understand why Notch didn't fight more for this. I would have created a free version that simply gives you access to the source code for modding purposes and can not be used for commercial purposes. I can live in a pipe dream right? RIGHT? lol I even think modders would be willing to pay a fee (as long as it's reasonable) to get access to the source.

Oh well time will tell, but based of how they handled that meeting, I am not putting any hope down that this API is going to solve the issue modders actually have, at least not at first.
FlowerChild wrote:My theory is that stupidity acts like an infectious organism on the net. Unless it's regularly pruned from your "garden", it will inevitably overwhelm it and kill off everything else.