[Discussion] - Hardcore modes

If you want to get banned, this is the place to post.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: [Discussion] - Hardcore modes

Post by FlowerChild »

Alrin wrote:How would changing stone tools to require smooth stone change anything in any significant way?
The first moves of any new world base build are always the same. Punch tree, make pick, harvest stone, make furnace, make fuel for torches. So now we just have to add "smelt 10 cobble to get starting stone tools" to that? Seems like a change that doesn't really do anything other than being a change. Comparing that to the HCB which completely forces you to rethink how you do things, hardcore tools wouldn't make me change how I play at all. Just walk around with a stack of stone in your bag instead of cobble.
I have to agree. While many of the suggestions here are interesting, they don't really represent the same kind of fundamental changes to gameplay for minimal effort that the buckets did.

I find them intriguing, and if I were implementing MC from scratch, I might go this route in many instances, but to start modifying base-classes here and there just to alter the first five minutes of play seems excessive.

Hardcore Sheep might be good for a laugh, but honestly, I doubt I'll do it.
MrGrau

Post by MrGrau »

I can see suggestions for hardcore water, but what about hardcore ice?
Not as in it'll become more slippery, or whatever. But something along the lines of "it cannot be pushed with pistons" or mined with Silk Touch.
PatrickSJ

Post by PatrickSJ »

How about a mode where upon death you spawn at a random location more than 1 day (150 chunks away given 8 seconds / chunk, 20 minutes in 1 day) travel from your starting location? This means you will lose all items (given the 5 minute limit) and if you want to get back to base you'll have to find a way to get there without dying. If you didn't bother to remember your XYZ or setup landmarks it makes it that much harder to figure which direction to go.

That or you always lose all items upon death. Spawning far away from your base is just rub it in, but I know that finding your way can be easily fixed with a map display application.
Flesh_Engine

Post by Flesh_Engine »

Hardcore Wood: Saplings to sticks is the way to go. The Flint method brings too much tedium in the early game; finding at least one Gravel block, then mining and replacing it until you finally get a piece of flint isn't very enjoyable. Simply allowing to craft a Sapling into a Stick is the most elegant solution.

Hardcore Swimming; Increase the hungercost of swimming to about triple of what it is now (currently walking a block costs 0.01, swimming costs 0.015, jumping 0.2 and sprinting 0.1) Maybe couple this with the inability to swim upstream.

Hardcore Farming; Removing bonemeal as an option to accelerate growth is not a good idea imo. Consider that bonemeal requires you to still adhere to the growth rules of the plant it is used on, consumes a resource and requires manual application it is a step up from waiting for stuff to grow but still requires manual input. Maybe make it an ingredient for a dedicated fertilizer or introduce a % to successfully use bonemeal on a plant.
Increasing the light level requirement for wheat to 15 could also provide more of a challenge.

Hardcore Torches; This is a technical problem; each Torch would require tracking which would be a massive performance hit so don't think this is possible. (Consider that about every 11 block you'll be placing a torch...)

Hardcore Breeding; While the ideal would be that each Animal has its own 'foodgroup', this is currently not possible with the plants found in vMC (Pumpkins, Melons, dead shrubs and cacti are out). Instead of fiddling with extra plants or whatnot; a redesign of the Breeding feature could be a possibility although this is then no longer a "hardcore=0/1" option. Stuff like a dedicated pen for an animal couple, requiring access to water and maybe some sort of Wheatblock to feed from each with periodic supplements of other plants could lead to successful breeding. But that topic would lead us too far currently, although i think this kind of "enviromental requirement" for husbandry would pan out great for BTW's general intent.

Hardcore Axles; i'm against; too much of a two edged sword that can be used in the players advantage and illogical if it only works on the player.

Hardcore Beds; Instead of disallowing players to skip nights, consider the reverse. If they don't sleep every couple of MC nights then they'll suffer hunger; effectively weakening the player if he's unable to sleep. Of course the allowable sleeping radius should be increased. (Currently 10) This forces players to return to base or erect encampments abroad.
"An engine of flesh can do that..." // "Man feed Machine. Machine feed Man..."
pi4t

Post by pi4t »

Well, it does make you want to set up a furnace room earlier, and encourages you to reach the crucible. Mind you, when you reach the crucible you get infinite steel tools anyway, and I normally set up a furnace bank early to make my house out of stone bricks!
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

Flesh_Engine wrote: Hardcore Axles; i'm against; too much of a two edged sword that can be used in the players advantage and illogical if it only works on the player.
Why would it only work on the player? All the other damage sources affect mobs as well. And why would it be overpowered even if it wound up getting used as a base defense? Axles can't be as easily mass produced as cactus can and such a thing would work essentially the same way as a cactus barrier around a base.
Better is the enemy of Good
CreeperCommando

Post by CreeperCommando »

DaveYanakov wrote:
Flesh_Engine wrote: Hardcore Axles; i'm against; too much of a two edged sword that can be used in the players advantage and illogical if it only works on the player.
Why would it only work on the player? All the other damage sources affect mobs as well. And why would it be overpowered even if it wound up getting used as a base defense? Axles can't be as easily mass produced as cactus can and such a thing would work essentially the same way as a cactus barrier around a base.

Note that then it would be a cheaper mob-grinder compared to saws, if it was only knock-back, I'd think this idea would perhaps be better.... but as soon as they can damage, it's rather easy to misuse. Note though that only knock-back could also give weird effects, for one you could effectively create the same kind of entity catapults as we once saw in the piston mod, perchance not as abusable if lower knock-back distance + random directions.
But what happens with waterwheels + windmills? Aren't they entities too?
Ribky wrote:Right into the hibachi? Damn man, God hates your windmill more than he hates the uncircumcised.
FC wrote:"You have defeated zrog the mighty! Have a potato."
FC wrote: "Does Dung Float?"
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

CreeperCommando wrote:But what happens with waterwheels + windmills? Aren't they entities too?
They are entities, but they aren't the same type of thing as living things, and plenty of code only works on living thing entities.
CreeperCommando

Mason11987 wrote:
CreeperCommando wrote:But what happens with waterwheels + windmills? Aren't they entities too?
They are entities, but they aren't the same type of thing as living things, and plenty of code only works on living thing entities.

Yeah that's my initial guess to, but if I remember correctly aren't you able to destroy a windmill with arrows?
Ribky wrote:Right into the hibachi? Damn man, God hates your windmill more than he hates the uncircumcised.
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

CreeperCommando wrote:
Mason11987 wrote:

Yeah that's my initial guess to, but if I remember correctly aren't you able to destroy a windmill with arrows?
Yeah, same with minecarts/boats and paintings though.

There are several levels of grouping for entities.

One contains all of them
Within that are living entities, and other stuff,
Within other stuff are things like boats/minecarts/windmill/watermill/painting which have "damage" and (I believe) a separate group containing things like chests/furnaces.

This is only based on my limited knowledge of the codebase and assumptions about how FC did windmills/watermills. Also it's a simplification, but I thin kit gets the point across.
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

When a windmill is destroyed by an arrow it looks more like having an object in the space occupied by the windmill causes it to break, sort of like how water wheels break if the water driving them freezes into ice. Might be wrong on this but hitting the sails with a sword doesn't break it quite as easily and a longsword does rather more damage.
Better is the enemy of Good
CreeperCommando

Well, to return to origin of tangent.... My reasoning is windmill+ waterwheels sits on axles. They show 'receive damage' behaviour. Aforementioned axles deals damage => My concern with 'hardcore axles'

Although I believe my point about damage from axles leading to making saws moot is more important though.....
Flesh_Engine

Post by Flesh_Engine »

DaveYanakov wrote:
You misread; what i said was a) if it does damage to mobs AND player then it's OP (easier to use as defense than cactus, etc) and b) It is illogical to have them only damage the player since their is no logical explanation for this.
"An engine of flesh can do that..." // "Man feed Machine. Machine feed Man..."
Itamarcu

Post by Itamarcu »

I just found this mod:

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/796 ... -released/

It behaves like the above suggestions for better wood chopping.

P.S. I hate to say "There is already a mod to that :)
You know what you should read? Worm. Here you go: https://parahumans.wordpress.com/catego ... tion/1-01/
whynocheese

Post by whynocheese »

What about hardcore food like if the food sits in your inventory to long it becomes rotten/spoiled