Thaumcraft 2 (Released !)

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
Sarudak
Site Admin

Re: Thaumcraft 2 (NOT a troll of ANY kind)

Post by Sarudak »

But... But... But... But... It's so awesome...
SgtChuckle

Post by SgtChuckle »

Downloaded it, and the first thing I noticed was the tiny impact on performance,considering how much stuff there is. Azanor must have some really awesome code to make up for all of the graphical stuff he has in the mod.
Poppycocks wrote:Suggesting to hack the logo on all sides is akin to suggesting someone to take a crap out of a window if he doesn't like his toilet seat.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

I like how you have to make choices and your actions can have serious consequences...
Zhil

Post by Zhil »

This is out? I guess I'll try it out sometime in the next few weeks
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

If it were possible to make some kind of compatibility patch that would be amazing. What's involved in that anyway? Checking to see what forge hooks it uses and if those particular forge hooks interfere with btw?
Gormador

Post by Gormador »

OP updated :-)

And yes, I hope I will get to play with it sometime too ^^
Don't even have the time to play BTW so.... will be difficult !

For those who have tried it, any (other) observations ?

EDIT : I absolutely LOVE the trunk ! It reminds me of the "luggage" from The Discoworld (Terry Pratchett). You know, the one with hundreds of legs.
Last edited by Gormador on Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
FlowerChild wrote:If you have a suggestion, I recommend that it have pure manna from heaven flowing forth from its vagina to warrant posting it at this point in time.
Andellmere

Post by Andellmere »

Although you're warned about overflowing crucibles and tainted landscapes, you don't really need to worry. I threw a whole stack of diamonds into a crucible and it filled up and nearly overflew, but never did. As for the tainted landscapes.... I'm trying to bottle pure taint in order to try and convert a section of the world, but the taint build up is tiny as is the aura buildup.
There are a pair of blocks that effect the aura/taint of a chunk but even with a tower that stretches from bedrock to sky, the change is miniscule. The building aesthetics are nice though, so creating an 'Ivory?Ebony Tower' from which to rule your villagers with kindness/iron-fist is surprisingly nice. There are four textures for each block (plus the top/bottom texture) that alternate in a clearly defined pattern. Diagonally left-one, up-one is the same texture as the block you just placed.
The vis transport system is a bit buggy, maybe intentionally so. Taint/vis just sits in the pipe it's in until drained elsewhere in the system. Also, vis/taint in tanks has a bad habit of just sitting there and doing absolutely crap unless you run another line of pipes to it.

That's all I can think of, though I'll admit, the vis-sprites are kind of cool to have around.
Need a combination door? I've got one you can use.
Calcifire3691

Post by Calcifire3691 »

Gormador wrote:OP updated :-)

And yes, I hope I will get to play with it sometime too ^^
Don't even have the time to play BTW so.... will be difficult !

For those who have tried it, any (other) observations ?

EDIT : I absolutely LOVE the trunk ! It reminds me of the "luggage" from The Discoworld (Terry Pratchett). You know, the one with hundreds of legs.
fun fact:
it was originally going to be discworld themed :P
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Andellmere wrote:Although you're warned about overflowing crucibles and tainted landscapes, you don't really need to worry. I threw a whole stack of diamonds into a crucible and it filled up and nearly overflew, but never did. As for the tainted landscapes.... I'm trying to bottle pure taint in order to try and convert a section of the world, but the taint build up is tiny as is the aura buildup.
There are a pair of blocks that effect the aura/taint of a chunk but even with a tower that stretches from bedrock to sky, the change is miniscule. The building aesthetics are nice though, so creating an 'Ivory?Ebony Tower' from which to rule your villagers with kindness/iron-fist is surprisingly nice. There are four textures for each block (plus the top/bottom texture) that alternate in a clearly defined pattern. Diagonally left-one, up-one is the same texture as the block you just placed.
The vis transport system is a bit buggy, maybe intentionally so. Taint/vis just sits in the pipe it's in until drained elsewhere in the system. Also, vis/taint in tanks has a bad habit of just sitting there and doing absolutely crap unless you run another line of pipes to it.

That's all I can think of, though I'll admit, the vis-sprites are kind of cool to have around.
There's definitely a lot of balancing / bugfixing to do. It's only the first day that it was released.
Andellmere

Re: Thaumcraft 2 (Released !)

Post by Andellmere »

Sarudak wrote:There's definitely a lot of balancing / bugfixing to do. It's only the first day that it was released.
I know that. But when people ask about something, so many people focus on the positive. I focus on all that's wrong with it, so you aren't surprised by it not being perfect, see?
Don't get me wrong, I reverted to 1.2.3 just to play with it and it's a lot of fun. It takes awhile to get to the start of it's tech tree though...
TheAnarchitect

Post by TheAnarchitect »

" You've got to accentuate the Negaitve
to counteract the Positive"

I know what you mean. I'm so used to trying to keep my viewpoint bias-reduced. So when I like something I tend to talk about it's flaws, and when I hate something I tend to talk about it's few positive traits.
The infinitely extendable Pottery system
Real Life is an Anarchy Server.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Also taint is supposed to clog your pipes. It's supposed to be a constant annoyance/danger. I think there's some work to do before it's troubling enough.
cataline

Post by cataline »

Have decided to give it a try and must say am enjoying it so far; quite like the fact that you have to research many items before you can actually build them...
Andellmere wrote: The vis transport system is a bit buggy, maybe intentionally so. Taint/vis just sits in the pipe it's in until drained elsewhere in the system. Also, vis/taint in tanks has a bad habit of just sitting there and doing absolutely crap unless you run another line of pipes to it.
Think that's intentional - you can build filters to put into your pipe network which clean out the tainted vis although they then release the removed taint out into the atmosphere and so increase the overall taint in the area, increasing the risk of the area becoming 'corrupted' by the taint!
Andellmere

Post by Andellmere »

Sarudak wrote:Also taint is supposed to clog your pipes. It's supposed to be a constant annoyance/danger. I think there's some work to do before it's troubling enough.
cataline wrote:Think that's intentional - you can build filters to put into your pipe network which clean out the tainted vis although they then release the removed taint out into the atmosphere and so increase the overall taint in the area, increasing the risk of the area becoming 'corrupted' by the taint!
I get the taint "sticking" to a conduit. It's supposed to be inconvenient. My issue, is vis doing the same. No matter what I do, unless there is an active draw (i.e. Infuser) on the network, there is always 2 units of vis left in the conduit. So, my 'taint factory' works at half efficiency at best! It's kinda driving me up the wall...

Note: 'Taint Factory': Using filters to filter the taint out of vis into the air intentionally in an attempt to create taint zones. Currently a three-block, two-filter high system that is slowly being expanded upwards. Built in Creative, obviously.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Oh... Well if you want to do that just throw stacks of diamond blocks into crucibles. The overflow turns into taint and evaporates straight into the atmosphere.
DreamsofFury

Post by DreamsofFury »

The "taint" and "aura" seem like things taken from terrarria, decent concepts and from what I have read(havent played the mod and probly wont) and I like that idea but the fact it just seems so OP dosent appeal to me at all....
Graphite

Post by Graphite »

So I've been trying my hand at Thaumcraft 2 this weekend and I must say that it looks like it has great potential (not to mention some awesome visual effects). At the moment, it's being more frustrating than fun though, as the Quaesitum might as well be a pool of lava; the net effect would be just about the same. I love that you have to research stuff before you can build it, but at the moment it just seems you can pour untold loads of resources into said research and get virtually nothing in return.

Since the mod has a rather steep learning curve anyhow, I am wondering whether I'm doing something wrong. The best replenishable research resource I've found so far are books (or bookcases) but even with those the chances at getting something useful are minimal. Am I just missing something here?