BTW Pure Mods

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
MoRmEnGiL

Re: BTW Pure Mods

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

I guess then we have different definitions of what BtW pure means :P
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
Zhil

Post by Zhil »

MoRmEnGiL wrote:I guess then we have different definitions of what BtW pure means :P
Not really. Like I said, excellent mod and I love it, but it won't be "BTW pure" until FC tackles XP farming, etc, at which point I'll probably add it to the list :)
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

Hmm I see what you mean, it is just that for me, btw pure mods are mods that add mechanism components that do not feel out of place or overpowered :P
War..
War never changes.

Zhil

Post by Zhil »

MoRmEnGiL wrote:Hmm I see what you mean, it is just that for me, btw pure mods are mods that add mechanism components that do not feel out of place or overpowered :P
Yeah, and it certainly succeeds in that, but my definition is slightly different, I also add that if they encroach on BTW terrain, they must abide by BTW's rules to be pure. Until BTW deals with XP farming, this mod forces you to go out and kill mobs, something that BTW shuns, since it is built upon vMC's strengths and considers battle mechanics a weakness.

As said though, it's only marginally affecting BTW balance and will be fixed in the coming updates, at which point I'll gladly add it to the list :)
Sky_Som

Post by Sky_Som »

Gilberreke wrote:
MoRmEnGiL wrote:Hmm I see what you mean, it is just that for me, btw pure mods are mods that add mechanism components that do not feel out of place or overpowered :P
Yeah, and it certainly succeeds in that, but my definition is slightly different, I also add that if they encroach on BTW terrain, they must abide by BTW's rules to be pure. Until BTW deals with XP farming, this mod forces you to go out and kill mobs, something that BTW shuns, since it is built upon vMC's strengths and considers battle mechanics a weakness.

As said though, it's only marginally affecting BTW balance and will be fixed in the coming updates, at which point I'll gladly add it to the list :)
You also get XP for crafting(Non mod content) and mining. Thats where most my XP comes from (The rest comes from killing mobs for fun.)
Minecraft Name:Sky_Som
Zhil

Post by Zhil »

Sky_Som wrote:You also get XP for crafting(Non mod content) and mining. Thats where most my XP comes from (The rest comes from killing mobs for fun.)
Really? Because that would be a reason not to include it at all. That seems like a very cheap mechanic.
Curator

Post by Curator »

Gilberreke wrote:
Sky_Som wrote:You also get XP for crafting(Non mod content) and mining. Thats where most my XP comes from (The rest comes from killing mobs for fun.)
Really? Because that would be a reason not to include it at all. That seems like a very cheap mechanic.
Yeah, I took a look at Level Up!, and I have to say I really like what it does with the leveling system (because after playing 1.0 for nearly a week now, I've come to loathe the enchanting system and lament the failure that I see EXP to be), I think BTW + Level Up! doesn't quite work. I like the ideas behind both of the mods very much, but they don't work together. Level Up! gives exp rewards-- and thus passive bonuses-- from things like crafting, harvesting, and farming most anything, in addition to the vanilla method of kills. For example, it looks like you can effectively "sacrifice" stacks of materials for exp. Now with BTW's heavy focus on automation, that makes EXP incredibly cheap; as you can just fill your chests with bread and books and pumpkins and all sorts of replenishable things from fancy auto-farms, then convert all those stacks of surplus supplies into EXP. I think that just makes it a little too overpowered, and the two mods are better left separate.

But, having said that, I will acknowledge that again, both mods are very cool, and I like the ideas behind both as different directions to evolve Minecraft in. I'll also admit that I haven't given Level Up! a try, and have only read up on it and watched a few videos, so I could be greatly misjudging it and its possible synergy with BTW.

And lastly, of course, this is just my (ill-informed?) opinion.
YMMV.
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

After checking the mod out a bit, I have to say, I am adamant in my view of it not fitting btw at all..

It just.. feels very weird. To reiterate what I was trying to say earlier on, a BtW pure mod for me, is a mod that doesn't really alter vMC mechanics, but merely expands upon them. Leveling up and allocating skill points feels totally alien to MC for me. But that's just me :]
War..
War never changes.

Chuffy

Post by Chuffy »

Anyone know if KAEVATOR TIMBER FRAMING V1.5 mod plays well with BTW? Im quite keen on some big medieval village type thing going on :D
Zhil

Post by Zhil »

Chuffy wrote:Anyone know if KAEVATOR TIMBER FRAMING V1.5 mod plays well with BTW? Im quite keen on some big medieval village type thing going on :D
I don't think this is the thread for compatibility questions. Timber framing is not a BTW pure mod by any stretch either :)
Curator

Post by Curator »

Dang it. I hate to ask this, because I know General Incompetence is quite frowned upon in this forum, but do you think you could upload your minecraft.jar or something, Gil? I've spent more hours than I'd like to admit trying to get all these mods working together, and while i've made considerable process, I still can't get all the desired mods installed all at once without minecraft refusing to work.

I'm using (and installed in this order):
Better Than Wolves
Railcraft
Better Ore Distribution
Zombie Awareness
Nightmare Mode
Lava Furnace
Soul Cages

My biggest successes so far have been BTW+BOD+ZA+NM (which after finding out it successfully worked, i decided to try over and include railcraft, as i had opted to exclude it to see if it was causing the troubles; so i never tried LF or SC with those), and then I got BTW+RC+BOD+ZA+NM to load minecraft properly, but I didn't spend time testing it, and realized afterwards that I hadn't yet put RC in the mods folder. After that, I put RC in the folder as necessary, then installed LF and SC, and minecraft can't get past the Mojang logo, now.

I don't mean to turn this thread into mod support, and if this post seems to be doing that I will promptly delete it, but can you perhaps help me figure out where I royally fucked up?
Zhil

Post by Zhil »

Oh well, that's an easy one to fix. Here's my MCPatcher set-up:

Curator

Post by Curator »

...Y'know, using MCPatcher sounds like it would have been a great idea from the get-go. Excuse me while i download it and educate myself in it's usage. :P

(Thanks so much!)
Andellmere

Post by Andellmere »

Okay... This is going to seem terribly off-topic from the current conversation, but I've been without internet for a long while now and need to get something off my chest.

THANK YOU!! to whoever(I believe it was jorge) suggested Little Blocks. I now have an effective blueprint system so I don't spend hours building something only for it to come out not quite right.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled discussion.
Need a combination door? I've got one you can use.
Chuffy

Post by Chuffy »

Gilberreke wrote:
Chuffy wrote:Anyone know if KAEVATOR TIMBER FRAMING V1.5 mod plays well with BTW? Im quite keen on some big medieval village type thing going on :D
I don't think this is the thread for compatibility questions. Timber framing is not a BTW pure mod by any stretch either :)
In what way is it not a BTW pure mod? Creating medieval style housing and bridges doesnt fit in with BTW but having railcraft tracks everywhere does?
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

Railcraft and BTW have similar design philosophies behind them, and both just expand upon what you have in vMC. Timber takes away a part of vMC by making getting word easier, not to mention that if you had it installed with BTW you would never feel the need to make an auto tree farm.
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

Because btw pure mods in our eyes means mods that are not just aesthetic mods, but I would consider the mod you suggested more fitting with btw than that level up mod personally..
War..
War never changes.

Chuffy

Post by Chuffy »

walker_boh_65 wrote:Railcraft and BTW have similar design philosophies behind them, and both just expand upon what you have in vMC. Timber takes away a part of vMC by making getting word easier, not to mention that if you had it installed with BTW you would never feel the need to make an auto tree farm.
Ah no its not that mod, I dont use anything like that, it just lets you make frame work to clad houses in a tudor stylee :) Im all for water sluices and auto farming myself I just like it to have a nice look too

walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

Oh, that mod, now I do not see a reason why it doesnt fit in with the mod, it just adds a few blocks that makes things look good, perhaps Gil mixed the two up as I did?
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

Andellmere wrote:THANK YOU!! to whoever(I believe it was jorge) suggested Little Blocks. I now have an effective blueprint system so I don't spend hours building something only for it to come out not quite right.
Well, your welcome :) But actually, the first to mention it was sargunster, so credit is his. I decided not to try the mod until the redstone bugs were fixed, so I actually never even used it. I hope they fix it to, it looks like a fun mod to play.
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
Zhil

Post by Zhil »

walker_boh_65 wrote:Oh, that mod, now I do not see a reason why it doesnt fit in with the mod, it just adds a few blocks that makes things look good, perhaps Gil mixed the two up as I did?
No, I didn't. Timber framing adds nothing to BTW, it's just another aesthetic mod. It's a fun one and a good one, but unless you can show me how it synergizes with BTW, I don't see the point of including it in a thread with mods that go well with BTW.
Mr_Hosed

Post by Mr_Hosed »

Frankly I refuse to play with out Timber or Tree-Capitator. Floating trees = annoying, not fun. Likewise, planting 64 sapplings in your "grove", waiting for them to grow, and then chopping them all down isn't nearly as much fun as coming up with some clever gizmo to detect, harvest, and replant your trees. Even if with Timber you can do the former in 15 minutes and the latter may take hours to build.

Most every form of automation in Minecraft and BTW takes a large amount of time investment to get running when compared to doing what you're automating by hand. The key is the automation is more fun to build. I don't see Timber or similar mods interferring in that.
Zhil

Post by Zhil »

Mr_Hosed wrote:Frankly I refuse to play with out Timber or Tree-Capitator. Floating trees = annoying, not fun. Likewise, planting 64 sapplings in your "grove", waiting for them to grow, and then chopping them all down isn't nearly as much fun as coming up with some clever gizmo to detect, harvest, and replant your trees. Even if with Timber you can do the former in 15 minutes and the latter may take hours to build.

Most every form of automation in Minecraft and BTW takes a large amount of time investment to get running when compared to doing what you're automating by hand. The key is the automation is more fun to build. I don't see Timber or similar mods interferring in that.
You are talking about the wrong mod man. Timber framing adds a bunch of blocks that look like tudor houses, nothing to do with trees.
Mr_Hosed

Post by Mr_Hosed »

Gilberreke wrote: You are talking about the wrong mod man. Timber framing adds a bunch of blocks that look like tudor houses, nothing to do with trees.
Heh, I know. Two mods, similar names. However, I was responding to those who felt that the Timber/Tree-capitator mods weren't a good fit with BTW because they eliminate the need to create auto-tree farms. As I said above, with 99% of the automation systems built in vMC and BTW there's no real "need". They're just more fun to build then doing the tedium of manual labor.
The great randomo

Post by The great randomo »

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/361 ... rt-moving/
I found this mod yesterday, and haven't tried it out yet, but it looks quite good. It isn't a technical mod, but it adds some cool things.
Just a side note, but will these mods become incompatible with the break from forge?
Chris Martin wrote:The morning is for sleeping.